Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Jaysexuality is so last year

Jack is Daddy now

if Dad-Jack catches you smoking cigarettes at 15 he gets you some pot.

A good dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
The power of Patty compelled me to quit this movie like 20 minutes before it ended.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I quit that movie a year before it came out.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Invest in a better movie.
https://www.gofundme.com/twisted-neil-breen-film

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Get Out was really good. Very funny.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

WampaLord posted:

I'm sure that it probably had a real script with real jokes that Feig threw out the second he realized he could just say "Do something funny!" instead and roll 800 hours of footage and find a movie in editing.

I find this so baffling. Paul Feig likes putting improv in his films, but up until Ghostbusters 2016: Answer the Call, he's never been stupid enough to believe that reams and reams of actor quipping could carry a film.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
[slow gay faux-posh cousin of a wealthy Newport family voice] I would always ruin takes by laughing behind the camera

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of think that Wiig was maybe following a script, McCarthy was possibly also following a script, but Jones and McKinnon were sort of just being told to do whatever they wanted that fit into the story.

I almost get the feeling that the entire structure of the film was built around the concept of, "We're going to fight the ghost from the logo as the main last boss."

There were murmurs of, "So, they're going to go the whole film and we'll never see the ghostbusters logo? That's the origin story for the logo and the team will finally get it at the end, sort of like the "A" on Stark Tower at the end of Avengers?"
"No, the badguy will base its look on the logo because Patty will pull a Ray 'choose the form of the destructor'. Don't worry, that logo will be in the film all the way."
"Oh..."
"We've got an origin story for the logo, though."
"Wait, what?"
"We've got an origin story for the logo in the film. We thought it was important that if they have the logo we have an origin story for it so it just didn't show up out of nowhere. We've got origin stories for the weapons, too. The car only gets a partial origin story, though."
"Do the characters have origin stories?"
"A character gets a scene of exposition."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've literally never seen someone so undirected as Chris Hemsworth in GB2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Well do they at least bust ghosts and crack jokes?

Yes and no. Sorta.

What do you mean?

They fight ghosts at the end but they don't like trap them or anything.

But there are jokes?

That would be the "no" part.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Watching GB2016, I'm still sort of trying to figure out the timeline. The original film made it feel like all of this was going on over the course of several weeks or even months. The team was overworked, exhausted, getting press coverage and hype in a pre-digital world.

GB2016 movie feels like it takes place over the course of a week.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

This just in:

Rich: We are in an editing glut. 3 Re: Views in the can?
Jack: ...6 videos in the can
Rich: 2 best of the worsts?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Captain Lavender posted:

This just in:

And 1 The Grabowskis, surely.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Like many artists before him Mike has sobered up and now the quality of his work is being replaced by the quantity of his work.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Lavender posted:

This just in:

i'd like six jays in the can please

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like to imagine the relationship between Mike and Jay is like Rick and Morty.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

a bone to pick posted:

I like to imagine the relationship between Mike and Jay is like Rick and Morty.

jay is mike's daddy dom

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Stop posting bad fanfic.

The true canon is that Jay is a virgin because he hasn't yet realized he's no longer an ugly duckling, and it will be Daddy Jack who leads him into manhood.

This was all cleverly foreshadowed in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrY-iXi5o3o

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Mike + Rich Evans is OTP and only one that matters

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Wow well gorilla interrupted 2016 was a nice little suprise for the patreon supporters :captainpop:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Hot take on Rouge One - it was a chop suey of like 100 different movies and goes for at least five distinct tones. And still feels bland and dour. It was hilarious though how like half the main characters see their death coming, and wait for it when they could have gotten away. It made me legit laugh towards the end.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hot take on Rogue One - it was good :boom:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

More like Rogue One Star

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rogue One was generic. I didn't think it was bad but it was like, once it was done you kind of just shrugged mentally and forgot about it almost immediately

If it didn't have the star wars name attached to it no one would remember it or talk about it at all by now

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Iron Fist was loving great, I don't get the negative reviews for it whatsoever.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

a bone to pick posted:

Iron Fist was loving great, I don't get the negative reviews for it whatsoever.

I think the first episode being as trash as it was set the mood for a lot of people. It's definitely not as bad as claimed, but so far it is the weak link in this whole thing.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the first episode being as trash as it was set the mood for a lot of people. It's definitely not as bad as claimed, but so far it is the weak link in this whole thing.

Idk bout that, Luke Cage had some of the worst acting, fight scenes, and editing out of all these marvel trash shows.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

a bone to pick posted:

Idk bout that, Luke Cage had some of the worst acting, fight scenes, and editing out of all these marvel trash shows.

Yeah but Luke Cage was likeable. Danny Rand is not likeable.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

at the ambush scene in Rogue One I gasped out loud in the theater like a melodramatic fool at the obvious parallels they were drawing with the war on terror

it just seemed way ballsier than I was expecting from a "here's the backstory all the nerds already know" side-piece

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

at the ambush scene in Rogue One I gasped out loud in the theater like a melodramatic fool at the obvious parallels they were drawing with the war on terror

it just seemed way ballsier than I was expecting from a "here's the backstory all the nerds already know" side-piece

Check this out: Donald Trump is the bad guy in Rogue One. Very deep.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah but Luke Cage was likeable. Danny Rand is not likeable.

Ehh I liked them both but Danny is definitely one-dimensional, the difference to me is how both of these shows focus on a crime family. Luke Cage didn't have one interesting antagonist besides cottonmouth and he got cut short way too quickly, whereas everyone in the Meetchum (mitchum, meechum?) family from Iron Fist were, imo, brilliantly written.

Ward is one of my favorite TV characters now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

Luke Cage didn't have one interesting antagonist besides cottonmouth and he got cut short way too quickly

This was my biggest problem with Luke Cage and it kinda told me that the makers didn't know what makes good TV.

I watched it with my GF and we both LOVED Mahershala Ali as CottonMouth, he was by far the best thing about it. Then he dies 6 episodes in and the show just DROPS in quality, I think we both separately gave up on it after that. They introduce Hammerhead (? no idea what he was called) as the new bad guy and he's just boring and generic.

Getting rid of a now Oscar-winning actor 6 eps in was a MASSIVE mistake. He carried it. I found Luke Cage to be WORSE in his own show than in Jessica Jones, it seemed like a lot of his charisma in that didn't carry over. I blame this on the writers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Getting rid of a now Oscar-winning actor 6 eps in was a MASSIVE mistake. He carried it. I found Luke Cage to be WORSE in his own show than in Jessica Jones, it seemed like a lot of his charisma in that didn't carry over. I blame this on the writers.

The problem is that Luke Cage is meant to be a man of few words, but you need your protagonist to talk a bunch. He works best in a supporting role.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Getting rid of a now Oscar-winning actor 6 eps in was a MASSIVE mistake. He carried it.

:agreed:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Luke Cage had cool music though. I haven't seen Iron Fist, does it have a boss musical guest each episode?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

This was my biggest problem with Luke Cage and it kinda told me that the makers didn't know what makes good TV.

I watched it with my GF and we both LOVED Mahershala Ali as CottonMouth, he was by far the best thing about it. Then he dies 6 episodes in and the show just DROPS in quality, I think we both separately gave up on it after that. They introduce Hammerhead (? no idea what he was called) as the new bad guy and he's just boring and generic.

This describes DD S2 as well. Maybe these shows should be limited to 6-8 episodes.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Luke Cage had cool music though. I haven't seen Iron Fist, does it have a boss musical guest each episode?

RZA directs one episode lol, there are a few cool hiphop tracks but not near as many as Luke Cage.

Imo this was one of my fav scenes from Cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqZnjPvwv0

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

This describes DD S2 as well. Maybe these shows should be limited to 6-8 episodes.

yeah 100%. Every single one of them is too long and falls off after 6 episodes. DDS2 had the exact same problem with Bernethal as Punisher. Once that storyline kinda wrapped up and we had to watch the Elektra stuff, I stopped.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

yeah 100%. Every single one of them is too long and falls off after 6 episodes. DDS2 had the exact same problem with Bernethal as Punisher. Once that storyline kinda wrapped up and we had to watch the Elektra stuff, I stopped.

Jessica Jones was good though, but then again she only had one season (and there is no Alias comic to make a second one, is there?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

a bone to pick posted:

RZA directs one episode lol, there are a few cool hiphop tracks but not near as many as Luke Cage.

Imo this was one of my fav scenes from Cage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqZnjPvwv0

That Charles Bradley song owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDbby88le74

• Locked thread