Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Do I just have a freak of a watch, or is my use case dramatically different from everyone else? I generally burn 30% every 24 hours on my original G Watch, that's actively been in use since maybe a month after it launched. I keep my brightness at 4, and don't use always on, so maybe that's it? I reply to notifications via voice using it a couple times a day, maybe do a few actual voice commands as well, and other than that just dismiss notifications.

I can last a very full day on my ZW3 (like, say I put it on and leave for work at 7, get home after evening stuff around 11-midnight, it would be just ready to die at like 10%). I use auto brightness and always-on, because I feel that'd be crippling my experience without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My ZW2 will easily do two days, but it'll be close to dead by the morning of the third.

Always on screen switched on of course

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

G-Prime posted:

Do I just have a freak of a watch, or is my use case dramatically different from everyone else? I generally burn 30% every 24 hours on my original G Watch, that's actively been in use since maybe a month after it launched. I keep my brightness at 4, and don't use always on, so maybe that's it? I reply to notifications via voice using it a couple times a day, maybe do a few actual voice commands as well, and other than that just dismiss notifications.

That's about what I get on my 2nd gen Moto 360 with ambient mode on. It's usually about 70% at night when I put it on (obviously though I sleep for part of the 24 hours and it charges). If I had to guess I'd say I could get about 48 hours of continuous usage and I could definitely forget to charge it for a night and be fine the next day.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anyone know a way to force a Huawei watch to ota to 2.0?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

iajanus posted:

Anyone know a way to force a Huawei watch to ota to 2.0?

Considering its not out yet...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Don Lapre posted:

Considering its not out yet...
Too many conflicting and questionable news stories saying it was have me confused.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

iajanus posted:

Too many conflicting and questionable news stories saying it was have me confused.

A person who works for the company posted a picture of his watch with it, but it hasnt actually been released.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Did you guys see Android Police's review of the new Huawei watch? Wow.

Do I need to put in spoilers that it's a giant pile of poo poo? So far the consensus is that Wear 2.0 sucks and all the new hardware is terrible.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maybe Fitbit will use it's newly acquired IP and talent to create a decent smartwatch

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Do I need to put in spoilers that it's a giant pile of poo poo? So far the consensus is that Wear 2.0 sucks and all the new hardware is terrible.
I've pretty much given up any hope of replacing my OG 360 with a decent new model since they're all bad. Went back to wearing my old comedy-huge G-Shock. At this point Android Wear is basically dead since even Google can't get it right.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Maybe Fitbit will use it's newly acquired IP and talent to create a decent smartwatch

Not likely since their newly acquired IP never bothered to do that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I've pretty much given up any hope of replacing my OG 360 with a decent new model since they're all bad. Went back to wearing my old comedy-huge G-Shock. At this point Android Wear is basically dead since even Google can't get it right.

I do love my Moto 360/2 but I'm dreading the update to 2.0. Obviously there's no way to stop it when it finally comes to ruin my watch. :(

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

LastInLine posted:

Did you guys see Android Police's review of the new Huawei watch? Wow.

For what it's worth, it's the same guy who poo poo all over it in February in a preview article.

All I really want is something with NFC/Android Pay, 1+ day battery, and durable so I can replace my Sony Smartwatch 3.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 21, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The problem is that Android Pay seems awful on the watch and whether it's the same guy or not, it sounds lovely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, Android Pay just sounds terrible on a watch. It's a lot of extra steps which is a lot quicker on the phone.

Oh, great, it can tell if it leaves your wrist and only asks for the passcode once. I'll remember that the next time I go on some sort of shopping spree that includes Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, McDonald's, Macy's, and Best Buy in a single day.

Android Pay on Wear is functionality in search of a use case.

Now, if Google could get everyone on board with using NFC enabled loyalty cards, I could totally get behind that (and you wouldn't need to have security so high either.)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

LastInLine posted:

The problem is that Android Pay seems awful on the watch and whether it's the same guy or not, it sounds lovely.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you completely. It was more of the fact I wasn't too surprised that he was still unhappy with it.

After using ApplePay on an AppleWatch, I was really excited for Android Pay on Wear. Not so much anymore :(

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Got my ZenWatch 3. Really like the look and feel of this thing!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Android Pay on Wear is functionality in search of a use case.

Let's be real here, Android Wear is functionality in search of a use case.

When Google talked about how they were rethinking the whole thing with Wear 2.0, it was obvious they really didn't have any idea what they were doing.

I think the concept behind Wear originally made sense, that it was more or less a second screen for your phone with sensors for health monitoring. That it only existed just so you could read notifications and maybe do a shorthanded reply or action but didn't serve to exist on its own. I don't see a large market for $400 devices that work that way, but I do understand the concept especially given Android's usage paradigm (working from notifications rather than within apps).

2.0 seems to me like nothing but Apple envy and bad ideas. Watches are autonomous so you can go on a run without your phone (with horrible fitness sensors that might as well not be there due to their inaccuracy)! You have to go to the Play Store to find apps to put on the watch (if I had to do this I can tell you how many apps I'd have: one). The whole original purpose of Wear, serving as a way to work with the phone, is compromised and made worse (DND not affecting the phone, notifications being unbundled).

If you had me make a list of how best to ruin Wear as it was, it would look a lot like 2.0. I have a tough time imagining the kind of person who wants what it's becoming but doesn't want an Apple Watch. ("I want all the features of an Apple Watch, but I'd really like them all not to work...")

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I really just want an Android wear device that has a good heart rate monitor (I.e. As good as a fitbit). My 360 sport was very spotty and bad at actually taking measurements, and would only do so once every 5 minutes at best, often it just wouldn't do it for days on end.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd like that too just because I like stats and it'd be cool to have continuous and accurate heart rate data for the rest of my life.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I have a Fitbit Alta and the OG360 and honestly if Fitbit wasn't rear end about how it handles notifications I'd take Fitbit over Android Wear. It was cheap ($120 brand new), it has a 5-day battery life, tells the time ( :wow: ), and has a accurate pedometer. Just loving handle 3rd party notifications and make them stay on-screen until dismissed, Fitbit.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Gear S3 people, that's what you want. Samsung Pay actually works too. It just has gently caress all for 3rd party apps.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Not likely since their newly acquired IP never bothered to do that.

I liked the pebble and the vectors looked nice and had decent reviews

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Baselworld 2017 watch expo is going on right now, and there have been a lot of Android Wear device announcements.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/23/fossil-smartwatches-at-baselworld/
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/23/15028496/fossil-android-wear-hybrid-analog-watches-baselworld-2017

Announced brands include Fossil, Diesel, Emporio Armani, Michael Kors, Casio, and Misfit.

Here's the Michael Kors:
http://www.androidcentral.com/michael-kors-returns-android-wear-round-20-time-jewels

Here's the Misfit:
http://www.androidcentral.com/misfits-first-smartwatch-arrives-summer-android-wear-20

I suspect goons may be most interested in the Misfit Vapor as it has clean styling reminiscent of the Moto 360 watches and is expected to be reasonably priced.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Still no release date for the Misfit and now we have confirmation it is running Wear.

Name continues to check out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hey now that Misfit isn't so bad looking and for $200 probably won't have a lot of the bullshit I don't want. I'd really like to know more.

Edit: Here's more. This looks like a winner.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 23, 2017

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Agree on the Misfit, I wonder if they will put any of their fitness tracking knowhow into it because Google's sucks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LOL at naming a tech product Vapor. It's like they're trying to fail.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not only Vapor, but VaporWear.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

This is a Misfit Vapor right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I like the look of a lot of those, and at least the Vapor's price is right. If they don't do anything stupid with the hardware there are probably a few winners in that lineup.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It would be really cool if this bezel is a twist control, but I really doubt Fossil went that far

Oh well, at least the Misfit has a touch-sensitive bezel.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LastInLine posted:

Hey now that Misfit isn't so bad looking and for $200 probably won't have a lot of the bullshit I don't want. I'd really like to know more.

Edit: Here's more. This looks like a winner.

Does it have a speaker?

Having a watch that can't do an audible alarm has been real dumb on more than a few android wear devices.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having a watch that can't do an audible alarm has been real dumb on more than a few android wear devices.

Why? I have found vibration both really effective at waking me up and minimizes the disturbance to my boyfriend who gets up a lot later than me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

Why? I have found vibration both really effective at waking me up and minimizes the disturbance to my boyfriend who gets up a lot later than me.

I mean if you don't like it you can totally turn it off in the settings.

I use it for my wake up alarm so I have to get out of bed since it charges out of arms reach.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does it have a speaker?

You can read the article just as well as I can. I have no need for a speaker so I didn't look for it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

As much as it seems like Android Wear is floundering it seems like everyone is doubling down on it for some reason. Maybe Google is just throwing money at the problem? I'm still a firm believer in smart watches, maybe Google has decided they just can't give the market to Apple even though Wear is still kind of poo poo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Three Olives posted:

As much as it seems like Android Wear is floundering it seems like everyone is doubling down on it for some reason. Maybe Google is just throwing money at the problem? I'm still a firm believer in smart watches, maybe Google has decided they just can't give the market to Apple even though Wear is still kind of poo poo.

Well, the luxury watch makers either have to develop their own OS, apps, and api for a wearable if they want to get into that space, or use Google wear or Samsung's Tizen.

Which one would a company with next to no experience in developing some electronics tend to do, and which one has more market share and app support?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As I said before, the Wear watches that are going to sell are the more expensive ones that may be down in specs but have a name attached. Watches are fashion items first and foremost and the luxury makers are looking at connected wearables to bolster the market.

The Asus and LG's are the Casio of this world. People who want function over fashion. That's not where the majority of the market is.

Honestly, this is a good thing. If technical people are not the primary consumers of Wear, it puts pressure on Google to simplify and reduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Asus and LG's are the Casio of this world. People who want function over fashion. That's not where the majority of the market is.

Disagree on the Asus. The ZW3 absolutely values fashion over function and imo looks better than any other smartwatch currently on the market. It's lacking in features, such as missing NFC, but has a nice lower price point too. I regularly get compliments on how nice it looks, over competitors like the Apple watch.