Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NickRoweFillea posted:

There's no way he retires. Too much money on the table. He hasn't been healthy all season and shelving him is the right thing to do. Maybe he'll be better next year, but right now he's the worst player on the team and needs to go sit and think about what he's done.

Parsons can still receive the rest of the contract, it just won't count for the Grizzlies cap.

Now the question is if the Grizzlies think it's more expensive to keep dead weight that adds to potential luxury tax or give up 24 million annually for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is the Sioux Falls Skyforce being sponsored by corn cooler or lamer than Kevin Love being sponsored by chocolate milk?

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The Parsons saga just bums me out, I remember him throwing down a huge dunk against Houston in the playoffs a couple years back and immediately having to leave the game because he reinjured his leg and thinking "man I hope he isn't loving his leg up forever"

I really think a healthy Parsons would have made good on a huge contract

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
HAH

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/843550563014868992

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Dario Saric says gently caress that tank.

He's been so good since the break. After Embiid went down it was clear as day he was competing against himself for ROTY, but it's impressive how much he's grown over the course of the season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

He's been so good since the break. After Embiid went down it was clear as day he was competing against himself for ROTY, but it's impressive how much he's grown over the course of the season.

He and Jokic are sooooooooooo good at passing the ball.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Sometimes at night I imagine what it would be like if the Magic kept Saric and drafted Jokic and became the Yugoslav national team. Playing with his countrymen has inspired Hezonja to be TMac with a better shot in this fantasy. It's fairly hot.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I have a question for all my serious basketball men

Seeing the blossoming of guys like Dion Waiters, Austin Rivers, and Lance Stephenson on the dead injured Grizzlies, how many players are out there who we think of as just meh role players who'd be able to really do things if they had the ball a lot. It seems like going from being the best player for your entire life to being an NBA role player is a very difficult transition for some personalities and of course for specific skillsets.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I watched his euro games and said he was going to be a great point forward and everyone was like, "hey Dejan, loving kill yourself bitch, it ain't happening," but look, it's happening, 76ers will be champions

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

I've always called those guys d league jordans. The guys who by any standard but the NBA are killers with complete skillsets, but at this level can only be the star of an 8 seed or a fourth option. Like, imagine prime Ricky Davis in China or Kevin Durant, College Senior.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I had a thought today, how much does it actually cost to sponsor D-League jerseys? We ought to scrounge up $1k and put an entire D-League team in uniforms that say "THE WARRIORS LOST THE FINALS WITH A 3-1 LEAD"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I have a question for all my serious basketball men

Seeing the blossoming of guys like Dion Waiters, Austin Rivers, and Lance Stephenson on the dead injured Grizzlies, how many players are out there who we think of as just meh role players who'd be able to really do things if they had the ball a lot. It seems like going from being the best player for your entire life to being an NBA role player is a very difficult transition for some personalities and of course for specific skillsets.

That makes some sense. I imagine everyone who ends up anywhere in the NBA spends their whole career up to that being the center of attention on every play and doesn't ever spend time developing off-ball skills or a feel for how the game moves when someone else initiates. When you think about it, while they may be "easier" skills than superstar skills in that more people can do them, they don't come without practice.

chunkles posted:

I had a thought today, how much does it actually cost to sponsor D-League jerseys? We ought to scrounge up $1k and put an entire D-League team in uniforms that say "THE WARRIORS LOST THE FINALS WITH A 3-1 LEAD"

home jersey: "despite having the first unanimous MVP" (the home jersey begins mid-sentence)

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 19, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

chunkles posted:

This is the best idea for a goon project.

I think the Texas Legends did a thing last year where they had a different jersey sponsor for every home game.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Pelican players have given Steez the nickname of "Instant Grits".

Relatedly, he has been playing extremely well for the Pels and I'm afraid of a big drop-off from him next season.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Papercut posted:

There is not a single moment where I miss having this guy on my team.

Any trade where you get rid of a Plumlee is a trade you have won.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

chunkles posted:

If they let that be an ad, I would be willing to chip in.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Would the all-flat Earth team be favorites to win a title?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Shaq and Kyrie are a pretty good duo. Who else do we have?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Poetle can hit three?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
3 wins is 3 wins more than I expected Portland to have on this 3 game road trip.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Wait
is Skal Labissiere actually good like his strange caretaker/kidnapper expected?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at2G3D2-rgE
His form is so odd and floppy. Can he do this against actual NBA teams?
edit: 32 points 11/15 shooting 9/11 from the line 0 assists 2 steals 0 blocks that's a strange stat line

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 20, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Whoa NY professional NY basketball teams have combined for 98 losses this year. We would've broken 100 already if they hadn't made us play each other.

Um an -ectomy doesn't usually "repair" something. It excises it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

leftist heap posted:

3 wins is 3 wins more than I expected Portland to have on this 3 game road trip.

Too bad about that Wizards game before they left.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Shaq and Kyrie are a pretty good duo. Who else do we have?

Wilson Chandler and Draymond. Just need a 2 guard.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wilson Chandler and Draymond. Just need a 2 guard.

Gilbert Arenas.

I don't know if he's a flat earther, but if you had to pick a SG and you're looking for that kind of crazy then Agent Zero seems like a good candidate.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

Wait
is Skal Labissiere actually good like his strange caretaker/kidnapper expected?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at2G3D2-rgE
His form is so odd and floppy. Can he do this against actual NBA teams?
edit: 32 points 11/15 shooting 9/11 from the line 0 assists 2 steals 0 blocks that's a strange stat line

Skal put up 14/7 against the Spurs. He's such a surprise that Kings fans are now on the "Vlade knew what he was doing we got a bright future" bandwagon before we are even 100% sure that the Pelicans pick is coming our way this year

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Skal put up 14/7 against the Spurs. He's such a surprise that Kings fans are now on the "Vlade knew what he was doing we got a bright future" bandwagon before we are even 100% sure that the Pelicans pick is coming our way this year

He's such an oddly shaped man, like part Nerlens Noel part Manute Bol. In college he was processing the action about a second behind everyone else, apparently he's catching up to the speed of the game. The suns have been playing smaller bigs who've been scoring a lot and are perfectly suited to be out lengthed and flicked

If he ever learns defense he might be the top lottery pick version of channing frye he was supposed to be before people watched him play in college

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

WhyteRyce posted:

And these are end of year stats. Remember when Darren Collison and Marcus Thornton blew up the league post ASB and looked like future all stars?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DeimosRising posted:

And these are end of year stats. Remember when Darren Collison and Marcus Thornton blew up the league post ASB and looked like future all stars?

I do. :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Spurs bad y'all

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Whoa NY professional NY basketball teams have combined for 98 losses this year. We would've broken 100 already if they hadn't made us play each other.

Um an -ectomy doesn't usually "repair" something. It excises it.

From browsing the www this is the middle ground between ripping the meniscus out entirely, or trying tto stitch it up. It's cutting out the part that's effectively dead and rotten and hoping for some less complex connective tissue to grow in its place via the supremely increased pressure on the rest of the old menisco
http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/88-B/12/1549

quote:

The increased intra-articular contact stresses within the knee after meniscectomy are thought to ‘overload’ the articular cartilage, with associated biochemical changes, including loss of proteoglycan, disaggregation of proteoglycan, an increase in synthesis of proteoglycan and an increase in hydration.19 The macroscopic and microscopic signs of failure of articular cartilage after meniscectomy have also been demonstrated by animal models,19,20 ranging from fibrillation of the surface to necrosis and loss of the cartilage layer.
Schimmer et al47 found that the factor with the highest impact on long-term results following arthroscopic partial meniscectomy was damage to the articular cartilage. Although pre-existing damage did not influence knee function for several years after operation, patients with damage to the articular cartilage had increasing symptoms over time. After five years and more, only 62% of patients with cartilage damage rated excellent or good, compared with 95% of those with isolated meniscal tears and an intact joint surface.

In 1980, Goodfellow78 published an editorial in the British edition of the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery entitled “He who hesitates is saved”. He stated that “Meniscectomy is only justifiable if a meniscus is causing more trouble than it is worth, and that is a value judgement which, like much else in clinical surgery, must be taken on inadequate evidence”.

Amateur diagnosis: maybe it gives him another year or so before his knee is loving shot for good, If there was any chance of fixing it, they'd have tried one of several repair techniques. I'm guessing his section of non destroyed meniscus will grow a little patch of tissue and they figure that's the best they can do for him, but directions and areas and all kinds of things. I'm afraid Chandelier is hosed, but maybe he can adjust his game and have a Deron esque resurgence as a solid bench player

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol at the warriors telling okc they didn't like how they treated kd on his first return

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Thornton did that twice, once for NO and the other for us and I maintain that Thornton was a good SG until something in his brain broke

RIP my favorite backcourt pairing of Thornton and Terrence Williams

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 20, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's such an oddly shaped man, like part Nerlens Noel part Manute Bol. In college he was processing the action about a second behind everyone else, apparently he's catching up to the speed of the game. The suns have been playing smaller bigs who've been scoring a lot and are perfectly suited to be out lengthed and flicked

If he ever learns defense he might be the top lottery pick version of channing frye he was supposed to be before people watched him play in college

Joerger didn't start playing him right away, instead having him work on specific things and start working him in on favorable matchups. I think that early patience paid off and gave him a level of comfort he hadn't had before.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Spurs bad y'all

yup, and schedule's about to get pretty brutal too

fun times ahead! toot toot!

:tif:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ChickenMedium posted:

Any trade where you get rid of a Plumlee is a trade you have won.

The name Plumlee always reminds me of the word "plumbbob" which is the name of a weight you hang from a string to orient something exactly vertical. It's a very fitting metaphor for these total deadweight dudes who are always caught stiff and flatfooted.

RaySmuckles posted:

yup, and schedule's about to get pretty brutal too

fun times ahead! toot toot!

:tif:

Extended streaks of bad post-RRT are always troubling.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The craziest thing about the Plumlee trade to me is that for some reason Nurkic and Noah Vonleh have great chemistry and Nurkic has basically resuscitated Vonleh's career prospects.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Metapod posted:

Lol at the warriors telling okc they didn't like how they treated kd on his first return

kobe_soft.gif

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
OKC is klan country so it's fine to poo poo on it anyway.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

False. Also that Haynes article was a hilariously bad hit piece. It's already been revised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Panzeh posted:

Not really, there are some suspect suburbs though.

• Locked thread