Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
personally I only shoot half loads without a condom

much safer that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

[Step]Dad Weaboo, So What

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

you didn't punch me that hard

ur moms dick game doesnt hold a candle to sakura-chans anyway

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I've decided to sell all my worldly possessions and go on a worldwide quest for adventure. Unfortunately my wife refuses to go along as she doesn't want to take our son (8) out of school. I would appreciate advice on how to convince her this is a good thing for us.

I have been an office drone my whole life. It is maddening and at the age of 36, I can't take much more. The benefit to this is it has given us a financial safety net and allowed my wife to work an "easier" job and focus on family duties. I work about 70 hours a week as an accountant (long nights and occasional weekends) and my wife gets works a 9-5 job as a grief counselor.

I have recently gotten really interested in open world gaming. The feel of adventure and exploration. The idea that you never know what's around the next corner. The thrill of not knowing what's for dinner tonight, that it depends on YOUR skills. It's intoxicating to me and I want it in real life.

My wife has started citing emotional concerns, which I'm going to list here along with my rebuttals.

1) Our son needs a stable home. Incorrect - military families do fine and in fact many "military brats" have better childhoods than other kids. My wife can also home school our son and avoid many pratfalls of a public education.

2) We are putting our lives in danger. Incorrect - I have a gun and street smarts, and we will stay in many tourist friendly locations. We are also avoiding obviously dangerous countries like the Middle East and North Korea.

3) We are making a financial mistake. Incorrect - after selling the house and everything in it, plus the cars and adding our savings, we will have over 200,000 dollars. I plan to put that in the stock market and, after the adventure is over, retiring and setting our son up for college.

4) I am doing this for selfish reasons. Incorrect - I am inviting these 2 because they mean the world to me and I plan to share this experience with them. I could just as easily do it alone, actually it would be much easier alone because I'm not afraid of sleeping on the side of a mountain or eating an animal I hunt myself. But out of the kindness of my heart I am bringing my wife and son on this journey.

quote:

I accidentally said "Thanks Mom" to an older woman at work. I am a grown man and have been mocked relentlessly since then. I think I might have to find a new job, it's that bad.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Hey adventure goon: you're going to be eaten by bears. This is not optional. Do not force your wife and son to be eaten by bears as well.

Edit: Also, you meant "pitfalls", you idiot. A pratfall is that thing you're going to take down a mountain and into the waiting jaws of a hungry bear.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 19, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

areyoucontagious posted:

Hey adventure goon: you're going to be eaten by bears. This is not optional. Do not force your wife and son to be eaten by bears as well.

I'd say join the Navy Reserve but you are even too dumb for us.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I have no idea what "open world gaming" is, but my gut tells me it's the 21st century equivalent of a dude ranch: you pay an inflated sum and get spoon-fed 'adventure'.

Also military families do not 'do better'. Some military brats do OK, some do the perp walk on the 6pm news. I don't have any figures, but I'm willing to bet it's not pretty.

Stay home and play Skyrim or Fallout. It's cheaper, your wife won't leave you. and your children wont get kidnapped and trafficked.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Also, the Middle East is not a country.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Gynovore posted:

I have no idea what "open world gaming" is, but my gut tells me it's the 21st century equivalent of a dude ranch: you pay an inflated sum and get spoon-fed 'adventure'.

Also military families do not 'do better'. Some military brats do OK, some do the perp walk on the 6pm news. I don't have any figures, but I'm willing to bet it's not pretty.

Stay home and play Skyrim or Fallout. It's cheaper, your wife won't leave you. and your children wont get kidnapped and trafficked.

I was assuming that he was just gonna pay some dude on Craigslist to drop him off in the middle of the wilderness on the pretext of a game like that but the final prize is just dying painfully

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gynovore posted:

Stay home and play Skyrim or Fallout. It's cheaper, your wife won't leave you.

I joined up late in life, traveled the states and played Skyrim. Even had a family to go back home afterwards.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

areyoucontagious posted:

Edit: Also, you meant "pitfalls", you idiot. A pratfall is that thing you're going to take down a mountain and into the waiting jaws of a hungry bear.

But if he gets eaten by bears someone will make a movie about him

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

LingcodKilla posted:

I joined up late in life, traveled the states and played Skyrim. Even had a family to go back home afterwards.

One of the lucky ones... Too many of our young men died because of that awful developer :911:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

quote:

I've decided to sell all my worldly possessions and go on a worldwide quest for adventure...

Sadly, I can't believe this one, because Dwight Schrute was a salesman, not an accountant.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That guy sounds like those people who were going through a manic episode and post threads about their amazing plan to walk across america or whatever, only to fizzle out 25 miles into the trip and take a taxi home. This is the inevitable fate of the confessor (unless he gets eaten by bears), except if he does it he won't have a home to crawl back to.

You are setting yourself up for failure by making your goal too big too fast. Maybe take the family camping a weekend or two a month, I bet your urges to "explore" will be satisfied just as much and you have the added bonus of not ruining your whole family's lives to do it.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

I accidentally said "Thanks Mom" to an older woman at work. I am a grown man and have been mocked relentlessly since then. I think I might have to find a new job, it's that bad.

If you get mocked relentlessly for a slip that literally everybody makes in one form or another at some point in their lives, you definitely do need to find a less childish place to work.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

runupon cracker posted:

If you get mocked relentlessly for a slip that literally everybody makes in one form or another at some point in their lives, you definitely do need to find a less childish place to work.

Yeah, you shouldn't work with people who do do that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It almost reads like he intentionally made a strawman response to every one of his wife's complaint.

quote:

1) Our son needs a stable home. Incorrect - military families do fine and in fact many "military brats" have better childhoods than other kids. My wife can also home school our son and avoid many pratfalls of a public education.

She didn't say other kids needed stable homes, she said yours did. Some kids do alright moving around a lot, other kids end up seriously messed up. It depends on the kid and I'm going to trust the mother's instinct.

quote:

2) We are putting our lives in danger. Incorrect - I have a gun and street smarts, and we will stay in many tourist friendly locations. We are also avoiding obviously dangerous countries like the Middle East and North Korea.

You can't bring your gun with and your street smarts don't apply in every country. There are people who spend their whole lives conning and fleecing foreigners. You will not outsmart them every time. Danger is more than just geopolitics. You are going to be dealing with diseases, food bacteria, and poverty levels you are not used to. This is insane to subject a child to.

quote:

3) We are making a financial mistake. Incorrect - after selling the house and everything in it, plus the cars and adding our savings, we will have over 200,000 dollars. I plan to put that in the stock market and, after the adventure is over, retiring and setting our son up for college.

This seems like an absurdly low amount of money to fall back on. Have you considered the cost of travel, housing, entry visas, medical insurance, daily spending money, and emergency savings to get three people back to your home? You're not going to be able to work legally and you're insane if you think you can just walk into a random country and start hunting their wildlife or build temporary housing. I don't even want to get into the logistics of trying to turn $200,000 into something meaningful in the time you're gone, being able to pay for a college tuition, buy a new home, and retire on it.

quote:

4) I am doing this for selfish reasons. Incorrect - I am inviting these 2 because they mean the world to me and I plan to share this experience with them. I could just as easily do it alone, actually it would be much easier alone because I'm not afraid of sleeping on the side of a mountain or eating an animal I hunt myself. But out of the kindness of my heart I am bringing my wife and son on this journey.

This adventure isn't about your family or your child. It's about you and just inviting them along for the ride doesn't make it any less selfish. You're upending your whole life and the life of your wife and child because you are mentally ill.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

quote:

Just keep calling her Mom until it becomes a nickname everyone uses.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lol nobody is picking up on the "my wife has it easy compared to me, all she has to do is look after the house and our kid and also be a grief counselor" thing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

my parents found the cum rations
I jizz on food to help preserve it and it adds flavor, now they are threatening to throw me out

quote:

I had an unexplainable event happen to me and have never told a soul about it until now. I've enjoyed this thread and feel like I'm due to confess my own story.

I was visiting my brother in Pittsburgh several years ago. I got drunk one night and wandered off from him. I understand that none of what I say beyond this is credible due to the alcohol, but it happened.

I wander off the beaten path a bit, into an alleyway called Strawberry Way. I'll never forget that name and you can look it up if you don't believe it's a real place. I start smelling this weird smokey smell and hear ringing bells. I'm getting a little worried so I keep moving forward. And my word to God's ears - I came out in some kind of weird hellscape. Buildings were all burnt out husks, I didn't see any people, and the moon was bright green. I start to hear the sound of running feet coming towards me then, and I head back down the alley I came up as fast as possible.

I see a homeless guy as I do, he starts laughing and said something like "That's a real trip huh?". I come out the other side of the alley and everything is okay. I find my brother and never told him, just acted like I was drunk and stupid and got lost. I would love an explanation for what happened.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Ah yes, the cum rations

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Why does no one that sees something unbelievable pull out their phone and take a drat picture?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

"" posted:

my parents found the cum rations
I jizz on food to help preserve it and it adds flavor, now they are threatening to throw me out

Short, to the point, leaves me wanting to know more. an A+ confession

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
it died while they played pokemon go

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The Management posted:

Why does no one that sees something unbelievable pull out their phone and take a drat picture?

Phones can't photograph hallucinations generated in the mind :v:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Electronic devices emit powerful anti-magic fields. This is related to how iron items are good against like fairies and poo poo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Helscape goon, you were drunk and walked thru a gap between realities

the moon was green but that man in it seem different?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
hellscape was the plot to at least 2 episodes of Buffy, maybe more. Go back there and take pictures

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Mods, name change to Cum Rations please

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I've been thinking a lot about the heroin-relapse goon because I've had similar poo poo in my life and would like to take the time to tell the CC to stop posting this fake bullshit its offensive to people who have actual problems

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Management posted:

In all honesty I've been in this position (was presumably nothing exciting and I was in a situation that primed me to expect to see something 'supernatural'). Your brain is way too busy going "what the gently caress is that? No loving way" to think about getting out your phone and loading up instagram until exactly 9 minutes after it's over - when you start punching yourself in the dick for not getting photos

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Yeah nah. You'll find at least a couple of who people pull their phones out and start filming in the middle of poo poo like terrorist attacks, where there is a significant "what the gently caress" factor, along with very real danger to their lives. It's pretty simple why people don't film stdh.txt, it's because it didn't happen.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

value-brand cereal posted:

Phones can't photograph hallucinations generated in the mind :v:

Teens to mid 20's is where the vast majority of people suffering from Schizophrenia and other similar disorders involving hallucinations see the appearance of initial symptoms.

Kim Jong ill posted:

Yeah nah. You'll find at least a couple of who people pull their phones out and start filming in the middle of poo poo like terrorist attacks, where there is a significant "what the gently caress" factor, along with very real danger to their lives. It's pretty simple why people don't film stdh.txt, it's because it didn't happen.

One of the things about disorders and conditions that include psychosis is that they are always accompanied by an almost unreal sense of "reality". Your brain becomes so certain that the thing you are experiencing is real that you often subconsciously avoid things that people would do in situations "normal" people perceive as being or feeling unreal because the thing you're witnessing feels and appears extremely extant to you.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 20, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HAT FETISH posted:

lol nobody is picking up on the "my wife has it easy compared to me, all she has to do is look after the house and our kid and also be a grief counselor" thing

I figured if we are supposed to take these in good faith then going after that part of the confession is just saying, "This is obviously fake."

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos

Sjs00 posted:

I've been thinking a lot about the heroin-relapse goon because I've had similar poo poo in my life and would like to take the time to tell the CC to stop posting this fake bullshit its offensive to people who have actual problems

Which one, the last one, or the English teacher abroad one? Either way I completely agree. I know some people get bent out of shape when fake confessions are called out, but when that last dude got completely ignored in favor of a bunch of obviously fake confessions, I can't help but ask the OP and everyone else if that's really in the spirit of the thread.

Anyway I usually steer clear of offering advice to addicts since I don't have very much clean time myself, but dude, you can't think that way. You're in your twenties and it sucks that you missed out on an opportunity but I promise that it isn't the last opportunity you're ever going to have. And you especially shouldn't look at an opportunity that way when that opportunity is joining the army, LMAO. You obviously need someone to talk to man so I'd start there, first of all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I've been having (I guess) a mini exesintal crisis, about how loving lucky I am to even exist and how lucky I am to even write this dumb thing

First the formation of the universe, then the formation of Earth took time that is incomprehensible to me, how life was able to survive, how my species came to be from a protozoa, how everything thing evolved to humans

Every single of one of my ancestors managed to make it, through hunger, war, disease and whatever

The extremely small chance the one single sperm from all my ancestors made it, I feel like a second or the very slightest change in absolutely anything could have meant a different sperm making it

The same with my father, I feel like even a second could have changed me not being here

I had some complications being born, medicine where it is may have saved me,and how I was born in a first world with no food or other issues

It's crazy to me and I've obsessed over it recently

Thinking like this always feels kind of solipsistic to me. There are billions of people in the world and nothing special about you (sorry). If you weren't born, someone else would have been, and the world wouldn't really notice a difference. That sounds like I'm trying to do a slam on you or something, but I'm trying to help.

Heroin addiction feshes are apparently kind of an unpopular thing rn, but the queue is the queue

quote:

In my small hometown (pop. ~13,000) I was one of the biggest heroin traffickers and for a little over a year a dealer, all while being addicted with a decently large habit for over 5 years now, I've been sober for a few months now and I hate myself for everything I've done, or had done to me, their was times where I thought I was gonna be killed (gun to my head will tend to make you think that way) to the majority of my friends now having died or have been killed, or to the just genuine guilt and responsibility I feel for contributing to the damage done to my town, it was so nice 10 years ago but it's a hell hole now because of heroin and scum like me, my family has no idea the extent to what I am or what I've done, and I was smart I got out and quit while I could, and I really noticed how thing where getting better and I started to have hope for myself.

but my best friend died recently and he was such an inspiration for me to stop, and now I'm lost, I have nobody to talk to too share this with, my family can't know, they would never understand. Besides I don't wanna ruin their opinion of me anymore than I already have.

My life had meaning as an addict, I had a purpose, something I had to do every day when I woke up, now I'm lost and have nothing and now I have no one.

I've been fighting the urge to go back to using, hell i been fighting the urge to just end it and call it a night, but my best friend wouldn't want that, this is to you Derek even in death you keep me going, thank you man, I wish it was me not you, I'm the one who deserved to die, not you my friend.

Thank you anyone who read this and listened, and I apologize for a wall of text and poor grammar and spelling, I'm on my phone and kinda drunk

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That one sounds kinda real to me

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Your life as an addict didn't have any meaning. Waking up knowing you have to get high that day isn't a purpose it's a loving burden. You should attend NA or SMART whatever strikes your fancy so that you can be around people that serve as reminders of why you stopped. That's the point of these programs to give you a personal support network through which you can express all the awful feelings and desires you have as an addict and when you're expressing these feelings to other addicts in recovery you can do so without fear of judgement. You'll never be a happy heroin addict but if you stay clean there's a chance that one day you can be a happy man.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't mind the heroin or drug addiction confessions. That's a real confession. I just don't have much to say about the use or dealing of drugs as that's outside my experience. Idiot drug addicts visa issues? Sure, I've run into that more than once, but I can't really give advice on getting clean or overcoming addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I'm gonna pour out a 40 at the crossroads for Derek

Next time I'm there, I mean. It's like a 20 minute drive and it's a pain to drive to the grocery near my house because the parking is lovely, but I'm going to do it for you, addict goon

My confession is that I love replying with stupid bullshit to this thread and I don't even care if no one else thinks it's funny. True happiness comes from within, addict goon. I hope this post can take Derek's place as your life's inspiration