Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Pungry posted:

Alright, this doesn't matter, but I don't understand why the Caps are above the Jackets in the standings. The Jackets have equal ROW with them and more overall wins. What are the tiebreakers?

It's because the Caps have a better goal differential.

Tiebreakers:
1) Games played/points % - Identical
2) Number of ROW - Identical
3) Who has earned the most points in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. Columbus is 2-1-0 against the Capitals, but has had two home games to the Capitals one, so they're considered 1-1 against each other for the purposes of tiebreaking.
4) Goal differential. Caps are +69, Columbus is +64
5) flip a coin

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Trump is cool and good.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's because the Caps have a better goal differential.

Tiebreakers:
1) Games played/points % - Identical
2) Number of ROW - Identical
3) Who has earned the most points in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. Columbus is 2-1-0 against the Capitals, but has had two home games to the Capitals one, so they're considered 1-1 against each other for the purposes of tiebreaking.
4) Goal differential. Caps are +69, Columbus is +64
5) flip a coin

Actually of the two games that count, Washington lost one in overtime and won one in regulation, so they have more points on those two games and that's why they're ahead. I think.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I got this funny feeling that the expansion draft is going to set the Blue Jackets back a number of years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

HappyHippo posted:

Actually of the two games that count, Washington lost one in overtime and won one in regulation, so they have more points on those two games and that's why they're ahead. I think.

Oh yeah, if the Caps got an extra point out of their second loss in Columbus then that's the reason why.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope the season comes down to a tie between Columbus and Washington and they get to the flip a coin procedure and Washington loses the toss and has to play the Pens in the first round.

God drat would that be glorious

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I hope the season comes down to a tie between Columbus and Washington and they get to the flip a coin procedure and Washington loses the toss and has to play the Pens in the first round.

God drat would that be glorious

Only until Washington sweeps your gimped up team.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Only until Washington sweeps your gimped up team.

We could have the Wheeling Nailers in there and the Caps would find a way to blow it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

I liked it.

Also there was a split second during a crowd shot where Im visible so that makes it movie of the year 2017.

Can you nominate people for oscars online?

Also cool, thanks!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It's going to own when like the loving Senators make it to the Finals after all of this talk about the Metro dominance.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

It's going to own when like the loving Senators make it to the Finals after all of this talk about the Metro dominance.

Yeah people are making fun of the Atlantic a little too much. You know one of those teams is gonna go on a bullshit run now and then get swept by the Hawks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HookShot posted:

Can you nominate people for oscars online?

Also cool, thanks!

And the award for "most convincing extra portraying a spectator at a sporting event goes to.."

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Charlie McAvoy and Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson are both expected to turn pro after the NCAA season ends. McAvoy is definitely good enough to play on the Bruins right now. Not as sure about JFK but he's a really interesting prospect too.

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah people are making fun of the Atlantic a little too much. You know one of those teams is gonna go on a bullshit run now and then get swept by the Hawks.

If Tampa Bay makes the last wild card spot it would not surprise me in the least to see them run the Eastern Conference and make it to the finals again.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Thanks y'all for explaining. I'd really like it if the Pens-Jackets wouldn't play until the ECF so I'd better start rooting for the Caps to lose more.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Doctor Butts posted:

I got this funny feeling that the expansion draft is going to set the Blue Jackets back a number of years.

It's not going to help, but it's not great it's happening in a year where the CBJ have been so strong. The way I see it:

quote:

Protected (*=required): F- Saad, Dubinsky*, Foligno*, Hartnell*, Atkinson, Jenner, Wennberg, D- Jones, JMFJ/Murray, Savard, G- :cop:*

Exposed: F- Calvert, Korpikoski (UFA), Karlsson, Anderson, Gagner (UFA), Sedlak; D- JMFJ/Murray, Quincey (UFA); G- Korpisalo, Forsberg, Dansk.

There's not really an anchor among the players who have to be protected- Foligno has redeemed himself and Hartnell has kept up a decent scoring pace in reduced minutes. The feeling is Clarkson would waive.

Up front, you would assume Clarkson waives his NMC, possibly Hartnell (to that end, does Vegas pick him?). If Hartnell does, you then have to decide which of the above forwards to protect...and that's a difficult question- it's a dead heat between Calvert/Karlsson/Anderson. If Vegas takes Sedlak, you've dodged a massive bullet; it's not that he's bad, it's just the others are that much better.

The third D to protect is a tough question. Murray hasn't been as good this year as in previous years, but is young and JMFJ is going into a contract year. No matter what, you're keeping much of the core: Werenski and Nutivaara are ineligible, Jones, Savard, and one of Murray or Johnson stay. You may not lose the other.

In net, the target is Korpisalo. The question is there an eventual backup among Forsberg, Dansk, or Merzlikins? Forsberg is solid in the AHL, but just can't seem to get it done in Columbus.

Unfortunately, there's a strong chance of losing either a) a part of the top PK unit (Calvert/Wild Bill), b) a forward who has exceeded expectations in his first full season (Anderson), or c) a backup goalie (Korpisalo, unless they take a chance on Forsberg at which point another huge bullet has been dodged). If a winger goes, Bjorkstrand appears to have found himself enough to fill the hole. If it's a center, you'd have Sedlak and maybe re-sign Gagner or go within/elsewhere. Losing Korpisalo pretty much means a backup has to be found for the short-term at a minimum, as I don't know if Forsberg has it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 20, 2017

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Tkachuk's probably getting suspended for elbowing Doughty in the face or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Charlie McAvoy and Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson are both expected to turn pro after the NCAA season ends. McAvoy is definitely good enough to play on the Bruins right now. Not as sure about JFK but he's a really interesting prospect too.

If Tampa Bay makes the last wild card spot it would not surprise me in the least to see them run the Eastern Conference and make it to the finals again.

I remember seeing on NESN JFK had the majority of his 13 goals this year in like one week of games in January. Without that his stats aren't that impressive.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
People forget that the Caps can get out of the first round just fine, it's the 2nd round they blow it in.

Also, Price can absolutely steal a series or two even if the Habs in general aren't a very good team. Even if the Rangers get that 1st wildcard and are arguably a better overall team than the Habs I can easily see them losing because Price went into gently caress you mode

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Fyi go hawks sharks cats jackets caps preds oilers and leafs

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

People forget that the Caps can get out of the first round just fine, it's the 2nd round they blow it in.

Also, Price can absolutely steal a series or two even if the Habs in general aren't a very good team. Even if the Rangers get that 1st wildcard and are arguably a better overall team than the Habs I can easily see them losing because Price went into gently caress you mode

I'd be real down for a Cowboy vs the King goaltending duel

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

St. Dogbert posted:

Tkachuk's probably getting suspended for elbowing Doughty in the face or something.

He's meeting with DPS today

Honestly the guy who decked Tkachuk on the boards right after should be having a chat too but that won't happen

It looks accidental-ish to me so he probably won't get that many.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol that elbow wasn't an accident.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah in no way was that accidental. Tkachuk's done worse but he knew drat well what he was doing there

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I wasn't sure if he had a history - it looks like it could be an accidental sort of twitch to react to the puck but if he's done stupid poo poo before then gently caress him

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/bruce_arthur/status/843860045632880646

Nice

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Is Brad Marchand good now?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hand Knit posted:

Is Brad Marchand good now?

You know how a lot of mass murderers knew how bad they were so they would work really hard to present a positive public image ex. John Wayne Gacy? It's kinda like that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's not going to help, but it's not great it's happening in a year where the CBJ have been so strong. The way I see it:

There's not really an anchor among the players who have to be protected- Foligno has redeemed himself and Hartnell has kept up a decent scoring pace in reduced minutes. The feeling is Clarkson would waive.

Up front, you would assume Clarkson waives his NMC, possibly Hartnell (to that end, does Vegas pick him?). If Hartnell does, you then have to decide which of the above forwards to protect...and that's a difficult question- it's a dead heat between Calvert/Karlsson/Anderson. If Vegas takes Sedlak, you've dodged a massive bullet; it's not that he's bad, it's just the others are that much better.

I can't see them taking Sedlak at all. He just hasn't produced enough to be visible. Karlsson, maybe, but I think Anderson is probably their target.

quote:

The third D to protect is a tough question. Murray hasn't been as good this year as in previous years, but is young and JMFJ is going into a contract year. No matter what, you're keeping much of the core: Werenski and Nutivaara are ineligible, Jones, Savard, and one of Murray or Johnson stay. You may not lose the other.

I think JMFJ has really improved over last year, believe it or not. He's controlled the puck a lot better overall. Murray is still young but he's been hurt a lot. I don't know who to choose.

quote:

In net, the target is Korpisalo. The question is there an eventual backup among Forsberg, Dansk, or Merzlikins? Forsberg is solid in the AHL, but just can't seem to get it done in Columbus.

Forsberg has had a rough couple of games, lately. He hasn't been that consistent.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Doctor Butts posted:

I hadn't considered this. My god, how cruel

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

I seriously doubt any team is going to be set back a lot by the expansion draft. Well, except for Pittsburgh when they can't get rid of Fleury.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
If your team is set back by the expansion draft your GM did a terrible job handing out NMCs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You're only losing one player. It'd be pretty hard to get set back substantially by the expansion draft unless you lose a Matt Murray or someone like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, it's one player and like your 9th or 10th best.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I never thought about this, but do you get compensation of any kind for losing a player to the Expansion Draft?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
a few lucky teams are probably going to get a good hunk of cap space back

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Overwined posted:

I never thought about this, but do you get compensation of any kind for losing a player to the Expansion Draft?
No.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JawKnee posted:

a few lucky teams are probably going to get a good hunk of cap space back

Yeah this is all I can think of. Vegas is gonna need some big contracts to get to the floor.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
12 games until the playoffs. First place in the NHL. Everyone's healthy again.

I am overcome with dread.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

I remember seeing on NESN JFK had the majority of his 13 goals this year in like one week of games in January. Without that his stats aren't that impressive.

True but a hat trick vs Union, two vs UMass, and a goal in both games of a back to back against Boston College could just as easily tell me that he plays well in big games!

Edit: I think he has what it takes to be a good bottom 6 NHL player, like a PJ Axelsson type (I miss u PJ), but he should probably stick to college. I don't know that he could even play top-6 in Providence yet.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

DJExile posted:

Yeah this is all I can think of. Vegas is gonna need some big contracts to get to the floor.

They only need to reach 60% of the cap floor in their first year I thought?

• Locked thread