Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

I think the worst part of this is that it's clear Gilchrist took like twice as long drawing Fritzi as the entire rest of the comic, but she still comes out looking completely unnatural.
gah, in conclusion, gently caress Gilchrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Jungle Jim is basically the comic Jam Esallen wishes he were writing. I do like the paper dolls, though.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

:drat:

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

:bang:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

For a long time Chickweed has featured oldsters getting all horned up when thinking about (or watching) their children loving, and vice versa. It makes the fact that Brooke has a daughter a little troubling.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So it's totally cool that this old man brought a loaded shotgun to a boxing match I guess

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Haifisch posted:

1999 Spider-Man

The second panel here is pretty much perfect.

goatface posted:

Just add more comics.
It's the thread motto. The more comics the better.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (April, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (July, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (June, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (June, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (June, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (November, 1940)

Tweedy (January, 1956, click for big)

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (March, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (May, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Transmodiar posted:

What the hell is wrong with you?

I have an unquenchable desire to bring joy into the lives of as many people as I can! Speaking of...

WUMO!

Zippy

Random Wallace

Get Fuzzy

Rugrats

Fort Knox

Non Sequitur

Curtis

Big Nate

Herb and Jamal

Pluggers

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Savidudeosoo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 19, 2017

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I think I'll make a daily contribution to the thread as penance for the years of lurking. I'll think of what to add but in the interim if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Either Jam Esallen is more than a month ahead on his Sunday strips, or just doesn't really give a poo poo about bees. Probably both?

The rusty patched bumblebee's protected species status is still up in the air -- it got thrown onto the "Let's not enact anything the previous President signed" pile in January, and they only assigned a deadline for finally deciding what to do about it last month; it's entirely possible that on March 21st (the new deadline), they'll just let the ruling die quietly, the same way the bees will. :(

As a key pollinator of crops like apples, tomatoes, and peppers, it's estimated that the death of this species will cost US growers anywhere from $9 billion to $15 billion a year. So that's nice.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 19, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Trilobite posted:

Either Jam Esallen is more than a month ahead on his Sunday strips, or just doesn't really give a poo poo about bees. Probably both?

The rusty patched bumblebee's endangered status is still up in the air -- it got thrown onto the "Let's not enact anything the previous President signed" pile in January, and they only assigned a deadline for finally deciding what to do about it last month; it's entirely possible that on March 21st (the new deadline), they'll just let the ruling die quietly, the same way the bees will. :(

As a key pollinator of crops like apples, tomatoes, and peppers, it's estimated that the death of this species will cost US growers anywhere from $9 billion to $15 billion a year. So that's nice.

It takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance to be a climate change denier and work on a nature comic simultaneously.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I worked in a movie theater for two months as a teenage and maybe cared about the whole "no outside food" thing for maybe a week? There's no incentive for you not to let them in, it's just a pain in the rear end for both me and the customer, and none of the extra sales from popcorn or nachos is going in my pocket, so why should I give a poo poo?

What I'm saying is that "Curtis" probably has the only usher left in the universe who cares about outside food in the theater.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Cosima posted:

I think I'll make a daily contribution to the thread as penance for the years of lurking. I'll think of what to add but in the interim if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Have you read an amazing comic called "Oh, Baby!"?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Cosima posted:

You could peek in on Gil Thorp and see if it's gotten any less bland. It used to have insane stories about idiot high schoolers sawing off their own arms or high school football coaches working summers as bodyguards for rock stars, combined with legendarily awful art. Then the artist changed (and maybe the writer, too?), and it got super-dull.

Actually, the old, crazy-rear end era of Gil Thorp strips might be worth posting if the new one still sucks; I think most people here haven't read any of them, or wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Slammy posted:

The second panel here is pretty much perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrFIkmLuIlc&t=102s

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slammy posted:

Have you read an amazing comic called "Oh, Baby!"?

Or "Girls and Sports"? Or how about a currently running one called "Graffiti" by Gene Mora?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

It takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance to be a climate change denier and work on a nature comic simultaneously.

He really doesn't want to. He wants to write the shittiest, slowest adventure strips possible but also not lose his cushy cartoonist job.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 17, 1952)

Nancy (March 4, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (November 2, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (December 1, 1923)

Lil' Abner (July 30, 1937)

Barney Google (December 2, 1922)

Alley Oop (March 3, 1934)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Or "Girls and Sports"? Or how about a currently running one called "Graffiti" by Gene Mora?

What was the other nuclear option with the hideously dense text?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What was that stoner surfer comic? that was decent.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (March 22, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Out Our Way With The Willets/Wash Tubbs on Sunday (May 20 and 27, 1928)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
For now you fuckers are getting Reply All because I liked it despite it's hideous illustrations and Zits because I kinda hate it.

Reply All

Zits "but I wanted to gently caress my son..."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

My Lovely Horse posted:

I am in utter disbelief that I ever liked Garfield. Even as a kid.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah. I used to love Garfield and owned a ton of his books. Having revisited it via this thread, I cannot comprehend what it was that I found so humorous. I mean there's not even the baseline "huh huh, butts" level stuff that all kids tend to laugh at.

Lol this is you guys. https://youtu.be/yvCP_V4HzdA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

goatface posted:

What was the other nuclear option with the hideously dense text?

Sylvia, maybe?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set pays for channels it never watches.

Working Daze is three fetishes, no waiting.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is drowning, there is no sign of land.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Savidudeosoo posted:

I have an unquenchable desire to bring joy into the lives of as many people as I can! Speaking of...

I am alive and have returned! So I can take back posting my comics.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn is linked again today...
http://i.imgur.com/4PafSUY.jpg

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Simian_Prime posted:

I worked in a movie theater for two months as a teenage and maybe cared about the whole "no outside food" thing for maybe a week? There's no incentive for you not to let them in, it's just a pain in the rear end for both me and the customer, and none of the extra sales from popcorn or nachos is going in my pocket, so why should I give a poo poo?

What I'm saying is that "Curtis" probably has the only usher left in the universe who cares about outside food in the theater.
As someone who currently works in a theater, it's to create an atmosphere which makes it clear that any outside food found on your person while in the theater will be taken and thrown away. The reasons to establish this atmosphere mostly have to do with the owner bitching at the managers when concession sales go down, which leads to the managers making things more unpleasant for the workers, so it's in the interest of everyone except the customers.

Also, having the highest sales at my theater occasionally leads to a raise, so those extra sales do end up going into a worker's pocket.
:goonsay:

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dude & Dude?

Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Dick Tracy, in which that Kewpie Fleshlight edit gets some legs.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

Understanding Chaos

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Vargo posted:

I am alive and have returned! So I can take back posting my comics.

How was your time away?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SomeMathGuy posted:

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

I don't think cutting down a tree makes you the owner of it, Buster.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I used to think the Viivi and Wagner was about a woman and also a woman who happened to be a pig who were roommates and I thought that was a pretty funny premise if not a great comic. Then I realized that the pig is actually male, explaining the name, and that they are partners/married. At that point I thought it was kind of an autobiographical strip by a woman po(r)king fun at the foibles of male-female relationships because the lady seems to be the POV character in which case, fine okay. But yesterday I found out that it's written by a dude and potentially as far as I can tell not even biographical. So it gets worse the more accurate my understanding of the strip is. BUT I still posit that if you imagine them as two female roommates one of whom just happens to be a pig there's more potential there.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg

Dustin

Mandrake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

You know, I think the thing that annoys me most about this comic is that pose that Dustin's father is doing in the last panel. Bending backwards, throwing their head back and grimacing. It just looks so dumb and it's always in response to something that deserves a much milder response (if any response at all).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

So why is the little neighbor kid out? Is this a school holiday, or did he fake sickness too, or what?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Jan. 25, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Jan. 25, 1985)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

They're playing a popular game where people wear mufflers and yell words loudly at each other down a line to see if the person at the end guesses the correct one.

There's no translation because I don't have a clue what the punchline is supposed to be. It could literally be anything. Even if you don't speak Korean it's more parsable this way.

Mother From Another Country

That editorial's not from me in response to that comment from several days ago asking what the point of the comic is. Evidently Park Seong-hoon actually started getting flak for that around this time and I'm guessing it's why we're like one comic away from the end of the first season. Don't really want to get into the second season right away. Do have an idea for a temporary replacement though.

edit: how exactly do you regular Mac users function? Using this thing makes me feel like I've got an arm tied behind my back.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Shugojin posted:

So why is the little neighbor kid out? Is this a school holiday, or did he fake sickness too, or what?

If Dustin was really sick, the Boomer Dad figures, he should be inside in bed or on the couch. He wouldn't be completely better by 5 PM or whenever Boomer Dad gets home from work.

• Locked thread