Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I didn't even read it all.

Me:A looks like absolute poo poo though. The whole animation department should be shot.
There was talk in here a while ago about how lots of western Devs are really lazy with animations and ME:A literally looks worse in that respect than games that came out ten years ago.

I think ME 1-3 were okay technically, for the time they were released. People joked about reused animation and janky faces, but it felt acceptable for the scale of the games. ME: A looks like they tried something new for animating people and it just looks strange. Muscles move in ways I've never seen them move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Original Nier isn't that bad to play, especially since its fairly short, I think I got all the endings in about the same time as it's taken me to get halfway through the second route of Automata.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it wasn't fun wading through the second half of nier 4 times just to get to the very few differences, at least for me; very tedious. automata does the multiple playthrough thing much better than the original did while being a better game besides

I do think the story of the first game is stronger on the whole tho. I like the main characters in automata, but not as much as I did the main cast of nier. also (spoilers for the 3rd playthrough) the best playable character, a2, barely gets any screen time at all. real bummer there. I know she's supposed to be a continuation of 2b, but she's her own character and they don't give you as much time with her. also she's mechanically 2b+ and I want devil trigger earlier than that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's not released in the US for a couple more months but the link has it in stock at Wal Mart.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Midjack posted:

It's not released in the US for a couple more months but the link has it in stock at Wal Mart.

Oh, well.

:shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I unlocked Majima's Hostess Club Dash last night and it's silly how fun it is.

50 hours on the play clock, still in Chapter 7. :snoop:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Oxxidation posted:

I have to wonder sometimes how people like Utnayan function in normal society. You can only keep a lid on so much casual crazy.

Why keep a lid when you could affix a microphone and let him anchor a segment on Fox News instead?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

mycot posted:

I think ME 1-3 were okay technically, for the time they were released. People joked about reused animation and janky faces, but it felt acceptable for the scale of the games. ME: A looks like they tried something new for animating people and it just looks strange. Muscles move in ways I've never seen them move.

But enough about my sex tape

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Mass Effect: Andromeda has boldly decided to copy Life Is Strange by having all the main characters be snarky teenagers written by 40-year old people in suits who don't know how teenagers talk

https://twitter.com/_get2sammyb/status/843608109297913857

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda has boldly decided to copy Life Is Strange by having all the main characters be snarky teenagers written by 40-year old people in suits who don't know how teenagers talk

Salarian saved it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Instant Grat posted:

Ho. Lee. Phuc. King. poo poo.

That almost makes me want to play this campaign. However I won't, because everyone human looks like they were born lacking a chromosome...

I did gamefly it, though, solely for MP.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 20, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Oxxidation posted:

Salarian saved it.

Eh, still needed to be wearing a "You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same" T-shirt and a black emo fringe. Maybe a laugh track.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
When do we start seeing reviews of ME:A?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's good that Nier: Automata is a game designed for multiple runthroughs or whatever, because I am finding my first run to be mostly boring and tedious. The action is decent, but I spend 90% running around the same boring environments for the umpteenth time.

And it's dumb bullshit, too. Like, at one point, you find an item, and the protagonist is like "why would I ever need this". Later, you get a quest to go get that thing. Like, they just make you go back for it by preventing you from picking it up when you find it.

Moving around the areas isn't fun or interesting. Did you play Tranformers: Devastation? Because the areas are like that, except you can't​ turn into a car and drvie through them at a hundred miles an hour.

So, I look forward to playing this again, when I know all the bullshit that I'm stumbling through. The boss fights are fun, but most of the sidequests feel like single player mmo bullshit.

The writing is great at a large percentage of the side characters are entertaining, even if they only have a few lines.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
How big a role does the Irish lady in Andromeda play? Is she a major supporting character?

If I have to spend more than 5 minutes listening to that accent I am not touching this game with a barge pole

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

How big a role does the Irish lady in Andromeda play? Is she a major supporting character?

She is the science officer on the ship. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

doingitwrong posted:

She is the science officer on the ship. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So long, Mass Effect Andromeda. I hardly knew ye.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't stand Mass Effect but honestly all of these videos are kind of making me want to play it for a laugh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it still doesn't look as bad as dragon age 2

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

When do we start seeing reviews of ME:A?

Embargo is up in a couple hours.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Especially because the price is so low. It seems like it has to be a mistake.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Snak posted:

And it's dumb bullshit, too. Like, at one point, you find an item, and the protagonist is like "why would I ever need this". Later, you get a quest to go get that thing. Like, they just make you go back for it by preventing you from picking it up when you find it.

If you mean the machine parts in the Forest castle then that's the only quest that does that, for what it's worth.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you mean the machine parts in the Forest castle then that's the only quest that does that, for what it's worth.

...yay

I just died to some conveyer belt bullshit that one-shotted me after what I was already going to describe as the most boring and tedious fight in the game.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
A month ago everyone was freaking out about how bad Horizon looked because of a bad cutscene and.l now everyone loves it so maybe there's still hope for Mass Effect too!

I mean sure we've seen like 40 terrible things but maybe that just means it'll be 40 times as good...

maybe

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Instant Grat posted:

lol gently caress

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That scene is pretty goofy and fun imo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

It's good that Nier: Automata is a game designed for multiple runthroughs or whatever, because I am finding my first run to be mostly boring and tedious. The action is decent, but I spend 90% running around the same boring environments for the umpteenth time.

Moving around the areas isn't fun or interesting. Did you play Tranformers: Devastation? Because the areas are like that, except you can't​ turn into a car and drvie through them at a hundred miles an hour.

So, I look forward to playing this again, when I know all the bullshit that I'm stumbling through. The boss fights are fun, but most of the sidequests feel like single player mmo bullshit.

The writing is great at a large percentage of the side characters are entertaining, even if they only have a few lines.

This matches up with my experience. I have been dividing things up between knocking out sidequests while listening to podcasts and then dialing in when it's time to move the story along. Though there have been some intriguing story tidbits in those sidequests too.

Also you know it's a Japanese game when you have to do a sokoban puzzle.

The music is good though. I'm not listening to the track people have been repeatedly posting since it seems connected to the story but I have been listening to this early-game track on repeat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9rshXMEKsE

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snak posted:

...yay

I just died to some conveyer belt bullshit that one-shotted me after what I was already going to describe as the most boring and tedious fight in the game.

Unless you are playing on hard there isn't anything that can one shot you unless you are taking on a side quest that is double your level.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

What in the gently caress

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think I would actually be more interested in Mass Effect Andromeda if it actually were about a crew of teenagers and everyone else is like "Why are these fuckers the chosen ones"

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

That scene is meant to be intentionally awkward and it succeeds its a good and funny scene :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Unless you are playing on hard there isn't anything that can one shot you unless you are taking on a side quest that is double your level.

The conveyor belts can, and the large arm goliaths have a grab that can one (or near enough if you weren't 100%, I'm not entirely sure) shot you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kirbysuperstar posted:

The conveyor belts can, and the large arm goliaths have a grab that can one (or near enough if you weren't 100%, I'm not entirely sure) shot you.

Huh, I guess I never got hit by the belts as they are really slow, but I don't think the grab can one shot you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Moments of levity and comic relief can work great in a long and serious story. But if that main story is filled with gems like "My face is tired" then it's not so much comic relief as much as the whole thing is a farce

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

A big smasher on a conveyer belt came down on my head and killed me in one hit. I was really surprised that it killed me because enemies do almost no damage to me at this point. Like I was just walking through the level and they hid a smasher behind a puff of steam in the foreground and I died out of nowhere.

It was a really cool story mission, but it had a few segments that were just attrocious. Zooming so far out that 2B is a quarter in tall on my 40 inch screen and having me fight enemies I can't even really see? Putting a bunch of poo poo in the forground blocking my view of the action while on a moving conveyer belt? It's not challenging, it's still easy, it's just not any fun.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
also she's scottish, not irish

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

veni veni veni posted:

I can't stand Mass Effect but honestly all of these videos are kind of making me want to play it for a laugh.

My feelings exactly. I have never played a mass effect game and had no interest to start. Now, if it this is the Ed Wood film of AAA games, I would be interested. Most likely it will just be mediocre though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FishBulb posted:

A month ago everyone was freaking out about how bad Horizon looked because of a bad cutscene and.l now everyone loves it so maybe there's still hope for Mass Effect too!

I mean sure we've seen like 40 terrible things but maybe that just means it'll be 40 times as good...

maybe

Horizon Zero Dawn was VERY radio-silent, and what little we got was not a good way to show off the game to put it lightly. Mass Effect Andromeda has had a shitload shown off and all of it has been the same low-quality writing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Snak posted:

A big smasher on a conveyer belt came down on my head and killed me in one hit. I was really surprised that it killed me because enemies do almost no damage to me at this point. Like I was just walking through the level and they hid a smasher behind a puff of steam in the foreground and I died out of nowhere.

It was a really cool story mission, but it had a few segments that were just attrocious. Zooming so far out that 2B is a quarter in tall on my 40 inch screen and having me fight enemies I can't even really see? Putting a bunch of poo poo in the forground blocking my view of the action while on a moving conveyer belt? It's not challenging, it's still easy, it's just not any fun.

That whole segment is one of the hilarious and crazy parts of the game, though.

You probably will hate Route B, warning you now. Then again I'm not sure what you even like or if you're just one of those goons people that is never satisfied and always complains through everything, since you have been complaining non-stop in this and the Nier thread, but you're still playing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: double

precision fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 20, 2017