Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bloodychill posted:

Looks like Mass Effect is settling in the mid 70's on metacritic, which was exactly what I expected after playing the demo. It's fun and it's more Mass Effect but it's just not bringing a lot of new poo poo to the table and the writing is mediocre.

Still looking forward to loving shooting aliens of all kinds.

Who cares as long as it isn't a copy of kotor anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Papers Please seemed really cool to me, but I found playing it too stressful so I never played it very much

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I ended up making a printed version of the rulebook because flipping through the in-game one was holding me back. I also ended up memorizing all the city names

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

People who liked Papers, Please! should give Cart Life a try. It used to be sold on Steam but since the author made it free he removed it from the platform (no idea why). It's with no exaggeration one of the best written games ever as it explores realistic every-day themes that almost no games successfuly venture into. It's also a prime example of extending a game's narrative with gameplay design. It's heart-breaking though so it's not for everybody, basically imagine Manchester By the Sea: The Game and that's what it is.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 20, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I found this old MS Paint comic I made in high school and randomly picked this out of all the chat threads to share it with.

I honestly don't remember if this was made sincerely or as some kind of takedown on "wacky" webcomics.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cart Life made me feel very depressed in a way a video game never has before so... points to it for that, I guess

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I found this old MS Paint comic I made in high school and randomly picked this out of all the chat threads to share it with.

I honestly don't remember if this was made sincerely or as some kind of takedown on "wacky" webcomics.

Yeah 15 years ago my ex and I did webcomics. We had an anime one that she drew and one that I did as a "satire" on that style. Or maybe I was being sincere. 15 years was a long time ago.

If I'm being honest I'm still kinda proud of the "listening to Dirty Three on Ecstasy" line because, well, just try it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:siren: The final thread to vote for the TOP FORUMS DOG is up. :siren:

Our forums candidate is Rusty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Yeah 15 years ago my ex and I did webcomics. We had an anime one that she drew and one that I did as a "satire" on that style. Or maybe I was being sincere. 15 years was a long time ago.

If I'm being honest I'm still kinda proud of the "listening to Dirty Three on Ecstasy" line because, well, just try it.

I feel like every other webcomic back then was this kind of abstract minimalist nonsense. You had sprite comics, gag-a-day comics that turned incredibly serious and dramatic 10 strips in, and this sort of thing.

E: Look, an actual real webcomic from 2000.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 20, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

precision posted:

lemme quote you so y'all can't back out of it if we're going into the business of laughing at our shameful work from half a lifetime ago

... well, what can you do? this was the res you got off scanners a decade and a half ago :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think anyone could ever accuse me of having any shame whatsoever :v:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

Looks like Mass Effect is settling in the mid 70's on metacritic, which was exactly what I expected after playing the demo. It's fun and it's more Mass Effect but it's just not bringing a lot of new poo poo to the table and the writing is mediocre.

Still looking forward to loving shooting aliens of all kinds.

If it falls below 74, it will be rated lower than Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Sonic Chronicles was allegedly developed with a skeleton crew after EA acquired the developer in late 2007 and shifted resources to IPs they owned. As a side note, you can play as renegade Sonic in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mass Effect Andromeda being kind of a mess is simultaneously sad and a relief for me. It's sad because I love the basic idea of a Mass Effect game about jetting off to a whole other galaxy and exploring and I'm sad that they apparently hosed it up really bad, but it's a relief because holy poo poo I barely have time for games that are already out and Persona 5 is coming soon and I haven't even played Nier Automata yet :ohdear:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

I was just thinking about this yesterday. Penny Arcade has been around for 19 years. Gunnerkrigg Court for 12. Webcomics still feel like such a new thing but they have been around for actual decades now

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

i learned today that there was going to be a Seaman sequel on 3DS co-developed by Jellyvision/Jackbox but it was cancelled

I mean it already had a sequel on PS2 with the frogs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have already spoken of my shameful Sonic webcomic of the early web 2.0 days. It will of course be making a resurgence once someone rips the sprites from Sonic Mania.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I made an episode of Boatface.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda being kind of a mess is simultaneously sad and a relief for me. It's sad because I love the basic idea of a Mass Effect game about jetting off to a whole other galaxy and exploring and I'm sad that they apparently hosed it up really bad, but it's a relief because holy poo poo I barely have time for games that are already out and Persona 5 is coming soon and I haven't even played Nier Automata yet :ohdear:

Nier Automata is really good and should take priority.

Today I am going to go to work, and then head out to pub trivia with co-workers and then Mass Effect once I get home. :homebrew:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I played a stupid amount of nier over the weekend and yeah its amazing. I was kind of taken aback at all the similarities it has to the original.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I am way too slow in getting through games. I feel like I've put a good amount of time in Nier already buit I still haven't even completed the first playthrough. Granted I have been getting sidetracked by sidequests but my friend who got it the same I did has already completely beaten the thing. Oh well, nothing wrong with taking my time to enjoy a game I suppose, though I really do have a backlog I'd love to at least dent before Persona 5 takes up a few months of my gaming life.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm glad I've conditioned myself not to care about SMT games over the years because I couldn't take another hundred hour game at this point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I'm glad I've conditioned myself not to care about SMT games over the years because I couldn't take another hundred hour game at this point.

You're missing out unless you don't really like JRPGs.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

You're missing out unless you don't really like JRPGs.

No, see, there was a period on the PS2 where I bought literally every SMT game and the only one I've completed was DDS1. I didn't even bother to play DDS2! I think I was still buying them up to SMTIV.

It probably would have helped if the first release of P3 wasn't gimped and the prospect or restarting a game I spent 70 or so hours on wasn't annoying, or if that save file hadn't shortly disappeared afterwords, or if I didn't also lose a P4 save. I just can't take that poo poo anymore.

I also never really liked the RNG dungeon design of P3 and P4, or the notion that SMT's answer to "random battles are boring and tedious" was to make them more involved so that you always have to pay attention even when you've "solved" a particular fight.

edit: Like my initial interest in the series was Nocturne because my brother wouldn't shut up about it but this was when Atlus hadn't gotten SMT games into moneymaker status yet and that game was rare so I couldn't find anything other than the strategy guide and a spare music cd, so that by the time I actually could play it I had burned out on reading about areas and listening to the awesome music.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Persona 5 can be finished in a pretty reasonable amount of time on the easier difficulties if you just want to experience the awesome storyline.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

P5 also doesn't have randomly generated dungeons.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello, good morning, how's everyone doing?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Looking forward to playing Shadowrun for the first time this evening even though I haven't finished making my character lol.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Persona 5 can be finished in a pretty reasonable amount of time on the easier difficulties if you just want to experience the awesome storyline.

I don't think I care enough about the stories I've seen to want to listlessly play a turn-based game ignoring it's main gameplay.

Sakurazuka posted:

P5 also doesn't have randomly generated dungeons.

Neither did 90% of the SMT games I bounced off of either.

:shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If Mass Effect doesn't appeal to you consider playing Nioh instead if you have nothing else you want to play. Here is a screenshot

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Did NIER: Automata fix the dumb side missions of the original NIER? That was the worst part of the original, especially that drat fishing mission.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

My knee got messed up by some icy stairs and now I need physical therapy but otherwise I'm doing okay :v: I still can't stop playing Zelda even though I finished the main story and found most of the shrines because it is really super good.

How are you today, FirstAidKite?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Franchescanado posted:

Did NIER: Automata fix the dumb side missions of the original NIER? That was the worst part of the original, especially that drat fishing mission.

Actually, it double downed on them :getin:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

Part of me misses my highschool days where I had all the time in the world to master games. I think I put like 200 hours into Tales of Symphonia grinding Genus to level 160-ish so I could beat the battle arena gauntlet with him and get his best weapon.

FirstAidKite posted:

I stayed up too late and now I'm tired as hell, and have to teach a class today. Oh well it's pollination syndromes which is related to what I did my masters in so I can handle it with my eyes closed.

I'm also waiting patiently for the Turok 2 patch so I can get on with the game, but I'll have to wait until tonight.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Franchescanado posted:

So far I've not seen any that are deliberately designed to troll completionists but they're still kind of busywork, some have good writing and give you a bunch of information about the world however. Fishing is also now incredibly simple and I've not found any quests that require it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
My problem with original NIER's side missions were they felt...Useless. I haven't played it in two or three years, but they just didn't feel rewarding, didn't really help with leveling, didn't help with story, they were just filler.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah they made them more interesting with the design of the some of the side encounters and the writing but there's still quite a few that are just walking around talking to people. They're wayyyy better than the original game and also not needed for any of the endings so its just how much of the world you wanna check out.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

So far I've not seen any that are deliberately designed to troll completionists but they're still kind of busywork, some have good writing and give you a bunch of information about the world however. Fishing is also now incredibly simple and I've not found any quests that require it.

I think I got a cavia moment last night,

C playthrough: Got everything done to complete the sidequests in the village. just before the robots in pascals village get eaten by themselves. Decided to grab the book for pascal before turning them in and then doing them all in one go. It triggered the next step in the story and now I have to do it over again. Going all the way back to the factory and amusement park.

Edit: The sidequest banter in Nier 1 was really good though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I do want to play Nier, as it looks pretty cool. I'm gonna be busy with Andromeda for a while so it might not happen soon. I'm curious, how's the PC port? Is it good?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I want to play Nier and Yakuza and Nioh but I need to finish HZD but I only have like 2 hours a week to play at the moment. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serf posted:

I do want to play Nier, as it looks pretty cool. I'm gonna be busy with Andromeda for a while so it might not happen soon. I'm curious, how's the PC port? Is it good?

It's not the best but there are workarounds for some of the more glaring problems (monitor not using the right resolution in fullscreen).

• Locked thread