Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TsarZiedonis posted:

Am I reading the AdMech War Convocation formation rules correctly? Because it looks like you get as many free relics and weapons as you want. Does that mean that I can load up every unit champion with every relic in the book for free? And then give every squad every free non gets hot plasma caviliers? Because that umm, that seems really overpowered.

Yes and yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Custodes does look like 5++. Here are the leaks:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm completely out of the loop, but does anybody else have Contemptors in the 40k era?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Chaos has contemptors with Forge World rules, I'm going to be using a Mantic plague strider as a Nurgle contemptor

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Xarbala posted:

I'm completely out of the loop, but does anybody else have Contemptors in the 40k era?

Contemptors have been available from Forge World for years and got added as a general Space Marine unit in the Angels of Death supplement right around when the Betrayal at Calth set came out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Good to know, they're like the one thing from 30k that makes me go, "Yeah, I'm starting to see what you see in this."

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

No. Read the wording on the Relic table: Only one of each Relic can be taken per army, and I think AdMech have the only one per character restriction as well.

You can load up on as many Plasma Cavaliers as you can carry of course, which is loving horrible.

Sorry, I should have worded that better: I can give each character a free relic, until I hit the applicable limits on relics? Which still seems like 100+ points of free swag.

Also, does the free weapons thing mean free guns for like, the battle servitors and walkers and such?

I've been out of the game for several years and I'm just coming back in with AdMech because they seem like a breath of fresh air (I *almost* bought Dark Eldar!). The Formations thing is really new to me, and seems really cool, but I am a little disappointed how some armies seem to have that one really, really good formation that gives you free stuff that everyone must take! It limits some of the fluffier choices to friendly pick up games only.

That being said, I really do like the War Convocation. The three Adeptus Mechanicus books really feel like they should have just been one army to me, and that formation lets me run them together in a way that feels right.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
War Convocation is great, but it's a bit of a reverse from the standard army build. You get all the free stuff, but unless you are playing a huge game your list really can't deviate much from the core units. Don't get me wrong, it's still a powerful Formation, but it has a built-in weakness that you can't have much redundancy in the good units because you had to buy so many Electro Priests etc.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Is there anything prevents banner powers from stacking? Could you get the Chapter Banner, Standard of the Emp, New Ultramarines banner, and custodes banner in the same area to grant +4 attacks?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for all of those but banners generally only give the +1 attack to the unit that they are a part of.

Anomandaris
Apr 3, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

No. Read the wording on the Relic table: Only one of each Relic can be taken per army, and I think AdMech have the only one per character restriction as well.

You can load up on as many Plasma Cavaliers as you can carry of course, which is loving horrible.

As someone who started playing Mechanicus this year (after a long break from 40k), I feel that the Convocation's main strength is giving all units the canticles rule, especially if you have Cawl leading your army. And you are still highly vulnerable first turn, especially if your opponent seizes the initiative.

What the army lacks is mobility (transports would help here). Free plasmas are certainly not on the level of the Ynnari soulburst rule, or a 2++ re-rollable save that some daemons can get. Not to mention that you get 6 plasma calivers at most, which is hardly gamebreaking. Also, you are stuck with 80% of you army being chosen for you before you start making your list, which might not be to everyone's liking. If you could fill your Skitarii detachment with only 2- or 3-plasma Vanguard units, that is what I'd call horrible.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

War Convocation is great, but it's a bit of a reverse from the standard army build. You get all the free stuff, but unless you are playing a huge game your list really can't deviate much from the core units. Don't get me wrong, it's still a powerful Formation, but it has a built-in weakness that you can't have much redundancy in the good units because you had to buy so many Electro Priests etc.

Hmm, it's basically like having two CADs plus a knight, right? It makes sense that they'd make the minimums you had to take so high, those formation rules would be much too powerful for smaller games.

And I thought electro priests were elites choices, and therefore optional?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

xtothez posted:

Although not officially confirmed, the new (8E) 40k rulebook is expected to drop within a few months. No one knows yet what changes it will bring, but regardless I wouldn't recommend buying the current rulebook unless you get a particularly cheap 2nd-hand copy.

However if you're interested in some simpler skirmish-style 40k, GW have just announced a new game system due out next month. It seems to be an almost identical copy of the old 2E / Necromunda ruleset, so if you've played these before it should be pretty simple to pick up.

Another thing to note on this - Orks are inherently really strong in Necromunda due to being cheap and tough. I don't know if this will carry over into the new game as the meta will shift somewhat away from standard humans being the norm but I would guess they will be decent at least.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

TsarZiedonis posted:

Hmm, it's basically like having two CADs plus a knight, right? It makes sense that they'd make the minimums you had to take so high, those formation rules would be much too powerful for smaller games.

And I thought electro priests were elites choices, and therefore optional?

Whoops, you are correct. I forgot the Battle Congregation was the one that was smaller. It's the Maniple that needs essentially one of everything except one flavor of Dragoon.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Had a dude call my admech army overpowered.

He was playing that perma-shrouded Death Guard formation with a crap ton of bikes.

His flying nurgle DP picked a fight with Cawl and lost.

The bike sorcerer he probably should've sent against Cawl instead spent the game 8 inches away somehow bouncing harmlessly off a unit of Infiltrators.

(Btw this was asked earlier. They only get the extra attack with the taser goads. The gun they get with the power weapons isn't a pistol)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Pendent posted:

I can't speak for all of those but banners generally only give the +1 attack to the unit that they are a part of.

Custodes banner is an aura as is the Emperor's in the Marine codex. The chapter banner and Ultramar banner are for their unit, normally honor guard can only take one standard from the standards list in the main codex. The new GS book says the new banner can be taken by units that normally take standards, but I'm unsure if this counts towards their one standard limit, logic would dictate it does. Either way it'd be fun to run a Land Raider Spearhead in Apocalypse with Custodes in one, and honor guard in the other all carrying these banners, giving the HG something gross like 6-7 attacks on the charge.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

An unboxing video of Talons of the emporer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTF0JRyReSI

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Had a dude call my admech army overpowered.

He was playing that perma-shrouded Death Guard formation with a crap ton of bikes.

His flying nurgle DP picked a fight with Cawl and lost.

The bike sorcerer he probably should've sent against Cawl instead spent the game 8 inches away somehow bouncing harmlessly off a unit of Infiltrators.

(Btw this was asked earlier. They only get the extra attack with the taser goads. The gun they get with the power weapons isn't a pistol)

That was me. Thanks for the clarification!

I don't think AdMech are overpowered. They have a glaring weakness in lack of mobility. I barely squeaked out a win against my buddies Necrons.

Technowolf posted:

An unboxing video of Talons of the emporer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTF0JRyReSI

Man, The Emperor's Chosen rule sounds brutal. Re-rolling invulnerable saves?

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

That was me. Thanks for the clarification!

I don't think AdMech are overpowered. They have a glaring weakness in lack of mobility. I barely squeaked out a win against my buddies Necrons.

Yeah they have obvious flaws (this is a good thing, though) and I think the War Convo just brings them up to par. The bonus--free wargear upgrades--isn't actually that devastating because it mostly amounts to some free medium-range shooting upgrades on slow units, which is fine. Army-wide canticles is the real bonus, but even that isn't a dealbreaker. Ideally, most Formation detachments would be about the power level of the AdMech War Convo.

Also re: going up against Cawl, best to avoid it unless you've got an ID mechanism. The murdersword is amazing for dealing with him though.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

goose willis posted:

OK fair enough

I didn't actually want to buy any of these because I'm totally fine with my Mantic proxies

Why don't you try their new sci-fi game? Rules are a lot cheaper and te balance can't be worse than 40k

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can someone tell me about using chaos cultists in either incarnation of Kill Team?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I know some of you guys are already familiar with the Glacial Geek, but I want to drop his stuff here. His batreps are a lot of fun, though he plays DA like 95% of the time. It's sorta his deal, though he plays a ton of different guys and is really down to throwdown versus any list. He's good fun to watch when you paint or whatever, since he's a really chill dude whose worst sin is pretty much going "woooo" and looking for Phil faces (on custom dice I, and a bunch of locals, went in on as a gift.) Plus, he generally knows the rules. Big plus there.Here's the first half of this, the most recent batrep, which has your boy Von Humboldt representing the CSM/Renegades and rocking models of wildly varying quality. I earlier did a "Campaign in a Day" with the Glacial Geek, and due to miscommunication, I had about three days to paint 3000 points. I got it done (it includes a Baneblade not shown here; the Scorpion was done ages ago!) but I have not touched the models since then. Or paint since then.

Anyways, I wanted to recognize and hype something cool my buddy does, show off my own minis, show off the minis of Ray (the Sister's player and the only dude with dice as rough as Phil) and Colin (my Daemonic ally who got distracted and didn't finish basing his counts-as Uterblight.) I think it's pretty fun, and it's nice to have some friendly batreps to chill with!

(I am also responsible for scripting the opening narration. This includes the Yeats, as I am a huge nerd.)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Should I bother getting assault marines for my iron hands?

Regular melee dudes don't seem that great in 7th edition. I feel like if I want to send something into melee it should be assault terminators or a command squad.

I could maybe see taking 5 assault marines with 2 flamethrowers either in a rhino or deep striking for anti-horde as my mandatory FA choice for stormlance demi-company, but was thinking of just getting a melta speeder or attack bike to fill that slot as cheaply as possible. Or alternatively getting a bike squad as a discount version of a command squad for my bike captain.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Have any of you flown with a Battlefoam Pack 432? I'm going to Adepticon and want to make sure I won't have any issues using it as a carry-on.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm gonna order that "Start Collecting!" marine box set off of ebay and wherever I can get like 10 scouts the cheapest

so what I'm saying is, sell me some scouts you nerds. I need a bunch, boutta get some neophytes going

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 20, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ebay will probably be flooded with cheap Scouts after the new Shadow Wars drops.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that what I was thinking but I figured I'd give you guys a chance to make some money off of me

when is that supposed to hit? I was thinking of getting it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Floppychop posted:

Ebay will probably be flooded with cheap Scouts after the new Shadow Wars drops.

yeah this is a great point

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Any advice on converting a vindicator into a laser destroyer?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

when is that supposed to hit? I was thinking of getting it

Since they were taking orders at GAMA, I'd say within the next 60 days? If I hear anything at Adepticon, I'll post it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

chutche2 posted:

Any advice on converting a vindicator into a laser destroyer?

Build a regular vindicator and stuff a bunch of ballpoint pens down the gun barrel.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

ANAmal.net posted:

Build a regular vindicator and stuff a bunch of ballpoint pens down the gun barrel.

Thanks for the great comment.

Anyway, my main issue is trying to find lascannon bits that can physically fit inside the space the vanquisher cannon takes up as a quad mount. Anyone have ideas on ones I could look for?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

ANAmal.net posted:

More pens means more shots, right?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

he's not wrong--that's pretty much what the barrels on the vindicator laser destroyer look like. You could also use mechanical pencils, if you had the right type. Anything that has a ribbed non-rubber grip should create an effect similar to what you're looking for

Technowolf posted:

More pens means more shots, right?

now you're on the trolley

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Did I miss anything important in the last 5000+ posts?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or just get some 1/4 inch 4 inch long brass tubes from a home and gardening store and some modeling putty.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kilo147 posted:

They blew up the setting and replaced it with a new game called Age of the Emperor.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Kilo147 posted:

Naw

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

chutche2 posted:

Anyway, my main issue is trying to find lascannon bits that can physically fit inside the space the vanquisher cannon takes up as a quad mount. Anyone have ideas on ones I could look for?

Uh buy a landraider redeemer and use the four now extra las cannons for bits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

mango sentinel posted:

They blew up the setting and replaced it with a new game called Age of the Emperor.

B-b-b-but my tyranids! My precious tyranids that I never use and gather dust, what of them?!

• Locked thread