Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Its main premise of covering the map with your team's color more than your opponents do vs killcount is huge.
This leads to solving the issue with so many shooters when the only thing to do when you're not near someone is to go to where the action is or to camp for someone to come wandering.
You always have something to do, even with alone. Don't see anyone near you and your in enemy territory or neutral territory? Start painting it your color. People will come to stop you. The action will come to you.

This coupled with the weapons that don't feel like guns your used to and your primary objective directly ties to your only source of ammo and fast movement makes it a bigger evolution to shooters than TF2.

The Artistic direction and great music are icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm probably the only one who is old enough to remember Nerf arena online.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 20, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ChocNitty posted:

I'm probably the only one who is all enough to remember Nerf arena online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJyzp9YTSKo&t=10s

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Junkie Disease posted:

a bigger evolution to shooters than TF2.

lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Empress Brosephine posted:

The Fischer price of shooters, it rewards existing instead of skill.

show me on the doll where the fun game touched you

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Why is it laugh out loud? Tf2 was just TF polished and improved to a great degree, they made some brilliant decisions in character design and changes to health and teamwork. But it is TF2.

Where is Splatoon's TF1?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Junkie Disease posted:

Why is it laugh out loud? Tf2 was just TF polished and improved to a great degree, they made some brilliant decisions in character design and changes to health and teamwork. But it is TF2.

Where is Splatoon's TF1?

This is a good bit

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

You can laugh, but he's right.

Shooters have been tedious bores since CoD3. I actually had fun playing Splatoon. Remember fun? That thing games used to be before it was all about dead-eyed energy drink addled twitching so you could grind away for months to unlock a gold skin for your character's hat brim?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

This is a good bit

So reason is a "bit". Sure.

Having the arena being the main target is a very big change from shooter and team based or cover shooters.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I normally love the PC version of a game better, but shovel knight seems made for the switch

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Errr...as cool as it is to trash competitive FPS communities and game design because of their obnoxious masculinity, Splatoon is actually just a more egalitarian and toned-down non-plussed version of capture the flag.

It isn't some sort of gaming revolution; sorry.

Junkie Disease posted:

Having the arena being the main target is a very big change from shooter and team based or cover shooters.

You're very much thinking about where you and other players could be on the map at all times; the map is always an "objective" in an FPS game.

Anyway, I don't think the Switch thread is really to place to be discussing FPS game design...especially with people who doesn't seem at all partial to FPS games. Switch Trip Report: I'm now experiencing the infamous left joy-con issues specifically when my docked-Switch is at a lower elevation in my room; also, I'm tired of the literal waggle mechanics in Zelda, the puzzles themselves are fine...but the Switch controllers don't seem quite as accurate as the Wii-Mote. Maybe that's just me.

I hope Mario Odyssey doesn't have a whole lot of motion poo poo...or if it does, it better be a limited amount.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 20, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Healbot posted:

Oh wow a 40% difference, lemme just move these goalposts.

please dont pretend an mp fps launching with 5 maps is acceptable

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Catkin posted:

Help, I can't find a Switch in stock within a 100 mile radius :(

Roughly the same for me, and they all said they're sold out until the end of next month

I told myself I was fine with waiting a while for a Switch, now I'm kinda kicking myself for not camping out for one

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

It doesn't require skill and you don't have to kill people to win

The Fischer price of shooters, it rewards existing instead of skill.

Why are you so mad about a video game?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao if you dont like splatoon

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You can laugh, but he's right.

Shooters have been tedious bores since CoD3. I actually had fun playing Splatoon. Remember fun? That thing games used to be before it was all about dead-eyed energy drink addled twitching so you could grind away for months to unlock a gold skin for your character's hat brim?

do you even play fps games or is it you dont like them so they arent fun, because shooters are def still fun, thats why people buy lots of copies of them and why there are a bunch of different ones all doing really well right now lol

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It looks like Splatoon dropped with five maps, then got another map a whopping whole four days later, then two more nine days later...

I've never played Splatoon but getting a steady trickle of maps every 10 days or so and ending with about sixteen maps overall sounds more than reasonable

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

chaleski posted:

It looks like Splatoon dropped with five maps, then got another map a whopping whole four days later, then two more nine days later...

I've never played Splatoon but getting a steady trickle of maps every 10 days or so and ending with about sixteen maps overall sounds more than reasonable

naw its still really silly an fps came out with only 5 maps at launch sorry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
you can admit its dumb to launch a mp fps with 5 maps while still really liking the game, its ok, you dont have to defend absolutely everything about the things you like

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Hello, I'm the guy who bought a Wii U just to play Splatoon on launch. Now let me tell you why Splatoon caught my gaming heart instead of your generic FPS fare:

The colour scheme didn't solely consist of shades brown.

The theme was something else than marines in whatever.

You aim with the gyro instead of the sticks.

The gameplay mechanic of swimming in the ink your team shoots means stage mobility is great.

Fragging isn't key to winning a game, so even people who suck at aiming can contribute.

Lots of cool weapons to ink kids with.

Callie is the light that guides us in this cold and uncaring world.

And most importantly:

It's fun.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Stux posted:

you can admit its dumb to launch a mp fps with 5 maps while still really liking the game, its ok, you dont have to defend absolutely everything about the things you like

Meanwhile CSGo has only one map, so yeah 5 is totally overkill

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Stux posted:

If it was your typical shooter with a season pass and paid DLCS spread several months apart I would completely agree with you

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MoaM posted:

Errr...as cool as it is to trash competitive FPS communities and game design because of their obnoxious masculinity, Splatoon is actually just a more egalitarian and toned-down non-plussed version of capture the flag.

It isn't some sort of gaming revolution; sorry.

You're very much thinking about where you and other players could be on the map at all times; the map is always an "objective" in an FPS game.

Anyway, I don't think the Switch thread is really to place to be discussing FPS game design...especially with people who doesn't seem at all partial to FPS games. Switch Trip Report: I'm now experiencing the infamous left joy-con issues specifically when my docked-Switch is at a lower elevation in my room; also, I'm tired of the literal waggle mechanics in Zelda, the puzzles themselves are fine...but the Switch controllers don't seem quite as accurate as the Wii-Mote. Maybe that's just me.

I hope Mario Odyssey doesn't have a whole lot of motion poo poo...or if it does, it better be a limited amount.

I wasn't big on Waggle 1.0 or Waggle 2.0. But in Waggle 3.0 you can yank treasure chests out of the ground with one flick, and literally Hulk slam metal crates hard enough on top of enemies to gib them. The analog stick doesn't let you fling it down anywhere near fast enough; with gyro, it comes slamming down.

I've done nearly a hundred of the shrines so far and can count on one hand how many of them felt tedious due to Waggle. This was a pleasant surprise, because I was dreading the thought of 100+ mini-dungeons if they played out like the ones in Link Between Worlds. Some of them did, but it works a lot better in third person.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 20, 2017

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Yeah, I'm with you there: the actual speed of the Waggle is much more responsive, but I'm finding fine-tuned movements to be harder than normal (see: Marble Puzzle Shrine + Hammer Knocking Ball Into Hole Shrine).

Maybe I just need to play around with it more; I'm only at like 48 shrines myself. I still can't believe the game has more than 100 mini-dungeons.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

Stux.

Splatoon was fun at launch. Deal with it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

do you even play fps games or is it you dont like them so they arent fun, because shooters are def still fun, thats why people buy lots of copies of them and why there are a bunch of different ones all doing really well right now lol

BF1 was neat because it was WW1 (lol @ machine guns everywhere). And CoD3 was neat because it was something sorta new-ish at the time. But all 14 CoD games and all 10 BF games are, shockingly, just the exact same thing every year with a new skin.

If you can't see that then god bless your precious heart and I hope you enjoy each one because that garbage helps keep the industry afloat, same as how trash like superheroes and transformers keep Hollywood flush with cash to spend on the rare gems that aren't mind numbingly stupid. Slack-jawed rubes pressing X to pay their respects probably helped, in some way, to bankroll Horizon Zero Dawn or whatever fresh title worth actually owning. We need idiots to consume that swill.

Now then, how about you download that Splatoon testfire demo and join us in shooting game Valhalla?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

chaleski posted:

If it was your typical shooter with a season pass and paid DLCS spread several months apart I would completely agree with you

why, cod games launch with like 13 maps or something, and ow does the free content thing as well. it just isnt v good to launch with so little sorry

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Stux.

Splatoon was fun at launch. Deal with it.

i didnt say it wasnt

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

BF1 was neat because it was WW1 (lol @ machine guns everywhere). And CoD3 was neat because it was something sorta new-ish at the time. But all 14 CoD games and all 10 BF games are, shockingly, just the exact same thing every year with a new skin.

ok so you havnt played them then lol

also the genre is much wider than cod and bf, weird you would only pick them?

edit: also i think you meant cod4

Stux fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 20, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What Splatoon should have done was charged $60 for the game, $120 for the special edition, $60 for the season pass, $60 each for the weapon upgrade tokens, and $50 for yellow tinted hunting sunglasses.

I'm hooting mad at the squid kids for not doing this.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Stux posted:

Nah

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

What Splatoon should have done was charged $60 for the game, $120 for the special edition, $60 for the season pass, $60 each for the weapon upgrade tokens, and $50 for yellow tinted hunting sunglasses.

I'm hooting mad at the squid kids for not doing this.

this is a real tenuous point to make when nintendo absolutely isnt above dlc etc. its an industry wide thing.

also for the $60 game you get a full game with three full modes and lots of maps. not going to defend map dlc but to claim that cods base version is a rip off is absolutely ridiculous, nevermind that your point is still very laser focused on a couple of titles from a large genre

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

it absolutely is, sorry, its ridiculous. its good that the sequel is at least upping the on release map number as far as we know so far. or would you rather they cut it back down to five seeing as that was "fine"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stux posted:

this is a real tenuous point to make when nintendo absolutely isnt above dlc etc. its an industry wide thing.

also for the $60 game you get a full game with three full modes and lots of maps. not going to defend map dlc but to claim that cods base version is a rip off is absolutely ridiculous, nevermind that your point is still very laser focused on a couple of titles from a large genre

For the most part Nintendo is actually pretty good about DLC because they still haven't quite figured out how the internet works.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

CharlestheHammer posted:

For the most part Nintendo is actually pretty good about DLC because they still haven't quite figured out how the internet works.

difficult to say that given the state of botw's season pass honestly, never mind the amiibo stuff

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stux posted:

difficult to say that given the state of botw's season pass honestly, never mind the amiibo stuff

I always saw amibos as toys that may do other things.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's almost endearing at this point that they hand out massive expansion packs for free and charge $20 for old games you can get used at GameStop for $4.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This whole debate is silly because Splatoon launching with as much content as it did was more about Nintendo curating the content over time and doing a steady roll out as to build up experience in a playerbase that typically didn't play shooters.

You can call that a very silly and dumb approach if you want, but it's got very different motivations behind it than the roll out of maps and updates that other people do. I'm not saying it was special or brilliant either. Nintendo was trying to do something different with this game and it paid off for them, especially in Japan which isn't very disposed to this genre anyway.

Stux posted:

Oh wonderful, this old chestnut.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 20, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

TFRazorsaw posted:

This whole debate is silly because Splatoon launching with as much content as it did was more about Nintendo curating the content over time and doing a steady roll out as to build up experience in a playerbase that typically didn't play shooters.

You can call that a very silly and dumb approach if you want, but it's got very different motivations behind it than the roll out of maps and updates that other people do. I'm not saying it was special or brilliant either. Nintendo was trying to do something different with this game and it paid off for them, especially in Japan which isn't very disposed to this genre anyway.

overwatch did the exact same model yet managed to launch with a lot more content. you can try and make excuses for it but really its bizarre to defend releasing something for $60 with so little content. im not even saying the game is bad or anything! but 5 maps on launch is staggering and if any other company did that they would be rightly slaughtered for it. imagine the backlash if cod came out with 5 maps regardless of promising free content?

edit: ^ what old chestnut?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Stux posted:

it absolutely is, sorry, its ridiculous. its good that the sequel is at least upping the on release map number as far as we know so far. or would you rather they cut it back down to five seeing as that was "fine"

As long as they come and are free, I really would prefer it that way.

I'd probably rather they not do the map rotation thing but I can see why some might like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Stux posted:

Lol

• Locked thread