Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Modus Pwnens posted:

As long as they come and are free, I really would prefer it that way.

can you defend why you would rather a game release with less content? this is a weird thing to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stux posted:

overwatch did the exact same model yet managed to launch with a lot more content. you can try and make excuses for it but really its bizarre to defend releasing something for $60 with so little content. im not even saying the game is bad or anything! but 5 maps on launch is staggering and if any other company did that they would be rightly slaughtered for it. imagine the backlash if cod came out with 5 maps regardless of promising free content?

If they gave you a time table and stuck with it people would be called entitled shits.

And to be fair they would be right.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

CharlestheHammer posted:

If they gave you a time table and stuck with it people would be called entitled shits.

And to be fair they would be right.

no, i think if call of duty released with 5 multiplayer maps they would be raked over the coals for it. look at how much poo poo the original titanfall got for its lack of content

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Stux posted:

can you defend why you would rather a game release with less content? this is a weird thing to say

It was a manageable number of maps to learn at once, and it was fun having something new to learn at the same time as everyone else every update.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Stux posted:

no, i think if call of duty released with 5 multiplayer maps they would be raked over the coals for it. look at how much poo poo the original titanfall got for its lack of content

Which they didn't have much of a plan to fix yes, it took Nintendo less than a week.

Try again

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Like I know you're Stux or whatever but you keep saying "on release" as if that's some sacred moment, rather than the experience of playing it week by week. It's not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stux posted:

overwatch did the exact same model yet managed to launch with a lot more content. you can try and make excuses for it but really its bizarre to defend releasing something for $60 with so little content. im not even saying the game is bad or anything! but 5 maps on launch is staggering and if any other company did that they would be rightly slaughtered for it. imagine the backlash if cod came out with 5 maps regardless of promising free content?

edit: ^ what old chestnut?

No, it's not like Overwatch at all. Splatoon's roll out of content was in a very quick and limited degree of time, while Overwatch's is almost quarterly and spaced out over much larger periods of time. Splatoon's updates were all largely ready and were drip fed out over a short period of time to essentially teach the audience how to play it and get used to the various maps and weapons instead of throwing it out all at once. This is because their audience was a group of people who don't typically play shooters.

You can disagree with it all you want, but at least understand the circumstances and the reasoning for why it occurred.

And the "old chestnut" is the severe overreaction to the season pass simply existing. Nintendo has always offered a decent amount of content for their paid DLC and there's nothing to indicate that this won't be the case again.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Why are we arguing that a game launched with five levels when that isn't relevant anymore to the game in question.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Modus Pwnens posted:

It was a manageable number of maps to learn at once, and it was fun having something new to learn at the same time as everyone else every update.

this is nonsensical. this has never been an issue before in games even when theyve done something new, why is it an issue now?

TFRazorsaw posted:

No, it's not like Overwatch at all. Splatoon's roll out of content was in a very quick and limited degree of time, while Overwatch's is almost quarterly and spaced out over much larger periods of time. Splatoon's updates were all largely ready and were drip fed out over a short period of time to essentially teach the audience how to play it and get used to the various maps and weapons instead of throwing it out all at once. This is because their audience was a group of people who don't typically play shooters.

You can disagree with it all you want, but at least understand the circumstances and the reasoning for why it occurred.

And the "old chestnut" is the severe overreaction to the season pass simply existing. Nintendo has always offered a decent amount of content for their paid DLC and there's nothing to indicate that this won't be the case again.

saying that the content was in fact ready but still missing when it came out makes it worse, not better. i understand the circumstances and reasoning given, but theyre comical and not based in any kind of reality. why are people suddenly idiots who cant cope with more than 5 maps for an FPS?

the season pass is fine, i dont care if people do them, but the content consists of things that came with older zelda games, an in game t shirt and some chests. if you're fine with spending $20 for that knock yourself out, but its not exactly a great sign of things to come is it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Modus Pwnens posted:

Like I know you're Stux or whatever but you keep saying "on release" as if that's some sacred moment, rather than the experience of playing it week by week. It's not.

on release is generally a very important moment in a games lifespan, yes

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

At this point the switch "gimmick" is just quality of life for me and I don't think I could stand a portable that didn't have tv capabilities, since the system really is convenient for playing wherever or however you like with basically non existent hassle.

Has anyone with a 3ds or vita (lol) touched it since getting a switch?

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stux posted:

this is nonsensical. this has never been an issue before in games even when theyve done something new, why is it an issue now?

saying that the content was in fact ready but still missing when it came out makes it worse, not better. i understand the circumstances and reasoning given, but theyre comical and not based in any kind of reality. why are people suddenly idiots who cant cope with more than 5 maps for an FPS?[/quote]

I never told you that you had to find them to be good reasons. The problem is you keep comparing them to content that's priced, or updates that come out over long periods of time and funded by in game microtransactions. That's erroneous.

It's less about people being "idiots" and more about introducing an audience of children and Japanese people to a game style they're not familiar with.

quote:

the season pass is fine, i dont care if people do them, but the content consists of things that came with older zelda games, an in game t shirt and some chests. if you're fine with spending $20 for that knock yourself out, but its not exactly a great sign of things to come is it

The content consists of things that are typically added to Zelda games in remakes. I can't think of a single non-spinoff game that has ever added a new story scenario to a base game, either. So... no, not really what you're saying at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

At this point the switch "gimmick" is just quality of life for me and I don't think I could stand a portable that didn't have tv capabilities, since the system really is convenient for playing wherever or however you like with basically non existent hassle.

I have used both my 3DS and Vita since getting a switch. Both of those systems have the advantage of having more than one game on them.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Well hey, c'mon! People who aren't me still have two non-obsolete Pokemon games, two Dragon Quest remakes and a bunch of older titles to play.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never told you that you had to find them to be good reasons. The problem is you keep comparing them to content that's priced, or updates that come out over long periods of time and funded by in game microtransactions. That's erroneous.

It's less about people being "idiots" and more about introducing an audience of children and Japanese people to a game style they're not familiar with.

no, i also compared them to what comes out in the base content of any other fps. i mean compare it to anything really, its less than what you get by default in the rest of the genre.

that still makes no sense, its less content than the very first multiplayer fps games had! if anything that wouldve been the time you could make that argument. also its completely erronous, kids play fps games, and cod/battlefield also sell well in japan. its not some mysterious alien genre any more than jrpgs are here.

quote:

The content consists of things that are typically added to Zelda games in remakes. I can't think of a single non-spinoff game that has ever added a new story scenario to a base game, either. So... no, not really what you're saying at all.

zelda 1

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

no, i also compared them to what comes out in the base content of any other fps. i mean compare it to anything really, its less than what you get by default in the rest of the genre.

that still makes no sense, its less content than the very first multiplayer fps games had! if anything that wouldve been the time you could make that argument. also its completely erronous, kids play fps games, and cod/battlefield also sell well in japan. its not some mysterious alien genre any more than jrpgs are here.

It's not just it being a shooter; it's very mechanically different and appealing to people who don't play shooters. They were up front about this from the start; the idea of the game's launch being a seasonal thing that would escalate was part of how they sold the game. The "base content" was a spread out, timed experience.

quote:

zelda 1

Released decades ago, not really a story mode, and basically amounted to rearranging the drat tilesets. You sure showed me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Unghhhhh, I want this: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/20/square-enix-shows-footage-seiken-densetsu-3-played-nintendo-switch/

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Splatoon 2 looks extremely fun and I plan on buying it on launch day no matter how many maps it has

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Stux posted:

First multiplayer FPS games just reused the single player maps, most of which were poo poo for multiplayer. Those days are long gone, nowadays developers have to make maps specifically tuned for multiplayer. Quality over quantity and so on.

I hope you have hard facts to back your claim about western FPS games selling well in Japan, because that's not what I've been hearing.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Yo, I'm so jaded about classic Square games on modern consoles/handhelds that I'm inclined to believe that's staged.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There are two Zelda games that have launched with hard/hero mode on release: Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds. In those games, the Hero Mode has always consisted of adjusting damage sliders and maybe removing recovery hearts. Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD were remakes, and Master Quest is infamously an extensive revisionings. So that's three verses two in regards to what is and isn't a paid re-release - hardly something "standard" for the franchise.

Considering Nintendo's attempts at other paid expansions, like New Luigi U and the like, I think it's not unjustified to assume their Hard Mode will be more in the vein of Master Quest than "move the damage numbers"; it'd also be horrifically imbalanced given how punishing enemy damage is already.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Remember fun? That thing games used to be

Lol gently caress off

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I just wish that Sudo 51 would release a Switch version of Let It Die, I'd gladly play for weeks on end.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Has literally no one in the Nintendo bubble played Titanfall 2 or RE7? If you have the technology, those are a legit good (AND FUN™) FPS games guys...
I'm sorry they have space marines and brown stuff doe. Port Battlefield 1 to Switch!

So many edits because I can't type.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 20, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MoaM posted:

Has literally no one in the Nintendo bubble played Titanfall 2 or RE7? If you have the technology, those are a legit good FPS game guys...I'm sorry they have space marines and brown stuff doe.

Yeah Titanfall 2 looked dope. Is RE7 really a FPS though?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I'd say so. I mean if Amnesia Dark Descent is? Then yes...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

MoaM posted:

Has literally no one in the Nintendo bubble played Titanfall 2 or RE7? If you have the technology, those are a legit good FPS game guys...I'm sorry they have space marines and brown stuff doe.

If I were interested in the theme, then sure. But I've played my share of FPS games, and Splatoon has that oldschool FPS vibe that isn't hellbent on establishing itself as a realistic shooter. Also it has a control system that is the closest to a mouse+wasd system. Using twin sticks is like going back to keyboard. No thank you.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i played splatoon for like 30 minutes at a friend's house and all i got from it was that i hated playing shooters on console and that aiming with the gamepad sucked rear end

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Why are you guys comparing Splatoon to COD or Battlefield?
Splatoon is a third person shooter where you shoot the arena. They're different games.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Let me just lay my bias on the table: I honestly believe that Perfect Dark on the 64 and Goldeneye 2010 are the only quality console shooters (and hope they get put on Switch).

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

VideoGames posted:

Why are you guys comparing Splatoon to COD or Battlefield?
Splatoon is a third person shooter where you shoot the arena. They're different games.

You do not want an answer to this because the need for this debate on Splatoon to end outweighs the flippancy of comparing a Third Person Shooter to a First Person one that debate should just end.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not just it being a shooter; it's very mechanically different and appealing to people who don't play shooters. They were up front about this from the start; the idea of the game's launch being a seasonal thing that would escalate was part of how they sold the game. The "base content" was a spread out, timed experience.

Released decades ago, not really a story mode, and basically amounted to rearranging the drat tilesets. You sure showed me.

i have played the game, it really isnt, its a shooter with a gimmick. its still a shooter!! and again, even if you're trying to get people who dont play that genre, you dont have to do weird stuff like limit the maps! how does that actually help, unless they are also people who just dont play video games at all?

whatever their reasoning or however upfront they were doesnt matter, its still a ridiculous decision and it seems like they agree with there being more maps announced for the sequels launch than they had for the first game, so why even try and argue that it was anything other than a mis-step?

Rexroom posted:

First multiplayer FPS games just reused the single player maps, most of which were poo poo for multiplayer. Those days are long gone, nowadays developers have to make maps specifically tuned for multiplayer. Quality over quantity and so on.

I hope you have hard facts to back your claim about western FPS games selling well in Japan, because that's not what I've been hearing.

yeah and guess what, people still got on fine even though the whole concept of the genre, let alone a multiplayer version, was extremely new and different to everything before it. really weird

just watch the japanese sale charts around the release of any major fps, here was 2016s:

thats two days worth of sales and on an installment which sold less overall than the one before, including in japan. splatoon definitely broke out further but acting like western fps or western games in general dont exist in japan in 2017 is bizarre.

Stux fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 20, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

whatever their reasoning or however upfront they were doesnt matter, its still a ridiculous decision and it seems like they agree with there being more maps announced for the sequels launch than they had for the first game, so why even try and argue that it was anything other than a mis-step?

Stux, having played Splatoon from launch all the way to a few months after the final content release, having weekly updates was a good thing. It kept things exciting and fun. I liked it quite a bit, actually. I'm hoping Nintendo does it with Splatoon 2 as well. However, it's really weird to use the sequel starting with more content as some kind of admission of failure on Nintendo's part. When the original game launched, there wasn't an established pool to draw from. With Splatoon 2, there's 15 maps and 4 different play modes on top of all the weapons and gear added throughout the year. With a larger pool of resources to draw from, why wouldn't they? It would make no sense for them not to. You're argument makes no sense.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I was at a Streetpass event in my hometown over the weekend (they haven't changed their name yet) and a lot of people brought their Switches. Two of the competitive events were for 1/2 Switch (the cowboy draw game) and Bomberman.

One of the guys who showed up was so impressed that he left the event to try and buy a Switch. He came back disappointed, however, as the only place that had one was CEX (a UK 2nd hand electronics/gaming chain), and they added £80 to the RRP. So it would have been £360 ($450). This was without a game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Five good maps is always better than 20 mediocre maps.
I don't see the problem of releasing a good game with good quality maps (despite it not being as many as an established series) if the levels being played on are good.

Team Fortress 2 only released with 5 maps and that garned such a huge game playing population and received constant free updates. Same thing as splatoon.

I think comparing it to established franchises does Splatoon a disservice too. We could definitely lament how it launched if it was as bad as say a game like Brink. It didn't however. It did fantastically.

Also, it's not the same kind of game as the CoDs or the Battlefields.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yep, gently caress CeX. They're also the only place in my town that has one and are charging more for it. I did try Argos because usually they're good for gaming stuff since people don't really think of them but no dice.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

PAL eShop is getting the Tomorrow Corporation "trilogy" games this week, World of Goo, Human Resource Machine and Little Inferno. They're all €9.99/£8.99 each.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

PAL eShop is getting the Tomorrow Corporation "trilogy" games this week, World of Goo, Human Resource Machine and Little Inferno. They're all €9.99/£8.99 each.

I would really like Binding of Isaac.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

VideoGames posted:

I would really like Binding of Isaac.
https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/842242404434481152

No date, but confirmation that it's also getting a retail release here.

If you really want it, it's fairly trivial to set up an NA account and get it off the eShop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/843658507719127040

Seiken Densetsu 3 on the Switch? :syoon:

Fingers crossed we'll finally get an official English localised release as well.

Please port Secret of Mana as well :swoon:

• Locked thread