Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

teagone posted:

Rebels expanded the lore of that saber. It's called The Darksaber, and was built/wielded by the first Mandalorian Jedi named Tarre Vizsla. It was also passed down generation to generation, and was seen as a symbol of leadership.

It's such an obvious concept that it's a little surprising that it took so long to show up in EU stuff.

They could even do a totally seperate one and call it a Voidsaber :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I finally saw Rogue One and I have to say it feels like the first Star Wars movie to fully emphasize the 'Wars' part of the title; from a purely cinematic perspective it was shot more like a war movie than anything before. Up until now it's been more epic space fantasy, but this one was designed to make the battles look like the hell of war. I appreciated that. I got Band of Brothers vibes from some scenes.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm glad the kid's being taught early on that some people don't count as human.

Sorry, he just doesn't like the bad guy robots. He loves R2, BB8, and Chopper. He thinks the battle droids are funny though, because of their voices.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Amazingly two of the cast members of that unused new crew do appear in the movie very very briefly, they're the two that get killed in the transporter accident.

David Gautreaux, who was to play Phase II's Spock replacement, Xon, appears as the commander of the Epsilon IX station that gets consumed by V'Ger. Jon Rashad Kamal (Sonak) and Susan Sullivan (the transporter victims) were glorified extras.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Illegal Clown posted:

Sorry, he just doesn't like the bad guy robots. He loves R2, BB8, and Chopper. He thinks the battle droids are funny though, because of their voices.

The "are robots people or not" is just a discussion that comes up ever two dozen or so pages in this thread. I think Neo Rasa was just teasing at that, rather than saying anything about your kid.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

The "are robots people or not" is just a discussion that comes up ever two dozen or so pages in this thread. I think Neo Rasa was just teasing at that, rather than saying anything about your kid.

Oh yeah, I got it. It was in the back of my mind when I made the first comment. I knew someone would mention the the debate about robot people, even as a joke.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
I guess the kid's a bit too young to learn that it's okay to kill Stormtroopers because they're Nazis.

Unless their conscience and perhaps latent connection to the Force drives them to risk everything to join the Rebellion of course.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Illegal Clown posted:

Oh yeah, I got it. It was in the back of my mind when I made the first comment. I knew someone would mention the the debate about robot people, even as a joke.

It's not a debate.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
See, in much of sci-fi, robots are slaves (it's the literal meaning of the word robot).

However, in other sci-fi, they are fascists.

So it can be easy to get confused and think it's okay to kill them because they are robots. Which is what the fascists want you to believe.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Facists are also people, imo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

General Dog posted:

Facists are also people, imo

Yes, they are simply people who have given themselves over to violence, sadism, and power for their own sakes.

The "dark side," if you will.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

Yes, they are simply people who have given themselves over to violence, sadism, and power for their own sakes.

The "dark side," if you will.

I'm sure there's a lot of good men in the Empire who just want to do their part to keep this crazy galaxy from coming apart at the seams.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

General Dog posted:

I'm sure there's a lot of good men in the Empire who just want to do their part to keep this crazy galaxy from coming apart at the seams.

If they just keep following orders, I'm sure it will all work out, right?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has anyone noted the potential allusion in Palpatine and Anakin's relationship to the Hebrew Golem? It seems like a possible influence given Palpatine's Kabbalistic sorcery that can animate humans out of thing air and Anakin's seeming materialization out of Tatooine's "clay".

There's an extremely brief moment at the end of TPM that lasts for probably a frame, right before Palpatine says to Anakin "we will be watching your career with great interest" and puts his hand on his shoulder where the actor can be seen literally licking his lips at the prospect of grooming this child to be his slave. A bleak undertone in the otherwise triumphant finale to a kid's movie.

Anakin even has the same haircut as the golem in a classic German silent horror film adaptation:

It's an interesting take on the biblical myth, except instead of being animated by the words of one person, there's essentially two warring sides competing to put words in his mouth and animate him to their will.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Sorry for the doublepost, you can't add photos when editing posts. In any case, the blocking of the shot mentioned above is very well done. Basically the entire plot of the prequels can be summed up in the framing of this: Palpatine licks his lips while grooming his slave, while Obi-Wan looks on helplessly and a symbol of state power looks right past, without caring (or noticing).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

General Dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g77WN6obk4

I guess at the end of the day, who can say who is right and who is wrong, really?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Good imperials are people like Wedge and Crix Madine. Who see past the propaganda, say "gently caress this poo poo" and join the rebellion. :colbert:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jewmanji posted:

Sorry for the doublepost, you can't add photos when editing posts. In any case, the blocking of the shot mentioned above is very well done. Basically the entire plot of the prequels can be summed up in the framing of this: Palpatine licks his lips while grooming his slave, while Obi-Wan looks on helplessly and a symbol of state power looks right past, without caring (or noticing).

IMO, obi wan is looking at anakin with distaste. Like his raised eyebrows are like "ugh, I gotta take care of this kid now".

e: actually JK his eyebrows aren't that raised.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

multijoe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g77WN6obk4

I guess at the end of the day, who can say who is right and who is wrong, really?

It's just a job, man. Judging by the state of things in Episode 7, it's not like the galaxy has gotten much better with the "good guys" in charge.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The Empire and Palpatine wanted peace. The rebels are the aggressors in the Star War.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

The Empire and Palpatine wanted peace. The rebels are the aggressors in the Star War.

Peace through abject terror. And slavery. Really think about the line, "Fear will keep the local systems in line", especially after being told the body of elected officials was just dissolved.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Jewmanji posted:

It's impressive how closely that guard's head dress resembles the royal guard helmet thing.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Zeris posted:

It's impressive how closely that guard's head dress resembles the royal guard helmet thing.

Either Episode II or Episode III goes whole-hog with it by giving the helmet a black visor over the opening. It's supposed to be a direct lineage, much like the evolving Clone Trooper helmet.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Peace through abject terror. And slavery. Really think about the line, "Fear will keep the local systems in line", especially after being told the body of elected officials was just dissolved.

Understood. But the Republic used fear also. They just couldn't keep the peace.

I don't know about any slaves. Unless we're talking about droids which the Republic and Rebels also have.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

Understood. But the Republic used fear also. They just couldn't keep the peace.

I don't know about any slaves. Unless we're talking about droids which the Republic and Rebels also have.

The Republic didn't blow up an entire planet. It's people, culture, history, everything. To make other planets terrified about the same thing.

The Empire enslaved entire species, most notably the Wookiees. But this isn't stated outright in the films, just background info since forever ago, so fine on that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

You gotta start somewhere.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

The Republic didn't blow up an entire planet. It's people, culture, history, everything. To make other planets terrified about the same thing.

The Empire enslaved entire species, most notably the Wookiees. But this isn't stated outright in the films, just background info since forever ago, so fine on that.

The Empire blew up a planet 20 years after it's founding in retaliation to the Rebels who started a war. The Republic used super-powered secret police to terrify other people.

The Republic enslaved an entire population of ten year olds.

Pretty sure the only character in the movies that even mentions wanting peace is the Sith Lord Darth Sidious.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Anakin also wants to bring, peace, justice and security to his new Empire.

Really, a lot of people talk peace in Star Wars, but it's always defined as 'a state of affairs that I benefit from' - the Jedi declaring themselves peacekeepers of a seriously unjust Republic, Palpatine declaring himself Emperor, Anakin at his DASGDCiest. The trick is that peace isn't an inherent good, and that systemic violence should not be abided, because it only leads to worse things down the line.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
Vader says he wants to "end this divisive conflict" in literally the best known scene in the entire series.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What do you think Darth Vader eats?

A BLT... sandwich?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Empire is the Republic without the pretense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

A BLT... sandwich?

Unbelievable amounts of blue milk.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

The Empire blew up a planet 20 years after it's founding in retaliation to the Rebels who started a war. The Republic used super-powered secret police to terrify other people.

The Republic enslaved an entire population of ten year olds.

Pretty sure the only character in the movies that even mentions wanting peace is the Sith Lord Darth Sidious.

Yes, and they used that to justifying blowing up an entire planet. This would be like, if left wing terrorists, some of which were born in Washington state, bombed US facilities, and President Trump dropped nukes on the state of Washington. Many nukes. Enough to not only wipe out all life in Washington, innocent or not, but make sure nothing and no one could ever live there again. It's so beyond the pale that it cannot be defended.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zeris posted:

Yeah it's almost like they thought about it or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Arglebargle III posted:

A BLT... sandwich?

booty

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

The Empire is the Republic without the pretense.

And younglings

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah it's almost like they thought about it or something.

Whoa, let's not get too carried away in the Star Wars thread.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Zeris posted:

The guys in the back have proto rebel helmets too.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Yes, and they used that to justifying blowing up an entire planet. This would be like, if left wing terrorists, some of which were born in Washington state, bombed US facilities, and President Trump dropped nukes on the state of Washington. Many nukes. Enough to not only wipe out all life in Washington, innocent or not, but make sure nothing and no one could ever live there again. It's so beyond the pale that it cannot be defended.

Is it justified when the terrorist blow up a planet later in the same movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

Is it justified when the terrorist blow up a planet later in the same movie?

That's not a planet, that's a military installation. The same military installation that carried out the nuke, in fact.

Blowing up a base is bad, lots of death, sure. But it is a military installation. Where everyone knows the risks of living there. Alderaan was an entire planet. There's no comparison.

• Locked thread