Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
The 70-300's are slightly longer, but the 55-250 outperforms both the Canon and Tamron at the long end. I'm not sure what conflicting reviews you are reading, but this is borne out by the test images @ TDP, photozone, slrgear, and DXO (although they don't have APS-C results for the canon 70-300, they show the 55-250 handily beating the tamron) - The 55-250 @ 250 is as good as those lenses are @ 200mm, and they all get worse from there.

all that + super light and cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's what I wanted to hear, pretty much. Appreciate it!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I may have a 55-250 in my closet I don't use.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hdip posted:

I may have a 55-250 in my closet I don't use.

Let me know what you'd let it go for!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh that's awesome, I had no idea what the o with a line through it meant

55mm it is, thank you!!

One annoying thing about lenses is that they all have different filter sizes, and two lenses with the same focal length may not take the same filter.

To avoid having to buy a million filters in all different sizes, you can get step up and step down rings to adapt a filter to different sizes.

Generally it's wiser to get the largest size filter you'll need and then use step up rings, versus a smaller filter with step down rings. Using step down rings is more likely to result in vignetting.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

my summer at fat camp posted:

That's what I wanted to hear, pretty much. Appreciate it!

I may just buy a 70-200 f4L IS for $680... Yolo?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Edit: goddamn my reading comprehension.

Yeah, that's a decent deal. I'd check it first before handing over the $$ (or have a return policy in place), just to make sure.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If that's in the US, it's cheaper from Amazon.

edit: IS, nevermind.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

404notfound posted:

One annoying thing about lenses is that they all have different filter sizes, and two lenses with the same focal length may not take the same filter.

To avoid having to buy a million filters in all different sizes, you can get step up and step down rings to adapt a filter to different sizes.

Generally it's wiser to get the largest size filter you'll need and then use step up rings, versus a smaller filter with step down rings. Using step down rings is more likely to result in vignetting.

That's a neat suggestion, thanks! What would you recommend I get for a filter size then, assuming I get some of those rings too?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
77mm will be the maximum diameter you should need, there aren't any first party lenses with a filter thread larger than that.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

82mm is not that uncommon, the faster 16-35 and 24-70 are both using the 82mm threads.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I thought there were some 82mm threads too (and, very rarely some 95mm ones), but then I found this list which says both of those lenses use 77mm filters.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Helen Highwater posted:

I thought there were some 82mm threads too (and, very rarely some 95mm ones), but then I found this list which says both of those lenses use 77mm filters.

The last generation of those lenses used 77mm filters, but the newest ones (16-35 f2.8L III, 24-70 f2.8L II) are 82mm.

e: the 16-35 II was also 82mm

astr0man fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 10, 2017

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Any of you guys know of a decent read for someone looking to do some pre-recorded foley on a budget?

Now that I have a capable camera, a friend is asking for some help with stupid ideas.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

404notfound posted:

Even better I think is ignoring screw-in filters entirely and springing for plates. Way more versatile especially if you get into situations where you want to change filters constantly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I dunno if this is where I should share stuff like this, but I'm having a great time with my new camera and I was experimenting with some long exposure shots tonight:

I'm super stoked with the results!! This is a 13 second exposure, I'm finding it challenging but really fun trying to get a good balance.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Nice. I really like that one. Here are a couple of my first with my new Nikon. I was thinking of posting a few to that photo-a-day thread but it seems to be dead.

Taveta weaver by cchard, on Flickr

Gorilla by cchard, on Flickr

I was thinking of cropping the Gorilla tighter around his head. If you click the link for the large version you can see he is looking right at me.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 15, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Definitely do that. As is its just a standard zoo shot, but making it obvious hes giving you side eye makes it unique.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Hey all, getting close to pulling the trigger on my first DSLR. Most likely the Canon T6i. Any "must have" accessories I should get as well?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

InFlames235 posted:

Hey all, getting close to pulling the trigger on my first DSLR. Most likely the Canon T6i. Any "must have" accessories I should get as well?

A big memory card. :v: 64 gigs are pretty cheap and will keep you going for ages without having to delete anything.

Otherwise, you'd do well to get a case big enough for the body and a couple lenses.

That's about it for "must have" anything. "Want to have" ... well, how much cash you got?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

ya, the 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens :v:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A sub 11mm wide angle lens for photographing cats tripod will be a huge benefit.
Consider getting a circular polarising filter in whatever size your kit lens uses (probably 58mm).
Get a sling strap because neck straps suck.
Cleaning stuff (lenspens, blower brush, microfibre cloths)
Lightroom subscription.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

akadajet posted:

ya, the 24mm f/2.8 pancake lens :v:

I have no idea what this means :p. Based off Amazon it looks like it comes standard with an 18 - 55mm lense.

Thanks for the suggestions! Not sure what the polarizing filter would do but definitely a case, shoulder strap and memory card seem like must-haves (especially the memory card).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

A cheap prime lens would be very good to get. A prime lens is a lens with a fixed focal length, not a zoom like the kit lens that comes with the camera. The 50mm is cheap and has a wide aperture (the f number is low, like 1.8) which will let you shoot in lower light and also get noticeable bokeh (the blurred backgrounds that people associate with dslr cameras).

Regarding memory cards, if you are shooting jpg, which you will probably do for now, you can get a small card but make it a fast one. You don't really need other accessories. Except maybe a comfortable strap since the once that come with cameras are pretty poo poo.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

InFlames235 posted:

I have no idea what this means :p. Based off Amazon it looks like it comes standard with an 18 - 55mm lense.

Thanks for the suggestions! Not sure what the polarizing filter would do but definitely a case, shoulder strap and memory card seem like must-haves (especially the memory card).

The 24mm pancake is a cheap lens that's good and sharp for aps-c cameras (like yours). Folks like it for it's practical focal length and being tiny and light. It's faster than your kit lens too.

50mm 1.8 is another cheap lens that people like for it's background blurring ability. It's focal length kind of sucks for everyday photography on aps-c, but it's really a matter of preference.

akadajet fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 19, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If you could swing it getting both would be great. Or, what a lot of people here recommend, is take your kit lens and put it to 24mm and shoot with it for a few days without moving it (no zooming, keep it at 24mm and move your feet to get the shot you want rather than using the zoom). Then set it to 50mm and do the same for a couple of days. You'll get a feel of what might be more useful for you. You'll get more background blur (bokeh) with the 50mm but because it acts like a short telephoto you won't be able to get as much in the frame and will have to be further away than if you were using the 24mm. The 24mm is a great all purpose focal length but it won't do as well for traditional portraits, won't be quite as good in low light since it is f2.8 vs. f1.8 (lower numbers mean it collects more light). Either would be better than your kit lens at those lengths though. When I was starting out my first prime was a 50mm and I found that useful because I could start thinking about portraiture more and I used the kit for anything I couldn't get with the 50, but if you want more environmental shots (street photography, landscapes and all that) then the 24 will be more useful for you. My rational was that if I was doing street or landscapes that the light would generally be high enough that the kit lens would do fine whereas you won't get anywhere near the background separation and bokeh as using a 50 f1.8

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InFlames235 posted:

A pancake lens is flat like a pancake - it doesn't stick out very far from the front of the camera when mounted.
A polarizing filter is pretty much the only filter that accomplishes something that can't be done in post-processing - it removes reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as glass, polished wood, and water. This can let you see through glass or water (under the right circumstances) and it changes the way the sky and some natural surfaces (e.g. ice) look in photos. Read up on polarization to get an idea of how this works. There are two types of polarizing filters for cameras, circular and linear. Linear polarizers can interfere with the autofocus system in DSLRs and are mostly not made anymore for this reason - you can still find them second-hand because they were very popular in the 1980's before autofocus became completely standard.

I'm quite happy with the neck strap that came with my camera, though I have to say I almost never wear it around my neck - mostly I wrap it around my wrist and let the camera dangle from my arm. The memory card isn't really an accessory, because you need one to take actual photos, so yeah, get one of those. The usual advice is a well-known brand and from an internet seller (e.g. Amazon) because bricks-and-mortar stores charge a ridiculous high price on things like that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I always hang cameras from my shoulders nowadays so having an nice strap is essential for comfort. When I did use the stamps from various cameras I would wrap them around my wrist too and they work well for that but having two bodies makes that not practical and having a blackrapid (attached to the left side of the camera) makes it easy to carry and keep my arms free, easily brought up to my face when I need it and easily removable if I want to have it with out the strap for a while. It is easily one of my favorite accessory purchases.

You might also want to get some lens pens. They have a brush on one side and a cleaner on the other and make cleaning lenses really easy. Get the one with the three sizes and you get a tiny one for the viewfinder too and they come in a microcloth bag that you can also use to clean the screen and larger areas.

You'll also want a bag eventually but get lenses first and then worry about that.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

As someone who just did a bunch of memory card research, buy a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s SDXC in the largest size you can afford.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 19, 2017

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Should I just wait a couple weeks for the T7i? I was just getting ready to go forward and see this updated one coming out at the end of the month and it's the same price as a T6i haha. Any thoughts?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

my summer at fat camp posted:

As someone who just did a bunch of memory card research, buy a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s SDXC in the largest size of which you can afford a pair.

Fixed for people like me who always forget one in the reader and have a paperweight of a camera until they go get it.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

InFlames235 posted:

Should I just wait a couple weeks for the T7i? I was just getting ready to go forward and see this updated one coming out at the end of the month and it's the same price as a T6i haha. Any thoughts?

Is it the same price Body Only as the T6i with the kit lens?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

Is it the same price Body Only as the T6i with the kit lens?

Yes. $750 on Amazon gets you an 800D body or a 750D with an 18-55mm kit lens. If you want the 800D with that lens (cheapest body/lens bundle) then it's $900.

The 800D has a better sensor and the dual pixel AF from the 70/80D as well as a slightly newer image processor (DIGIC 7). All of that isn't really going to be a dealbreaker and you definitely won't notice any difference in image quality as a new photographer. If the extra $150 isn't a big deal for you then I'd go for it, otherwise stick with the 750D. Bear in mind that a 70D with the 18-55 lens is $100 more than the 800D bundle and is a whole lot more of an upgrade than the 750D - 800D comparison.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If you are not set on it I would recommend Fuji honestly. Being new to photography it will be easier to learn with the external controls, if you are shooting jpg the jpg output of Fuji bodies are much better and they actually care about their APS-C lens lineup unlike Canon. You can also get very cheap manual focus lenses to go with your kit lens to mess around with different focal lengths. I thought you were already set on that Rebel but if you are thinking of waiting then that opens up the possibility of just getting something other than a Rebel too.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If you're set on Canon, you can get a refurb 80D with the kit lens for around $80 more

https://slickdeals.net/f/9877240-canon-80d-dslr-camera-w-18-55mm-stm-lens-refurb-832-35-free-shipping

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

curried lamb of God posted:

If you're set on Canon, you can get a refurb 80D with the kit lens for around $80 more

https://slickdeals.net/f/9877240-canon-80d-dslr-camera-w-18-55mm-stm-lens-refurb-832-35-free-shipping

Canon USA refurb carries a 1 year warranty also (same as new)

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

curried lamb of God posted:

This does look like a good deal but I got $150 in Amazon monies for my recent birthday that I'd wanna use ;). I am pretty stuck on Canon right now. Had one of their film SLR's way back in Highschool when I last did real photography and I liked that camera bunch as well as their reputation. I've been out of the game for awhile, definitely, but Fuji makes me think "cheap" and "bad quality" although I have no clue if that still applies to them these days. I mean, I'm really going off of film times when I think of cameras now since it's been so long.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Fuji's fine now, even pretty high-end in some circles.

But good previous experience with a brand - even decades ago - is a fine reason to stick with that brand.

When the T7i drops presumably the prices on the T6i will also come down. If you're happy to wait a big, I'd get the T6i from Amazon in a little while when that happens.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fuji is really not cheap feeling at all - I started using fuji bodies with the X100 so I don't know about anything before that but the bodies are really high quality and the lenses feel fantastic since they use a lot more metal than other brands (like with Canon you will usually be getting plastic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
They make lovely plastic point and shoots, but so does every brand. The X series is their pro/prosumer line and it was only introduced in 2010 which is probably why they're not on everyone's radar.

• Locked thread