Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What I take away from the reviews is that writing and dialogues aren't good and that the game fails to make you care about the story which is something that was important to me personally in the previous entries. I know that some reviewers liked the story but considering that it was panned by big review websites that don't have a really high bar set for such things then I'm inclined to believe them.

There are people who played Mass Effect for other reasons than me so they'll probably be ok with just the gameplay but to me gameplay in Bioware RPGs was always secondary to the narrative even in their best titles.

I really enjoyed ME3's multiplayer so I could see myself getting this game at some point for that but the reports of latency problems are really off-putting and unless I hear it was fixed with patching then I'm not taking the risk.

The last argument for me to actually buy this would be The Room experience where the product is extremely entertaining against the creators' intent. I'd just mentally switch to seeing this title as another Risen 3/Law&Order and have fun playing through a cringeworthy janky thing with embarassing dialogues but I can wait for a steep discount to experience that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

To be clear I don't even think the game deserves some of the lower scores it's getting, but it is IS sitting at a 75 on Metacritic, which is several points lower then DA2, a game known primarily for being really bad.

I think DA2 is one case where the really was some kind of payola going on, because it's absolutely mental that anyone gave that game above a 70 and IIRC a whole lot of people were giving it 90+ and GOTY (and PCGamer even called it "RPG of the decade" though, in fairness, they didn't specify which decade).

And I say that as someone who played all the way through DA2. Twice. I even enjoyed myself, a little.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kurtofan posted:

aew vegas had 69 metacritic or somethign and it was the best game of al time
84, it was pretty well reviewed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Doctor Spaceman posted:

my bad then, i remember them being screwed out of cash moneys because of bad reviews

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kurtofan posted:

my bad then, i remember them being screwed out of cash moneys because of bad reviews

85 was the cut-off for the bonus apparently.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

The deal they made was it had to get 85 or higher. It was a very bad deal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

What I take away from the reviews is that writing and dialogues aren't good and that the game fails to make you care about the story which is something that was important to me personally in the previous entries. I know that some reviewers liked the story but considering that it was panned by big review websites that don't have a really high bar set for such things then I'm inclined to believe them.

There are people who played Mass Effect for other reasons than me so they'll probably be ok with just the gameplay but to me gameplay in Bioware RPGs was always secondary to the narrative even in their best titles.

I really enjoyed ME3's multiplayer so I could see myself getting this game at some point for that but the reports of latency problems are really off-putting and unless I hear it was fixed with patching then I'm not taking a risk.

The last argument for me to actually buy this would be The Room experience where the product is extremely entertaining against the creators' intent. I'd just mentally switch to seeing this title as another Risen 3/Law&Order and have fun playing through a cringeworthy janky thing with embarassing dialogues but I can wait for a steep discount to experience that.

On top of that, the game's apparently quite buggy, and not just in it's presentation. I'll probably be picking it up when it gets its first significant discount.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Torment 2 is only sitting at 2 points higher than Andromeda right now.

Now that is giving me pause, because if there's one game that journalists wanted to like it is that one.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

CottonWolf posted:

I don't understand these reviews. They're calling out completely contradictory things as good and bad. Some people saying the story is terrible, others that it's the best bit. Same with the combat.

People have different tastes. Who knew?

"Everyone will find something to hate in this game!"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Mister Macys posted:

I'm still genuinely surprised there was a demo released for this game, as it implies a level of confidence in their product such that it will drive increased sales.

Agreed in principle, but given the tie-in to a platform product like Origin Access, it's possible that the demo was a foregone conclusion, like there were too many dependencies with licensing and marketing to pull it. Or it's useful for pre-launch testing, when a few extra days of public feedback can help deliver a patch that much faster in the critical post-launch window. Or it's (more) mismanagement and groupthink/echo chamber.

It worked in my case. I was probably going to pre-order it regardless, but I enjoyed it enough to want more after 10 hours. It's -really- helped dial in expectations more than any stream or Uncle Nintendo early review could.

*edit - the theory about it being a trial for Origin Access is sound. It's a transparent service with smart benefits and an easy cancellation button. More subscriptions should be like that.

isk fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 20, 2017

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Mister Macys posted:

You don't have Platinum, so I have to ask here; what is your avatar from, and did MST3k make an episode of it?

Yep, the film is the 'The Amazing Colossal Man' and it is indeed an MST3k episode.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah. And, well, for all its virtues, it inherited a lot of jank from Fallout 3, and lost the whole "Explore an irradiated wasteland!" back of the box appeal in exchange for "Decide which assholes seem least lovely in a local military squabble."

Again, it's quite good, but there are obvious weaknesses a reviewer could dock it for while admiring the virtues.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'll probably buy this for a discount at some time in the future. As it seems to be now though, Bioware isn't stepping up their game nearly enough for me to justify this purchase. If this were the first game in a new series by a new company then a very middling game like this is appearing to be would be enough for me to give it a shot. But Dragon Age 2 was terrible by most accounts and I never bought it. Inquisition was okay but in the end too MMOish so I never finished it. Mass Effect 3 was okay for the most part but the ending was rotten. With this game having a not strong start and what looks to be a bad finish Bioware's track record is more miss than hit for me at this point. Something's gotta change.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

precision posted:

I think DA2 is one case where the really was some kind of payola going on, because it's absolutely mental that anyone gave that game above a 70 and IIRC a whole lot of people were giving it 90+ and GOTY (and PCGamer even called it "RPG of the decade" though, in fairness, they didn't specify which decade).

And I say that as someone who played all the way through DA2. Twice. I even enjoyed myself, a little.

Same, sadly. Act 1 was a pretty ok setup, all things considered - I certainly liked it more then what I saw of ME:A's opening.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

precision posted:

Torment 2 is only sitting at 2 points higher than Andromeda right now.

Now that is giving me pause, because if there's one game that journalists wanted to like it is that one.

It's unfortunately a lot like MEA seems to be: the underlying tech has issues, lack of attention to details and the story is a weaker retread of what was done far better before, only doing it also with a lot more words and filler. It also has the added downside of gameplay not being fun either, when you compare it to Divinity Original Sin for example.

Oh, and also they didn't deliver a lot of stuff they promised during their Kickstarter (and even only weeks ago).

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Mar 20, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

There are so many new/recent releases out right now on most platforms that I can recommend way more than this - Horizon, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Watch Dogs 2 (seriously, it's fun). That excludes Zelda and I'm probably forgetting about other good ones atm. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out with sales and personnel. I really hope good folks don't get axed because they were set up for failure, but at the same time the company and/or publisher get their poo poo together and learn from this.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It sounds like the dialogue is handled on the level of Fallout 4 which is just about the only thing worse than the paragon/renegade system.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I might be misremembering but the biggest complains against new Vegas were technical or engine related, like bugs and crashes, having to cordon of vegas itself and such. Obsidians reputation probably didn't help even though most of these problems were inerhitted from fallout 3 to begin with.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Minrad posted:

I mean, it's bad in most of the US too. Arguing over who has it worse is like saying "well my piss and pus milkshake is worse than your poo poo sundae!!" they are both loving horrible compared to most of the modern world.

signed, a guy who had satellite internet and dial-up as options as recently as 8 years ago (this changed when I got access to a loving WISP for a few years, which had horrendous speeds (less than 1 mbit down) until I moved a few years ago)

Until roughly 4ish years ago my internet was so bad I would spend 3-4 days downloading a single game. I hear you.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It sounds like the dialogue is handled on the level of Fallout 4 which is just about the only thing worse than the paragon/renegade system.

Little bit worse honestly. Often times you'll be narrowed down to two responses rather than the advertised four and they won't be wildly different.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Maybe this happens later on, but I didn't get this vibe from the demo. Ryder's lines seemed more like different reactions from the same person rather than kaleidoscopic shrieking from a moody child.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I bought Fallout 4. I played Fallout 4. I even vaguely recall liking it a lot. But I don't remember like... anything specific at all other than "oh great they didn't fix the loving map".

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

precision posted:

I bought Fallout 4. I played Fallout 4. I even vaguely recall liking it a lot. But I don't remember like... anything specific at all other than "oh great they didn't fix the loving map".

Do you remember when you shot your son in the face because it felt right but it broke the game?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Clawtopsy posted:

hello yes i am an australian

i exist on the 'NBN', the National Broadband Network, which was the Government's plan to connect all Australia with fiber optics so advanced that Google said we would become the world's leading Digital Economy

then that mob got ousted from government and they went "fiber optics are expensive, let's replace it with copper" and the tech sector went "wait copper is obsolete now, and possibly even more costly???" and the government said "lo fuk u nerds shouldve played football"

i'm lucky enough to be in a very regional town (over 100 miles as the crow flies from the capital of my state) that got the fiber optic rollout before the old government got shafted, and i get speeds of roughly 2.5mbs

its really epic that the lnp threw it all away and doubled down on coal, but i left and now i have blazing fast cable and it aint my loving problem anymore :tipshat:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

The system they replaced paragon vs. renegade with is you get 2-4 dialogue options, all of which are some flavor of paragon. It's literally just the old system but with less actual, meaningful options and more ways to say 'Okay'

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

CottonWolf posted:

I don't understand these reviews. They're calling out completely contradictory things as good and bad. Some people saying the story is terrible, others that it's the best bit. Same with the combat.

People have different tastes. Who knew?

It's quite shocking

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
JHesus christ this thread moves too fast

everyone take a deep dang breath right this instant!!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

DancingShade posted:

Until roughly 4ish years ago my internet was so bad I would spend 3-4 days downloading a single game. I hear you.

200 MB daily cap on satellite internet, no idea if that ever changed but gently caress I'd kill myself before willingly suffering satellite internet again. I remember intentionally avoiding gag "56k no!!" threads because it could easily throw me over the cap and installing the earliest script blockers just to disable all images on every web page. Or loading into WoW on satellite with 2k ms ping to escape the city then switching to my 28.8k internet once I was in the wild. The 28.8k connection would disconnect if there were more than 10 or so people around me. :suicide:

With the wisp it was a little better at first, then they started to do extreme bandwidth caps or oversold themselves and for a few years I could not play online games with friends because I was stuck with a permanent 10-20% packet loss, wildly varying ping, and constant disconnects. Downloads were also slow as gently caress, I remember needing to tell friends not to wait up since I'd take 2 hours to download a 300 MB dota 2 patch. I disctinctly remember getting into the beta for DotA 2, looking at a day+ download, and then deciding it would be easier to drive 40 miles one way to my college on a weekend to download it off the campus's wifi. Back in the days of 3 dollar a gallon gas, to boot...

But yeah, gently caress the rural abyss that is Australia and the US, forever hosed over by telecom monopolies and lazy governments. Hopefully things get better for both of us.

Minera fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 20, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Avalerion posted:

I might be misremembering but the biggest complains against new Vegas were technical or engine related, like bugs and crashes, having to cordon of vegas itself and such. Obsidians reputation probably didn't help even though most of these problems were inerhitted from fallout 3 to begin with.

A lot of the performances were phoned in too, which hurt in the general impression. Matthew Perry was a massive Fallout zealot and overjoyed at the opportunity to be in a game he literally had to see a doctor about cos he was playing so much. Then whoompf, he gives a pathetically flat and awful performance. Things like that in such a character driven game will bite you in the rear end. New Vegas was at least really well written tho, even if the performances sometimes didn't meet that high watermark. We seem to be getting the worst of both worlds in ME:A. I'm very glad I cancelled my pre-order.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The biggest deadest launch in recent times was sots2 and x rebirth

I just wanna be in space :(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked New Vegas, but a lot of it was extremely dull and the world itself was extremely dull. I get why it got kind of a cult following but it had a heck of a lot of flaws

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Luceid posted:

its really epic that the lnp threw it all away and doubled down on coal, but i left and now i have blazing fast cable and it aint my loving problem anymore :tipshat:

your dad blazes (sucks) my cable (dick)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll never stop thinking it's funny that millionaire Matthew Perry spends all his time playing video games and not knee deep in cocaine and trim. It's like that one interview Trent Reznor gave in the late 90s where he said "If I spent as much time making music as I do playing Doom I'd have made ten followups to Downward Spiral by now"

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
well my copy shipped. i guess i hope for the best at this point, though now i want to play it to see where they hosed up and what parts were ok/salvagable, much like DA 2.

reading the reviews, it seems to me like this is almost a inverse mass effect one and like gerstman said, a direct to video bootleg. all the characters are either gender swamped versions of themselves or they are just old characters with new "twists". it doesnt help that the cool interesting plot from one is now just halo 4. but yeah, they hosed up bad, and bioware Montreal is probably hosed now.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

stop looking at my rear end and focus on my discolored neck seam
___________________________________\

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

I liked New Vegas, but a lot of it was extremely dull and the world itself was extremely dull. I get why it got kind of a cult following but it had a heck of a lot of flaws

Mostly because if you followed the donut from south to east it was a pretty good directed story with an illusion of open world choice. Heaps of bugs though yeah.

Then Fallout 4 made everything bland as poo poo so you lost interest within a few hours. Maybe a good story + bugs is better than who cares + less bugs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gosh, I'm glad I never played Halo 4. It seems like it might not be cool to keep saying Andromeda has "the same ending" because wouldn't that be inadvertent spoilers and jerk-like behavior?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plavski posted:

A lot of the performances were phoned in too, which hurt in the general impression. Matthew Perry was a massive Fallout zealot and overjoyed at the opportunity to be in a game he literally had to see a doctor about cos he was playing so much. Then whoompf, he gives a pathetically flat and awful performance. Things like that in such a character driven game will bite you in the rear end. New Vegas was at least really well written tho, even if the performances sometimes didn't meet that high watermark. We seem to be getting the worst of both worlds in ME:A. I'm very glad I cancelled my pre-order.

I just saw a video with a conversation where they talk about how OLD Drack is, since he (gasp!) remembers first contact with humans.

Like every human on the expedition who was thirty or older when the thing launched.

Everything I have seen of the writing makes me miss renegade interrupts. If only Javik was on the expedition. The airlock would see so much more use.

There's slicker flirting in Konosuba, a show where the plot revolves around the idea every one of the heroes is some combination of stupid, psychotic, and rear end in a top hat. I think it's less that the writing gets better and more your brain stops noticing how terrible it is as a defense mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I never finished Fallout 4. I got maybe halfway? I dunno

I never even met the son everyone kept talking about here on SA