Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I've been very happy with the roku ultra once they finally worked out the 7.5.1 firmware debacle.

With the KS8000 I got tired of having to start an app, force quit, then start it again because it couldn't loving resume an app right. Also the amazon app has always been terrible (which had been the case on Samsung tvs for a while apparently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Good call about using a PS4. Subtitles on HBO Now, no grey screen of death on YouTube. Great.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I hate that the PS4 doesn't have the extremely usable media remote that the PS3 did

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dogen posted:

I hate that the PS4 doesn't have the extremely usable media remote that the PS3 did

If you enable HDMI CEC on the PS4 you should be able to control playback with your TV remote.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I would have to enable CEC on my stereo as well and the stereo and TV don't play nice together.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Does anyone know what is the deal with the Nintendo Switch changing the goddamn channel all the time? I have Anynet/CEC turned off on my KS7000 (UK) and Match TV Power State turned off on the Switch and its still loving doing it, even while the Switch is in sleep mode. The channel just changes to a no signal screen. What is happening?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Known issue with the Switch and a bunch of different TVs. Hopefully Nintendo can patch it. No fixes I could find short of unplugging HDMI when not using the Switch.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I realize this isn't the deals thread, but Best Buy has the Samsung 40" 6290 for $300 again, and I feel like that model had come up recently:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-40-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-dark-titan/5622308.p?skuId=5622308

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I think I've concluded that the LG OLEDs are too expensive for me at this time. A local shop has a Samsung UE55KS7005 on offer for 40% less than the LG 55B6. Is that the next best thing? The KS8005 is 30% more.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
Some quick questions for a new house we are buying. Here are the pictures of the house:

http://imgur.com/a/ateJK

We are trying to figure out what to do around TV for the main room (the one with the stone fireplace).

We currently have a 65" Samsung 4k in our living room, but with the new house, we have a room with windows on two sides, the fireplace on a third and a regular wall opposite the fireplace. If we use the regular wall, then the couch / chairs will have their backs facing the fireplace, which isn't ideal.

So I see a couple of options, that I'd love thoughts on:

1. Hang the TV on the fireplace - This is hard as the mantle is high, so I'm worried about neck pain from looking up. Additionally, no cabling is run so I'd have to do that and put some bolt holes in the fireplace, leaving a lot of work / damage to the stone cladding. Finally, there is the perennial argument about how much damage to the TV will get done by smoke / heat.

2. Hang the TV from the ceiling - Hang the TV on a motorized, telescoping arm. We can move the TV up and down here and mount it a bit out from the fireplace. The downside here is that the TV is still visible when retracted and would be a bit ugly, especially as the ceilings are 20'.

3. Fold TV into roof - This is the same as #2, but the TV would go all the way in to the roof. This would require a lot of throw length and would be $$.

4. Projector - Put a motorized projector screen that folds up on the roof (or into a soffit) and hang a projector. This seems the best option, but a good projector seems expensive. This might also require motorized shades on all the windows, which can also be $$$.

So - any options I haven't thought of? Or suggestions on screens / mounts / projectors?

jarito fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 13, 2017

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Speaking for myself, I almost feel like it's kind of a shame to put a TV in that room.

With all of that natural light I would not even consider a projector.

E: I will say that if your primary concern about mounting above the mantle is neck strain, I know they make mounts that have vertical articulation for that kind of mounting. I don't have any experience with the products, but I gave them a cursory glance while house shopping and grappling with a few fireplace living room situations.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 13, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Boz0r posted:

I think I've concluded that the LG OLEDs are too expensive for me at this time. A local shop has a Samsung UE55KS7005 on offer for 40% less than the LG 55B6. Is that the next best thing? The KS8005 is 30% more.

Yes, although I'm not familiar with the models ending in "5", but the KS7000 (which in the US is the KS8000 confusingly) is probably the next best choice after an OLED.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

jarito posted:

Some quick questions for a new house we are buying. Here are the pictures of the house:

http://imgur.com/a/ateJK

We are trying to figure out what to do around TV for the main room (the one with the stone fireplace).

We currently have a 65" Samsung 4k in our living room, but with the new house, we have a room with windows on two sides, the fireplace on a third and a regular wall opposite the fireplace. If we use the regular wall, then the couch / chairs will have their backs facing the fireplace, which isn't ideal.

So I see a couple of options, that I'd love thoughts on:

1. Hang the TV on the fireplace - This is hard as the mantle is high, so I'm worried about neck pain from looking up. Additionally, no cabling is run so I'd have to do that and put some bolt holes in the fireplace, leaving a lot of work / damage to the stone cladding. Finally, there is the perennial argument about how much damage to the TV will get done by smoke / heat.

2. Hang the TV from the ceiling - Hang the TV on a motorized, telescoping arm. We can move the TV up and down here and mount it a bit out from the fireplace. The downside here is that the TV is still visible when retracted and would be a bit ugly, especially as the ceilings are 20'.

3. Fold TV into roof - This is the same as #2, but the TV would go all the way in to the roof. This would require a lot of throw length and would be $$.

4. Projector - Put a motorized projector screen that folds up on the roof (or into a soffit) and hang a projector. This seems the best option, but a good projector seems expensive. This might also require motorized shades on all the windows, which can also be $$$.

So - any options I haven't thought of? Or suggestions on screens / mounts / projectors?

Mantel Mount.

You just need some anchors appropriate to your material. You may or may not be able to run cabling with or without hiring an installer, not sure what's behind the stone. However, I can say that we are super impressed with ours. We have a 50" high mantle 65" TV, and this thing puts the center of the screen at a couple inches above eye level when sitting. It also has a pivot to swing side to side. I had read about concerns with fire and smoke, but ultimately decided to yolo it. Also willing to answer questions about it.

eta pictures of the final height and speakers/drywall back up. There are panels that cover most of the bracket structure, and obviously the outlet/low voltage plates aren't finished/wires aren't managed, so it looks like poo poo but you get the idea.

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 14, 2017

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
When do the different brands release their 2017 models? Should I wait and see if the 2016 models drop in price?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

April is when they usually start to trickle out, but some models don't come out until much later (Sony didn't launch the Z9D until fall last year because they were still developing it.)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Another place has the Curved Samsung for ~110$ less. Is that worth it?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
drat, Sony OLED's are $5k for the 55" and $6,500 for the 65".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeesh, welcome to 2015 pricing Sony.

They'll be 50% off within 4 months.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Those are the Sony Website prices.

Actual store prices:
XBR-55A1E $3,999.99
XBR-65A1E $5,499.99
XBR-77A1E $14,999.99

Not that these are in the "affordable" segment, mind you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sony never sells at MSRP.

My W900A had an MSRP of $3500 but I picked it up at Best Buy for $1800 nine months after it came out

One thing to temper this is that these TVs are really competing against LG's G series rather than the B series. So, the prices are more in line there.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maybe next year they'll do one with a more traditional design that will be more affordable. The whole "stick all the electronics in the articulated stand and make the screen into speakers" is a flagship design exercise. People on AVS are saying the X900E FALD is pretty good and it's 1/3 the price.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

qirex posted:

People on AVS are saying the X900E FALD is pretty good and it's 1/3 the price.

Those people are 100% price motivated

How has Sony pricing been on the Z9D compared to MSRP?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of pricing I bought a LG B6 yesterday for around $1700 from a local dealer, and I would encourage anyone else on the west coast to shop at Video Only for their television needs.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Not gonna lie, the Sony OLED is pretty drat sexy. The new Samsung "Lifestyle TV" Frame looks pretty cool too since it would go really well with all the art on my wall, sadly it's probably going to end up being a substandard screen like the Serif had. https://www.fastcodesign.com/3068932/wanted/samsungs-new-tv-by-yves-behar-is-a-framed-piece-of-art-literally

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

eBay deal is back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Electronics-OLED65E6P-Flat-65-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-OLED-TV-/172451922133

LG Electronics OLED65E6P Flat 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV - $2800 with free shipping

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This might be a stupid question, but I've never seen a curved television in person and the curved KS8500 is getting close to the price I'm willing to pay while the flat version has not.

The only difference is the curve right? There wouldn't be any differences in input lag for gaming or whatever I assume? It would primarily be used as a gaming TV and also a giant PC monitor for media/gaming. Would be about 5 feet away, I wouldn't have to worry about viewing angle for other people really so I assume the curve wouldn't be a big deal.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GreenNight posted:

eBay deal is back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Electronics-OLED65E6P-Flat-65-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-OLED-TV-/172451922133

LG Electronics OLED65E6P Flat 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV - $2800 with free shipping

That loving soundbar though

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The soundbar is not removable, is it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

GreenNight posted:

The soundbar is not removable, is it?

Nope

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

gently caress that noise. :mad:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Luckily all the 2017s use the same panel so image quality will be identical no matter which on you get.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

What's a good television for your parents? Nothing fancy obviously.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tumor looking batty posted:

What's a good television for your parents? Nothing fancy obviously.

Whatever Vizio you can afford.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Is this the thread to ask questions about AV receivers?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AV receivers thread

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
How much does Best Buy negotiate on tv prices, if at all? I want to get a 65" LG B6P and I can find it for like $2200 on those bait and switch sites like tv superstore, and the understanding I get from posts online is that my Citi price rewind will match up to $500 and will match those types of offers. Best Buy has this TV for $3000, if I go in and ask nicely if they will negotiate on price at all, what are the odds I can get it down a couple or 300 bucks and get the rest of the difference with a credit card?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
They only match with actual places.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Hmm okay, I read on some other sites in the meanwhile that some people had been able to get like 10% off in some cases by asking them to like beat Amazon's price or finding a scratched box or something, but I guess it just depends on the manager?

What about that eBay deal for the E6P, my understanding is that as long as they are selling an item at a fixed price and I e-mail them to get rid of the bundle and just sell me a single TV, my credit card should be willing to price rewind that $2800 into the $2300 from another site, right?

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
They've given me discounts before with the stipulation that they would really like me to purchase the extended warranty. In every case, the cost after the warranty was still cheaper than every other legitimate vendor.

But I'm also in there at least once a week for work purchases. It's all in who you know.