Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I want a spoilers thread, a spoiler free thread, a shark tank thread, a shark tank spoilers thread and also a thread that's locked and stickied after a single post that containsthe "sorry my face is tired" scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Wow this ending sure is a thing :stare:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I know what the tv show Sharktank is, but what is a sharktank thread? I can't figure it out from context, and making a thread for MEA based off the Sharktank TV show doesn't make sense to me.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I haven't even watched the endgame sequence yet, but I seriously don't understand what's going on with Bioware's writing. Like after the ME3 ending I thought it couldn't get any worse but here we are. I guess it's going to take bad writing seriously impacting game sales to get Bioware to make some major changes to their writing team... so I guess I hope that happens? Like as much as I enjoy some good schadenfreude I almost never hope that a game fails and the people responsible get sacked, but at this point SOMETHING needs to change and I'm not sure anything less will convince Bioware of that.

It's not going to happen because you have idiots in this thread saying "well, hmm, I'm still going to buy it and then play through it just to see if all this stuff is true," as if they haven't already seen or experienced the first 10 hours of the game - and it's not like the game magically would stop sucking or stop having weird poo poo writing or whatever.

By all means guys, play the heck out of this game, but don't give Bioware $70 loving dollars for that "honor".

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah they were.

I know my playthroughs took longer but I was also pretty slow and thorough.

I was shocked by how short the critical path in ME1 was when I went back and replayed it a few years ago. In my memory it had been this epic 80 hour game, and I probably did draw my original playthrough out a great deal, but there really just isn't much meat on the critical path in that game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh man. 2017 and we know how a game ends and that it sucks before it even comes out. Things move so fast these days.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zelder posted:

It should be a crime to release paid ending dlc imo

It's not really a new ending, IMO, but an epilogue/coda/transition to the sequel. The alternative would have been for it to somehow be released as its own minigame between releases or folded into the sequel. Inquisition's original story is over, but the story of Dragon Age was always going to continue, and the most important element of the Trespasser DLC was already spelled out in the ending of the original game. Unfortunately, the original ending of Inquisition was so weak people glommed to Trespasser as the "true" ending when it's really meant to be a farewell to the Inquisition crew and a transition to the next game (which we now have to wait until 2019 to see, Jesus Christ).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

It's not going to happen because you have idiots in this thread saying "well, hmm, I'm still going to buy it and then play through it just to see if all this stuff is true," as if they haven't already seen or experienced the first 10 hours of the game - and it's not like the game magically would stop sucking or stop having weird poo poo writing or whatever.

By all means guys, play the heck out of this game, but don't give Bioware $70 loving dollars for that "honor".

GMG had it at $USD47, which is about what it's worth IMHO.
Especially since I'm going to play it once, play MP for a month or two then not touch it for two years get the GOTY edition when it's on sale at like $AUD20.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

I know what the tv show Sharktank is, but what is a sharktank thread? I can't figure it out from context, and making a thread for MEA based off the Sharktank TV show doesn't make sense to me.

Im giving Bioware 70$ for the honour of getting a reacharound from a angara while i blow 2 krogans at once

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Legit question, I used an Amazon gift card to buy this game for about $30

Is Bioware still getting the full $70 or only $30 of my money?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm gonna be generous and say that the ending is better with context. Cause drat, that was pretty bland.

Better than ME3's ending tho.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SgtSteel91 posted:

EA got their money when retailers buy copies wholesale to resell.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Minrad posted:

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=J49x8sVQVyE

lmao this punching animation from the stream

http://i.imgur.com/rHSn9bw.gif (spoiler maybe?)

oh my god it really is halo 4

tea, you need to see this

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

$70 minus interchange and Amazon store fees

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yes people buying the game on this dying comedy forum is going to propel Bioware to think nothing is wrong. Also none of the people buying it actually enjoyed what they played of their 10 hours.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Minrad posted:

Guy who streamed the ending said the whole game's about 20 hours long, with side missions.

That seems...unlikely? I played pretty slow but it took me almost the whole 10 hours to get to the end of the trial. Maybe if you beeline the main story quests you can do it in 20 but this game seems like it's gonna be bigger than that, seeing as how the trial only got you partway through the first golden world and there's supposed to be seven of them.

Also it's cool that we're apparently coyly spoiling the ending of this game before it's even released. I'll put this thread on the backburner until I finish it, so see you in 10 hours or so lol

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

As someone who really liked where the Dragon Age story is going, I hope the bad writing we're seeing in this Mass Effect doesn't make the DA team worse.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

naw you got it in one, we pitch ME:A themed business ideas and then the thread rates us on how feasible they are
My first pitch: Angara themed cat toys

marshmallow creep posted:

It's not a new ending; it's an epilogue. The alternative would have been for it to somehow be released as its own minigame between releases or folded into the sequel. Inquisition's original story is over, but the story of Dragon Age was always going to continue, and the most important element of the Trespasser DLC was already spelled out in the ending of the original game. Unfortunately, the original ending of Inquisition was so weak people glommed to Trespasser as the "true" ending when it's really meant to be a farewell to the Inquisition crew and a transition to the next game (which we now have to wait until 2019 to see, Jesus Christ).

Oh I know, I was mostly being facetious. I just hated how bad the ending of da:I was, and Trespasser, while also being good in its own right, left a bad taste in my mouth because some elements of it felt like it should've been in the base game

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

As someone who really liked where the Dragon Age story is going, I hope the bad writing we're seeing in Mass Effect doesn't make the DA team worse.

They're all gone

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
BTW everyone, less than 4 hours until the review embargo ends.

Countdown here: http://opencritic.com/game/1547/mass-effect-andromeda

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

Yes people buying the game on this dying comedy forum is going to propel Bioware to think nothing is wrong. Also none of the people buying it actually enjoyed what they played of their 10 hours.

I legit enjoyed the first 10 hours, I preordered it from GMG but I'm not stupid enough to think it's worth even $USD70.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

As someone who really liked where the Dragon Age story is going, I hope the bad writing we're seeing in this Mass Effect doesn't make the DA team worse.

Patrick Weeks is in charge of DA now, so I have high hopes personally.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

so the game is poo poo?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zelder posted:

Oh I know, I was mostly being facetious. I just hated how bad the ending of da:I was, and Trespasser, while also being good in its own right, left a bad taste in my mouth because some elements of it felt like it should've been in the base game

Oh I can totally understand. I would consider it essential to the experience now that it exists simply because it makes the ending of the original game easier to gloss over. "Well that was underwhelming; at least I still have something to look forward to."

The final boss of Trespasser is basically what fighting Corypheus should have been, and he's just a (literally) nameless Qunari!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Im giving Bioware 70$ for the honour of getting a reacharound from a angara while i blow 2 krogans at once

Heddie, love you to bits and your gimmick is only moderately disturbing these days, but c'mon bud :sad:

SgtSteel91 posted:

Where is the game being sold for $30 on amazon? That's a good price.

Schlesische posted:

GMG had it at $USD47, which is about what it's worth IMHO.
Especially since I'm going to play it once, play MP for a month or two then not touch it for two years get the GOTY edition when it's on sale at like $AUD20.
This looks like it's a $30-35 game. $50 bucks is pretty generous. Of course, I actually paid (a little) for the ME2 and 3 OSts, so who knows what I think?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We saw 2 golden worlds in the trial (Habitate 7 and Eos), but I can't see myself finishing the game in 20 hours either.

1stGear posted:

Patrick Weeks is in charge of DA now, so I have high hopes personally.

He's a good example of why the statement that there's no remnant of old Bioware there isn't completely true.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Heddie, love you to bits and your gimmick is only moderately disturbing these days, but c'mon bud :sad:

I'm trying my best but I hardly get a reaction anymore. Maybe I'm washed up and out of touch. What are the cool kids loving these days?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Which studio is handling it? If it's their main office and not Austin or Montreal I'll be hopeful, but given the development hell that ME:A went through it could go sideways pretty fast.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
"Game completion 59%"

"Time played 21 hours."

Guy said he did all the main stuff/side quests, everything else was just grabbing collectibles/maybe finding a few extremely wayward endgame quests. Said the main core path took him about 15 hours not rushing, and he spent about 5ish hours trying to 100% a few planets.

Yikers.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Schlesische posted:

I mean I got through ME2, ME3, DA2 and got bored of DAI from around 15-25 hours or so. And I'm somewhat of a completionist.
The DLC pushes things out a bit, but I don't think a Bioware game has lasted more than that for a looooooooong time.

I have 147 hours on my main completionist DA:I playthrough (with DLC). Most of that was picking elfroot and walking back and forth across the Hissing Wastes to uncover every single little black area covering the map. It took me like 8 hours to get through the ME:A demo too with actually exploring a bit and reading all the codex poo poo. I fully expect this game will be really long if you count all that crap.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

a.lo posted:

so the game is poo poo?

Combat is basically fine, but lots of dialogue is amateurish or childish, trying to capture a "young" voice that makes everyone sound the same. I haven't seen the ending yet, but people say it's very very not great.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Where is the game being sold for $30 on amazon? That's a good price.

There was a Amazon Prime deal and an Amazon gift card I had cut the full price down to about $30

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 20, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

a.lo posted:

so the game is poo poo?

Solid 7/10

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but the Sharktank thread idea comes from the XBOne.

Basically, someone at Microsoft thought it'd be a great idea to have an Xbox One in a shark enclosure at a New Zealand zoo. The idea got relentlessly mocked and after release there was the sharktank thread which was a place to mock the Bone (and had moments that were really funny), while another thread was created for people who wanted to actually discuss the console (which was actually really sad and over defensive).
Both threads leaked into the other pretty heavily and the whole thing was noxious as poo poo.

Can't wait for that experience with MEA.

Admiral Ray posted:

Which studio is handling it? If it's their main office and not Austin or Montreal I'll be hopeful, but given the development hell that ME:A went through it could go sideways pretty fast.

Didn't DA:I go through Dev hell during the transition away from Aurora to Frostbite as well?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I call bullshit on the game 'only' being 20 hours.

Unless the pacing after this first golden world goes to absolute poo poo, there is no way you can just blast through the rest of the game that fast.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
this score is so bad, the dialogue isn't any better, and this whole ending sequence is pretty drat poor :eyepop:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Burkion posted:

Yeah I call bullshit on the game 'only' being 20 hours.

Unless the pacing after this first golden world goes to absolute poo poo, there is no way you can just blast through the rest of the game that fast.

I got to the vault on Eos in under 5 hours, so I can definitely see 4-5 other planets and an ending sequence being around 25 hours.
For the record, I don't plan on spending 60 hours collecting poo poo, I usually do side missions and main missions.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Ainsley McTree posted:

That seems...unlikely? I played pretty slow but it took me almost the whole 10 hours to get to the end of the trial. Maybe if you beeline the main story quests you can do it in 20 but this game seems like it's gonna be bigger than that, seeing as how the trial only got you partway through the first golden world and there's supposed to be seven of them.

Also it's cool that we're apparently coyly spoiling the ending of this game before it's even released. I'll put this thread on the backburner until I finish it, so see you in 10 hours or so lol

I saw a guy posting a playthrough on Youtube yesterday (most of the stuff got removed because he was posting it too early) and he was just making a beeline through the main story content and making pretty good time with it, it doesn't seem like you have to actually do a lot of the planet viability stuff to continue with the main plot once you're beyond Eos. Which compares to Dragon Age where most of the open world stuff had no bearing on the main plot at all and you could do it whenever, if at all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

There was a Amazon Prime deal and an Amazon gift card I had that cut the full price down to about $30

So you paid $30 credit card, and the gift card covered the rest? That's not $30 bucks, that's still $60 bucks. That opportunity cost isn't free, you could have spent that gift card on other things.

And I can't believe the game is short - I played ME1 2 and 3 for about 60-70 hours each.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Schlesische posted:

Didn't DA:I go through Dev hell during the transition away from Aurora to Frostbite as well?

Not quite as bad, I don' think. DA:I took ~3 years to develop if the wiki is to be trusted. There was probably some hell but it looks like they had solid direction for it relatively early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I'm trying my best but I hardly get a reaction anymore. Maybe I'm washed up and out of touch. What are the cool kids loving these days?

the inmates sex perverts are running the asylum