Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

When my Playstation 4 is installing something, I just go into rest mode and check on it every now and then with Remote Play or turning it on. I don't nurse it for 5 hours because I've got better stuff to do than waste time optimizing my download speeds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I download stuff from the web store while I'm at work and it's usually done when I get home.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Instant Grat posted:

How big a role does the Irish lady in Andromeda play? Is she a major supporting character?

If I have to spend more than 5 minutes listening to that accent I am not touching this game with a barge pole

"Captain, I canna scissor you any harderrr! I'm givin her all she's got!"

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 20, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

bloodychill posted:

FemShep was voiced by Jennifer Hale who is great so anyone who played FemShep deserves a pat on the back for making a good choice.

I played DudeShep made to look like me all the way through and didn't even know I was missing out on the better VA :smith:
Jennifer Hale is an extremely talented VA and she nails both serious and comical scenes, but there's this bizarre quality that maleShep has that just makes most of what he says sound weirdly comical. Combined with his default face it gives off this weird B-movie feeling.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
male shepard only sounds mildly concerned even in the melodramatic moments in the series

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HGH posted:

Jennifer Hale is an extremely talented VA and she nails both serious and comical scenes, but there's this bizarre quality that maleShep has that just makes most of what he says sound weirdly comical. Combined with his default face it gives off this weird B-movie feeling.

I think Mark Meer gradually improved as the series went on but Hale was always really good, mostly because she already had a ton of professional experience before Mass Effect. I think Meer was mostly known as a stand-up comedian before being cast as Shepard, which explains how he tends to land comedic responses better than dramatic ones. I think what made Hale great is that she was always able to differentiate both Paragon and Renegade responses while also not coming off like a total lunatic, which was a difficult task to accomplish when you consider how totally bipolar some of the dialogue options were.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

A big smasher on a conveyer belt came down on my head and killed me in one hit. I was really surprised that it killed me because enemies do almost no damage to me at this point. Like I was just walking through the level and they hid a smasher behind a puff of steam in the foreground and I died out of nowhere.

It was a really cool story mission, but it had a few segments that were just attrocious. Zooming so far out that 2B is a quarter in tall on my 40 inch screen and having me fight enemies I can't even really see? Putting a bunch of poo poo in the forground blocking my view of the action while on a moving conveyer belt? It's not challenging, it's still easy, it's just not any fun.

I've been wondering if I'm getting old man eyes, or has there been some difference in visual design that you really need a bigass TV or to sit close to make poo poo out now? I'm on the same not-so-great 40" TV that seemed pretty big when I got it during the 360/PS3 generation, but now I'm no joke putting down some games till a planned summer nice TV purchase cause sitting ~7-8 ft. away from this one I just can't make poo poo out. E.g. Caladrius Blaze, Overcooked (mostly), old Lego Harry Potter games are fine, but new Lego games and kind of in Bloodborne things on the screen can be too small or cluttered to clearly make out.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
my dudeshep looked like a worn out single dad desperately trying to keep his flock of children under control

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Instant Grat posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda has boldly decided to copy Life Is Strange by having all the main characters be snarky teenagers written by 40-year old people in suits who don't know how teenagers talk

https://twitter.com/_get2sammyb/status/843608109297913857

Do not play as female main character, noted.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Instant Grat posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda has boldly decided to copy Life Is Strange by having all the main characters be snarky teenagers written by 40-year old people in suits who don't know how teenagers talk

https://twitter.com/_get2sammyb/status/843608109297913857

"kill. me. now"

The devs snuck a message in!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Son of a bitch. I've avoided every spoiler or link to someone hating on mass effect but i clicked on that paper rock shotgun review......

Now i might actually cancel my order for tonight

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I read that RPS review and Andromeda just sounds tedious and bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
im still gonna play mass effect but i think I'll let my gf buy it for me for Christmas

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Instant Grat posted:

Blasto owned and will forever be incredibly good

Blasto was never good. It was laughed at (not with) for literally years upon release and is regarded in the industry as some of the most pathetic, lame, sellout crap ever made.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I wish they would just sell the Mass Effect multiplayer for like $20bux.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Blasto was never good. It was laughed at (not with) for literally years upon release and is regarded in the industry as some of the most pathetic, lame, sellout crap ever made.

You can Blasto my Hardcheese, fucko

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I forgot all about the Phil Hartman voiced Blasto game on PS1.

It was bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

You can Blasto my Hardcheese, fucko

You may be among those who were 7 years old in 1998 and got it for Christmas instead of all the other good poo poo that year. If that's the case, I'm sorry for your loss.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

I've been wondering if I'm getting old man eyes, or has there been some difference in visual design that you really need a bigass TV or to sit close to make poo poo out now? I'm on the same not-so-great 40" TV that seemed pretty big when I got it during the 360/PS3 generation, but now I'm no joke putting down some games till a planned summer nice TV purchase cause sitting ~7-8 ft. away from this one I just can't make poo poo out. E.g. Caladrius Blaze, Overcooked (mostly), old Lego Harry Potter games are fine, but new Lego games and kind of in Bloodborne things on the screen can be too small or cluttered to clearly make out.

Text on Xenoblade Chronicles X was borderline unreadable on a sub-40" TV, but it was a badly made game on a console that could barely output 720p.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think Mark Meer gradually improved as the series went on but Hale was always really good, mostly because she already had a ton of professional experience before Mass Effect. I think Meer was mostly known as a stand-up comedian before being cast as Shepard, which explains how he tends to land comedic responses better than dramatic ones. I think what made Hale great is that she was always able to differentiate both Paragon and Renegade responses while also not coming off like a total lunatic, which was a difficult task to accomplish when you consider how totally bipolar some of the dialogue options were.

All of Hale's line readings sounded faintly irritated, which matched her role as an RPG protagonist perfectly.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

I wish they would just sell the Mass Effect multiplayer for like $20bux.

Given how aggressively they price dropped Titanfall 2 and BF1 I think it's safe to say you'll be able to get ME:A for 30 or under really soon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm feeling lucky that both I don't know what Blasto is (or was) and wasn't interested at all in ME:A when I loved ME 1 and 2 (still have to play 3).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eh, you don't really have to play 3 tbh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 3 has probably the moments I love the most about the entire series and also the moments I loathe the most. It's a maddeningly uneven game in that way, but it's totally worth the experience if you're at all invested in the first two games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I might just run again ME2 with the ME1 save game creator (if that thing is still around) on PC, so I can play ME3 wich I purchased two years ago for 7€ on Origin. I don't even remember that I owned it but hey, one of the hundreds of games I purchased and forgot about it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ME3 was still pretty active on PC when I went back to it a couple months ago. There's probably still some solid games to be had on consoles too, although I wouldn't know for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Instant Grat posted:

The problem isn't that that scene is goofy, it's that it's incredibly bad

That's a valid opinion. Here's another valid opinion:

That scene is funny and good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 3 has probably the moments I love the most about the entire series and also the moments I loathe the most. It's a maddeningly uneven game in that way, but it's totally worth the experience if you're at all invested in the first two games.

I disagree with most of this tbh

it's at best mediocre and at worst the low point of the series (barring andromeda, which I know nothing about)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

You may be among those who were 7 years old in 1998 and got it for Christmas instead of all the other good poo poo that year. If that's the case, I'm sorry for your loss.

I think we are talking about two different Blastos

This is the Blasto to which I am referring:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's at best mediocre and at worst the low point of the series (barring andromeda, which I know nothing about)

Tuchanka was good.

That's it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Manatee Cannon posted:

exquisite tea is correct and Manatee Cannon is a bitter old man as usual.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hey did a recent update break something? I idled on the home menu for a few minutes while doing something else and suddenly it started stuttering by an insane amount, taking like 10 seconds to respond to my inputs, and then when I turned the system off to let it stop making GBS threads itself it froze before finally turning off a minute later. turned it back on and it was fine. seems like maybe it was a memory leak or something? did it just have a violent negative reaction to me putting in the Nier Automata disc? what's the deal?

should probably mention it's a vanilla PS4, 500GB

EDIT: Nier Automata disc got spit out saying "Data is corrupted", but then I put it back in and it worked fine. Uh...ok?

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 20, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

I think we are talking about two different Blastos

This is the Blasto to which I am referring:

You just owned me, good goon. :)

Maybe I should read better.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, they're seperate. It's pretty rare for an FPS to be cross-platform (what was the last one, Shadowrun?)

You probably wouldn't want it to be anyway. Mouse + Keyboard in a game like Titanfall 2 would wipe the floor with players using a controller.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has there ever been a cross console game? I know there has been ultra rare PC/console cross platform games but has there ever been something where you could play PS with Xbox?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think they'd ever allow that

it'd be nice tho

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You just owned me, good goon. :)

Maybe I should read better.

It's ok to be scarred by ps1 Blasto, that game sucked. I think it had a ton of prerelease hype too, pretty sure it was even on the cover of Next Generation and was supposed to be the (or at least a) next big thing.

The unrelated Blasto character in Mass Effect was funny and good.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

There was talk of Rocket League doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

Has there ever been a cross console game? I know there has been ultra rare PC/console cross platform games but has there ever been something where you could play PS with Xbox?

Final Fantasy 11 could be played on 360 and PS2 and I think server were completely platform independent. That would be the only time I could think of.