Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Yeah, it's totally possible to do that with a raven, but also totally not worth it.

I run this for the 4X and it's capable of just crushing people.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=35&l=377324109ed0cf8d64dfb560abf6be9ad9faf88e

With the -30% duration and your high laser mount you can poptart with your LPLs or corner peek really well. You have to run away before anyone ever engages you in a fight because this thing runs hot as a motherfucker and can't sustain in a brawl.

Running a standard engine for deadsiding is kind of retarded because you'll be running an undersized engine that loses you two internal heatsinks, and even if you're deadsiding in your raven you also likely do not have a jumpjet. It just makes you a worse gunboat fire support light that is going to get lit up because it can't reposition, which is one of the most important things that a gunboat light has to be able to do.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
He died pretty quick and was proud of his *almost* 100 damage dealt. :v:

Sometimes I worry that maybe I'm the crazy person and maybe... nah. gently caress that guy.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

No no gently caress that guy

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Trying my new banshee in two matches so far has taught me 3 things

1) Inertia is a thing. Slowing down a 95 ton mech takes time, like slowing down a train takes time.

2) IS mechs have a different announcer than clan mechs. I just happened to only use clan mechs when I was using trial mechs so I thought the game suddenly patched in a whole new announcer that day!

3) Don't pick a fight with a direwolf. My firing lane was blocked by 3 friendly mechs so I went around a corner to flank from only to eat what felt like 20 a/c 2 shots for 3 seconds of cockpit shaking death.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Commoners posted:

Yeah, it's totally possible to do that with a raven, but also totally not worth it.

I run this for the 4X and it's capable of just crushing people.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=35&l=377324109ed0cf8d64dfb560abf6be9ad9faf88e

With the -30% duration and your high laser mount you can poptart with your LPLs or corner peek really well. You have to run away before anyone ever engages you in a fight because this thing runs hot as a motherfucker and can't sustain in a brawl.

Running a standard engine for deadsiding is kind of retarded because you'll be running an undersized engine that loses you two internal heatsinks, and even if you're deadsiding in your raven you also likely do not have a jumpjet. It just makes you a worse gunboat fire support light that is going to get lit up because it can't reposition, which is one of the most important things that a gunboat light has to be able to do.

If you strip the head armor that a raven will never need, you can put another jump jet on there. If you want to buy a stupid snowflake engine you can do this http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=35&l=f8b362c9c58df8a23075a229cc902861e1c5bec3

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
5xLPL Battlemasters are fun.

:toot:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Screenshots man. The hell with these ghetto pictures of your monitor?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Let me recap from 10+ pages ago:
1- screenshots haven't worked since forever
2- solid black is all the client sees
3- too lazy to troubleshoot
4- yo momma

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

armchairyoda posted:

He died pretty quick and was proud of his *almost* 100 damage dealt. :v:

Sometimes I worry that maybe I'm the crazy person and maybe... nah. gently caress that guy.

That build will probably make a lot more sense when light engines become available.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Even then I would probably still go with an XL on the 4X. You're really tight for tonnage, if you look at the posted builds you can see they have: Two guns, a single jumpjet, and an engine. That's it. The light engine will be heavier, and the decrease in speed will almost certainly not be worth the lack of death to a side. It's also highly likely that losing a side will confer a heat and speed penalty, just like on a clan XL engine.

This is probably going to be true for pretty much all light mechs, incidentally.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I doubt taking a Light engine in Lights will be useful at all. More likely better for brawl Heavies and Assaults.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Certain mechs like the Atlas can't take a light engine or have it be worthwhile due to slot concerns on brawling builds.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Light engines will be a godsend to brawlers, especially those that can't deadside. Mid and long range will still be better off with an xl. Standards are going to be niche use for brawlers that are slot limited or have small engine caps like the awesome.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Certain mechs like the Atlas can't take a light engine or have it be worthwhile due to slot concerns on brawling builds.

I guarantee you an Atlas can slot a Light engine and still be an effective brawler.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The biggest benefit will be in symmetrical mechs where losing half the mech loses half the firepower and heat generation. Ones with deadsides will still want to run standards, because keeping all your guns but losing 40% of your heat dissipation and most of your speed will make it so that you may as well be dead. The same thing is pretty true for mechs that depend on speed to stay alive in the first place.

Most assaults will be served pretty well with those engines, because any edge you can get in positioning as an assault is a huge thing.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 20, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Commoners posted:

The biggest benefit will be in symmetrical mechs where losing half the mech loses half the firepower and heat generation. Ones with deadsides will still want to run standards, because keeping all your guns but losing 40% of your heat dissipation and most of your speed will make it so that you may as well be dead. The same thing is pretty true for mechs that depend on speed to stay alive in the first place.

Most assaults will be served pretty well with those engines, because any edge you can get in positioning as an assault is a huge thing.

I'm picturing a hojillion Battlemasters with light engines and light ppc's. It's going to be a plague.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

Video from the second screenshot. 1080p should work once it finishes processing. Thanks goons for making the match almost exactly 5 minutes long so shadowplay got the whole thing for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62-XQho13E

If Crimson Strait didnt have terrible framerate issues constantly it would be one of the best maps.

I'm uploading our other crimson straight match. Warning: Riyott I specced you

edit: 2 gigs at 200kbs upload :negative:

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 20, 2017

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Light engine = Black Widow with quad uac5 and the ability to survive a side torso loss.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

armchairyoda posted:

There was some pubbie bragging in voice on how he managed to fit a raven with 2xLPL's and a standard engine while still hitting 97kph.

When I told him to never brag about poor life choices, he went into a rant about his dead-side shielding skillz.

:spergin:

my go-to pick every time anyone says anything on voip is to just go UHHHH KEEP THE COMMS CLEAR AND TACTICAL PLEASE in the comic book guy voice. its lazy but it works

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Luceid posted:

my go-to pick every time anyone says anything on voip is to just go UHHHH KEEP THE COMMS CLEAR AND TACTICAL PLEASE in the comic book guy voice. its lazy but it works

I would suggest going for a mix of:

COPY
ROGER
DANGER CLOSE
PERMISSION TO SPEAK?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

I'm uploading our other crimson straight match. Warning: Riyott I specced you

:ohdear:

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
86 loving bags and still no god drat free banshee.

:smithicide:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Major Spag posted:

86 loving bags and still no god drat free banshee.

:smithicide:

These events are just maddening like that.

For a year and a half I never got one. THen the halloween one I got that stupid Krampus cockpit hanger, and after 12 matches in this one I got the banshee. . .

. . . which I kind of don't like. It feels like a slower, fatter, lower mount battlemaster.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I got enough standing Irish flags that I can probably build a mech out of them by now.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I'll donate my bonsai trees to your robot effort. Although the heat dissipation is only 1.41 instead of the 2.04211238:batsymbol:232149 of the flags.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

I'm picturing a hojillion Battlemasters with light engines and light ppc's. It's going to be :iamafag:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Rysithusiku posted:

Light engine = Black Widow with quad uac5 and the ability to survive a side torso loss.

And incredibly loving slow.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

These events are just maddening like that.

For a year and a half I never got one. THen the halloween one I got that stupid Krampus cockpit hanger, and after 12 matches in this one I got the banshee. . .

. . . which I kind of don't like. It feels like a slower, fatter, lower mount battlemaster.

Between the battlemaster and the slow murder of the concept of brawling the banshee hasn't been top dog for a long time.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is the Marauder IIC still a good Mech? If so, which version should I go for?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah it's good. Wait for it to be on sale for cbills though.

For cash money scorch is good. The A is basically the Mad 3R on steroids and is also good. The prime is OK and can be a mean laserboat.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Cool, thank you. How do i play this game with goons?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

Cool, thank you. How do i play this game with goons?

I'll PM you the mumble info. We usually play in the evening.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The best parts of Crimson Sea are actually the buildings to the east - I went away for a a beer and forgot about the game and came back two minutes in. Watch for the guy nuking two of his own team with an airstrike...

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, I really, really enjoy urban fights in this game. I think they're really cool, especially when you have guys mixing it up with jumpjets.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The game really needs dense urban maps. I wouldn't call what we have now in Crimson or River as "urban" as much as it is an obstacle course. The fights rarely happen between the buildings, and when they do it's mainly between lights.

Not saying that isn't fun or exciting, because you're totally right about enjoyment when it happens. It just only ever happens under specific circumstances.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Definitely the funnest part of the game, weaving in and out of the streets hunting and being hunted in small urban fights. The back areas of River, most of old Frozen, and the sides of Crimson.

Shame PGI disagrees very strongly with me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
But that would cut in on the ability for pussies to sit 800 meters in assaults and never share armor.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Yeah that would decrease the concentration of sniper shitfest so that will never happen.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
Didn't PGI, at one point, claim that building dense maps would be too much for the engine to handle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It might be too much for their level designers to handle, I dunno. Let me tell you though, building a dense map is waaaaay more work than building a sparse one.

• Locked thread