Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Tomb of Horrors is actually fun though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Torchlighter posted:

Tie was also playing an earlier version of the game that increased the damage done to a pokemon if they were holding an item, so basically everything hit like a truck regardless of level, because his pokemon were holding items. Hard to tell if that was a bug or a conscious design decision to 'punish' people using items (I mean,it was probably a bug, but if it came out that it was actually something the designer put in,I wouldn't be surprised).

Pokemon Uranium basically reminds me at least a little of the Tomb of Horrors, a D&D dungeon designed by Gary Gygax to catch his players out by deliberately destroying any attempt by them to metagame or use their knowledge of the game to bypass obstacles. The main difference being, Gygax was explicitly trying to kill his players, and they knew it.
That doesn't explain away a lot of the weird discrepancies. I don't remember Pokemon being able to tank a Pokemon with STAB, type advantage, and a five level difference which ended up happening around this point in the LP.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

he was supposed to be in the top percentage goddammit

I'm in the first percentile of rattata! :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

How the gently caress is that thing 6'7"? I mean, it's even got the Pokeball right there for scale.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
The pokeball might actually be bigger than a real one and it's probably including chain length into it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I honestly kinda like Linkite. I'm not really opposed to the idea of a fanhack doing something a little darker than the canon games, so long as its done well and tastefully. A game made outside the constraints of Game Freak could open up new doors that canon Pokemon wouldn't, and shouldn't, go through. Sadly, Uranium fails really hard at this. Linkite basically sums up Uranium on that front. "Poorly thought out, on the nose design, under or overdesigned mess." But I've always been a sucker for Ghost types, so I can't entirely hate the dumb little thing.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The Linkite idea is kind of neat in concept, but really falls flat in execution. The substitute doll is a neat
touch, but the strangle chain/pokeball really ruin the whole thing, for as 'dark' aa some of the pokemon lore gets, this is far too grimdark and edgy for edgy's sake. If they put put the chain connected to the back of the doll, that might warm me up to it more

Seroously, could you see it interacting with Ash or Pikachu on the show?

The fact that is evolution is INCREDIBLY DUMB in both concept and design doesn't help. It almost feels like it should be a parody of fake edge lord Pokemon.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 20, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Tunicate posted:

I'm in the first percentile of rattata! :v:

Yeah, let's be fair, the Rattata would be in the top percentile, if you assume a descending list. Joey didn't lie, he just massaged the data!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Why not just make the chain the doll's tail? That's both more natural and actually resembles things that exist more.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Endorph posted:

Why not just make the chain the doll's tail? That's both more natural and actually resembles things that exist more.

because how else are they gonna wring every last drop from this metaphor orange

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Endorph posted:

I mean, still edgy, but at least it's a tiny bit less blatant.

Edit

And a version without the legs because of the whole 'ghostly tail' thing.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 20, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit

i don't know which one i like more but i like both more than the original

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit

That's significantly cuter. It looks like a keychain, if you don't know better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MadScientistWorking posted:

That doesn't explain away a lot of the weird discrepancies. I don't remember Pokemon being able to tank a Pokemon with STAB, type advantage, and a five level difference which ended up happening around this point in the LP.

Hell, when Tie gor frustrated and power leveled his Pokemon to the 90s, he was still getting the business from non-super effective attacks from Pokemon in the 50s and 60s.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MadScientistWorking posted:

On top of that too the reason why TieTuesday thought the Pokemon had perfect IVs was that even if you are five or six levels higher with a STAB move your Pokemon could just be one shoted. Is there any particular reason why as to why that occurred because that seemed the most infuriating part of the game? Leveling doesn't work the way it should.

Tie was explicitly playing a version with a borderline gamebreaking bug. That bug was that any time a pokemon had a held item, they took double damage from everything. Tie, being a Reasonable Player Of Pokemon, put hold items on his crew, which made an already uphill struggle far worse.

On top of that, while I don't have a good memory on what his team looked like at that point, the stat discrepancies between evolution tiers is starting to show up now, and they're a lot more stark than most official pokemon.

Compare to OFS which has a low-tier fully evolved (Buttplug), a single stage dragon-type shitwrecker (MEGAWEAPON), two mid-tiers fully evolved (Lotadio and Dumbledore), and a couple pieces of filler. Tie might have still been trying to use the starter at this point, the starters are terrible.

EDIT: While I couldn't tell you without digging in the guts of an ancient version, it's entirely possible that hold items just halved a pokemon's stats altogether, which would make a lot more sense than just "2x damage" because damage in pokemon is calculated on a curve, not a line. Note that high-end competitive play is either "chipping away forever at an unbreakable wall" or "rocket tag", no middle ground.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 20, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

Compare to OFS which has a low-tier fully evolved (Buttplug), a single stage dragon-type shitwrecker (MEGAWEAPON), two mid-tiers fully evolved (Lotadio and Dumbledore), and a couple pieces of filler.

My Fursona is not filler! He and MEGAWEAPON are the two most consistently used Pokemon in this run! :argh:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The Linkite idea is kind of neat in concept, but really falls flat in execution.
Seroously, could you see it interacting with Ash or Pikachu on the show?
Apparently there's a Mimikyu in the new season that explicitly hates Pikachu's guts, and peeking under the disguise traps you in a nightmare hellscape. What I'm getting at is, there's plenty of stuff here that could work if the makers had: a) a sense of restraint; b) playtesters who gave decent feedback.

Not the whole tragic backstory & nuclear explosions stuff though. That's a lost cause, front to back.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

How the gently caress is that thing 6'7"? I mean, it's even got the Pokeball right there for scale.

I'm more perplexed by its weight. What Ghost-types weigh that much?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DTaeKim posted:

presumably the weight is from the ball and chain

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Personally, I'd go for more of a whispy, smoky tail that rises from the pokeball. You could then go for a much less edgy djinni-like design, that just hides the creepyness in a hosed up pokedex entry.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the person who said the edgy ghost pokemon looked like something from binding of isaac is right. it's pretty terrible looking.

the crying is just over the top. most ghost pokemon despite their ghostly appearance looked like something you can be friends with.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Insert MimikyuHiFive.gif here.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
gastly, haunter, and gengar are my playful prankster boys

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Hell, when Tie gor frustrated and power leveled his Pokemon to the 90s, he was still getting the business from non-super effective attacks from Pokemon in the 50s and 60s.

Wasn't that mostly due to the weird "take extra damage if your Pokemon is holding an item" bug?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Palossand is my very slow but very strong murder-friend, and I just wish he had a better ability and/or more speed.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tired Moritz posted:

the crying is just over the top. most ghost pokemon despite their ghostly appearance looked like something you can be friends with.

Well yeah, you can, but...

Gengar's Pokedex entry, Moon posted:

It apparently wishes for a traveling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans.

...I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

And honestly, considering some Sun and Moon Pokedex entries like that one, not to mention Phantump's entire existence, I'm not that sure if Linkite wouldn't fit in an actual Pokemon game. It's roughly as edgy as "children who die in the forest become Phantump" and "all Gengar are actually dead people". Or "Primeapes rage their entire life and find peace in death".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

And honestly, considering some Sun and Moon Pokedex entries like that one, not to mention Phantump's entire existence, I'm not that sure if Linkite wouldn't fit in an actual Pokemon game. It's roughly as edgy as "children who die in the forest become Phantump" and "all Gengar are actually dead people". Or "Primeapes rage their entire life and find peace in death".

i don't think you've valued how bad the slavery imagery is in a game where they explicitly go out of there way at every opportunity to say it's not animal pit-fighting

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If they had kept the same concept and just made it a spooky substitute doll that would have been fine.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I was thinking the "pokemon who died in its ball" was a bit to dark for a dex entry, but then I remembered a bunch of ghost pokemon, like Yamask:

Yamask posted:

Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.
On the subject of Dex entries, Sun/Moon ones had some messed up ones like Haunter/Gegnar basically murdering people, but I was particularly amused by Sylveon

Sylveon posted:

Its ribbonlike feelers give off an aura that weakens hostility in its prey, causing them to let down their guard. Then it attacks.
A real step up from hugging its trainer or calming fights with the ribbon-feelers.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Like, the basic idea isn't the worst, it's actual design is implemented in the edgiest way possible. Like, a pokemon died in it's pokeball and forgot what it looked like when it became a ghost? that's sad and spooky, and not too far off from an actual pokemon ghost type concept. Given some thought, you could have a half-way decent fan-made ghost pokemon.

But then they go with the CAUGHT POKEMON = SLAVERY imagery, and my eyes are rolling into the back of my skull with this Banksy-level poo poo.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

If they had kept the same concept and just made it a spooky substitute doll that would have been fine.

Something like a pokeghost possessing a substitute doll, with subsequent evolutions making it kinda break out of the doll (the doll itself becoming warped and ectoplasm/wisps breaking out of it, possibly showing an outline of whatever's possessing it?) would be cooler than "weird doll awkwardly chained to pokeball", imo. Although that does tie into the inanimate pokemon discussion from earlier...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Torchlighter posted:

Tie was also playing an earlier version of the game that increased the damage done to a pokemon if they were holding an item, so basically everything hit like a truck regardless of level, because his pokemon were holding items. Hard to tell if that was a bug or a conscious design decision to 'punish' people using items (I mean,it was probably a bug, but if it came out that it was actually something the designer put in,I wouldn't be surprised).

Pokemon Uranium basically reminds me at least a little of the Tomb of Horrors, a D&D dungeon designed by Gary Gygax to catch his players out by deliberately destroying any attempt by them to metagame or use their knowledge of the game to bypass obstacles. The main difference being, Gygax was explicitly trying to kill his players, and they knew it.

Surprisingly, the Tomb of Horrors' inaugural run killed precisely zero players. The Tomb of Horrors was tailor-made to Gygax's personal D+D group; he knew how they worked, and they knew how he worked, and by all accounts a good time was had by all describing how exactly they got the next random hireling to take point as they entered the third straight Chamber of The First Guy In Here Is Going To Have A Bad Day.

Now, every group that's run it blind after them has been unceremoniously killed in a number of unfun ways, because Gygax trying to challenge people who could basically read his mind at that point was a mean SOB.

Pokemon Uranium is probably pretty fun to the people who made it! Shame about Literally Every Human Being Not On The Dev Team.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
we already have a spooky doll pokemon.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
If you're talking about Banette, I completely forgot about them; however, the origin is a bit different - instead of a ghost possessing a pokemon, Banette is a doll that gained sentience (and seeks revenge on the kid that threw it away, speaking of creepy Pokemon entries). I'm thinking there's enough flexibility there to make two distinct pokemon lines, especially if you make the pokemon design thematically different (Banette's a living doll, while Linkite is a ghost using a doll as a base).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

presumably the weight is from the ball and chain

is the ball also a ghost or is that an actual pokeball

do you put a pokeball inside another pokeball when you call that thing back

could you use it to catch another pokemon if you threw it at them

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This is clearly the "the pokeball on the ground is actually an enemy" pokemon.

Like Voltorb and Electrode except so edgy I can feel it slitting my wrists from here.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DTaeKim posted:

Giratina says hi.

Then again, Giratina is basically the living embodiment of dark matter and/or antimatter, so weight is kind of an odd thing to consider there.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Golurk's pretty heavy, at 700lb+. Golurk's also one of the few unambiguously heroic ghosts though, so it's already kind of running in exception territory.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jayme posted:

Something like a pokeghost possessing a substitute doll, with subsequent evolutions making it kinda break out of the doll (the doll itself becoming warped and ectoplasm/wisps breaking out of it, possibly showing an outline of whatever's possessing it?) would be cooler than "weird doll awkwardly chained to pokeball", imo. Although that does tie into the inanimate pokemon discussion from earlier...

I don't really mind object pokemon if they're supposed to be spooky ghosts or created by people or anime magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I rather object pokemon over "normal type bird/mammal with a funny haircut or angry eyes" or "mono water type pokemon that's literally just a fish or sea creature"

• Locked thread