Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've watched the first half and it was absolutely incredible. Should probably get started on the second half since that's almost finished now I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

I've watched the first half and it was absolutely incredible. Should probably get started on the second half since that's almost finished now I think.

I think it either is or just about to.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

I think it either is or just about to.

last ep is today

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5f81w0

Re:Creators PV3

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

early front runner for best character of spring 2017

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Endorph posted:

i don't think anything incesty happens, but on the other hand, he's 15 and she's 12.

Iirc it's revealed that the sister's main goal is to marry her big brother.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

I think that PV might have sold me on this, but for some reason I get the feeling it'll be really pretentious? Idk, hopefully I'm proven wrong

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

why

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I think that PV might have sold me on this, but for some reason I get the feeling it'll be really pretentious? Idk, hopefully I'm proven wrong

It's by the Black Lagoon guy, so there's decent odds on a bunch of rambly cod-philosophy, but it'll probably be massively outweighed by the ridiculous, balls-to-the-wall action (plus a bunch of delightfully terrifying ladies who Rei Hiroe would very much like to have step on him).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That PV doesn't look pretentious in the slightest to me, tho I do think that something like that could get convoluted.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Admittedly, I think that 99% of the time pretentious is just a bad word to use when talking about media.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Admittedly, I think that 99% of the time pretentious is just a bad word to use when talking about media.

I think it can be handy when used to mean 'aspiring to depth and profundity that your writing quality can't handle'. I mean, that's subjective, but so are most terms used to criticise literature.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It looks a lot like someone trying to do Fate Stay/Night again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I think it can be handy when used to mean 'aspiring to depth and profundity that your writing quality can't handle'. I mean, that's subjective, but so are most terms used to criticise literature.

In some situations yeah but most of the time it can just color a discussion in a certain way that's best avoided, in this gamer's opinion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

i think everything should aspire to some kind of depth and profundity, even if its' telling a simple story or story isn't the main focus of the endeavor. stuff that tries and fails is interesting, not pretentious.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fangz posted:

It looks a lot like someone trying to do Fate Stay/Night again.

It's fate but like instead of historical figures they're paired up with different anime genres?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hopefully they all live, rather than dying horribly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Hopefully they all live, rather than dying horribly.
ah, you mean like half the f/sn endings

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Endorph posted:

i think everything should aspire to some kind of depth and profundity, even if its' telling a simple story or story isn't the main focus of the endeavor. stuff that tries and fails is interesting, not pretentious.

:confused: Nobody said that shows shouldn't aspire to have depth, but if a show can't live up to those aspirations, pretentious is an accurate word for that. It's not like pretentious and interesting are mutually exclusive terms either.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sam Faust posted:

:confused: Nobody said that shows shouldn't aspire to have depth, but if a show can't live up to those aspirations, pretentious is an accurate word for that. It's not like pretentious and interesting are mutually exclusive terms either.

I attribute pretentious not as aspiring for depth and failing, but aspiring, failing, and acting like it has clearly succeeded.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

I attribute pretentious not as aspiring for depth and failing, but aspiring, failing, and acting like it has clearly succeeded.

Example: Fractale.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, what should a show do, act like it's failed?

episode 7: "actually, capitalism... is bad :twisted:'

episode 8: "poo poo, sorry, i hosed that up. im sorry. this show sucks. we should all go home."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

episode 8: "poo poo, sorry, i hosed that up. im sorry. this show sucks. we should all go home."

I guess not getting too self-serious. 'Pretentiousness' usually implies a degree of failed drama, where a lighter touch might have made the wobbly messaging go down a bit smoother.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

im episode 8

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

Isn't that basically Eureka 7 AO?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess not getting too self-serious. 'Pretentiousness' usually implies a degree of failed drama, where a lighter touch might have made the wobbly messaging go down a bit smoother.
failed drama is cooler than successful drama, ime

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't like pretentious as a word, it's pretty meaningless and seems to just be an annoying way to say 'I don't like what this show is attempting'.

On the other hand ReCreators looks bad.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

why

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i mean, it is by the aldnoah zero studio, directed by the guy whose works include aldnoah.zero, fate/zero, ga-rei zero, and for some reason girls bravo

i think what they're trying to get at is, it might present itself like it's The Next Big Thing, and that it's a masterpiece in writing and presentation, when really it's pretty ordinary and shallow. i think Aldnoah was a little bit that? like it sort of showed us a pretty mundane and sorta flawed yet enjoyable thing with robots, but it was kind of a blowhard about it with its super dramatic soundtrack and Ominous Taglines and a huge marketing multimedia presence

and well, inevitably, this show is going to draw comparison to Concrete Revolutio, a show that almost had too MUCH depth and struggled to actually present it a little. on a surface level in terms of the action presented, it's the same premise, in that the action has members from a ton of different genres instead of just one. But where Revolutio primarily drew them from the now esotericism of the classics (there's an Ultraman, there's a cross between Tetsujin and Super Sentai, the cyborg cop and Jaguar...okay i'm bad at the classics but I know these concepts are older), and additionally filtered it through a pulpy 80s comic book conspiracy setting, Re:Creators has its entries more derived from the current fare and so doesn't look all that special on the surface. I'm not seeing as much of Aldnoah's 'THIS WILL BE THE ANIME OF THE YEAR' sorta marketing going on but eh

i might sound like I'm cynical but it's still one of the shows I'm most on board for, because despite all that I still think Troyca has a lot of potential, and they obviously put a lot of goddamn effort into their other two productions, their One Problem is so far a lack of really solid, thoughtful writers

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://vine.co/v/OEZ6mg32MQt/

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I'm not going to watch ReCreators

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

i mean, it is by the aldnoah zero studio, directed by the guy whose works include aldnoah.zero, fate/zero, ga-rei zero, and for some reason girls bravo

and well, inevitably, this show is going to draw comparison to Concrete Revolutio, a show that almost had too MUCH depth and struggled to actually present it a little. on a surface level in terms of the action presented, it's the same premise, in that the action has members from a ton of different genres instead of just one. But where Revolutio primarily drew them from the now esotericism of the classics (there's an Ultraman, there's a cross between Tetsujin and Super Sentai, the cyborg cop and Jaguar...okay i'm bad at the classics but I know these concepts are older), and additionally filtered it through a pulpy 80s comic book conspiracy setting, Re:Creators has its entries more derived from the current fare and so doesn't look all that special on the surface. I'm not seeing as much of Aldnoah's 'THIS WILL BE THE ANIME OF THE YEAR' sorta marketing going on but eh

By that logic, Concrete Revolutio was by the director of the first Full Metal Alchemist anime which also wasn't that great in retrospect. Also as an aside there was nothing 80s about ConRevo, it was explicitly set in the 60s to 70s.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
im going to watch re creators to see what adventures not-madoka gets up to, as well as stern background portuguese water dog

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm going to watch Re:Creators for Rei Hiroe's trademark Scary Women.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

By that logic, Concrete Revolutio was by the director of the first Full Metal Alchemist anime which also wasn't that great in retrospect. Also as an aside there was nothing 80s about ConRevo, it was explicitly set in the 60s to 70s.

that's what i meant but i'm bad at decades. and what i was getting at is that that's almost EVERYTHING that director and studio have done. Troyca was founded specifically for Aldnoah and their only other thing was that Sakurako show, the writer has pretty much only done Black Lagoon and like...Gunparade March??? And the only show of the director's I left out was Wandering Son which was...wait holy crap how did I not know about this show before, one that looks like it might actually be insightful about actual transgenderism in Japan? ...and...written by Mari Okada? okay I don't know how to feel about that.

basically these people are hella unpredictable because their portfolios are short and yet all over the place, so it's understandable to not know what the hell this might be

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 20, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

also the first kara no kyoukai movie

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I will say that I'm happy to see the Aldnoah mechanical designer getting more work. The Kataphrakts were pretty universally rad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'll watch Re:Creators to see if the MC is less insufferable than Shirou Emiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Gyra Solune pretty much nailed my thoughts on ReCreators looking kinda ordinary

That being said I rewatched the PV soon after seeing it the first time and I'm actually kinda excited for it now

• Locked thread