Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Oh yeah 100% agreed. The Witcher is good, but goons seem to think it's ***high art*** for some reason. The writing is boilerplate but for a big RPG that's about as good as you're gonna get. Video game writing is generally garbage, though there are notable exceptions and things are changing.

It's funny because I think Night in the Woods is super good on that front, and goons were off comparing it to that awkward Ryder romance dialogue.

sooo the witcher is "as good as you're gonna get" and yet you have an issue with people saying it's good...?

please don't elaborate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
Witcher 2 is more interestingly written imo. It creates an imaginative world that successfully captures the real shortcomings and hypocrisies and confusions of historical existence. Witcher 3 is far more of a predictable hero quest stapled on to some well observed personal relationships. They're both looking better than the DA and MA series these days though probably because the best days of CDProjekt are still ahead of them.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 20, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Codependent Poster posted:

Does Zelda have any softcore sex scenes though?

I hope so! I haven't found all the flashback scenes yet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just wanna say I genuinely love that whole scene in the Jaal's rear end video

maybe there's hope?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Schlesische posted:

ME3 is a really good game until the last hour of the singleplayer campaign.
And that's with the free alternate ending DLC, and the Leviathan DLC that does a poor job of tying off the raggedly cut short parts of the ending.
Without them, the scale of how bad the ending was did genuinely become the defining point of the three game campaign.

it's like the writer had a minor stroke and just forgot what the series was actually about (characters and setting), wanting to do something kind of high concept? which would've been a hard pivot to execute gracefully at any point, let alone when you're in possession of a primary school reading level scrawling the outline onto the back of a bar napkin in like 10 minutes

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i'm gonna marry cora and be her wife

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cams posted:

i'm gonna marry cora and be her wife

I am afraid you are not, cams. Cora will take no wives.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

I am afraid you are not, cams. Cora will take no wives.
says you. she will be my husband and i will be her wife. she will make me wear a dress and cook her dinner, then she will take me to bed.

there, she will have me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
you cannot

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zane posted:

Witcher 2 is more interestingly written imo. It creates an imaginative world that successfully captures the real shortcomings and hypocrisies and confusions of historical existence. Witcher 3 is far more of a predictable hero quest stapled on to some well observed personal relationships. They're both looking better than the DA and MA series these days though probably because the best days of CDProjekt are still ahead of them.

witcher 2 has the potential to be a (for games) interesting, human story and the pieces are there but due to time, or budget the execution is kind of fumbled, particularly in the last act. it's also attached to a mechanically far less consistent game. don't get me wrong, i love it, but it could be so much more.

you're right, witcher 3's plot turns into something a lot more by the numbers (it even has that loving 'blue energy beam going into the sky' trope) but it was plainly given the time it needed and feels more fulfilling as a result.

witcher 1 is honestly pretty underrated; it's ropey as hell and there are places like the swamps where the pace just grinds to a screeching halt, but it's pretty well rounded. that being said i didn't play it on launch when it was apparently even more ropey and broken

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it would be real cool if people stopped throwing spoilers out

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

cams posted:

it would be real cool if people stopped throwing spoilers out

it would actually be really cool if we got more spoilers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
spoilers are good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Witcher 3 has a lot of stuff going on and the story is way too long IMHO, but thematically it's about... fatherhood and preserving wisdom as you age into irrelevance? Which is a weird direction to take a franchise centered around being an immortal cooldude with a magic dick, but kind of brilliant.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Apparently my squadmates don't wear their helmets on Eos. Obviously the Ark was loaded full of replicants instead of actual humans. Ryder is a slave to humanity.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nifft posted:

Apparently my squadmates don't wear their helmets on Eos. Obviously the Ark was loaded full of replicants instead of actual humans. Ryder is a slave to humanity.

There's a menu option that can change when helmets are displayed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nifft posted:

Wait, that's the default setting? Why make that the default setting?

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
What if Bioware took the ending criticisms so seriously that they only worked on the last hour of the game for the past 4 years.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
If only there were an option that everyone was in full hard suit and helmet all the time. Even on the Tempest and Nexus. And especially in the sex scenes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

exquisite tea posted:

The Witcher 3 has a lot of stuff going on and the story is way too long IMHO, but thematically it's about... fatherhood and preserving wisdom as you age into irrelevance? Which is a weird direction to take a franchise centered around being an immortal cooldude with a magic dick, but kind of brilliant.

Yeah. The games great, but it would have been greatly served by having the Novigrad section being about a 10th as long as it is.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Hello Mass Effect fans. I've played every mass effect game on the 360 but recently swapped over to PS4. Is there any relationship between any previously saved data or is that all tied to my EA account? I did see someone on Twitter mention multiplayer bonuses for playing Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age (whatever the last one was called) which I played on Xbox consoles.

I've avoided this thread and any googling/news sites like the plague so apologies if this is commonly repeated.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The reason why witcher is *high art* is because most goons don't read real books

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The whole you being Pathfinder instead of Cora thing is genuinely kinda hosed up. Now, okay, it's one thing if the line of succession wasn't all that solid and Cora was more like, "Well, I'm most likely and qualified to have to step in if Alec bites it...but the fact is that I don't know for sure if Alec will pick me and nothing is set in stone here." But she (and everyone else) seems genuinely taken aback that Ryder Sr. could have had anyone other than Cora in mind for the position at all, so it's basically that he led her on with false assurances and gave everyone the impression that he would honor the chain of command, but then just went "haha bitch you thought" at the last second.

Grondoth posted:

Wait, that's the default setting? Why make that the default setting?
For everyone to see more of the awesome facial animations, duh.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
witcher 3 is like shepherd
me:a is like niftu cal

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

I Am A Robot posted:

What if Bioware took the ending criticisms so seriously that they only worked on the last hour of the game for the past 4 years.

An entire rainbow of endings to choose from!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Houdini posted:

Hello Mass Effect fans. I've played every mass effect game on the 360 but recently swapped over to PS4. Is there any relationship between any previously saved data or is that all tied to my EA account? I did see someone on Twitter mention multiplayer bonuses for playing Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age (whatever the last one was called) which I played on Xbox consoles.

I've avoided this thread and any googling/news sites like the plague so apologies if this is commonly repeated.
there are rewards for having played me3 (and dragon age inquisition) but no save importing, you start fresh. the only decision you make regarding past ME games is the gender of your shepard. i believe it is female by default and that is canon so

i like that the "heart" dialogue options seem to be the human centric, caring for your people options, while the logical options are your more "we are an invading alien race, we need to respect everything" stuff. very interesting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

fridge corn posted:

The reason why witcher is *high art* is because most goons don't read real books

Unwritten Kotaku article: The Witcher 3, greatest masterpiece since Joyce's Ulysses?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
witcher 3 is one of the greatest games ever made

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

male shepard is the default if you quickstart

edit: actually, it might be random?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ages posted:

An entire rainbow of endings to choose from!

Actually they did the *laziest thing* and merely inverted the colors Red, Blue and Green endings and turned the star child upside down

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

cams posted:

there are rewards for having played me3 (and dragon age inquisition) but no save importing, you start fresh. the only decision you make regarding past ME games is the gender of your shepard. i believe it is female by default and that is canon so

i like that the "heart" dialogue options seem to be the human centric, caring for your people options, while the logical options are your more "we are an invading alien race, we need to respect everything" stuff. very interesting.

Thanks for the quick reply although that Dutch model guy/Mark Meer is my only true Shepard

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

BrianWilly posted:

The whole you being Pathfinder instead of Cora thing is genuinely kinda hosed up. Now, okay, it's one thing if the line of succession wasn't all that solid and Cora was more like, "Well, I'm most likely and qualified to have to step in if Alec bites it...but the fact is that I don't know for sure if Alec will pick me and nothing is set in stone here." But she (and everyone else) seems genuinely taken aback that Ryder Sr. could have had anyone other than Cora in mind for the position at all, so it's basically that he led her on with false assurances and gave everyone the impression that he would honor the chain of command, but then just went "haha bitch you thought" at the last second.

For everyone to see more of the awesome facial animations, duh.

Yeah Alec is a real piece of poo poo imo.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

oh, weird. i just assumed it was the default cause when i went to "custom character" it was the option already selected.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

cams posted:

oh, weird. i just assumed it was the default cause when i went to "custom character" it was the option already selected.

i've found some people saying that scott ryder seems to have a male shepard and people who are saying sarah gets female shepard

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah Alec is a real piece of poo poo imo.

I know I've been picking the dialogue options that talk about how DadRyder was kind of a dick to his family and others. Seems to fit the 'focus on work' mentality.

That said, Cora does raise the issue of 'why you and not me', so I'm going to assume it will come up later.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

eonwe posted:

witcher 3 is one of the greatest games ever made

I really couldn't get into the Witcher games. I tried with all of them but I really just don't like Geralt that much and something about the setting rubs me the wrong way but I can't put my finger on it. Plus when the first one came out I remember hearing about the whole "sex trading card" thing and it made the game sound juvenile, never really got past that perception. People fairly give Bioware heck for their sort of stapled-on, formulaic romance-arc-ending-in-sex-scene thing but that didn't sound any better.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

witcher 1 is honestly pretty underrated; it's ropey as hell and there are places like the swamps where the pace just grinds to a screeching halt, but it's pretty well rounded. that being said i didn't play it on launch when it was apparently even more ropey and broken

It had load times in excess of 10 minutes at launch, longer for large hub areas. The plot also kinda meandered all over the place to the point that a third of the way through I had completely forgotten what I was supposed to be doing. Witcher was extremely lucky to be released during an particularly nasty RPG drought, as if it was released in that state today it would be considered nothing more then another failed crappy RPG. Thankfully, CDProjekt realized how lucky they had gotten from the massive sales and pulled out all the stops for Witcher 2 & 3, which is why they are rightly considered must haves.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tunzie posted:

I know I've been picking the dialogue options that talk about how DadRyder was kind of a dick to his family and others. Seems to fit the 'focus on work' mentality.

That said, Cora does raise the issue of 'why you and not me', so I'm going to assume it will come up later.

I hope she tries to fight you for leadership like Sten did in DA:O.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

BrianWilly posted:

End of prologue spoilers:

Maybe this is revealed in game at some point, but I wasn't exactly sure whether the transfer of Pathfinder authority (by which I mean SAM) is meant to have saved Ryder's life. That was my read on the weird cutscene that happens afterwards with all the neurons dying then regenerating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

I can't remember which one, but one or two of the ME games were random in choosing a male or female when you quickstarted.

I'm still undecided if I want to play Scott or Sara with this game.