Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Super hot take: drunken master man loving owned. Hope he shows up in Defenders.

Rest of the show was trash with CW quality writing and I just sort of let it run in the background while I played Battle Brothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You know, if they'd leaned into Danny's Buddhism for more than fortune cookie koans they could have done something actually interesting with his conflict between being Iron Fist, Sworn Enemy Of The Hand and not killing people. Hell, it could have added an interesting take on revenge as he tries to square his desire for vengeance with his religious beliefs. Instead he randomly doles out koans and is torn between being the killer his Buddhist Monk teachers raised him to be and not killing, which is pretty dumb. Or, maybe at least Claire could also give a reason to not use violence that wasn't hypocritical or completely stupid given the circumstances.

Lycus posted:

drat, Joy, that's some M&M stash.

A family of addicts.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
This show feels like the most made-by-committee thing of Marvel's on tv. No boldness. No risks. No chances.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Lycus posted:

drat, Joy, that's some M&M stash.

Unresolved childhood issues, maybe?

Gyges posted:

You know, if they'd leaned into Danny's Buddhism for more than fortune cookie koans they could have done something actually interesting with his conflict

Hell yeah:

Slavoj Zizek posted:

It’s quite interesting to read Buddhist texts on war, where they claim openly that, for ordinary people, who don’t have time to meditate for years, the best shortcut for overcoming you false self and reaching nirvana, satori whatever we call it, is total subordination to the military discipline. And Suzuki himself wrote a wonderful text, where he even gives advice to the military how to use Buddhism to make killing easier. He says that if I persist in my everyday attitude of false belief in that I have a self, which is the free agent of its acts, and let’s say I have to kill one of you, this is difficult, I look into your eyes, I find it difficult, [I hesitate whether] I should stab the knife into you, I feel responsible. Then Suzuki says if you reach Buddhist enlightenment it’s much easier. You no longer believe in your autonomous self, your perceive yourself as just a void, an anonymous, impassive observer of life around you where phenomena simply are engaged in their cosmic dance, which is a totally neutral process. From this distance, as Suzuki puts it, you simply observe your knife in a cosmic dance of phenomena hitting the eye or the throat of your enemy.

Edit:

Watched it again.

It's nine minutes, but watch here from 02:58 to 3:32 in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ&t=178s

That, so much!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 20, 2017

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I guess this counts as an episode 10 spoiler but they should have just gone with this look for Danny

I didn't realise they made an actual costume and glowy fists instead of it all just being CGI

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Kegslayer posted:

I guess this counts as an episode 10 spoiler but they should have just gone with this look for Danny

I didn't realise they made an actual costume and glowy fists instead of it all just being CGI

Like a vision of what could have been.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Some of you guys are being unnecessarily harsh on this/these shows. I mean comparing this show to Arrow and saying Arrow comes out on top? Crazy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I like it! Also, that setting makes me wonder if they can move K'un-lun.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Huh, Daredevil really did steal the Dread Pirate Robert thing. Guess they didn't plan that far ahead, but Danny should have totally gone with that- hell, they could have had a funny scene or two with Claire.

Edit: in fact, I bet that'll happen in the Defenders. Matt will probably even be the one to tell him to do it.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 20, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kegslayer posted:

This looks better than the entire season.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kegslayer posted:

Oh poo poo, I legit like the glowing wristbands more than what they actually went with.

Gaunab posted:

Some of you guys are being unnecessarily harsh on this/these shows. I mean comparing this show to Arrow and saying Arrow comes out on top? Crazy.

It's not worse than Arrow. Iron Fist is overall kinda blah, but Arrow is aggressively and offensively awful.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
in episode 3, the scene where Danny gets mad at the students in Colleen's dojo. How many takes did they have to do, each time telling the extras to act worse, just so that Danny would look good in comparison?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

It's not worse than Arrow. Iron Fist is overall kinda blah, but Arrow is aggressively and offensively awful.

Season 1 was cool. I can't even remember where I stopped. Have they finished his flashbacks? If they keep it going long enough, eventually they'll either need to start running an alternate timeline or just start splicing in scenes from season 1.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Accretionist posted:

Season 1 was cool. I can't even remember where I stopped. Have they finished his flashbacks? If they keep it going long enough, eventually they'll either need to start running an alternate timeline or just start splicing in scenes from season 1.

They are part way through season 5, and part way through the final (ie 5th) year of flashbacks. They're planning to link the flashbacks up to the start of the show and then stop doing them as a regular thing,

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

They're still doing the flashbacks, this is the last year.

And I can definitely see why people say Arrow is better. I'm only three episodes in to Iron Fist, but by this point in Arrow I already had a clear view of who Oliver Queen was, what his goal was, and the steps he was taking to accomplish it. The actor playing Arrow also looked like he was able to do the things his character did.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Meachumdad's contact name in his son's phone is Frank Stein, that got a giggle.

How come Iron Fist's tattoo looks like suchhh poo poo?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gaunab posted:

The production values are higher here. But honestly: Stephen Amell is better at stunt work. And his character generally has concrete motivations. And as much as Arrow struggles with tone, it does so way less than here.

Iron Fist is "better" only in that its budget is higher, and its episode order is shorter. If the Arrow team was tasked with a 13-episode Netflix order with that attached budget, I bet it would be a better show.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
He was also a pretty bad actor. Danny not having a clear goal is part of his character as cliche as that is.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think Ward resembles the Meachum from House of Cards a bit. Welcome to the Netflixiverse.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Space Pussy posted:

Super hot take: drunken master man loving owned. Hope he shows up in Defenders.

Yeah, drunk dude was cool and I couldn't help but root for him since he actually had some personality. He really seemed to have the upper hand for 90% of that fight too. Holy god is Danny Rand an awful fighter for someone who trained nonstop to fight ninjas for a decade and a half. Only up to episode 8 but really I think most of the shows woes are Finn Jones and Danny. Finn's not convincing at all. Dude's physique is more like a guy who goes to the gym every Thursday than an elite martial artist. But it's not like it was up to him to have him written as constantly getting his rear end beaten in every fight. The supporting cast is buoying this up but thus far this is my least favorite of the Marvel Neflix series.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Somebody spoil me on this, are they ever gonna dress the juxtaposition of Colleen turning down fifty thousand dollars because she didn't want to screw over Danny with Danny turning down a hundred million dollars because he wanted a billion dollars?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Somebody spoil me on this, are they ever gonna dress the juxtaposition of Colleen turning down fifty thousand dollars because she didn't want to screw over Danny with Danny turning down a hundred million dollars because he wanted a billion dollars?

Eh, I get what you're saying but he didn't turn down money for more money, he turned it down because he wanted some stake in the company his dead dad created.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kegslayer posted:

I assume everyone else is also pretending that that's Orson Randall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Quiet Feet posted:

Eh, I get what you're saying but he didn't turn down money for more money, he turned it down because he wanted some stake in the company his dead dad created.

That and part of the agreement was that he'd change his name from Rand. Essentially disowning everything about his family for some money. They definitely don't clear it up nearly as much as they should, but they poke around an actually very decent idea that Danny doesn't care about the money he just wants the world to acknowledge him as his father/mother's son and treat him as such.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Danny Rand spends 15 years with Buddhist monks, and a huge part of Buddhism is trying to deal with attachment, and in all those years he can't let go of who he is or what happened to his parents? Come the gently caress on.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

Danny Rand spends 15 years with Buddhist monks, and a huge part of Buddhism is trying to deal with attachment, and in all those years he can't let go of who he is or what happened to his parents? Come the gently caress on.

Everything they learned about meditation they learned from Hank Hill:

HANK: Well, instead of letting it out, try holding it in. Every time you have a feeling, just stick it into a little pit inside your stomach and never let it out.

LUANNE (trying it): Are you supposed to have a pain under your rib?

HANK: Yes. That's natural. The body doesn't want to swallow its emotions. But now you go ahead and put that pain inside your stomach too.

LUANNE: I think it's workin', Uncle Hank. I feel sick, but not sad.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Gyges posted:

I assume everyone else is also pretending that that's Orson Randall.

I'll go along with it if Cary Elwes is playing him.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Was that fight in episode 12 between Danny and Davos the same location they used in John Wick?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah. It's Bethesda Terrace and Fountain in Central Park.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

John Wick 2 has really good fighting that also involved guns. They should have tried doing more of that.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Danny is incredibly bad at loving the monastic life and despite what some people are saying about just wanting his name back, he loving loves being a billionaire and will fight powerfully for all the privilege that entails.

My favorite gag on the show was was his monologue during the date with Coleen (Claire third wheeling), where he brags awkwardly about overcoming worldly desire thru enlightenment and being a voluntarily celibate 25 year old virgin while wearing a $5000 suit, being served a 5 course "take out" meal from a restaurant you and I could never even get a reservation at by private butlers, and obviously trying to get Coleen alone so he can gently caress her.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like The Punisher could have cleared up the entire Harold situation in like half an episode. Who needs flippy kicks when you've got a gigantic gun?

Also, for people who have read the comics, can Danny channel his chi into any part of his body? Could he just turn his entire body into a gigantic iron fist?

Gordong Dongbay fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 20, 2017

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CountFosco posted:

This show feels like the most made-by-committee thing of Marvel's on tv. No boldness. No risks. No chances.

Yeah. That was my beef with it. Some good actors (Meachums) and a entertaining character or two (Davos and Coleen Wing) but its just an average "meh" tv show. Like a mediocre show that might show up on CW for a season before being forgotten.

When I first saw the preview and the Danny Rand: homeless hippy I was jazzed. I was hoping for a mix of The Fisher King and Kung Fu Hustle with some Shaw Studios flavour and maybe an episode with heavy Raid 2 influence thrown in. Is this homeless dude insane or was he really a former protector of a mystical realm hidden in the Himalayas? Steal a little from Spawn and Green Arrow coming back from the dead with Iron Fist fighting mobsters trying to hurt his fellow homeless buddies while going back and forth with cuts to his training and childhood like that old Kung Fu series from the 70s. You could still have a few eps with the whole asylum experience as Legion taught us that could be fun. God I still dig that idea. Have little ultra fantastical flashback bits full of colour to contrast with the ultra gritty streets normal with the Netflix Marvel stuff. Keep the slow building up until the end when you just go full Kung Fu Krazy towards the last of the series. At the last few episodes just go all out with the ornate sets, wire work and intense fights. That would have stood out and given Fist its own flavour that many would have loved. Instead we got an average tv show. About the only Fist fight I found memorable was the drunken master fight and that wasn't even that good. Guy just had tons of charisma and it shone because of how much "meh" surrounded it.

It's not a horrible show and it has some ok parts but really... just read the wikipedia page and wait for defenders. A shame as they could have found people to do the show right. Oh well.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
This was not a terrible show, just aggressive bland. The three major problems are Danny Rand's character, the sub-par fight choreography, and the lack of any fantastical elements one would expect from the source material. Danny's character is probably the worst aspect of the show though.

It's expected that Danny would experience some culture shock and have some naivety about not only returning to New York but coming to terms with the fact that Rand Enterprises, which he has fond memories of from his childhood, is evil like any other multinational company; however, instead of there being conflict between him and the corporate characters at Rand because of his proactive attempts to right the ship or improve people's live's through his father's business, Danny is fired because he is a child-brained dipshit.

The choice to portray Danny as child like in the beginning of the show is really perplexing because it just doesn't jive with what we're told and expect of his backstory in Kun Lun. Growing up in a different culture shouldn't make you so extremely socially awkward that you end up institutionalizing yourself. Davos shows up later and talks about how he and Danny stole a car to peep on some naked girls so obviously he shouldn't have these arrested development issues, he obviously has been growing up and having basic socially interactions for the past fifteen years (Also it seems like there shouldn't be cars in Kun Lun but what do I know, I've never seen the place.)

His entire character arc seemed to be him letting go of the trauma about his parent's death and it seems like if he grew up with Buddhists for fifteen years and became an ardent Buddhist himself he would have done that already?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: ^^ His entire life is guarding a door that's actually a wall approximately 100% of the time. Maybe they pick lovely retards on purpose.

Drunken Master was the closest they got to 70s Kung Fu cheese.

In fact, they should have gone full 1970s.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 20, 2017

Manofmanusernames
Jul 27, 2012

Jackass.
So I'm a about halfway through and while I don't hate it I'm not going to defend it. Actually I'm not entirely sure why people thought this was going to be good in the first place. I mean from the very first trailer it looked like a large tonal shift from Netflix / Marvel's usual Fair. I mean the other shows were all like gritty noir stuff while this one was all kind of kung fu action.

However I found this show is more enjoyable if you just accept the fact that like half of it just really wants to be an anime and that Danny Rand it's just a Shonen protagonist right down to the fact that he keeps switching between naive boy he misunderstands basic social norms two badass Warrior dude who delivers cheesy lines in a deep and gravelly voice. I mean he's basically Goku.

Actually the entire series is like being kid in the nineties and your parents watching one of those cheesy lawyer / corporate soap operas late at night and then when they leave the room you change the channel to a late night Kung Fu flick. And then I'll be at corporate drama and Kung Fu Fighting bleeds together despite no tonal congruity between the two.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Yeah, if watch the hell out of that show, if it were an original IP.

But I don't think it would work for Iron Fist. Everybody knows he's not a crazy homeless dude and would just end up getting frustrated waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Not that people are much liking the show they got.

I've just finished up ep. 9 and for me it was the first miss-step of the series (I'm obviously in a minority on this).
They capture Gao, put her on a plane, fly from frickken China to New York, get her to the dojo, and only then start discussing what to do with her??

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the first episode Danny actually lies to someone. I've really liked his open honesty up until now, it's a character trait I haven't seen in other superhero characters before (superheroes love keeping secrets).

And that's a pretty wierd-rear end delayed poison that only kicks in sixteen hours after the fact but then kills you dead in an hour.

I hope the last four episodes pick back up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Watching Ep 3: Not getting why Danny didn't tell Joy that Ward tried to kill him twice, plus a bystander.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I feel like The Punisher could have cleared up the entire Harold situation in like half an episode. Who needs flippy kicks when you've got a gigantic gun?

Also, for people who have read the comics, can Danny channel his chi into any part of his body? Could he just turn his entire body into a gigantic iron fist?

So, funny story about this, a somewhat recent run of Iron Fist had a different Iron Fist being able to channel chi into bullets because reasons, a lady Iron Fist could also do the same with arrows. But at this point, Iron Fist can probably only punch with his chi and just some other basic stuff. Later on he can teleport, shoot out blasts, and I think exert some..hypnotism? I forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Can there only be one Iron Fist at a time? Does it obey Highlander rules and give the power to whoever kills him? I know he got it from a dragon in a cave we never see (except for some badly done eyes) but gently caress it this show needs something to make it interesting.