Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Hard posted:

Can't confirm but I've read somewhere the longer the execution animation, the more health it will give. It's a gamble really.

Feels like that should be explained somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I feel like they were going for "does it look cool?" more than "will this be an issue as a mechanic."

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Finally focused on one character (Warden) enough to get it to rep 3. I had 19 premium crates saved up since I never used any before and pimped him out for the max revenge gain/revenge attack minimum revenge duration build.

Is anyone else a little gunshy about upgrading gear though? It's surprisingly pricy and I don't want to spend all my silver and salvage to hit 108 and then have revenge gear nerfed into uselessness. The devs have said they didn't intend revenge to be so powerful and that they were going to dial it back (thank god) so I saved some good purples with the other stats maxed out.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Why do execution moves execute a enemy at differing times? it seems like the visuals get in the way of the move actually performing it's function to prevent a enemy from reviving.

Lawbringer has some neato visuals, but it takes him a eternity to finish executing someone, other classes moves can vary between 1-4 seconds to be fatal.

Also, why does the warlord seem to only have a single, repetitive, slow animation for killing soldiers while everyone else becomes a ballerina of death?

Because the warlord is not designed for holding the front they are a big slow heavy that's meant to hold firm and defend a capture point. Killing soldiers is more for the vanguard heroes. When you're a heavy you earn your renown by boosting and defending one of the capture points.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You guys keep saying heavies aren't good at killing soldiers but I'm not sure any of you ever played conqueror who can clear three dozen soldiers in 3 seconds with his zone attack and has access to the soldier killing perk.

As for renown I'll hit max perks in a couple minutes on just soldiers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Schneider Inside Her posted:

It gets harder to like this game the more stuff you realise is hosed about it

That's why I stopped playing. High level play is super tense and demands a lot of skill but the mechanics of the game have a bunch of dumb crap underlying them that can just ruin it. I got really loving sick of assassins being able to magically not fall over when out of stamina due to a dumb bug.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You guys keep saying heavies aren't good at killing soldiers but I'm not sure any of you ever played conqueror who can clear three dozen soldiers in 3 seconds with his zone attack and has access to the soldier killing perk.

As for renown I'll hit max perks in a couple minutes on just soldiers.

Conqueror is literally the king of killing mooks. There is no other class that can clear waves as quickly, his only limitation is stamina.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

had both a berzerker and a vortexing warden (same brawl match) accuse me of spamming today, because I kept baiting out their heavies and then doing trades as the warlord, but because they hit me first I guess that meant I didn't know what I was doing???

publords do NOT like the headbutt->poke combo though lol

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Babe Magnet posted:

had both a berzerker and a vortexing warden (same brawl match) accuse me of spamming today, because I kept baiting out their heavies and then doing trades as the warlord, but because they hit me first I guess that meant I didn't know what I was doing???

publords do NOT like the headbutt->poke combo though lol

Valkyrie sweep endless combo causes a ton of rage too. It's funny because it's avoidable every step of the way (unless cornered) but nobody can manage it. Most people know how to reset vs the Warden vortex now.

This game isn't like MOBAs despite the mechanics it obviously borrows. Pretty much any class can do any role. I just try to do whatever the rest of my team is not. Usually it means boosting zone A or C the whole match.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Has anyone else been having issues with joining elim matches? I'm trying to wipe away all my elim orders, but it can never find a match. Says high activity, other modes are fine, but these never go through.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've found if you want to win dominion quickly, you murder those soldiers as fast as you can and make the points gained from the other two points pale in comparison, they will rack up 1-2 points a second, but your holding the 1 point from the battlefield and the 20 points per wave of soldier you vaporize every 10 seconds.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

forgot to post about it but a couple of hours ago me and this lawbringer were getting juiced in a brawl match by this warden and I think another warlord?? anyway, we were down 2-1 and had just lost the last match, but my buddy decided to take that moment to drop out of the match early for some reason

so the game hitches for a second and my warlord just gets right back up and the game considers it a victory for my team, even though we had actually just lost 3-1 a second prior. this game is held together by duct tape, bubblegum and good intentions

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Thread activity really dropped off a cliff after release, they need to announce the next patch and do some goodwill grind removal to keep the playerbase around.

The failed community event was also really bad PR for the game and it's players.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The failed community event was also really bad PR for the game and it's players.

What was that?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Trillhouse posted:

Valkyrie sweep endless combo causes a ton of rage too. It's funny because it's avoidable every step of the way (unless cornered) but nobody can manage it. Most people know how to reset vs the Warden vortex now.

This game isn't like MOBAs despite the mechanics it obviously borrows. Pretty much any class can do any role. I just try to do whatever the rest of my team is not. Usually it means boosting zone A or C the whole match.

How do you get out of that combo, anyway? Good Valks are the bane of my existence a lot of the time.

Wandle Cax posted:

What was that?

Weebs won last week despite being poo poo on all week and having the lowest score, because it flipped over at the last minute or something like that.

Regardless, the Knights have been in third both weeks, which probably salted out a good chunk of this game's decidedly thin-skinned and chickenshit community.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Babe Magnet posted:

Publords do NOT like the headbutt->poke combo though

I mean at this point nobody does really unless you're using it.

Warlord is ridiculous and gets guaranteed and good damage off everything while also being the most effective defense character in the game when defense is at it's strongest, even halfway decent ones are miserable to fight by now.

Wandle Cax posted:

What was that?

That community order (Just play a huge poo poo ton of dominion) that's still sitting completed at the bottom. Originally it wasn't gonna get completed in time because practically every second game was dying, so they extended the timer on it. Honestly I still don't think that one was really a big deal and maintain that it likely wasn't down to playerbase, it was because dominion is already the most prone to keeling over at a harsh virtual breeze, so concentrating even more masses of the playerbase and their lovely internets into it made the mode meltdown harder than ever.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 20, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Fuzz posted:

How do you get out of that combo, anyway? Good Valks are the bane of my existence a lot of the time.

The sweep always comes out the opposite direction of her last attack. Dodge into it (ie: if it's coming from your right, dodge right) and the i-frames will protect you. You then get a free punish. Or you can roll out to reset, but that doesn't give you a punish.

The other big thing to remember with Valkyrie is that you get a free uncounterable guard break if you block any of her dash attacks.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I apologize if I missed it, but is there an XBox One community for this game?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Liu posted:

the first person to do anything loses: the video game

Pretty much. They encourage a turtle meta and it's incredibly easy to break guard breaks if you're not doing anything, but incredibly hard to avoid a parry or a deflect. Then they gave certain classes omni-block and other classes huge zone attacks or heavys guarded by armor and what the gently caress are you supposed to do?

My favorite is trying to take down a Warlord only to have him get bored and do nearly undodgeable heavy attacks that do twice my damage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Doltos posted:

My favorite is trying to take down a Warlord only to have him get bored and do nearly undodgeable heavy attacks that do twice my damage.

He actually has relatively mediocre-weak heavy attacks compared to everyone else. The difference is he gets super armor during them so you will ALWAYS lose if you trade with him. Shugoki's super armor is up all the time but resets on a timer, so you can poke and punish. Kensei's super armor heavy is only at the end of a three hit chain. Zones get super armor for many classes, but otherwise you don't see it that often.

Someone has more accurate values, but super armor is literally like 80% damage reduction, which is why trading heavies with a Raider is the only conceivable way a Warlord might end up losing on trades because Raiders do loving ridiculous damage with their heavies.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I bit the bullet and spent 4K silver and most of my scrap maxing out my sword for Warden. Max Defense and 3/4 attack on the blade, max revenge gain on defense and 3/4 revenge mode defense on handle, max revenge damage and 3/4 revenge gain by injury on hilt. The rest I didn't bother upgrading over their base 13 but I favored debuff resistance, sprint speed, and stamina defense. I also made sure to get minimum revenge duration.

It's unsurprisingly completely ridiculous. It takes only a couple hits (blocked or not) to proc revenge, and then I do double damage. Shoulder charge to knock them down and then top heavy for 80+ damage lol. Also because of the minimum revenge duration, I'm proccing it multiple times a fight and getting that sweet invincibility plus auto-knockdown on anyone swinging plus the health bump.

I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. Plus I have cool spikey shoulders, an owl on my chest and a ridiculous looking double serrated sword that looks like a toy!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ahahaha, was playing a match with a blatant throttler. Next round he's the host, continual desynch on launch, eventually it boots everyone.

Love that P2P. :shepface:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We need more PS4 goons. Trying to complete these Skirmish orders with pubbies is loving painful. Grouping up is an alien concept too my team, but never theirs. Also, let's have a cumulative gear score of <20 on my team, but over 100 on theirs. Makes sense! :shepface:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Fuzz posted:

We need more PS4 goons. Trying to complete these Skirmish orders with pubbies is loving painful. Grouping up is an alien concept too my team, but never theirs. Also, let's have a cumulative gear score of <20 on my team, but over 100 on theirs. Makes sense! :shepface:

I am here and I think we are still playstation friends but I am too embarrassed about being literally the worst player to actually play with anyone. I only play PVP if it is for a 4v4 daily and it doesn't involve killing people. I am afraid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

titties posted:

I am here and I think we are still playstation friends but I am too embarrassed about being literally the worst player to actually play with anyone. I only play PVP if it is for a 4v4 daily and it doesn't involve killing people. I am afraid.

I'm doing the AI stuff right now. Broadcasting, though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I'm on PS4 as WandleCax, anyone feel free to add me

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Why is there a delay for the next community event? It takes about a week to complete anyway, I don't see why they didn't just immediately replace it with something like "play 2,000,000 duels" after the dominion one resolved. The rewards aren't even that much more than you get from the other daily quests as it is.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Why is there a delay for the next community event? It takes about a week to complete anyway, I don't see why they didn't just immediately replace it with something like "play 2,000,000 duels" after the dominion one resolved. The rewards aren't even that much more than you get from the other daily quests as it is.

If they were smart they'd make the goal super reasonable, but bizarre and competitive between factions. Kill 1 million mooks in dominion, get 2,000 executions in elimination, etc etc.

Winning faction takes all, reward is a free drop of like 1000 steel and a box. Event changes every 72 hours. In that 72 hours you don't have ANY Orders that relate to that specific PvP mode, so people can't double up. You don't make this last bit announced, but perceptive people would notice.

People might notice and complain, but it suddenly adds goals for the grognards... casuals would just do the Orders and hope their faction would net them free stuff. Hardcore people would also do all their orders but also focus on whatever esoteric community goal there is. The steel could add up nicely but it'd probably rotate between factions regularly to spread the wealth and be a carrot for the money grind. Orders would stay about the same.

Everyone would always have something to do. Faction War would just be in the background, though it needs to auto deploy assets if you don't do it manually.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Fuzz posted:

Ahahaha, was playing a match with a blatant throttler. Next round he's the host, continual desynch on launch, eventually it boots everyone.

Love that P2P. :shepface:
I still find it hilarious that people are quitting and doing this poo poo in 2017. My K/D! :cry: I really hope there's a game at some point which adds a poo poo-ton of losses and deaths to someone's record just to gently caress with them if they do it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

limited posted:

I still find it hilarious that people are quitting and doing this poo poo in 2017. My K/D! :cry: I really hope there's a game at some point which adds a poo poo-ton of losses and deaths to someone's record just to gently caress with them if they do it.

Reverse KDA reporting in 4v4 based on your gear level.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
I can't for the life of me figure out how to time my guard break counter outside of the lovely training mission. Am I missing something that might help me (besides the split second indicator) or am I just trash and should die more practicing?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out how to time my guard break counter outside of the lovely training mission. Am I missing something that might help me (besides the split second indicator) or am I just trash and should die more practicing?

It's just practice. Doing them in a row doesn't really help get it down. You need to do it in mixups or it's practically useless. I'm not getting it all the time but since I started actively going to insta death areas (pools, ledges, wall spikes) and hanging out during matches it will help and you will die a lot until you start getting it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I don't think the training covers it but you must counter GB as they make physical touch to you, not right as you see the red icon appear on your opponent.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Make sure GB is bound to something that's easy to hit. For console you can swap the top shoulder button with square/x in the accessibility options. For PC I think it's done in an .ini file? I dunno.

It makes a huge difference. Practice against a level 3 bot in a custom match. Set round time to infinite, damage to zero, gear stats off. Then just defend and counter until you get better at it.

As soon as you see them start the GB animation, just mash GB. The timing is generous enough that button mashing works well. You used to be automatically fail the counter if you pressed it more than once, but they patched it so just go ham.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

GB set to F feels like cheating, it's so nice.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fuzz posted:

Everyone would always have something to do. Faction War would just be in the background, though it needs to auto deploy assets if you don't do it manually.

It already does this, although apparently manually deploying assets gets you a bonus.

The Faction War thing is so dumb and ill-defined. I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing and I'll be damned if I'm going to read a Reddit post or guide about it. It's simply not interesting enough.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I manually deployed assets until I got the trophy for doing it 100 times. I was about to type "never again" but I just checked and there's a trophy for manually deploying once for 50 different turns. Fml.

The worst is when you're playing a game mode that's not on your faction's front. So you have to select deploy assets, back out, zoom in on another region, and deploy there.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Trillhouse posted:

The people who don't know how to dodge the sweep complain the most. Oddly enough when I fight someone who knows how to dodge the sweep but I then get with the mix-up (guard break/light attack mainly, occasional feint if I have the stamina) don't really complain at all.

For some reason Conquerors feel like hotter bullshit than they did a week ago. And I have a hell of a time as a valk getting out of the Warden vortex for some reason. It should be just double tapping dodge at the correct time to reset, right?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I'm really enjoying my Valkyrie but I kinda don't see the point in the sweep other than being annoying. Is the heavy follow up to the sweep any more damaging than a regular top heavy from a guard break? I've had much hilarious success from just going from guard break to top heavy to push to guard break to top heavy to push and it doesn't gently caress up my stamina the way adding in the sweep does or my team mates (which is goddamn hilarious by the way). Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Trillhouse posted:

I manually deployed assets until I got the trophy for doing it 100 times. I was about to type "never again" but I just checked and there's a trophy for manually deploying once for 50 different turns. Fml.

The worst is when you're playing a game mode that's not on your faction's front. So you have to select deploy assets, back out, zoom in on another region, and deploy there.

I usually swap to whatever front my faction is losing on/the other side has the most areas and deploy there, just because. Go Vikings! Round emblem best emblem. :iamafag:

Dreylad posted:

The people who don't know how to dodge the sweep complain the most. Oddly enough when I fight someone who knows how to dodge the sweep but I then get with the mix-up (guard break/light attack mainly, occasional feint if I have the stamina) don't really complain at all.

For some reason Conquerors feel like hotter bullshit than they did a week ago. And I have a hell of a time as a valk getting out of the Warden vortex for some reason. It should be just double tapping dodge at the correct time to reset, right?

Conquerors are the bane of my existence on most classes, especially the assassins. Unless they don't know how to GB counter. Either way, their combos change directions so crazily it's hard as hell to block them, and then they get into their insane combo chain slapping you I the face, and if you try to roll away they shield slam your rear end and all your stamina is gone. It's frustrating as hell.