Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

al-azad posted:

I like the audio logs read by B list voice actor celebrities although I hear the actual direction of the game is a middle finger to them which just makes me hate Blow as a designer even more.

How can the direction of a video game be a middle finger to b list voice actors? Does it insult their union or something? Idgi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

How can the direction of a video game be a middle finger to b list voice actors? Does it insult their union or something? Idgi.

I meant that The Witness is supposedly about making fun of pretentious art games with audio logs although you can never tell with blow because he just likes listening to himself talk.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

al-azad posted:

I meant that The Witness is supposedly about making fun of pretentious art games with audio logs although you can never tell with blow because he just likes listening to himself talk.

huh, I didn't really get that impression from it at all

vv yeah I didn't see it as mocking anything really, except maybe jblow himself

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 5, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I didn't get that impression even before finding the extra stuff that put things in the Witness into perspective.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
COMPLETED: Hollow Knight
Fantastic game, I enjoyed it all the way through. Was worried in the beginning it might be too easy to be interesting, but it definitely ramps up. I did end up looking up a map so I could 100% it (in game, not cheevos wise). Riddled with annoying technical bugs that showed up a couple times every few hours, but the developer(s) are actively working on those. The Dark Souls influence is extremely blatant (like half a step away from Salt & Sanctuary levels) but with its own twist of bug people. I think they pulled it off fairly well. Memorable and very fun bosses and I mostly enjoyed the optional areas/bosses that were a big step up in difficulty. I don't see myself coming back unless there's DLC since I exhausted the playthrough as much as I could (getting all the endings as well).

UP NEXT: Night in the Woods
Played it for about 10 minutes and it had already hooked me. I think I'm going to enjoy going through and see all the characters even if that's all what the game ends up being.

BACKLOG: Tides of Numenera
Also opened this for about 15 minutes. Combat looks positively dreadful even just from the tutorial run through, but I read they're few and far between so I'll give it a real shot after Night in the Woods.

BACKLOG: Resident Evil 7
Have about 4-5 hours in it, not really getting anything out of it. Kooky, spooky hick family was kind of amusing in their introduction but I'm already over it. Gonna try to force myself to finish it this month, I don't think it's too long.

BACKLOG: Total War: Warhammer
Got this and a handful others in the bundle. No idea if I'll like it. I feel I'll probably NULL it fairly quickly unless it unexpectedly grabs me.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 5, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I haven't played TW:WH, but if you have several in the series you might want to start with a more mechanically simple one, or even just a real world era that interests you. If a TW game hooks you prepare to lose Civ-levels of life to them, they're very easy to pour 200 hours into.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Nulled - Don't Starve Together and Terraria: Played them with a friend for about an hour each. Not my style.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Khablam posted:

I haven't played TW:WH, but if you have several in the series you might want to start with a more mechanically simple one, or even just a real world era that interests you. If a TW game hooks you prepare to lose Civ-levels of life to them, they're very easy to pour 200 hours into.

The Civ/Overworld part of it is simple enough, but actual battles are a lot more foreign to me. I don't know if I should be microing squads more or less since making them run out of a fight might cause them to take damage for free. I get flanks have a sort of double effect of damaging morale and maybe causing more damage. Should I just make a wide as line of my army so when they meet the enemy they just collapse? Right now I just run my dudes in their dudes, send the horses to their bowmen and zoom in and out a few time waiting to see what happens.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: I pulled this one out of the nulled category for another attempt. Frankly it's a pretty bad game; the puzzles are more Sierra than LucasArts in the amount of trial-and-error and deaths involved, and it's extremely light on charm, dialogue, characters, etc. - those things that made the later LA adventures so memorable. Plot-wise it's a gutted version of the film. The good stuff is the art and having multiple paths / solutions to areas and puzzles. Still not really worth playing to be honest.

Secrets of Raetikon: There are some nice ideas in the gameplay but on a keyboard the controls are a little clunky. The art is lovely, though, and overall it's a pretty pleasant experience. The ending is... well the idea is okay, if trite, but the execution is somewhat embarrassing.

Torment: Tides of Numenera: It's really, really good. A worthy spiritual successor that capably stands on its own as well. Played it twice in quick succession which is highly unusual for me. As a backer I'm very happy.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
In a fit of madness I bought Far Cry 3, 4, and Primal during the sale. My Steam list is huge already so this thread sounds like a good place to start.

From my one friend who's played the Far Cry series, the general consensus boils down to FC 2 = FC 3 > FC 4 > FC Primal. The reviews I read mostly knocked Primal for being a retread of the previous entries minus guns. The negative scores come mostly from being more of the same. I know what they're talking about since I experienced the same thing with the Assassin's Creed franchise but I really like the premise of Far Cry Primal.

I think doing the "worst" game first will give it enough of a fair shake and inoculate me from the same ol' same ol' attitude. So far I'm really digging it. I'm playing it at the hardest difficulty and it's kind of a challenge, but I'm wondering if I should start over and see if Survivor Mode adds to or takes away from the fun.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Primal got poo poo on for being a re-skin of 4 which doesn't do anything interesting narratively.
I would honestly play them in order, as you then have a linear progress of mechanics and things won't feel worsened.
2 -> 3 -> (blood dragon if you got that) -> 4

Honestly you can skip primal for a later steam clearance.
I wouldn't play primal first as the best one (4) would feel copied from that some; I'd rather go into 4 being unspoiled on it's setup so it feels like a fresh and good game.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

The Civ/Overworld part of it is simple enough, but actual battles are a lot more foreign to me. I don't know if I should be microing squads more or less since making them run out of a fight might cause them to take damage for free. I get flanks have a sort of double effect of damaging morale and maybe causing more damage. Should I just make a wide as line of my army so when they meet the enemy they just collapse? Right now I just run my dudes in their dudes, send the horses to their bowmen and zoom in and out a few time waiting to see what happens.
There's threads that'll better help you here, but generally you want to micro as much as you can and try to triage problems first and create advantages when everything seems level.
On a macro level, outside of set scenarios (or whatever it names them there) you can use the map to pick your battles. Take fights you're sure to win and aim for complete domination, then go from there.
Your first campaign will go to poo poo anyway, it always does.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Time Mysteries I: Inheritance. A thoroughly average hidden object game. It's not particularly good, but it's not that bad either. Having said that, it's the best of the Time Mysteries trilogy.

MASTERED: ICEY. This game is loving amazing. It's like The Stanley Parable with actual gameplay. Like all games with this kind of meta theme, there's very little that can be said without spoilers, but trust me, you should buy this right now.

COMPLETED: Time Mysteries II: The Ancient Spectres. A sequel, just as middle-of-the-road as the first one.

COMPLETED: DIvinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. Rather slow to start; it takes about 5 hours or so to really get going. It's a good game, and has a better combat system than most RPGs do, but it's not exactly Game of the Year material to me. In many ways it feels like a throwback to the first game, Divine Divinity; which might be what the developers were aiming for. Ultimately, it passes the time nicely but doesn't leave any strong memories or emotions once it's over.

COMPLETED: Time Mysteries III: The Final Enigma. Another bland HOG. I don't mean to sound too harsh about the Time Mysteries trilogy; they're OK but nothing special. I may be damning with faint praise here.

COMPLETED: Viking: Battle for Asgard. A semi-open world action game that's basically okay but nothing more. The running theme of the past couple months, it seems. Seriously though, it's very repetitive and not that memorable. Give it a try, but don't expect it to blow your mind.

COMPLETED: Crime Secrets: Crimson Lily. One of the better HOGs out there, with semi-decent plot and writing and above-average puzzles too. Recommended.

Next up: It's time to suck it up and install the oldest untouched game in my Steam library - Sword of the Stars II.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Dragon Age: Inquisition

I had a very quiet couple of weeks at work and fancied myself something long and epic. And, with Witcher 3 having faded from memory enough to enjoy a lesser RPG I fired this up. I've played through Origins, Awakening and II and largely enjoyed each of them, and despite all the entirely justified naysaying about II I just set the difficulty to easy and steamrollered through it enjoying the silly story.

But Inquisition really knocks the rest of the series into a cocked hat. There's a bunch of entirely justifiable stuff to criticise in the game. The setting is pretty bland fantasy, there's lot of filler quests, the bad guy is like something out of a Saturday morning cartoon and the general situation of 'rifts' opening up and spewing monsters into the countryside is suspiciously identical to Oblivion.

But on the flip side I really enjoyed the progression of building up my Inquisition into an army - travelling around recruiting people and sending them out on missions around the world. I also had a surprisingly fun time playing with the armor and weapon creation tools, which doesn't quite break the game but certainly bends it a bit.

Mostly I just dug the characters and world. Bioware aren't breaking any boundaries here, but there's a tonne of stuff to explore at your own pace. Right up to the end the game was surprising me with gigantic open maps crammed with sidequests and dungeons. If you ignore the obvious boring "collect ten ram's horns" quests they're usually pretty good quests too. The main missions are also all nicely choreographed, with the highlight being a great imperial ball sequence where you have to charm the party and stop assassins.

Oh yeah, and I shagged the beefy bondage bull man. He's clearly the best choice.

Good times (and considering I paid $5 for it and played it 70 hours great value for money). I'm interested for the expansions, though as far as I can see only the last one is really crucial. Any tips?

BEATEN: The Last Guardian

Got this for Christmas and had been putting it off a bit because I'd heard it was a bit frustrating/disappointing. I was a huge fan of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus back in the day and didn't want to be let down. Daaaaamn what an idiot I was.

This game is loving outstanding and interacting with Trico is like nothing else I've ever experience in a videogame before. I can only figure that people who complain about him not doing exactly what they want at a moment's notice have never had a pet, or just don't have much patience. There's this fantastic gameplay loop of observing the environment from both your POV and what you imagine Trico's is, then looking at what he's doing and trying to get inside his head, then trying to knit the whole train of thought together into (what feels like) an organic solution.

Plus the general Ueda aesthetic and minimalist plotting is very much my poo poo. Yeah the framerate can be a bit variable, but it actually annoyed me just once in a very early scene with lots of foliage. Maybe it's a product of being a 90s kid growing up on N64 and SOTC on PS2, but as long as a game chugging a bit doesn't cause me to die, I'll bear with it.

Most games I play kinda sink into the memory after a bit, but this (and especially the outstanding ending) are going to stick around.

BEATEN: Doom 3

Was very sceptical about this, but I have a rule. I'm only allowed to play the latest in a franchise after I've completed the previous ones I already own. It's a (girlfriend encouraged) way of making sure I'm not blowing money on games I will never play. So, I own DOOM, but am not allowed to play it unless I make my way through the Doom games I already own. So far I've been through Ultimate Doom, Doom II, No Rest for the Living, The Master Levels, Final Doom, Doom 64 and now Doom 3.

Pretty much all of the poo poo thrown at this game sticks. It's overly dark, crammed with cheap scares, monsters teleporting behind you and has terrible weapons (this might feature the single worst shotgun I've ever used in a game).

Buuut, I can respect the technological leaps it makes. I'm playing the BFG edition, so looking at it through a smartened up HD lens, but this must have blown people away in 2004. I particularly enjoyed the seamless interface with the in game terminals (why haven't other games done this?)

Weirdly it actually gets a lot better in the final quarter of the game. A brief trip to Hell is a welcome change from metal corridors and from then on it starts throwing many more monsters at you. I think the criticism that it's not really a Doom game is a bit unfair - it is, just with somewhat limited ambition. I'm glad I played it before DOOM though, that game looks 10x better than this.

Oh well, gotta play Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Mission first...

BEATEN: RYSE

Recent bundle fodder and tossed up from the Randomizer list I use. It's not quite as bad as its reputation suggests, but it is still pretty bad. You are essentially doing the same thing ad nauseum (slice slice slice, QTE) in pretty environments. But I got through it and had a moderate amount of fun just enjoying the scenery and dumb-rear end plot. Perhaps it helped that I played through one level a night, meaning I couldn't get too bored of the tiny gameplay loop. Anyway, it's done and can be consigned to the 'beaten' list.

BEATEN: Virginia

I have no idea what the gently caress this game was about. You play an FBI Agent investigating your partner and trying to solve a missing persons case. Essentially you wander through environments and the game 'cuts' and dumps you in random places. One minute you're sitting in a restaurant, the next you're examining a dead baby bird, then someone hands you a stuffed buffalo. Eventually you drop acid and experience a range of possible futures?

I dig the flat shaded style and the great orchestral score, but gently caress me it's two confusing hours. The most I got out of it was a critique on race in the FBI - with the main character encouraged to report on her minority colleagues to further her career and perpetuate racism. But where the Satanic cult, UFOs, ghost buffalo and flower-picking fits into that beats me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'll update these with descriptions later but I'm hitting the hay for a quick nap

BEATEN: Virginia - Contrary to the previous person's post I really liked Virginia and I mostly understood it. It made a lot of sense in the credits when they listed 30 Flights of Loving as an inspiration.

BEATEN: Memoria - Sequel to The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav. Somewhat better than the first. The second protagonist is more interesting than Geron, but you still play as Geron for the majority of the game.

BEATEN-ISH: My Night Job - Odd little action game where you have to rescue 100 people from a mansion while also protecting the mansion from being destroyed. But then after you rescue the 100 people you're given TNT to destroy the mansion?? That doesn't really make any sense. I rescued the 100 people and so for me that's beaten. The additional bonus objective with the TNT that they sprang on me just doesn't fit logically so I reject it outright.

BEATEN: BARRIER X - Super twitchy microgame where you have to avoid walls flying at you super fast while also ducking the right way out of certain lanes and firing missiles at your rival. I can't believe I actually I unlocked all the levels in this thing. I'm too old for this poo poo!!!!!

BEATEN: Armed & Dangerous - Old Lucasarts third person shooter from the PS2/Xbox era, horrifying 3d models, the gameplay was alright but pretty easy.

BEATEN: Wyv & Keep - Puzzle platformer where you switch between two characters ala Lost Vikings.

BEATEN: Pixeljunk's Nom Nom Galaxy - Terraria-style game but with an actual objective: reach 100% market share on each planet, by selling more soup while curating said soup to match/avoid the trends. You can buy robots to automate your factory although for the most part you'll be doing a lot of the work.

DEAD IN THE WATER?: Return to Mysterious Island 2 - Has bizarre terrible framerate issue, and a google search reveals nothing. Compatibility settings change nothing. Tweaking the INI changes nothing. RIP

PLAYING: Stardew Valley (Y1 Fall), Abzu, HoPiKo, Knytt Underground, Trulon the Shadow Engine, Dead End Road

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 17, 2017

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: Link's Awakening DX. 100% items, including the bonus dungeon, but missed some of the photos you can get locked out of. Still calling it 100%ed. This has pretty much sealed my opinion on "Everything I don't really like about Zelda games is the fault of Link's Awakening", and since my current top 3 Zelda games are Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask, and the original Zelda 1, that checks out.

But hey, the whole reason I'd been playing LADX was because I'd dug out my old Game Boy, and I still have a bunch of cartridges for it too. Let's blow through all those real quick.

Metroid II. This cartridge glitched out on me the last time I tried to run it, but now it's running fine. :confused: Anyway, there's totally no reason to bother with this now that AM2R exists.

Nemesis. A bit better than I remember! I mostly remember it being a terrible Gradius port, and it's merely a mediocre Gradius port.

Gradius: Interstellar Assault. Apparently "Nemesis II" everywhere else. This is a lot better than I remember it; there's between-level cutscenes and you fly around Doing Stuff and it's generally a richer Gradius experience than I'm used to seeing pretty much all the way through the series.

The Castlevania Adventure. Much worse than I remember. I had fond memories of this, but on revisit I have no idea why. You move incredibly slowly, enemy placement is beyond sadistic, to the point that abusing invulnerability is not only acceptable but clearly the intended approach. For added fun, getting hit lowers your whip power.

At least the soundtrack is as rocking as Game Boy soundtracks get.

SolarStriker. Exactly as bad as I remember. Completely uninspired Xevious-like with the beep-boopiest of beep-boop sounds and maybe two decent ideas. I suppose, strictly speaking, it was compelling enough that I played more than one game of it on the revisit.

Okay, enough portable gaming. It's been an embarassingly long time since I've actually finished a game on Steam, and that's what this thread is actually about.

BEATEN: Starward Rogue. Take Binding of Isaac, remove all the hosed-up-ness, make it a faster and smoother bullet hell, set it in space and make it The Last Federation fanfic. Turns out that all of these things are improvements, in my book. Loads of unlockables, tons of enemy types, and—wonder of wonders—difficulty settings that actually mean something. Lots of kind of dumb shout-outs in the item names and metagame text, but, hey, one of them involved Boatmurdered.

ON DECK: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies has been sitting on my "now playing" list with no progress for a hilariously long time. Now that I've gotten the action-game bug out of my system a bit maybe I can make some progress on this.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ManxomeBromide posted:

COMPLETED: Link's Awakening DX. 100% items, including the bonus dungeon, but missed some of the photos you can get locked out of. Still calling it 100%ed. This has pretty much sealed my opinion on "Everything I don't really like about Zelda games is the fault of Link's Awakening", and since my current top 3 Zelda games are Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask, and the original Zelda 1, that checks out

explain yourself.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Khablam posted:

Honestly you can skip primal for a later steam clearance.
I wouldn't play primal first as the best one (4) would feel copied from that some; I'd rather go into 4 being unspoiled on it's setup so it feels like a fresh and good game.

So I loaded up Far Cry 4 and the game won't start. I spent all of a weekend troubleshooting and came up empty handed. But the .exe was running so it counted as being "played" and that means no refund.

vermin fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 15, 2017

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Nulled/"beat": BioShock 2 Remastered
I enjoyed B1, and when the remasters came around, I thought it was time to dive in to the underwater world again with Bioshock 2 Remastered.
Storywise I gave up at some point. I wasn't really sold on the weapon and ability modifiers either but I guess that's part of the Bioshock universe. The enemies were fun and generally I enjoyed the game up to a certain point. That point was level 7 (out of 9), where it kept crashing at different times. And since the autosave only worked when I was exiting the game through the menu system, and not when I had accomplished a goal, it meant starting the level over all the time if I had forgotten to save.
So, at the nth crash on level 7 (no crashes on earlier levels), I just said gently caress it. I've seen enough that in my mind I would have beaten it, but it was starting to get a bit stale anyway.
Asked in the Steam thread and Minerva's Den is apparently more of the same, though the story is better. Don't care about the story anyway, so I skipped that entirely.

Finished: Midnight Mysteries: Witches of Abraham
The latest in the MM series and a very well produced Hidden Object Game. Only really annoying thing was some of the collectibles were part of HO scenes, so if you finished the HO scene, but forgot to pick up the collectible, you could never go back to it again. It sucks if you try to 100% it, but that's about it.
Classic batshit insane story about the ghost of Abraham Lincoln.

Nulled: Trump Simulater 2017
Exceptionally bad game, even for bundle fodder.
Two Nintendo Game & Watch type games, that in complexity would fit into lesson 2 of the "Awful Game Construction Kit for C64" tutorial.
Sad!

Nulled: Driver: San Francisco
Pretty good arcade racer, but pure driving games are just not my cup of tea.
It's fun to drive around in SF, but after finishing Watch Dogs 2, it's just not the same. The city is more detailed (only played in the first section) but like all games where driving plays a big element, your first cars are skating around on a soap filled road, or so slow they are no good for anything.
Switching between cars is a nice addition and some of the non-story missions were pretty fun too.
1½ hours of that was enough for me though, but definitely grab this if you enjoy arcade racers.

Nulled: Life is Strange
I just played through the first episode of Life Is Strange.
It's just mind numbingly boring, the dialog of protagonist is insufferable, the whole polaroid camera thing is just... ugh.
I knew going in that it was a Telltale-style adventure experience, but it's just moving on with glacier-like speed that I almost fell asleep.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 16, 2017

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Completed: Hollow Knight
Amazing metroidvania. Great music, great art. Despite some flaws in how maps are handled and the lack of save points, the bosses, platforming, and general gameplay makes up for all that by far. I've gotten all the endings and 100% of the items. There were a few story things I couldn't trigger in one play through though.

Beaten: Orion Trail
Cute game. Got real tired of it quickly.

Nulled: Aerannis
I got pretty far in this game but I got tired of it. It's just exceedingly mediocre. I was drawn to it by the feminist/trans storyline and I was very curious what the developer was trying to say. But the gameplay doesn't make up for that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

n4 posted:

Nulled: Aerannis
I got pretty far in this game but I got tired of it. It's just exceedingly mediocre. I was drawn to it by the feminist/trans storyline and I was very curious what the developer was trying to say. But the gameplay doesn't make up for that.

If you have archives, there's a good LP of Aerannis here. It covers all of the story stuff and the LPer has some good criticisms of the story, too.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

al-azad posted:

explain yourself.

A fair request. Here goes.

Things I don't like about the Zelda formula: Giant but aggressively linear overworld in terms of what will make real progress. Trading sequences. Hunts for dozens if not hundreds of identical collectibles. The dungeon idiom of "find neat item in dungeon and then use it as the key element of beating the boss no matter how little sense it makes that this item would be useful in combat, much less a boss's one terrible weakness." LA doesn't do much of that final one but it makes up for it by having the trade sequence be mandatory.

Other than that I don't have anything I need to explain: these parts of the formula were clearly set by Link's Awakening, not by Ocarina of Time. And of my three favorite Zelda games, Zelda 1 and LBW are much more open-ended in terms of accomplishing major plot events, gimmick fights are rare, and there isn't any trading or skulltula/seashell hunts. Majora's Mask keeps the formulaic elements to some degree but flips enough expectations around that I stop disliking them as much. The overworld is more directed but the overworld is in a very real sense the primary focus of the game; skulltulas are a location-based subquest instead of a scavenger hunt from Hell; gimmickry in the boss fights is based around transformation masks instead of the actual items you find in the dungeons.

(Note that I have not played Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, Breath of the Wild, or any of the CDi games. I have played Phantom Hourglass, but seem to have given up on it after three or four temple dives.)

---

In terms of things that Definitely Aren't Zelda Games, I've made some decent progress in N++ while waiting for DOOM to download. I'm probably going to call that "done" for backlog purposes when I clear the first row of solo missions and the entire set of "intro" levels. Completion percentages of much of anything past that are quite alarmingly low.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you have archives, there's a good LP of Aerannis here. It covers all of the story stuff and the LPer has some good criticisms of the story, too.

Whoa awesome. Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fair enough. I soured on 3D Zelda's for the opposite reason, they all pretended to be open but the hubs were either barren or still blocked your progress like a 2D Zelda except now it takes 10 minutes to get to an area instead of 2. Majora's Mask being the lowest on my totem pole for how little actual content there is and the time mechanic repeats unskippable cutscenes, another 3D Zelda sin. Also there's an entire dungeon where the puzzle is literally trading items, one of them I'm certain you actually can't find in the dungeon!

But I digress, you haven't played the latter half of the 3D Zelda's to get their viewpoint. And if you like the first Zelda you would probably chain yourself in bed for Breath of the Wild which was intentionally designed as a look to the past that the original prototype looked like Zelda 1. I still think A Link Between Worlds is better simply because once I master BotW I will never have time in my life to replay it except as a speed run.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ManxomeBromide posted:

And of my three favorite Zelda games, Zelda 1 and LBW are much more open-ended in terms of accomplishing major plot events, gimmick fights are rare, and there isn't any trading or skulltula/seashell hunts.

Maiamai.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ManxomeBromide posted:

Other than that I don't have anything I need to explain: these parts of the formula were clearly set by Link's Awakening, not by Ocarina of Time. And of my three favorite Zelda games, Zelda 1 and LBW are much more open-ended in terms of accomplishing major plot events, gimmick fights are rare, and there isn't any trading or skulltula/seashell hunts. Majora's Mask keeps the formulaic elements to some degree but flips enough expectations around that I stop disliking them as much. The overworld is more directed but the overworld is in a very real sense the primary focus of the game; skulltulas are a location-based subquest instead of a scavenger hunt from Hell; gimmickry in the boss fights is based around transformation masks instead of the actual items you find in the dungeons.

Wind Waker, while I loved it, is pretty much Ocarina of Time/LttP, in terms of that whole formula. Great atmosphere, though, and the final fight with Ganondorf is probably my favourite Zelda boss fight ever.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

al-azad posted:

But I digress, you haven't played the latter half of the 3D Zelda's to get their viewpoint. And if you like the first Zelda you would probably chain yourself in bed for Breath of the Wild which was intentionally designed as a look to the past that the original prototype looked like Zelda 1. I still think A Link Between Worlds is better simply because once I master BotW I will never have time in my life to replay it except as a speed run.

Wind Waker is on my "I should probably pick that up at some point and feed it to the Wii over there" list. As for Breath of the Wild, I have indeed gotten the impression that it's aimed very much at me. I usually end up picking up Nintendo consoles after they've had time to get established, so I expect I'll get BotW sooner or later. That's not gonna help the Steam backlog though and I really should burn through at least the high-quality games I have sitting here unplayed.

Also, in case it isn't clear: I do like Zelda games, because when you don't like a long-running series you don't play twelve games from it and complete eleven. It's just the parts that I feel I have to forgive all seem to have gotten nailed down here.

Also, I totally didn't realize until too late that that thing in Majora's Mask was a trading sequence :aaa: I wandered around and saw a bunch of things they wanted and then came in loaded for bear with random crap from shops and harvested from Termina field.

ahem. Sorry. I've digressed enough. Steam backlogs!

I mentioned N++ in the previous post and one thousand deaths later I've achieved the level of accomplishment I wanted from it: all "intro" levels beaten, and the "Novice" achievement for clearing the first full mission set. 9.3% of players managed Novice status.

I figure I'll poke at this more over time—there is a ton of content in this game—but that's my "money's worth"/"nailed down the basics of what it wanted to train me to do" level.

Also: when I made that post about Link's Awakening, I started to download DOOM. It's due to finish in about an hour from now. :eng99: So I think that's up for the weekend.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

vermin posted:

So I loaded up Far Cry 4 and the game won't start. I spent all of a weekend troubleshooting and came up empty handed. But the .exe was running so it counted as being "played" and that means no refund.

Launch steam as an admin, and try launching FC4. That's often where Uplay games go wrong.
Failing that, verify the game files. Failing that, uninstall/reinstall FC4. Maybe try doing the same to lovely rear end uPlay. Clean install your GPU drivers if those fail.
That's kinda lovely that the refund is locked out but there's a high chance the 'fix' is pretty simple.

UPlay could just be having one of it's regular hiccups, too.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think I'm going to try and hop on this bandwagon. It feels good to complete games!

Completed: A Normal Lost Phone
This is a short little indie game about exploring a lost phone you found, and figuring out the story behind the person behind it. I had to look up some of the solutions to the puzzles, but I usually have to do that, so that's OK. The story really stuck with me for a simple little game. I even felt a little weird impersonating the fictional character to unlock more of the story!

Beaten: Solstice
This is a visual novel by the same dev as Cinders. It took me a while to get into it, but then I was hooked. Lots of choices although a lot of them don't change much, just minor dialogue. You play 2 characters who come to this magic domed city in the frozen north. Since it's winter, they are stuck there until the spring thaw. The characters are tasked with investigating a mystery, which leads them to find out about the dark side of the city and the inhabitants in it. Amazing art, beautiful music and a pretty good story. I got all 4 major endings which is good enough for me. To go full completest I would have get all variations in all endings and I'm not up to doing that.

Beaten: The Frostrune
This is a neat hidden object adventure game. You play a young girl in viking times who has been shipwrecked on an island after a storm. While there is a village on the island, it is mysteriously abandoned... What really drew me to this game is the fact that the developers made everything as historically accurate as possible. All the dialog is in Old Norse which is really cool. The graphics are very pretty as well, and there's some amazing music in it as well. The game has a built in walkthrough, while not as easy to use as some other HOGs, was still very helpful and welcome. The gameplay is standard HOG fair although you do gain the ability to switch between the regular world and the spirit world which is pretty cool.

Nulled: Blocks That Matter
Tried to give this another try after many, many years, but now I remember why I stopped playing in the first place, even though I love puzzle games. This is more of an action/puzzle game, and if you mess up a puzzle, there's no rewind button, you just have to hold the self destruct button and start over again, and that type of game is just not for me.

Nulled: Zup!
Figured if there are 4 of these games so far, I should give the one I own a try. It felt really random to me. I would click on a block to make an explosion and fail the level, but then click on the same block next time and I would pass.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Zaphiel posted:

Nulled: Blocks That Matter
Tried to give this another try after many, many years, but now I remember why I stopped playing in the first place, even though I love puzzle games. This is more of an action/puzzle game, and if you mess up a puzzle, there's no rewind button, you just have to hold the self destruct button and start over again, and that type of game is just not for me.

You might want to take a look at Tetrobot & Co some time, it's the sequel and it fixes all those annoyances (which nearly made me give up on BTM as well years ago, although I did end up beating it). It's a pure puzzle game and you get unlimited step-by-step rewind. It's everything BTM should've been and is pretty excellent.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Beaten: Titan Souls
Great concept for a game and very well done. Some parts are tedious like for a game that is solely 19 bosses spreading them out across a map felt silly to me. I got 13 total and I have no idea which bosses I missed, and for a game like this I don't think I should have to google a map to find them. That said the boss fights are really excellent.

Nulled: Castle in the Darkness
I love metroidvanias but this one I just didn't enjoy and didn't feel an urge to come back to. I think my problem with it was I just don't actually find old school games like this fun, where you die a lot and need to just develop incredible accuracy through repetition. I felt similarly about Rex Rocket, but I got much further in that one.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
COMPLETED: Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Amazing game. Not much replay value for me unless I wanted to some sorta Dark Souls-esque self imposed challenge or go for every Korok. I did get every shrine and all the clothes, but by that time I was fairly exhausted of hunting down every little thing for upgrades. I strongly preferred the 2D/handheld Zeldas before this, but adding in parries, timed dodges, and myriad ways to overcome almost any obstacle (not to mention bucking the trend of unskippable long cutscenes and just throwing you into the game) made this a breath of fresh air. And I can't not ever love character (and horse) customization. Loved it.

BACKLOG?: Dark Souls 3 and HITMAN are currently games I haven't got away from this year yet. The timed contracts in HITMAN and getting warmed up for the final DS3 DLC keep me coming back.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
BEATEN - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - I liked it a lot, can't really say if I like it more than Human Revolution, HR felt meatier, but MD had a lot of changes I appreciate. Overall a fun game that could have used a bit more length but ultimately I had just about had enough when it was all over. My standards for how much time I want out of a game have changed a lot. I have less time now so I'm looking to get more out of my limited time.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Glare Seethe posted:

You might want to take a look at Tetrobot & Co some time, it's the sequel and it fixes all those annoyances (which nearly made me give up on BTM as well years ago, although I did end up beating it). It's a pure puzzle game and you get unlimited step-by-step rewind. It's everything BTM should've been and is pretty excellent.

Oh, really? I thought was more of the same. Excellent! I'll just put it on the wishlist.....

........except I already own it. :suicide:

Let's have some positive news!

Beaten: Hacknet

This game was pretty good. The grinding for status got a bit repetitive, but once you're investigating things the game picks up. The final mission was awesome, except I failed it and was expecting having to start from the beginning again....except I had figured out the login/pass on the first try and the game had saved that, and the fact that I had deleted the right files. So instead of doing all the cool hacking again under pressure, it was login -> disconnect, which was kind of a letdown. Maybe I was playing on easy or something? Going to check out the DLC when it drops.

Beaten: The Adventures of Bertram Fiddle: Episode 1: A Dreadly Business
Not a bad little adventure game. The puzzles were very simple, but apparently they're going to try and up the difficulty in the sequel. I'm not sure if I'll get the sequel. Everything about the game is fine, but I'm thinking the characters didn't quite grab me, especially since I've been playing the game off and on for a couple months, and the game isn't that long to begin with. We'll have to see what the reviews are for the sequel.

Playing: Avian Attorney should be done soon. Started up Fault Milestone One the other day and man, is it hard to go back to clunky Japanese translations. Picked up ICEY again and it's so much fun to piss off the narrator. I'm going to try and go through my currently playing list this week and either play the drat games or null them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN-ish: HoPiKo - I did play all 50 sets of 5 levels, but two of those sets couldn't be completed because doing it with a mouse is impossible (there's some sort of lock-on thing that screws your jumps up in a specific circumstance). I'd say beating 240 of 250 levels is good enough. Oh the game itself!! It's like a game based around Donkey Kong Country's barrels where you're just hopping from place to place, shooting out of cannons, etc. Very fast, very frantic, lots of retries.

BEATEN: Abzu - Beautiful walking sim-- uh, swimming sim. Good chill game to relax to. There are even 'meditation' spots where you can just watch other fish swim around (and it'll label them).

BEATEN: Knytt Underground - Nifflas basically taking Saira to the rim and dunking it. The map for this game (which really starts at Chapter 3) is ENORMOUS. And the entire point of the game is to explore it. Maybe the chillest game of this type on Steam, a worthy successor to Knytt Stories (I wish it had the Knytt Stories art style though).

BEATEN: Dead End Road - Weird horror driving game where you have to get items to complete a ritual while avoiding all sorts of Eternal Darkness-esque fakeouts and attacks.

BEATEN: Trulon the Shadow Engine - Card-based 3D indie JRPG that is NOT made in RPG Maker. Although the budget is smaller than Earthlock's, and it shows.

BEATEN: Rocketbirds - Sidescrolling action shooter with, for whatever reason, Another World-style controls (the final boss even has the shield that Another World's enemies had).

BEATEN: Potatoman Seeks the Troof - Platformer that is very trial and error. It's 20 minutes. I dunno.

e: one last game beaten, TIMEframe.

NEXT UP: Sproggiwood, Jotun, Neon Chrome, Train Valley, VA-11 HALL-A

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 27, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Knytt Underground - Nifflas basically taking Saira to the rim and dunking it. The map for this game (which really starts at Chapter 3) is ENORMOUS. And the entire point of the game is to explore it. Maybe the chillest game of this type on Steam, a worthy successor to Knytt Stories (I wish it had the Knytt Stories art style though).

Yeah this is a wonderful, wonderful game, though the dialogue and character art can be divisive. The exploration and atmosphere are so good though.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
Perfect thread for me considering the amount I've spent.

However I have been good recently and forcing myself to complete older game series such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect

and then the new ME came out which I have stopped playing after 8 hours, then I bought Nier: Automata because I was game depressed (ME is rear end)

I was playing through The Old Republic 1 but got a bit bored after the jedi phase

Well...

Got to clean up this mess now.

Pruney fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 27, 2017

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
"Beaten" - Lego Worlds - This game is a fun exploration building game. The main loop is exploring procedurally generated worlds and discovering new block types, objects, animals, characters, etc and completing quests (complete a building, give a found object, etc) to get gold bricks. Then gradually get larger worlds with more biomes and discover more stuff. The game does have some major issues, including organization and finding objects or bricks you want to use. Also there seems to be no way to rename or delete custom brick builds, which is a bizarre oversight. But it is fun and I can imagine a kid would be enthralled by it. Especially someone who likes Minecraft, even if there are no real survival elements to it.

strategery fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 27, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil / Lost Mission

I was a bit burnt out by Doom 3 at the end of the campaign but wanted to get it into my 'Completed' list and so soldiered on through the two Add-ons. I'm glad I did. Turns out most of my problems with Doom 3 are solved by turning you into an invincible superpowered punching machine or simply siccing big arenas of baddies on you.

Resurrection of Evil came out just after the game, and its big USP is that you get a hellish heart powerup that's gradually upgraded as you defeat bosses. It is ludicrously overpowered. You start out with 'just' ultra slow mo, but you soon get fists of fury (one punch kills pretty much anything) and invulnerability when you use it. It's powered by the corpses of dead UAC workers, and given the hell invasion there's more than enough to keep you going. The heart completely sucks out the fear of the original - leaving you barrelling down corridors punching everything that moves into a fine paste. I particularly like the way the Revenant skulls bop back like something out of a carnival game. These missions also add a super shotgun, which is awesome and a (slightly pathetic 'me too!') gravity gun - which is almost entirely useless.

Lost Mission isn't quite as fun. It's a short campaign produced for the 2012 BFG edition and the leap in technology basically manifests as being able to have larger areas and more enemies. It's best during the last few Hell levels, when you finally get proper Doom-like arenas full of monsters to blast. Feels like a bit of an attempt to re-Doom the game. Fun and short enough though

Anyway, now that that's out of the way I can FINALLY play DOOM 2016.

BEATEN: Jurassic Park: The Game

I'd heard this sucked, with people mainly criticising it for being a QTE fest. Thing is, I don't really mind QTEs, I like Jurassic Park and generally like Telltale. How bad could it be? Well it turns out the QTEs are FAR from this shitpile's worst thing. First up are some seriously shoddy graphics. It's obvious that the dinosaur models had the most care lavished on them, but even they look plasticky. Everything else looks like an early PS2 game at best, with maybe the single worst facial animation I've ever seen in a videogame. The human characters twitch and squint like hosed up automatons, and the lip syncing is atrocious. I mean check this out:

On top of that, the environments are ultra low effort. It's basically okay when you're in concrete corridors (a decent portion of the game), but any jungle scenes are a flat box with some lovely plant models scattered about.

On top of all that the dialogue is atrocious and character motivations flip around randomly. At one point you even controlling two characters as they argue with one another - which just makes things confusing. I think most of this is down to each of the four episodes having a different director and a different writing team. Episode 1 is merely mediocre, but things really nosedive in Episodes 2 and 3, especially with the introducing of wisecrackin' mush faced cretin Yoder, a bounty hunter who looks like Syndrome from the Incredibles. The game even starts to rip off Aliens when a new dinosaur is introduced that cocoons people and lays eggs inside their bodies.

Total trash. Finished it only because it was short and wanted to see how bad it'd get.

BEATEN: Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

Ultra arcadey World War 2 dogfighting game made on a strict budget by a Polish dev team. There's not much to the game really, but the core dogfighting is pretty fun - especially once you get your hands on a Spitfire. It's pretty short and doesn't demand too much of you, as well as having a pleasant bit of personality. Each of your wingmen gets his own mini-story you hear over the radio during missions, and there's little things to notice on the maps as you zip around blasting the Luftwaffe. Look, I even found Stonehenge!

BEATEN: Sid Meier's Ace Patrol

Cheapo WW1 biplane fighter mobile port that I'm willing to bet Sid Meier has had absolutely nothing to do with. Short and a bit easy, kind of like a dulled down XCOM. You name your pilots and give them special powers as they level up and take down the hun. The actual strategic bit of the game - positioning your fighters to intercept the enemies - is actually fun once you get the hang of it.

The most enjoyment it actually provided was reading a thread full of people moaning that it's got women pilots (*gasp* even Asian and black women) in it. Someone made a mod makes the game entirely male - but then it turned out that had a virus in it. Hahahahahaha.

NULLED: Poker Night 2

I quite enjoyed Poker Night 1, but this didn't really grab me. Partly it's because I don't really know who most of the characters are. I've never seen the Venture Brothers, never played Borderlands and, though I know who Sam is, never played a Sam & Max game. I do know who GLADOS is, but she's badly written here and Ash (for some bizarre reason) isn't voiced by Bruce Campbell. What's the goddamn point of putting Ash in your poker game if you don't have Bruce Campbell - he can't be that hard to hire. Worse, the guy doing his voice isn't even doing a good impression.

NULLED: Gun Monkeys
Looks fun, but for some reason every global server says 'FULL', so I can't play it.

NULLED: God Mode
No matter what I did it wouldn't load. Tried everything. Apparently it's terrible anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've never seen the Venture Brothers
never played a Sam & Max game

Okay, I can tell you what your next project should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

BEATEN: Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil / Lost Mission

When I first played Doom 3 it took me until Hell until I realized that I could sprint. Somehow I was able to dodge a lot of the early stuff just by slowly strafing at walking speed. Once I figured it out, it was like taking training weights off.