Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

M_Gargantua posted:

Two rail multi directional is impossible. Even in reality it is rarely done.

Yeah, I can't remember why I decided to do it that way... I think it's because I had a dedicated resupply train that went around to all my outposts and refilled replacement turrets, walls, ammo, bots and so on, but I liked the idea that this train could exit a station in either direction and take whichever track was not currently in use. But in retrospect it makes so much more sense to just stick to one rail out, one rail in, and have U-turn sections after each station in either direction. drat, now I wanna play the game again, after months of waiting for the new version, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ShadowHawk posted:

I decided to try a 3 rail setup with two one-way lanes and the middle lane going either direction. My thinking was that trains that are pulling off into a stop usually slow down and I'd often get traffic build up in my 2 track games -- this would give the trains a passing lane.

Thinking outside the box. Nice.

but still functionally overly complicated and useless. Just have your stations on sidings that break off and rejoin when needed.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just to be clear here, it's totally okay to do things that are not optimally efficient and overly complicated if you want to, Factorio is fun like that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
No! Efficiency is life! And inefficiently is spiting in the eye of science!

Don't be a horrible person, choose efficiency now. Let the sperg take you. More rockets! More modules! More ore and oil! Turn the world into a perfect concrete hellscape!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

M_Gargantua posted:

Don't be a horrible person, choose efficiency now.

M_Gargantua posted:

Turn the world into a perfect concrete hellscape!

Are you proposing we waste concrete on places we aren't planning to walk or drive? :colbert:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Are you proposing we waste concrete on places we aren't planning to walk or drive? :colbert:

Pave the world on principle.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

M_Gargantua posted:

Thinking outside the box. Nice.

but still functionally overly complicated and useless. Just have your stations on sidings that break off and rejoin when needed.

I did have turnouts for the stations. The trains slow down before turning off the main track, like cars pulling into a parking lot.

An alternative solution is to have really long turnouts so they don't need to start slowing down while on the main highway, but I find that less efficient.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 19, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Catberry posted:

Pave the world on principle.

Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Antti posted:

That's a good saying.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Antti posted:

Mods?
Factorio: Whatever exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
For the rail crossings, put these markers around your gated areas. Makes it much safer and easier for the trains to stop.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I always build my stations on little loops perpendicular to the main track. So they'd turn off, stop and load/unload, loop back round and could turn back onto the track in either direction.

This did cause a bit of trouble when I connected together two of my fair-flung lines, though. Circuits and loops don't mix.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I always build my stations on little loops perpendicular to the main track. So they'd turn off, stop and load/unload, loop back round and could turn back onto the track in either direction.

This did cause a bit of trouble when I connected together two of my fair-flung lines, though. Circuits and loops don't mix.

I think this sort of loop is best because they can divert without slowing down the main set of tracks. I generally try to have the loop rejoin the track it left and just have the train loop at the next junction- I tend to throw those out a lot so it only adds a few seconds of time to that train as opposed to causing a backup on the main rail.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The game gave me a tiny Texas. :3:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Collateral Damage posted:

Build a wall around the northern border to protect America :black101:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Mess with it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Console an oil patch on there and build a pumpjack.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Who needs a main bus when you can just set up tiny production islands with belts leading into the gaping maw of your central factory? So what if it's such spaghetti that when I went to untangle a part of it I realized I'd unintentionally created a loop that did nothing but take the same set of copper wire on a tour without it ever actually getting used?

One interesting aspect of not having any idea what you are doing is producing an excess and figuring out what to do with it. That leads to all sorts of interesting contraptions ("this section is overflowing with iron plates so I'll draw a belt to feed it into a new workshop here...")

Another thing I've noticed is that having peaceful mode on gives you bad habits since you don't need to worry about defending real estate. But as a learning experience it's worked fine. The bugs actually do inevitably attack you even on peaceful mode, but they are much more tolerant of pollution than I suspect they normally are.

Finally, god blue science is a pain in the rear end.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I love the beautiful chaos of a person's first factory. :allears:

I legitimately found my first factory of spaghettified mess more fun than the ordered structure of my second one. For my most recent game I tried to mix the two a bit, so I would bus stuff off to make research components but for factory bits I'd just pull the required components off whatever belt of that I could reach. Much more enjoyable.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

I love the beautiful chaos of a person's first factory. :allears:

I legitimately found my first factory of spaghettified mess more fun than the ordered structure of my second one. For my most recent game I tried to mix the two a bit, so I would bus stuff off to make research components but for factory bits I'd just pull the required components off whatever belt of that I could reach. Much more enjoyable.

I agree.

After a few games ranging from 'spaghetti --> OCD organized' I found a happy middle ground. Now I always start with a fat, organized bus right through the middle of my factory. I also establish where I want my east, west, north, south train stations to be placed. Besides that, I just go wild with belts, train tracks, etc. My bot network is super inefficient and redundant, but it also has massive overcapacity. I don't find this game very fun when I'm tearing things down or meticulously rearranging factory components. That's especially true during the beginning of a game when you don't have all of your tech unlocked and will be running out of raw resources a lot.

The spaghetti-style is also majorly cut back once you figure out how to build a central bus.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My progression was
spaghetti because I'm running out of belts
I'm running out of belts because I'm hand assembling them
Wait why am I hand assembling belts

And now I have a yellow belt assembler running before I even have anything I would claim to be infrastructure and solve everything by building branches off a bus trunk.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

zedprime posted:

And now I have a yellow belt assembler running before I even have anything I would claim to be infrastructure and solve everything by building branches off a bus trunk.

This, definitely. Part of my problem is transitioning to making red or blue belts effectively/at a reasonable time when I should be doing so.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

This, definitely. Part of my problem is transitioning to making red or blue belts effectively/at a reasonable time when I should be doing so.

Man, same here. I'll have almost all of the tech tree researched and still be using yellow belts everywhere.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ignoranus posted:

If it makes you feel better there's arguments to be made that you shouldn't switch to red belts before you are condensing operations for super fast rocket launches. You can definitely ignore blue belts before you have beacon aspirations.

I like red belts as a happy medium of throughput/density so that's what I aim for.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Late in the game I usually have blue belt production automated into passive provider chests, and I set my logistics network to keep me stocked with 200 belts. I know its not the most efficient way to do things, and overkill, but I like those suckers moving FAST!

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Blue belts are amazing, and should be put everywhere.

Also, there's a mod that lets you upgrade whatever you designate by clicking and dragging it- if you are replacing all your belts with higher tier ones it makes life much more bearable. I'm phone posting so I don't know the exact name, but it should be along the lines of upgrade planner.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Kinetica posted:

Blue belts are amazing, and should be put everywhere.

Also, there's a mod that lets you upgrade whatever you designate by clicking and dragging it- if you are replacing all your belts with higher tier ones it makes life much more bearable. I'm phone posting so I don't know the exact name, but it should be along the lines of upgrade planner.

Are you thinking of Upgrade Builder and Planner?

And on the subject of related mods there's a cool Automatic Belt and Pipe Planner mod where you have a 1x1 "start" thing that you place and it'll automatically lay ghosts between that and wherever you place the "end" piece.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think I've only ever used blue belts within my furnace lines and the first parts of buses.

It doesn't actually matter how fast a given item gets from A to B, it's all about how many of them get there in a given time. Having faster belts won't make a difference to an unsaturated line and just make it harder to walk through your factory.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
And then you install bob/angel and you're back to square negative a million.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

make it harder to walk through your factory.
I really wish there was a mod that made the player unaffected by belts. Getting pushed around by belts is by far the most annoying thing about walking around the base.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

I really wish there was a mod that made the player unaffected by belts. Getting pushed around by belts is by far the most annoying thing about walking around the base.

Doesn't everyone just use the belts to walk fast?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

its all worth it for the laugh i got when I was modifying a train station and the belt pushed me on to the tracks as the train arrived

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PhantomZero posted:

I also make portions of my busses underground and lay a hazard concrete walkway over them to allow for easy walkin across.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

awesmoe posted:

its all worth it for the laugh i got when I was modifying a train station and the belt pushed me on to the tracks as the train arrived

I've had that happen to me and it was pretty funny

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PhantomZero posted:

I put down stone paths to walk fast on. I'm that guy who guilds his base after a grid system. :v:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Need to upgrade to concrete everywhere, with hazard lines to demarcate walkways.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol if you don't drive your car through your base, letting robit repair the damage you do on the way.

Also, paving everything makes car almost as fast as max speed train.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just use walls as railing for your roads through the base.

Also I really REALLY like how easy it is to defend oilpatches. :stare:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Have a look at this Nano factory with push down automata

In other words a setup to produce any item the game knows about including any sub-component steps. It's something I've toyed with the idea of for some time. It's not quick or suited to mass production but it'd be nice to be able to set a request for say 3 refineries, they get built and delivered.
The step of translating un-fulfilled logistics requests into build orders should be possible somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I've always found the idea of build orders to be kind of silly in Factorio. Besides the rocket & launch system, what do you only want one or two of the whole game? I just have finished products get deposited in inventory-limited passive provider chests, and for the really expensive / uncommonly used stuff I use circuits to stop the insterter after there are two or three in the chest. You still have to build the manufacturing infrastructure in either case, the only thing a build order system has going for it is it doesn't consume the raw materials until after you request an item, and in Factorio if you can't spare 500 iron & copper plates you must construct additional pylons outposts.