Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Infinitum posted:

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/843658507719127040

Seiken Densetsu 3 on the Switch? :syoon:

Fingers crossed we'll finally get an official English localised release as well.

Please port Secret of Mana as well :swoon:

Is this the one they had on the game boy called the final fantasy adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/842242404434481152

No date, but confirmation that it's also getting a retail release here.

If you really want it, it's fairly trivial to set up an NA account and get it off the eShop.

I don't want multiple accounts. I know that sounds weird, but I just want everything safe under the one place.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux is actually right on this one, Splatoon is very good but also should have had more maps at launch, it's not a controversial statement to say this and you don't need to spend pages arguing about it and attacking strawman versions of other (good) FPS games.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

VideoGames posted:

Five good maps is always better than 20 mediocre maps.
I don't see the problem of releasing a good game with good quality maps (despite it not being as many as an established series) if the levels being played on are good.

Rocket League only had 1 map at launch. Turns out people will gladly play in the same box over and over again for hours if it's actually fun to do so!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Is this the one they had on the game boy called the final fantasy adventure?

Final Fantasy Adventure is Seiken Densetsu 1

SD1 = FF Adventure
SD2 = Secret of Mana
SD3 = SD3 (It never got a Western release. Fan patch is the only way to play)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Stux is actually right on this one, Splatoon is very good but also should have had more maps at launch, it's not a controversial statement to say this and you don't need to spend pages arguing about it and attacking strawman versions of other (good) FPS games.

You statement contradicts itself. It would have been seen as bad if it didn't have enough maps. It was good because it had a small amount of tight maps as well as the replayability of them. That's why people are discussing why it's necessary to have lots and lots of something just for the sake of it. They're not strawman arguments either.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They trickled out the maps at launch because it was a brand new concept, so may as well slowly introduce players to the maps so they actually enjoy playing rather than run around 10 maps at launch not knowing where poo poo is.

Rounds are only 5min, so it would be very confusing for some players if the maps constantly rotated and they had no idea what they're doing or where they're going.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Fingers crossed we'll finally get an official English localised release as well.

What the gently caress? Please don't "port" anything! Please be a demonstration of the soon-to-be-released virtual console!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

WRONG.

Splatoon's rollout was certainly controversial. I, for example, think it was good. At the least, it didn't hinder it becoming one of the system's best sellers, so it must not have been too bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wendell posted:

What the gently caress? Please don't "port" anything! Please be a demonstration of the soon-to-be-released virtual console!

With virtual console, Nintendo handles it all and when they want a third party game they approach that third party. If they have no interest in a particular game from a third party it just never comes out. I would not be against third parties publishing their own ports of their catalogue whenever they want.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

VideoGames posted:

You statement contradicts itself. It would have been seen as bad if it didn't have enough maps. It was good because it had a small amount of tight maps as well as the replayability of them. That's why people are discussing why it's necessary to have lots and lots of something just for the sake of it. They're not strawman arguments either.

Cmon dude, you know better than this.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

parallelodad posted:

With virtual console, Nintendo handles it all and when they want a third party game they approach that third party. If they have no interest in a particular game from a third party it just never comes out. I would not be against third parties publishing their own ports of their catalogue whenever they want.

There's still hope though that this time the virtual console will just have everything they can possibly get! The dream is alive.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wendell posted:

There's still hope though that this time the virtual console will just have everything they can possibly get! The dream is alive.

No there isn't, come on.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

parallelodad posted:

This.

For better or worse, Square has been porting their old poo poo to cell phones for a while now. Sometimes it works out ok like FF7, other times it's impossible to play like Secret of Mana using a touch screen. Then you get poo poo like FF6 where they overhauled the graphics and it ends up looking like a kid did it in Flash.

I'm hoping that Nintendo can convince them to VC release their back catalogue, but it's more likely that they sell these ports instead.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i hope splatoon 2 launches with only one map so i can practice it for months

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lmao at the notion of SD3 coming out in English in 2017. That series is unbelievably dead.

Stick to petitioning Mother 3.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Infinitum posted:

https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/843658507719127040

I would pay a dumb amount of money for this as long as they don't gently caress it up like they did with the iOS FF ports

re: Splatoon 2 all I want is to be able to choose my game mode. I know they had to have a rotation to ensure that there would always be matchups if the game flopped, but I think they don't really have to worry about that now that the first one proved it can be a system mover.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Cmon dude, you know better than this.

Better than what? I am absolutely confused here. Splatoon was received well by all WiiU users and most reviewers. It has an attach rate of about 40%. If the lack of maps was an issue, it wouldn't have been so popular.

There are only five levels in L4D and that was so popular they made a sequel to it. Splatoon also constantly updated and had a version of single player for getting used to the controls. I don't get why only have five maps is such a sticking point when it didn't affect the quality.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

not a single god drat post about the single player, either.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Splatoon's SP final level was one of the best video game experiences in years.

It was dope as fuuuuckkkkk

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

VideoGames posted:

NBA Jam Tournament Edition please. That would be a neat portable sports game.

I used to play this at university with my friend, we'd emulate it and play with xbox controllers on a laptop.

It would be the perfect sit down and play in kickstand mode with a joycon each. Only needs a joystick and three face buttons!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Haha holy gently caress they just confirmed that Retro is being rolled in with Camelot to work on the mario sports games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who is they.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jimmy Hats posted:

Haha holy gently caress they just confirmed that Retro is being rolled in with Camelot to work on the mario sports games

Who what when where?

If you're talking Mario Sports Superstars, that's out already. (In good countries)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

sounds like a blast... ball

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Who is they.

Somebody that needs to be put to work making a whole host of better games/sequels than Mario Sports.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Studios

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No I mean who announced this and where. If you're going to post something like that you should have a link to the article.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Camelot is a swell company that puts out groovy music

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

The Switch needs a new Mario Tennis game and/or Mario Tennis N64 ASAP thanks in advance Reggie.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

just make the baseball game called Switch Hitters this isn't hard.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

VideoGames posted:

Why are you guys comparing Splatoon to COD or Battlefield?
Splatoon is a third person shooter where you shoot the arena. They're different games.

Oh so it's an arena shooter like quake 3?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jimmy Hats posted:

Metroid Strikers confirmed

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Earth Table posted:

The Switch needs a new Mario Tennis game and/or Mario Tennis N64 ASAP thanks in advance Reggie.

You mean like that overpriced Mario Tennis game they put out for the WiiU?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phantasium posted:

just make the baseball game called Switch Hitters this isn't hard.

Switch Hitters? If they forced Retro on this more like Switch HITLERS!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Better than what? I am absolutely confused here. Splatoon was received well by all WiiU users and most reviewers. It has an attach rate of about 40%. If the lack of maps was an issue, it wouldn't have been so popular.

There are only five levels in L4D and that was so popular they made a sequel to it. Splatoon also constantly updated and had a version of single player for getting used to the controls. I don't get why only have five maps is such a sticking point when it didn't affect the quality.

Games that are good and well received can still have valid criticisms. You can't turn to "well it was still Good" and just write off any issue someone has with a game. This was like the #1 thing people complained about when Splatoon came out, both users and professional reviews. It's still a really good game and most of those people liked it. It feels fan boyish to say that actually it couldn't have done things any better because It Was Good.

I mean dude seriously you're saying something couldn't have been an issue because a game was popular. Really?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Norns posted:

Is the arena itself your primary target in Quake 3?

It's almost as if trying to force everything into an arbitrary premade genre box and judging it against the other things in that box is, like, dumb and bad.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Norns posted:

This like saying Zelda Breath of the Wild is like Zelda Twilight Princess.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Splatoon when you die you respawn at the beginning of the arena, and you respec between games. So it's a roguelike.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't know what people are even arguing about anymore.

Splatoon good
So what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anyone hear anything about this "town sim" game

New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers?

Seems real weird and almost Anno ish.

• Locked thread