Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hey addict goon, I've been through a lot of that same stuff and have been clean for over 10 years now. If you need/want to talk PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

Same^

Anyone that needs to talk about addiction can PM me whenever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
heroin goons, the way to make yourself feel better is with more heroin

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

You're so edgy, watch you don't cut yourself.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey addict goon, I've been through a lot of that same stuff and have been clean for over 10 years now. If you need/want to talk PM me.

Thirding this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jose posted:

Can't argue with that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can't argue with that.

it'll make everyone else feel better too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm 31 years old and I seem to be slowly losing my memory and it's screwing up my life.

It started out as normal things I think everyone experiences, like when you go in the kitchen and can't remember why you got up, can't remember where you put your keys, etc. More recently it is getting more frequent and annoying. I will be in a conversation with someone and I'll have the sudden realization that I can't remember who this person is or what we've been talking about. It happens with texts/online chats too (or even SA posts for that matter) - I'll see them and know they must have happened, but I will have no or very little memory of it happening. I'm also starting to temporarily (for now) forget the names for things. The other day I tried to ask someone at work for a napkin but when I got to that word I just couldn't think of what it was called.

That kind of stuff is more on the minor annoyance level, but I've been forgetting conversations with my boss too. We've been getting in a lot of arguments when he finds out I didn't do something and I'll swear up and down that he never told me to do it, only to find out later that I had taken notes to do it or have an email record showing that I read it.

I don't want to go to a doctor because these kinds of things seem to be degenerative and I'm scared to find out that I'm going to be one of those husk people you see at nursing homes that have advanced alzheimers and can't remember anything, only if things don't slow down I'll be like 30 years younger than them. I realize this is stupid and there are some treatments but if I get diagnosed with something bad like that I feel like my career will be over once they find out.

Then you better get treatment sooner than later. I doubt they care about the diagnosis as much as they care about the symptoms, and it sounds like people are already finding out about those. Go to a doctor.

quote:

My confession that I can't make in the current political climate non-anonymously is that I am what most people would refer to as a "fascist". I truly believe that the United States needs someone with absolute power to turn us around before it's too late. The Senate/House do nothing but throw tantrums and slow the president, and thus progress, down just to try to make a point. There should not be opposing parties. We are one country, there should be only one allowable position: 100% support.

The annoying thing is people lump me in with Trump supporters and Nazis. Trump is an idiot and even with dictatorial power he would destroy the country. We need someone smart and pragmatic, someone who won't sabotage themselves like Hitler did and turn the world against us. I do believe that something has to be done with the many millions of naive liberals who go around saying idiotic things like "bash the fash", which is definitely a complex problem to solve. They can't be killed, otherwise other nations would try to stop us, but I do believe most of them could be re-educated, and if not, relocated to another country where they are tolerated. The bottom line is the USA needs to unite and dispose of the people, institutions and laws that are dragging us down.

My secondary related confession is that I truly don't understand why this kind of thing can't be discussed in a calm rational manner...once someone even suspects you're a "fascist" they just start screeching about nazis and punching you in the face. Yes many dictatorships in the past have failed, but that doesn't mean they all will. We just need one that is a true patriot and will do what is good for the people (at least, the faithful ones), not a power-tripping corrupt fool.

Opposing political parties are good until one of them goes full demagogue and decides laws don't apply to it anymore and policies that help people are less important than scoring political points. And benevolent dictators are good in theory until they turn out to be, well, the kind of person who'd be a dictator. Anyone who actively seeks out that kind of power is necessarily a pathological narcissist or worse. And even if communism is based on solid ideals, once it puts a Stalin in power, he's not giving it up without a fight. That's why democracy even exists, so incompetent leaders can be removed from power without a violent revolution.

If I might wax pretentious for a second: there are some superficial similarities between our current situation and the end of the Roman Republic. Julius Caesar, while not a raving manchild, was an authoritarian strongman who was beloved by The People (because he had killed a lot of foreigners); the Senate at the time was thoroughly devoted to the lofty principles of democracy but also focused on the interests of the rich and powerful a bit more than they probably should have. But the same system that brought Rome Augustus and Marcus Aurelius also brought it Caligula and Nero, and America's culture right now is much, much closer to Caligula's Rome than it is to Augustus' Rome. Authoritarianism is risky as poo poo, and thank God it can't take root in this country without a moderate-to-severe civil war, because you know which kind of person would love to be emperor of 21st-century America? The Donald Trump kind of person.

"'It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.' -Winston Churchill" - Civilization 4

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Early onset Alzheimer's goon:

loquacius posted:

Go to a doctor.

That is, if you remember writing that confession :ohdear:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I thought early 50s was considered very early for alzheimers, I never heard of a case in someone in their 30s. But doing some quick googling seems to suggest it's not unheard of. Anyway definitely go to a doctor, it's almost definitely going to suck but it will suck much worse if you let it keep developing unimpeded.

Fascist goon, everyone that says things like that seems to think "intelligent reasonable discussion" means "I get to talk about how much I hate the jews/blacks/poors unopposed". If you ever actually tried to honestly debate stuff like that with an open mind, you'd probably find out that your views are ridiculously wrong pretty fast. People like that never do though, which is why most intelligent people don't waste time trying to reason with you.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Fascism is a valid form of government to discuss as a political theory. However, the discussion has been done to death, and the general consensus is that it is not viable without committing violations against citizens that are unconscionable to most normal people. Even if you are on the right side of the party for now, you may not always be, and being able to oppose your government without fearing for your life is a good option to have.

Given that, the conclusion is that anyone who seriously espouses fascism as an option is either some kind of nazi or other hateful group, or is grossly and dangerously naive. This is why people have such a bad reaction when you try to discuss it, confessor. And from the things that you mentioned, i.e., deporting people that don't agree with your specific political views, you seem to be a little bit of both. So in conclusion maybe try some tolerance of people you disagree with instead of being an absolutist idiot.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Memory goon, do you smoke weed? I used to smoke shittons and my memory got a lot worse over the years comparable to what you just described. Once I stopped smoking my memory got much better as a result.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Memoryloss goon: Are you a heavy weed user? Weed destroys your memory if you use a lot for a long time. Otherwise: doctor.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm going to go for the long shot and bet on CJD for memory goon. Do you eat a lot of British beef?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Fascist goon, you should abandon your bullshit ideology that literally completely reverses all civic values of the united states. If you're going to advocate for the removing of undesirables you should be aware that the sword cuts both ways.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
PS get punched

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Fascist goon, you should abandon your bullshit ideology that literally completely reverses all civic values of the united states. If you're going to advocate for the removing of undesirables you should be aware that the sword cuts both ways.

"In a real fourth reich, you'd be the first to go" -- visionary poet Jello Biafra, in his magnum opus "Nazi Punks gently caress Off!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

loquacius posted:

"In a real fourth reich, you'd be the first to go" -- visionary poet Jello Biafra, in his magnum opus "Nazi Punks gently caress Off!"

Yeah there's that too. Blind loyalty to the regime, at least as far as the Nazis went, wasn't enough to keep you safe. You could be their most loyal sycophant for years but if they find out maybe you posted a facebook post from a decade ago that could be interpreted as supporting obama one time or something like that and you'd instantly be just as screwed as the "liberals" you hate so much.

e: plus if they were actual nazis you'd have to worry about the physical fitness/genetics aspect of it and goons don't score too well in those categories typically.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Memory loss goon, please go to a doctor. I was having severe memory issues and was melting down over how nuts I was. Turns out I was schizophrenic, so I was pretty nuts. But I'm getting treated for it. It sucks, but I was in a far worse place before and would have only gotten worse had I not gone to the docs.
Like I'd be the person on the bus talking about Cheese Jesus.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
We're all pasty enough. We should be fine.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gloryhold It! posted:

Like I'd be the person on the bus talking about Cheese Jesus.

Praise Him!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I agree with fascist goon. I would gladly submit to an Empire and be a stormtrooper if it meant not having to work at a goddamn dry cleaner and read fake confessions about hard drugs. Heroin is...bad?

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
:qq: People in the USA, living in the year 2017, won't listen to my fascist rants about "disposing" of the "unfaithful", why are these people so unreasonable??

I hope I'm gettin' trolled because drat, son.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

:qq: People in the USA, living in the year 2017, won't listen to my fascist rants about "disposing" of the "unfaithful", why are these people so unreasonable??

I hope I'm gettin' trolled because drat, son.

It was a pretty believable piece from the viewpoint of a pseudo-intellectual with a higher opinion of his own intelligence than he should probably have, and lord knows the Internet is full of those. Which is why my response was a really pretentious-sounding high-school-level ancient history analogy. I figured that would resonate.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Cheese is Christ!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I figured if we are supposed to take these in good faith then going after that part of the confession is just saying, "This is obviously fake."
Inferring that is on you, I just thought it was funny

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'd vote for Dictator Bernie Sanders

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chlamyllionaire posted:

Cheese is Christ!

Can we not do this? I camembert it.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

sout posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't work with people who do do that.

Haha you said dodo, like Kaka or poopoo hahah

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The fascist fesh also shows something that pisses me off. People always assume THEY will be on the right side, that THEY won't be the undesirables, or THEY'll be given a spot at the table to help steer policy. In actuality that is very rarely the case. People also love assuming they are the main character and hero in their own story. Ask someone that believes this what they would be doing in the any other era or place in history. They'll tell you how brave and important they'll be when more often than not they'll be "random ditch digger #4154" or "random casualty from a bandit raid."

Otherwise fascist goon if you truly believe what you are saying be the change you want to see in the world. Create a political party that will overtake all others and install itself in absolute power. If that doesn't happen I guess you truly were not part of the master race and are just another random piece of poo poo like everyone else.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 20, 2017

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

This is a really boring fesh.

I badly want a grimdark remake of the Harry Potter movies. All 7 books, from the start, as grim as the books actually are. The ridiculously unsafe school. The creepy paternalism of Dumbledore that repeatedly leads Harry & co into mortal danger. Whatever madness hormonal teens would get up to with engorgement charms and body-binding curses.

I'm sure there's a fanfiction out there for you somewhere

An update from the guy with the homeless friend:

quote:

Well, to begin, I took the advice from the thread and stuck to my guns. Bill's kid was not invited. We got around it a couple times by simply not seeing Bill, but eventually he forced my hand by asking what was up. I laid it out for him, and threatened to call CPS if he wasn't able to figure this poo poo out. Bill got angry, we argued, he threw a punch and I tossed him out. We didn't fight, just scuffled for a second​.

I didn't hear from Bill until last week, when I got a call from his brother. Bill, on the night of our argument, got completely blitzed and drove to his ex's new boyfriend's house. Bill hammered on their door around 2am. He tried to throw down with the boyfriend, and then when the cops showed up, tried to throw down with them. He got tasered and thrown into the drunk tank. He was charged with assaulting an officer or whatever but apparently plead down to something lower? His brother didn't have all the details. Bill hasn't been able to make bail and had spent a bit in jail. While he was in jail, his ex started turning the wheels to get the custody agreement changed.

When Bill got out, he got pulled into a hearing that happened in early March. There it finally came out that he was sleeping with his son in a van. The judge awarded the ex full custody, and told Bill to get his poo poo in order and they'd reassess in 6 months. Instead of taking that opportunity to heart, Bill has just been spending what little money he has on booze and leaving nasty, threatening voicemails for his ex. Bill's brother had called me because he's understandably really worried and wanted to ask if I could help talk to Bill. I just told him that Bill had turned into a real piece of poo poo and I wanted nothing to do with him and hung up. So that's it. I'll update again if Bill gets a felony conviction or kills himself or something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

The fascist fesh also shows something that pisses me off. People always assume THEY will be on the right side, that THEY won't be the undesirables, or THEY'll be given a spot at the table to help steer policy. In actuality that is very rarely the case. People also love assuming they are the main character and hero in their own story. Ask someone that believes this what they would be doing in the any other era or place in history. They'll tell you how brave and important they'll be when more often than not they'll be "random ditch digger #4154" or "random casualty from a bandit raid."

Otherwise fascist goon if you truly believe what you are saying be the change you want to see in the world. Create a political party that will overtake all others and install itself in absolute power. If that doesn't happen I guess you truly were not part of the master race and are just another random piece of poo poo like everyone else.

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/843491453129150465?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

loquacius posted:

I've been having (I guess) a mini exesintal crisis, about how loving lucky I am to even exist and how lucky I am to even write this dumb thing

First the formation of the universe, then the formation of Earth took time that is incomprehensible to me, how life was able to survive, how my species came to be from a protozoa, how everything thing evolved to humans

Every single of one of my ancestors managed to make it, through hunger, war, disease and whatever

The extremely small chance the one single sperm from all my ancestors made it, I feel like a second or the very slightest change in absolutely anything could have meant a different sperm making it

The same with my father, I feel like even a second could have changed me not being here

I had some complications being born, medicine where it is may have saved me,and how I was born in a first world with no food or other issues

It's crazy to me and I've obsessed over it recently

You're looking at this the wrong way, existential goon. The universe and all these variables could not have existed any other way, or else you wouldn't be there to notice.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hardawn posted:

Haha you said dodo, like Kaka or poopoo hahah

Oh darn!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Gimbal lock posted:

You're looking at this the wrong way, existential goon. The universe and all these variables could not have existed any other way, or else you wouldn't be there to notice.

This is the renowned "Anthropic Principle".

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Gimbal lock posted:

whoa :2bong:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Gimbal lock posted:

true, if hosed up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm in a really bad place right now due to my addiction and heroin goon helped inspire me to send this in. I hope writing it down will help me clear my head and get on the right track.

I have a good job right now and could easily be living in a nice apartment or be a few years into a mortgage on a good house. But I'm not, I live with my parents in the same bedroom I grew up in. I drive a piece of poo poo car which I make the minimum payments on, and sometimes I miss a payment. I have barely made a dent on my student loans and could probably have paid those off by now if I really focused on it. I also have no savings account to speak of, no investments, and do not contribute to my 401(k). I know this is bad but I would rather feel the thrill of my addiction and spend all my money on that. My parents are enablers, and I know that and they know it, but we all refuse to change because change is loving TERRIFYING when you've been living in stasis for almost a decade. And it probably doesn't help that I'm a piece of poo poo son who yells and screams and throws tantrums when his own parents try to convince him to clean his act up.

I am addicted to gambling and it's time for me to finally fix this poo poo and stop now.

quote:

My husband and I both started going to the gym once we hit 30. We didn't have any delusions of getting super fit, we just wanted to stay in decent shape and get off the couch a bit more.

My husband and I were on slightly different work schedules, so he started going to the gym a bit before me, which eventually led to him having a personal training session for an hour before I hit the gym. As the weeks went on I noticed my husband's energy and mood seemed to improve tremendously. However, if I tried to initiate sex he'd shy away and say his muscles hurt or he was exhausted from working out. I started fearing the worst - that he was cheating on me.

The next time we went to the gym I asked about his personal trainer and was relieved - it was a guy named Corey, and Corey even introduced himself to me. I admitted to my husband later I was jealous and convinced he had a cute young trainer that he was cheating with. My husband laughed it off and we went to bed. While we were sitting in the dark waiting to fall asleep he said "Corey's not a bad looking guy though, really" - which should have been a huge red flag to me, but I just laughed at the time.

My husband started spending more time at the gym - culminating in him forgetting about our anniversary dinner and spending it in a training session. We fought and I told him things needed to change, and for a while they did.

One day I got off work early and planned to surprise my husband at home. I got there and found another vehicle in the parking lot. My blood ran cold as I entered the door. I found my husband and Corey, making love, in the bathtub. I'll never forget it because my husband made eye contact with me, then awkwardly looked away, like he expected me to just leave.

That was the beginning of the end of my marriage and the worst day of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

What a great batch, a little something for everyone in those two