Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

eonwe posted:

witcher 3 is one of the greatest games ever made

It's barely one of the greatest games of May 2015 bitch!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavendish
Feb 26, 2016

eonwe posted:

witcher 3 is one of the greatest games ever made

No, it is really not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cavendish posted:

No, it is really not.

ya it is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's no Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
one of the big narrative problems with witcher 3 is that after the first act (which is great) and before the last act (which is by the numbers) much of the narrative arc is occupied with figuring something out that already happened. not something intrinsically complicated. just finding people who can tell you a fairly brief and straightforward story of ciri teleporting around. all this to rescue ciri from the fairly straightforward plot prison that prevents her from accomplishing her basic hero quest. it almost operates on a weird meta level. instead of you playing the hero in your own story you play the guy trying to find and bring the hero and the story together -- a hero and a story both ultimately destined to move away from him/you. the interesting stuff is mostly in the moment to moment character interactions and the meta stuff around the edges of this -- which yes is ultimately about geralt's recognition of his own irrelevance on some level. if you bottom out the ciri relationship it becomes a story of his almost complete alienation from humanity.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 20, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

It's no Mass Effect: Andromeda.

*laughs stiffly while my eyes bulge out of my head*

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
witcher 3 was well written and enjoyable to play and i liked the characters. a good game.

me:a has a chance to be good still lets hope and pray

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

BrianWilly posted:

The whole you being Pathfinder instead of Cora thing is genuinely kinda hosed up. Now, okay, it's one thing if the line of succession wasn't all that solid and Cora was more like, "Well, I'm most likely and qualified to have to step in if Alec bites it...but the fact is that I don't know for sure if Alec will pick me and nothing is set in stone here." But she (and everyone else) seems genuinely taken aback that Ryder Sr. could have had anyone other than Cora in mind for the position at all, so it's basically that he led her on with false assurances and gave everyone the impression that he would honor the chain of command, but then just went "haha bitch you thought" at the last second.

I get the impression from the trial that the game's going to reveal some ~secrets~ behind the whole trip to Andromeda that Alec wanted to keep within the family. He was a key person behind the planning and everything else, he might know of some ulterior motive or secret plans and hopes his kids would carry it on without him. It's just a guess, but with SAM and the memory triggers and everything else there's enough hints that he wasn't just snubbing Cora.

It's entirely possible he just saw his kid dying and decided in the heat of the moment to sacrifice themselves, it wasn't exactly an orderly succession. Kind of just makes it all the dumber that a commander would have their own kids on their dangerous space mission team when tens of thousands of lives are riding on them fulfilling a very important job, but then again the whole Initiative is a private endeavour of a clique of eccentric egomaniacs so maybe that's not that surprising. Maybe Ryder was just enough of a narcissist to want a Ryder to be in charge while discovering and settling a new galaxy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zane posted:

one of the big narrative problems with witcher 3 is that after the first act (which is great) and before the last act (which is by the numbers) much of the narrative arc is occupied with figuring something out that already happened. not something intrinsically complicated. just finding people who can tell you a fairly brief and straightforward story of ciri teleporting around. all this to rescue ciri from the fairly straightforward plot prison that prevents her from accomplishing her basic hero quest. it almost operates on a weird meta level. instead of you playing the hero in your own story you play the guy trying to find and bring the hero and the story together -- a hero and a story both destined to ultimately move away from him/you. the interesting stuff is mostly in the moment to moment character interactions and the meta stuff around the edges of this -- which yes is ultimately about geralt's recognition of his own irrelevance on some level. if you bottom out the ciri relationship it becomes a story of his almost complete alienation from humanity.

if you bottom it out, geralt, caught up in guilt and depression, ends up basically committing suicide by monster

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The whole "now you're the pathfinder since I'm about to die and you need the help to survive" is pretty understandable and it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is Ryder not immediately relinquishing the title (and SAM) after waking up. Everyone is just "Oh well, if the boss said so before dying :shrug:"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's probably some lines about how SAM is too entwined in Ryder's brain to remove safely and you can't be a pathfinder without Sam, so

cams
Mar 28, 2003

were people able to get through the beginning of the game on the hardest difficulty level? makes me think there has to be another new game plus type option in this, cause insanity seems impossible starting fresh.

i mean i haven't mastered this brand new game yet but still

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

The Witcher is fun because you get to run around hitting poo poo with your sword and being the bastard child of Sly Stallone and an anime schoolgirl. It's good entertainment, but don't pretend it's Flannery O'Connor.

More brutal self-owns in this thread.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There's that bit where Dad's wrecking the poo poo out of the Kett base and everyone's like "oh poo poo, he's super good at this" that establishes being hooked up to SAM directly makes you a great fighter, which helps explain why the relatively inexperienced Ryder can step into the role (never mind that you could kill Kett easily enough beforehand).

It was actually kind of a funny sequence, I found myself feeling like I was the companion character tagging along behind the PC who was leading the way and interacting with environment objects like the door control.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Actual hitting things with sword is probably the most mutually agreed upon least fun aspect of the Witcher franchise.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dolash posted:

I get the impression from the trial that the game's going to reveal some ~secrets~ behind the whole trip to Andromeda that Alec wanted to keep within the family. He was a key person behind the planning and everything else, he might know of some ulterior motive or secret plans and hopes his kids would carry it on without him. It's just a guess, but with SAM and the memory triggers and everything else there's enough hints that he wasn't just snubbing Cora.

Yeah but it's doled out with a fetch quest where you have to collect like 20 literal shiny things per memory. So I'll just watch it on youtube.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

2house2fly posted:

There's probably some lines about how SAM is too entwined in Ryder's brain to remove safely and you can't be a pathfinder without Sam, so

It's this. Removing SAM would kill Ryderkid

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I think that's implied but no one else knows about SAM's super powers so even if Ryder knows he can't get out of the job, no one else does. But everyone just rolls over.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

can i come back to the first planet you land on later?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fojar38 posted:

the endless sucking off of the witcher in this thread is actually making me want to play it even less out of primal spite

That was me for like a whole year, goons wouldn't shut up about it in every thread and it actively made me not want to play it because they were so obnoxious about it.

e: to be clear, I'm not referring to goons just saying "Witcher 3 is good" but rather the whole "Witcher 3 is better than whatever you like, no matter what it is"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dolash posted:

It's entirely possible he just saw his kid dying and decided in the heat of the moment to sacrifice themselves, it wasn't exactly an orderly succession. Kind of just makes it all the dumber that a commander would have their own kids on their dangerous space mission team when tens of thousands of lives are riding on them fulfilling a very important job, but then again the whole Initiative is a private endeavour of a clique of eccentric egomaniacs so maybe that's not that surprising. Maybe Ryder was just enough of a narcissist to want a Ryder to be in charge while discovering and settling a new galaxy.

Yeah, I dunno if he intended for his kid to be the next Pathfinder. The explanation given by Doctor Dorner didn't make any loving sense either given that everyone on the Pathfinder team can talk to SAM since everyone on the Pathfinder team has the implant. Who cares if Scott "Nepotism" Ryder has SAM-to-speech in his head, Cora is still the best leader and the most experienced in this situation.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zane posted:

one of the big narrative problems with witcher 3 is that after the first act (which is great) and before the last act (which is by the numbers) much of the narrative arc is occupied with figuring something out that already happened. not something intrinsically complicated. just finding people who can tell you a fairly brief and straightforward story of ciri teleporting around. all this to rescue ciri from the fairly straightforward plot prison that prevents her from accomplishing her basic hero quest. it almost operates on a weird meta level. instead of you playing the hero in your own story you play the guy trying to find and bring the hero and the story together -- a hero and a story both ultimately destined to move away from him/you. the interesting stuff is mostly in the moment to moment character interactions and the meta stuff around the edges of this -- which yes is ultimately about geralt's recognition of his own irrelevance on some level. if you bottom out the ciri relationship it becomes a story of his almost complete alienation from humanity.

yeah the setting and actual events of the main plot seem like bones to hang more personal stories on, whether it's geralt's experience of fatherhood or micro-stories where he does witchery stuff. which is honestly probably the way to go in a sprawling 50 hour game wherein it's borderline impossible to retain a through-line of pace. imo this is why ME2 remains the best mass effect game; the main story is kind of a mess but the game never needed it to be amazing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you dont want to play an excellent game because some people like it, then lol.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

cams posted:

can i come back to the first planet you land on later?

Yeah. It's exactly like DA:I. You can do the main story enough to open up new planets and go back and forth between them the same way you would regions in DA:I.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also where is Alec Ryder's body, and why has nobody mentioned it?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anyone else unable to download the dlc for this game in origin?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also where is Alec Ryder's body, and why has nobody mentioned it?

Reprocessed for the Soylent nutrient paste they eat on board the ark. Can't let a good few hundred thousand calories go to waste.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah. It's exactly like DA:I. You can do the main story enough to open up new planets and go back and forth between them the same way you would regions in DA:I.
just checking cause you couldn't go back to the very first place you started in DAI

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill give this probably bad game another try tonight

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

witcher 3 is good

me:a will probably be good

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah, I dunno if he intended for his kid to be the next Pathfinder. The explanation given by Doctor Dorner didn't make any loving sense either given that everyone on the Pathfinder team can talk to SAM since everyone on the Pathfinder team has the implant. Who cares if Scott "Nepotism" Ryder has SAM-to-speech in his head, Cora is still the best leader and the most experienced in this situation.

He literally said as he's dying that he always wanted and knew it was going to be you who becomes the next Pathfinder

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't even enjoy TW3 as much as the Mass Effect trilogy, it's just a good example of how game writing has evolved over the last five years and we should hold developers who market themselves on their stories to a higher standard.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

i'm still finding it kind of weird that the 'pathfinder' title is treated with almost religious significance. maybe it's better explained in the course of the actual opening idk. guess i'll find out when i get a pc that can play morrowind at more than 15fps (not joking)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dexo posted:

He literally said as he's dying that he always wanted and knew it was going to be you who becomes the next Pathfinder

all i heard was womp womp tinnitus poo poo

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Dexo posted:

I genuinely could not read his lips after the "breathe deep" thing, but this makes the nepotism claim stronger, not weaker.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

i'm still finding it kind of weird that the 'pathfinder' title is treated with almost religious significance. maybe it's better explained in the course of the actual opening idk. guess i'll find out when i get a pc that can play morrowind at more than 15fps (not joking)

Replace pathfinder with inquisitor and be enlightened.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

cams posted:

just checking cause you couldn't go back to the very first place you started in DAI

Oh right, you mean the tutorial area not Eos. It's like DA:I in that sense too. No you can't return to the cool lightning planet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah it'd be easy enough to imagine a situation where Cora said "Look your dad may have transferred SAM to you but I'm the one with Pathfinder training, I'll take the lead and you can be computer liaison" and Kid Ryder says "that's totally fair, I'm a junior member of the team and I don't have the necessary experience or background knowledge to take this position. Just call me when you need me." But of course, then you wouldn't be in command and get to decide where the ship goes and who to run over in the rover, so for narrative simplicity's sake SAM is very important and Cora is weirdly compliant if maybe resentful.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

AngryBooch posted:

If only there were an option that everyone was in full hard suit and helmet all the time. Even on the Tempest and Nexus. And especially in the sex scenes.

Quarians arent in this game (maybe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

I feel like we've been neglecting Hedrigall. And it looks like carrot juice to me.

COME ON MAN

Judy's no Leodore Lionheart or Benjamin Clawhauser :kimchi:

How did you find my tumblr :argh: