Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

My problem with S&S was that it just copied pretty much everything from Dark Souls without wondering wether they would work in 2D or not. Not having a map and constantly getting sniped from multiple directions got old quick.

The lack of a map is one of the most baffling decisions in the game's design, and to this day I'm honestly not sure if I find it brilliant or stupid. I don't think the level design is so cohesive and well-designed so as to NOT benefit from the presence of a Metroid-style map, and I'd also agree that it's flaws tend to be more where it tries to do Dark Souls without considering all the downsides.

quote:

Momodora came out on PS4 just recently and that does a much better job of taking bits from DS they liked and applying them to a 2D exploration game.

I have put a few hours into this and my impressions are mixed, but positive. I think death is really, really punishing, and I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to exploring because I inevitably miss all of the loving checkpoints and end up getting stuck on some far corner of the map, lost and alone and out of healing items.

That's actually a DS trope I think works poorly for Momodora. Enemies hit so hard that you die in a few hits--but your health item recovers only a fraction of your health bar, so one hit is really loving punishing. With as many enemies as they throw at you, with really effective ranged attacks, it feels brutally punishing to go anywhere. Metroid at least drops health packs for you when you kill bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Freak Futanari posted:

I hope it's a while, i'd be sorta mad if i lost access to all the PS3 games i've bought on PSN

Between PSNow and the fact that the PSP can still work with purchases doesn't worry me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm pretty sure Sony would have to not exist as a company any more before they started taking entire platforms worth of stuff down off PSN.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm pretty sure Sony would have to not exist as a company any more before they started taking entire platforms worth of stuff down off PSN.

They did for their "mobile" stuff, but to be fair that was never a huge thing that people had more than a few bucks invested in.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

They also have precedent for deleting things entirely : see PT and being unable to download it from servers even if it's in your account. Compare to say steam and a game like Blur, maybe even Microsoft and a game like Scott Pilgrim.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shadow225 posted:

They also have precedent for deleting things entirely : see PT and being unable to download it from servers even if it's in your account. Compare to say steam and a game like Blur, maybe even Microsoft and a game like Scott Pilgrim.

That was all on Konami and it wasn't as if it was paid content.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bioshock collection won the vote. It's half off this weekend.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah PT is a precedent in its the only game that has ever happened to, i don't think it's likely to happen again. the fact that you can still download psp games means i'd be stunned if you could no longer download ps3 games anytime remotely soon

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah. Some games have been delisted, and it IS an absolute pain to track them down in your download list manually if needed, but if you purchased a game which then later got delisted, it can still be downloaded and used by the owning account, and I'm fairly certain this is true for at least Wii, PSP, PS3, Xbox 360 and any systems more recent than that, with P.T. being the only exception; it persists on download lists (allegedly the PSN is structured in such a way that it's impossible to remove a free thing from a download list) but it technically 404's when a download is attempted, as the source file got hard-removed from the server. It was very much exceptional circumstances, including the fact that it was 100% free.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It was a Konami decision anyways, right? Sony themselves didn't remove it just because.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Incidentally, the fact that their method for getting rid of PT was just straight-up deleting the actual .pkg file from the server means it's trivial to re-download PT as long as it's in your library.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Freak Futanari posted:

I hope it's a while, i'd be sorta mad if i lost access to all the PS3 games i've bought on PSN

I highly doubt they'll ever take the PS3 server down for precisely that reason. They might disable new purchases but it seems unlikely that they'll take away the ability to redownload things you've already purchased. People don't generally need to redownload stuff very often so it wouldn't cost them much to leave the server up. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they're already piggybacking PS3 stuff on the PS4 servers.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

univbee posted:

Yeah. Some games have been delisted, and it IS an absolute pain to track them down in your download list manually if needed, but if you purchased a game which then later got delisted, it can still be downloaded and used by the owning account, and I'm fairly certain this is true for at least Wii, PSP, PS3, Xbox 360 and any systems more recent than that, with P.T. being the only exception; it persists on download lists (allegedly the PSN is structured in such a way that it's impossible to remove a free thing from a download list) but it technically 404's when a download is attempted, as the source file got hard-removed from the server. It was very much exceptional circumstances, including the fact that it was 100% free.

Yeah, besides PT, they have pulled a few games from the servers. It's mostly things like when the licensing switches from one company to another. Then it's on the new license holder to decide whether they want to put the game back on the PSN or not. That's what happened to most Konami games when they got out of the video game business.

And then there are some extreme instances like the Outrun PSN game, that was only available in Europe for some reason. Sega pulled it from the PSN after a few years because their license with Ferrari ran out and they decided not to renew it. But I'm pretty sure that people who have already bought it can still redownload it. And Catan was pulled because the publisher went out of business. I'm very glad I pulled the trigger on Catan on its release date.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Incidentally, the fact that their method for getting rid of PT was just straight-up deleting the actual .pkg file from the server means it's trivial to re-download PT as long as it's in your library.

That's not true at all and it's the only game/demo I'm aware of that you absolutely cannot redownload even if it's already in your download list. That's why people are selling used PS4s with PT on them for thousands of dollars.

A few years ago someone figured out a very complex workaround for that (which only works if PT is already in your download list) that involves setting up a proxy on a PC. It's been a few years, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has figured out a way to stop that from working.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

...! posted:

That's not true at all and it's the only game/demo I'm aware of that you absolutely cannot redownload even if it's already in your download list. That's why people are selling used PS4s with PT on them for thousands of dollars.

Someone figured out how to do it with a proxy awhile back:

http://wololo.net/2016/04/10/how-to-redownload-p-t-silent-hills/

Works as of Feb. 15th if the comments can be believed. You obviously have to have already had it in your library.

edit: I should read the whole post, hah. But yeah, this is the pkg thing he was talking about.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 18, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
So what you're saying is I can do that and sell my PS4 for like A MILLION dollars?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have an Anniversary PS4 with 3 copies of P.T., one from every region.

Bill Gates and Rupert Murdoch are negotiating each going halfsies on it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

So what you're saying is I can do that and sell my PS4 for like A MILLION dollars?

im pretty sure someone here sold theirs for like a grand back when people cared about it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I sold my PS4 with PT on it for €69

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I sold my PS4 with PT on it for €69

Meth is a hell of a drug.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

...! posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony has figured out a way to stop that from working.

No see, that's the thing - you just set up a proxy that redirects the traffic from your PS4 to a mirror of the PT files. Since it's still in your download list (remember, all they did was delete the actual game on their own servers and delist it from the store), it receives exactly the files it's expecting and the game installs without issue.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

No see, that's the thing - you just set up a proxy that redirects the traffic from your PS4 to a mirror of the PT files. Since it's still in your download list (remember, all they did was delete the actual game on their own servers and delist it from the store), it receives exactly the files it's expecting and the game installs without issue.

Ah, I didn't realize it was a mirror. That makes sense. It would only stop working if the mirror is taken down.

Shows what I know...

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

...! posted:

Ah, I didn't realize it was a mirror. That makes sense. It would only stop working if the mirror is taken down.

Shows what I know...

Extreme case, you set up a local webserver, put the files on there, and just redirect to that. Short of Sony forcibly removing it from everyone's libraries, (or every backup of the .pkg files spontaneously combusting), PT's pretty safely archived.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Extreme case, you set up a local webserver, put the files on there, and just redirect to that. Short of Sony forcibly removing it from everyone's libraries, (or every backup of the .pkg files spontaneously combusting), PT's pretty safely archived.

Yeah, that's pretty much true. If the mirror goes down, someone would just put up another one. Good thing someone here yelled a lot at me to put PT into my download list before it was too late. I did so the day before they pulled it even though I didn't have a PS4 at the time. Gonna download it soon.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Has Mass Effect started to preload for anyone yet? Does that normally happen at a certain time?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
It preloaded on Saturday for me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Obsurveyor posted:

Someone figured out how to do it with a proxy awhile back:

http://wololo.net/2016/04/10/how-to-redownload-p-t-silent-hills/

Works as of Feb. 15th if the comments can be believed. You obviously have to have already had it in your library.

edit: I should read the whole post, hah. But yeah, this is the pkg thing he was talking about.

Sick, this still works. Thanks!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

It preloaded on Saturday for me.

The first tome i did a preload i had to set it to download but after that it does it on its own idk

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Has Mass Effect started to preload for anyone yet? Does that normally happen at a certain time?

I was having issues with it, and even going into my library there was no download option. What I ended up having to do was to use the "Search" option in the library to find it, and then there was a download option. Apparently this is a problem with the latest update, because this isn't the first game I've had this issue with and it seems to be fairly common on reddit.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What is included in the Arkham Knight season pass? The store entry doesn't actually mention it. Alternatively, is it worth 10 bucks of the game is already on my shelf?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Shadow225 posted:

What is included in the Arkham Knight season pass? The store entry doesn't actually mention it. Alternatively, is it worth 10 bucks of the game is already on my shelf?

you get the VERY short story DLCs, like a few catwoman, bat girl and I think catwoman things. Those are all about 15 min each. You also get a huge poo poo ton of loving batmobile races and some of challenge mode fight things. It's incredibly bad.

AK season pass broke me from buying Season Passes. It was the worst DLC thing I've ever spent money on bar none. $10 isn't as bad as $30 or whatever dumb poo poo I paid, but still I'd argue it's not worth it just to not give WB the money for that bullshit.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Shadow225 posted:

The only thing really worthwhile in batman dlc was season of infamy. Decent amount of content that slots itself into the main story.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Wasn't the season pass hilariously 50 dollars at launch?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Drop for the week and holy poo poo is it loaded:

88 Heroes PS4 — Digital (Out 3/24)
It’s 8:08 AM on August 8, 1988, and the evil Dr. H8 has brought the world to the brink of total annihilation! His demands are simple: pay $88 octillion within 88 minutes, or Dr. H8’s 88 thermo-nuclear warheads will wipe out the Earth! But who will save us in our time of need? The bravest? The boldest? No… the 88 Heroes!

Death Tales PS4 — Digital
As a Reaper, retrieve the spirits of the dying to protect them from the forces of the Soulless. Collect cards to gain powerful attacks, embark on quests for a cast of quirky characters, and make difficult choices in a richly illustrated 2D world filled with darkness and whimsy. Play alone or join with a friend in co-op and serve Death together!

Everything PS4 — Digital
Everything is an interactive experience where everything you see is a thing you can be, from animals to planets to galaxies and beyond. Travel between outer and inner space, and explore a vast, interconnected universe of things without enforced goals, scores, or tasks to complete. Everything will give you a new perspective on life.

Freedom Planet PS4 — Digital
Fight your way across the celestial world of Avalice where cats are green, motorcycles drive up walls, and monster girls do most of the buttkicking! Freedom Planet is a cartoony, combat-based platform adventure that pits a spunky dragonoid and her friends against an alien attack force.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PS4 — Digital, Retail
Mass Effect: Andromeda takes players to the Andromeda galaxy, far beyond the Milky Way. There, players will lead our fight for a new home in hostile territory as the Pathfinder — a leader of military-trained explorers. This is the story of humanity’s next chapter, and player choices throughout the game will ultimately determine our survival.

Rayon Riddles – Rise of the Goblin King PS4 — Digital
The Goblins have been displaced and enslaved. It’s up to you to help them flee from the Orcs and return to their homeland. Solve puzzles and escape Orcs, Trolls, and other creatures on an exciting and funny journey full of surprises.

Royal Defense PS4 — Digital
The castle needs a hero as hordes of trolls are surrounding it! Build towers, save money, learn spells, and keep the enemy away!

This is the Police
PS4 — Digital, Retail (Out 3/22)
This Is the Police is a strategy/adventure game set in a city spiraling the drain. Taking the role of gritty Police Chief Jack Boyd, you’ll dive into a deep story of crime and intrigue. Will Jack reach his retirement with a nice stack of bills, or will he end up broken… or worse?

Touhou Double Focus PS4, PS Vita — Digital
After getting sucked into a magical book, Aya and Momiji must find their way back home. Swap between the two girls in battle, so you can utilize their abilities to gain the advantage. Explore every nook and cranny to unravel the mystery of the Book World!

Touhou Genso Wanderer PS4, PS Vita — Digital (PS4 at Retail)
Take control of Reimu, the Hakurei Shrine Maiden, and investigate the latest incident to take place in the world of Gensokyo in this roguelike RPG.

Toukiden 2 PS4, PS Vita — Digital, Retail
Slayers! Go forth and eradicate the Oni menace! Experience the latest hunting action game featuring a dynamic targeted destruction system. From the battlefield to the village that serves as your base of operations, the game takes place in a vast “open world.” Explore the vast world for yourself, and enjoy hunting action from an entirely new perspective.

Troll & I PS4 — Digital, Retail
Deep in the Nordic wilderness, a teenage boy named Otto is forced to flee his home after a band of brutal hunters rip through his village in search of a mythical creature rumored to inhabit the forest. Now on the run for his life, Otto inadvertently finds and befriends the elusive creature being sought by the hunters. Thus begins the perilous adventure of Troll and Otto.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games PS4, PS Vita — Digital, Retail (Out 3/24)
Two Nonary Games, two sets of nine unwilling participants kidnapped to an unfamiliar location. One set trapped on a sinking boat with nine hours to escape, the other locked in a facility and forced to either trust or betray each other. If they break the rules or fail to escape… they’ll die.

Man, I didn't even know that Freedom Planet was coming to the PS4. Plus some other stuff (Everything and 88 Heroes) have potential and also, Mass Effect I guess. Also, there's pretty much guaranteed to be a flash sale this weekend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I find anything that uses the number 88 that much suspicious

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Toukiden 2 releases this week?
Awesome. that's prefect timing

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

It's by the people that made Super House of Undead Ninja and that game loving ruled.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIIWJ5q3NVo

E: gently caress wait that's only 8 not 88

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Two Touhou games? RIP wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

I bought it (game + season pass). It looks like it includes all the available DLC on the store. I didn't see anything that still costs money after buying it anyway anyway