Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

pretty weird of you imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Anime isn't a genre though, but I do know what people mean when they say it that way.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Sometimes, the game is too film. The anime is also too pulp novel. They're all corporate attitude.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

Anime isn't a genre though, but I do know what people mean when they say it that way.

see there you go

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Games can be cinematic and films can be video gamey

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sometimes I like anime, but also, sometimes I do not like anime.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

Sometimes I like anime, but also, sometimes I do not like anime.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sometimes, anime has qualities that are good, sometimes it has qualities that are bad, and there are lots of times where both good and bad qualities are things that seem to crop up more in japanese animation/comics than other similar industries from around the world.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

People use "anime" not to describe merely an art style but a set of conventions that are common to the genre. Like if a character in a video game suddenly gets flaming SSJ hair and throws a hadouken, or is revealed to be a 1,000 year old magical child, I can think "anime" even if it's not explicitly in that art style.

this is how you may use it, but realize that is not the only way it is used.

Seems like just saying a thing is tropey instead of trying to call it a Japanese artstyle accomplishes what you want and doesn't invoke other potentially racist crap.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someday... Anime will be real...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cowcaster were you ever a moderator, idk why but I swear there was a time you were a mod but I can't remember and I might be confusing you with another poster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like anime always, actually

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phantasium posted:

this is how you may use it, but realize that is not the only way it is used.

Seems like just saying a thing is tropey instead of trying to call it a Japanese artstyle accomplishes what you want and doesn't invoke other potentially racist crap.

I know what I'm doing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

Cowcaster were you ever a moderator, idk why but I swear there was a time you were a mod but I can't remember and I might be confusing you with another poster.

i was a moderator for a bit and then an admin for a bit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i was a moderator for a bit and then an admin for a bit

Ok. I wasn't sure if I'd gone crazy or what lol, thank you for the confirmation :)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Cowcaster posted:

really because i generally use anime as shorthand for "800 year old dragons that look like prepubescent girls"

Why you making GBS threads on that great originality, fuuuck dude

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I know what I'm doing.

other people don't, consider that this makes it confusing as to have to figure out whether or not random poster #1611 is complaining about tropes or trying to attribute pedophilia to the whole of Japan.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

bloodychill posted:

Why you making GBS threads on that great originality, fuuuck dude

hey dude i loved your subway diet.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The pot calling a kettle a weeb here if I ever saw it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phantasium posted:

other people don't, consider that this makes it confusing as to have to figure out whether or not random poster #1611 is complaining about tropes or trying to attribute pedophilia to the whole of Japan.

your forums account is a little too young to remember this but we actually had to evict an entire community of "ironic" pedophiles from the anime forum like 10 years ago so i don't think your case is as strong as you think it is

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

your forums account is a little too young to remember this but we actually had to evict an entire community of "ironic" pedophiles from the anime forum like 10 years ago so i don't think your case is as strong as you think it is

A move that singlehandedly put Trump in the white house

makes you think..

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

codenameFANGIO posted:

I made an episode of Boatface.

Wait seriously?! Boatface was my jam. MY JAM! I'm not even kidding. That one I posted was basically a ripoff of "My parents named me Autumn, but now I'm loving awesome" or whatever it was, with the line "cable knit sweater yo, he better be hetero" lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

What you like is pedo bait. That anime is pedo bait.

Real talk, anime is fine but people who can't see a joke about anime without defending glorious Nihon and calling people weird for mocking gross anime tropes are insufferable

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

With that weirdo logic the dude that just likes Goku beating up on aliens gets put on the same level as horrid poo poo.

I just want to know what the gently caress anime means when some rando says it, because it never means what it's supposed to mean.

bloodychill posted:

gently caress you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Phantasium posted:

I don't think everybody in japan likes anime

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Real talk, anime is fine but people who can't see a joke about anime without defending glorious Nihon and calling people weird for mocking gross anime tropes are insufferable

It's even more insufferable when people use the term anime as a negative for something that doesn't have any of the bad anime tropes

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey chat thread, I guess I've been living under a rock or some poo poo, because a remaster of Zero Escape: 999 + VLR is coming out this week for every system but the 3DS? Which kinda sucks since apparently they added quality of life features + full voice acting to 999, so it's kind of like the old DS version is pretty strictly inferior now? Oh well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I don't think everybody in japan likes anime

...that's my point noted bad poster fridge corn

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

:agreed:

And honestly it's usually pretty obvious what someone means when they call something "too anime" by context, anyways.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This thread is extremely anime

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

tap my mountain posted:

It's even more insufferable when people use the term anime as a negative for something that doesn't have any of the bad anime tropes

Things can be equally insufferable. At this point I've lost track of what is anime beyond actual animated Japanese cartoons. Someone tried to explain to me why Doom the video game was basically an anime once.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

My wife watches anime almost literally every day on Crunchyroll and doesn't like a single show that has gross stuff. She just sticks to cute things like Chi (which is, in fact, the cutest thing) or kids' shows like Card Captor.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Things can be equally insufferable. At this point I've lost track of what is anime beyond actual animated Japanese cartoons. Someone tried to explain to me why Doom the video game was basically an anime once.

Doom is pretty anime if you play the hentai wads

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm glad phantasium has picked a rather kawaii 1000 year old hill to die on.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

great now I'm apparently a pedo just for not knowing what the gently caress anime is supposed to be.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeff Gerstmann defined what anime is and who it's for about a decade ago, anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordja posted:

Jeff Gerstmann defined what anime is and who it's for about a decade ago, anyway.

Also recommended the best anime programs: Polar Bear Cafe and the one where the woman eats dinner

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I am finally perfectly orbicular. But at what cost...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Welcome to the anime corner

watch ping pong and chihayafuru

that concludes this edition of the anime corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

watch tatami galaxy

• Locked thread