Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Eventually the impurities in the water that got inside of the phone will start to cause corrosion, and will then cause solder points to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My last three phones have been waterproof for that reason, not because I take selfies in the pool. Eventually you'll spill something on it , or it'll get moist in the rain or something else. Turns out though, even if they say it's waterproof to IP57 or whatever, it won't survive a 140F cotton cycle with 800 rpm spin.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thermopyle posted:

I've seen that happen to lots of people with whatever phone. The real damage often doesn't rear its head until some time has passed and you get intermittent problems of various sorts.

Yeah, but that won't stop them from smugposting since we pretty universally poo poo on OPO and all its sequels.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I was super happy with my opo thinking it was going to always get updates and the hardware would last a long time. Had it for two and a half years now, hasn't updated in two years and the reception has steadily gotten worse to where I don't get calls inside my house.

Can't say I'll buy another oneplus again, their company was a one-hit wonder that bought into their own fame.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ola posted:

My last three phones have been waterproof for that reason, not because I take selfies in the pool. Eventually you'll spill something on it , or it'll get moist in the rain or something else. Turns out though, even if they say it's waterproof to IP57 or whatever, it won't survive a 140F cotton cycle with 800 rpm spin.

Don't wash with hot water* also is there an IP rating that would cover spin cycle?

Sextro fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 19, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I was super happy with my opo thinking it was going to always get updates and the hardware would last a long time. Had it for two and a half years now, hasn't updated in two years and the reception has steadily gotten worse to where I don't get calls inside my house.

Can't say I'll buy another oneplus again, their company was a one-hit wonder that bought into their own fame.

:owned:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ola posted:

How long do i have to wait until "eventually"?

I've been buying phones for decades!

(tomorrow i'll drop phone in toilet i'm sure)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I had a Samsung flip phone once, a long time ago, that survived a drunken throw off a dorm building and a full wash/dry cycle. That thing was a tank.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

How long do i have to wait until "eventually"?

Until it happens. It can be expedited.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had a Samsung flip phone once, a long time ago, that survived a drunken throw off a dorm building and a full wash/dry cycle. That thing was a tank.

I dropped a Nokia 3210 5 storeys onto concrete and it honestly wasn't even scratched. Why did I ever upgrade

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I dropped a Nokia 3210 5 storeys onto concrete and it honestly wasn't even scratched. Why did I ever upgrade

Pretty sure mine was something similar to this one

that thing was a tank

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I won't say much for my old LG pushbutton Tracfone special, but it cost something like twenty bucks and I'm pretty sure it would survive a direct nuclear strike.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I liked this zinger from The Verge's article on Bixby, Samsung's new AI assistant:

quote:

Bixby exists to solve one of the most difficult challenges in all of tech: make Samsung’s own poorly designed software and interfaces easier to use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I liked this zinger from The Verge's article on Bixby, Samsung's new AI assistant:

Galaxy s7 score: 8.8
Galaxy s7 Edge score: 9.1

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Galaxy s7 score: 8.8
Galaxy s7 Edge score: 9.1

Is that supposed to be related to my post in some manner? If so, I don't get it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

Is that supposed to be related to my post in some manner? If so, I don't get it.
Despite what you said they seem to get good reviews year after year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

This, yes. Specifically from The Verge. I seem to recall the Note 7 got even better than that, though I can't find their written review and lol if I'm watching a video.

Though, to be fair, they gave the software "only" 7/10.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 20, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Part of me really wants a Galaxy Tab S3 because it's an Android tablet with modern hardware and a gorgeous screen in an amazing looking package.

But then I see the software and sadly shake my head walk away.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ilkhan posted:

They don't want to lose their seat at the table.

"This phone killed my dog and gave my wife cancer. 8/10"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

This, yes. Specifically from The Verge. I seem to recall the Note 7 got even better than that, though I can't find their written review and lol if I'm watching a video.

Though, to be fair, they gave the software "only" 7/10.

Oh right, yeah that isn't consistent on Seifert's part.

ilkhan posted:

I think you mean "despite what they said".

Actually I pretty much never pay attention to review scores anywhere. It's a futile attempt to put a number on something it is impossible to measure. When I say "never pay attention" I mean it. I very rarely could tell you what the score a review gave to a product is anywhere unless it's just shoved right in my face. The scores are completely meaningless almost everywhere.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It helps to remember a 5 on the verge is like a two anywhere else

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Blue Train posted:

It helps to remember a 5 on the verge is like a two anywhere else

I heard they have fewer scores under seven than Gamespot has ones with a ten.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Who gives a poo poo about the Verge?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Advertisers

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/843852120562552832/

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that's one of the "what in the actual gently caress" missing features. There's like 4 ways to set reminders and it can't hook into any of them somehow?

That, and I'd like to be able to sync active timers between Home and phone, but eh.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Adenoid Dan posted:

My girlfriend is looking for a new phone and wants some advice but I haven't payed attention since I got my N6P. I think the Huawei Nova plus looks reasonable and in a good price range but the most important thing is that it will keep getting updates, is Huawei good about that?

Does she like your 6P?

That should still get updates for another year or more at least and be on par with Pixel updates.

If it is too big then go with something else, but the 6P really isn't a bad option if you get one new still which can be found for less thant $400 for the 32G model.

And Lol, yea that is something that you would think Google would do in their infinite wisdom. Allow whatever device that is able to hear you listen, and let the one that can do the actual task, respond. Not send everything to the Home when the phone is also listening and perfectly capable of actually doing what you are requesting.

However, I could have sworn my Home did set a reminder when I asked it the other day even though I was attempting to be quiet enough to just talk to my phone. Its got ears, everywhere... :tinfoil:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Lately, I've been getting spam notifications from Chrome. Nexus 5, everything stock. Anyone know what's causing them?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Toebone posted:

Lately, I've been getting spam notifications from Chrome. Nexus 5, everything stock. Anyone know what's causing them?

You went to a webpage that asked for permission to send you notifications didn't you?

Have you checked and closed any tabs that might have clickbait crap running all around them by chance?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

EdEddnEddy posted:

You went to a webpage that asked for permission to send you notifications didn't you?

Have you checked and closed any tabs that might have clickbait crap running all around them by chance?

Went into Chrome settings > Notifications, found easilyverify.com was whitelisted. Dunno how that got there, but thanks.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Toebone posted:

Went into Chrome settings > Notifications, found easilyverify.com was whitelisted. Dunno how that got there, but thanks.

They are sneaky buggers for sure.

If you haven't already, give Ghostery or Brave a shot if you want a browser with good built in add blocking but works like Chrome but blocks 95% of the crap that makes mobile sites truly suck these days.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Toebone posted:

You have haxors on teh y0ur PC. it's more likely than you think.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

seravid posted:

Sometimes the display of my 6P refuses to timeout. Receive a notification? I better be around or the display will never turn off. Restarting fixes the issue but, sooner or later, it comes back. Any ideas?

I already have random wakelocks eating a fifth of my battery and an insane gamma at low brightness turning multiple colors solid black... and now I have to restart my phone once or twice a day to fix the display. Coming from a custom rom'd G3, I was not expecting having to deal with poo poo like this when I purchased this high-end, google-approved phone.

My Nexus 6P works flawlessly and has never encountered any bugs or hardware problems. I think it's likely you've installed some bad software and/or are holding it very wrong.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Smythe posted:

My Nexus 6P works flawlessly and has never encountered any bugs or hardware problems. I think it's likely you've installed some bad software and/or are holding it very wrong.

This person is wise!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Smythe posted:

This is mine aside from the god drat battery issue - I have to mentally treat 20% as 0% now or risk a dead phone.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My battery was hosed up until I found a post on the pebble forums saying that the Tile apps "repair bluetooth" function was loving up my pebble. Turned it off and now my phone lasts for 2 days on a charge again. Don't underestimate how bad a bad app can be.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That isn't the 6P low charge thing - that's definitely a hardware problem

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smythe posted:

Don't underestimate how bad a bad app can be.

Yeah, people tend to overlook how badly a single app can gently caress up your phone even without root or any crazy "keep the screen on at full brightness, also be able to turn the flash on at will" privileges. An app like facebook that does a lot of background data transfer and keeps the phone awake for longer than it has any right to will chew through your battery at an astonishing rate (especially over mobile data) and can make it look like your poo poo's defective or getting old.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Toebone posted:

I had some dumbass site start sending me notifications on the desktop, I didn't realise the setting was on allow until they started popping up. Wouldn't be surprised if Chrome sync adds them to your phone too

I love reboxing videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

dissss posted:

That isn't the 6P low charge thing - that's definitely a hardware problem

True, however when I did my stock image flashing trick it seemed to help my OG 6P before I sent it back anyway since the Speakerphone was fubar.

Flashing the earliest image directly from google through ADP (using FlashAll.bat) setting it up and doing a full battery charge/decharge in that, then flashing the latest rom, seemed to help somehow.

I was having shutdowns anywhere from 15-25%, after doing that I was able to get it to hold on until the 1-2% range even under load.

Worth a shot if that is the only issue you are having, and you have a little time to back everything you want up and flash a few times with Google Images for the 6P.