Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've been meaning to try something nutty for Darkest Hour like this:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/all-in-one-mod.688946/

My only issue with Total Realism is that I like it when things go ahistorically off the rails a bit.

I have never played another HOI game -- and I'm not about to start now!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
thx for ruining my friday night :3:

i love the gary grisby casualty / equipment style stuff going on. I need wargames to hold my hand and say, yes, a destroyer division is 5 destroyers, a marine division is 18000 peeps and 108 or whatever artillery pieces. this CAS air wing is 100 jets

my only complaint is the nuclear. the nuclear is lacking.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the fallout mod is still in dev but i don't think the latest beta is linked from the main post. you can get it from the current dev's sig though i.e. in this post

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Baloogan posted:

thx for ruining my friday night :3:

i love the gary grisby casualty / equipment style stuff going on. I need wargames to hold my hand and say, yes, a destroyer division is 5 destroyers, a marine division is 18000 peeps and 108 or whatever artillery pieces. this CAS air wing is 100 jets

my only complaint is the nuclear. the nuclear is lacking.

I actually like how the COIN games explicitly reject this- the design notes for Andean Abyss note that pieces represent not just raw numbers of men but their organization, leadership, training, and morale. So a guerilla ambush that wipes out two police units can represent an bombing that causes police to avoid trouble spots and be less effective, or a government sweep/assault representing rounding up the ringleaders and disrupting operations rather than destroying guerilla cells to the last man

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Getting back into Combat Mission a bit (though gently caress you Battlefront, I'm not paying $10 for the 4.0 "engine upgrade" that lets me peek around loving corners) and reading through Generation Internet's Black Sea participatory LP. In his OP he lists a few other goon games... was there ever actually one for Fortress Italy? If not that's a shame, since it's probably my favorite CM title just for sheer variety of nations represented (and for hilariously bad Italian tankettes).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Most there was was some goon v goon pbem I think.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Drone posted:

Getting back into Combat Mission a bit (though gently caress you Battlefront, I'm not paying $10 for the 4.0 "engine upgrade" that lets me peek around loving corners) and reading through Generation Internet's Black Sea participatory LP. In his OP he lists a few other goon games... was there ever actually one for Fortress Italy? If not that's a shame, since it's probably my favorite CM title just for sheer variety of nations represented (and for hilariously bad Italian tankettes).

Fortress Italy is amazing.
I would be playing it more except for that fact that upon upgrading my computer recently, I have incurred the wrath of Battlefront's absolutely archaic/loving unbelievable decision to lock me out of the game despite re-inputting my code, due to an error that their costumer service hasn't been able to fix :suicide:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You should be pitching as big a fit as humanly possible. Constant emails or forums threads. Demand a fix or a refund (even if you've had your products for years) because you literally cannot play your hundreds of dollars of their games. Threaten to put them and their poo poo system on blast.

Can they not revoke install tokens or whatever on their side? Seriously, be as much a pain in their rear end as possible because, somehow, they are the worst company in the genre.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

How many activations do you get per key anyway? After I reinstalled Windows on my PC, I had to reinstall/reactivate my games, and over this weekend I just installed CMBS and CMFI to my laptop as well without any issues.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I sort of want to buy one of the Combat Mission games, but the lovely DRM and 'charge for patches' model is just too offputting. :smith:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fintilgin posted:

I sort of want to buy one of the Combat Mission games, but the lovely DRM and 'charge for patches' model is just too offputting. :smith:

I think you're making too much of it and avoiding a fun sim just because this thread is so negative. I have had zero problems with their DRM and you don't have to buy engine upgrades, actual patches are free.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Alikchi posted:

Revolution Under Siege Gold is also pretty good if you have any interest in 1917 or the Russian Civil War.

I have plenty more of interest in 1917 and the Russian Revolution. Not so much the counterrevolution though. In fact, as far as actual wars go it's up there with the Boer War on my list of fairly uninteresting conflicts to play out in a game.

Did AGEOD manage to make it a compelling military conflict?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nenonen posted:

I think you're making too much of it and avoiding a fun sim just because this thread is so negative. I have had zero problems with their DRM and you don't have to buy engine upgrades, actual patches are free.

You do if you have something that isn't windows xp

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I have plenty more of interest in 1917 and the Russian Revolution. Not so much the counterrevolution though. In fact, as far as actual wars go it's up there with the Boer War on my list of fairly uninteresting conflicts to play out in a game.

Did AGEOD manage to make it a compelling military conflict?

Not really. If anything it feels like faceless mobs of Imperials fighting faceless mobs of Soviets all across a giant, fairly boring, map. I don't have much connection, nor do I recognize any names like I do with the WW1 or TYW pack. Like you said in regards to the Boer war, it just doesn't grab me as interesting.

Combat Mission talk, the games are fun, definitely worth at least trying the demo. I have Win10, no issues with DRM for me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Nenonen posted:

It's more like the last straw sort of deal. And I did have some DRM issues with Strategic Command at one point.

But I might still get Italy when they complete the upgrade for it. Maybe. I'm tempted. I dunno. I'm loving terrible at the demo. :lol:

I was actually weighing getting one of Tiller's Squad Battles games instead, since I feel more at home with the 'board game' feel anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Man the CMFI demo was just impenetrable for me for some reason. Not in terms of "how do I play this game", but "how do I not get slaughtered completely."

Wasn't that the scenario where you spawned at the very corner of the map alongside a road with woods to your left and a wide open space to your right, and a town with a churchtower that meant you'd get immediately sniped/machine gun'd into oblivion?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Nenonen posted:

You also have to save the install files somewhere, because the download link expires after a year and they want 5 dollars to renew it. Because that's how digital distribution works in 2017.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Man the CMFI demo was just impenetrable for me for some reason. Not in terms of "how do I play this game", but "how do I not get slaughtered completely."

Wasn't that the scenario where you spawned at the very corner of the map alongside a road with woods to your left and a wide open space to your right, and a town with a churchtower that meant you'd get immediately sniped/machine gun'd into oblivion?

Yup!

gently caress that map!

I won with like, 4 dudes left and it was a loving tactical victory or someshit.

edit: I assert that map is bullshit because based on the "one platoon per assault" rule of thumb there is literally not enough platoons to assault all the strong points or whatever.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GhostDog posted:

You also have to save the install files somewhere, because the download link expires after a year and they want 5 dollars to renew it. Because that's how digital distribution works in 2017.

This is actually not true. I redownloaded my stuff yesterday for the first time in nearly 2 years.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Huh. Maybe they changed it. Nevermind then.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Please don't give money to AGEOD.

Or like 90% of this industry, really.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Lichtenstein posted:

AGEOD only got my money for CW and CW2, and then only because they're the only company to have made a halfway decent operations/strategic ACW game--ever.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've had problems with CM drm crap before and you just need to open a ticket with them to get a fix. They'll attach a tool to to the ticket for download which will remove the game key from their DRM on your system and then after that you can reuse your keys for the game. They usually respond pretty fast and once you have the tool thing it is pretty easy. It's just a shame that they still use this terrible system when there are obviously better options.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Thank you thread for recommending the Kaiserreich mod for Darkest Hour. It crashes more than I'd like, but I chalk that up to running it in a jerry-rigged windowed setup. It is good fun and by far the best deal I've gotten out of something for $2.29.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lichtenstein posted:

AGEOD offer free patches, often for years after release; the only drm they use is a simple serial number; and they are not, as far as I know, fascists. A better choice to support than many grog companies imho

Their games are bad but that's beside the point :)

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I actually really like AJE and TYW, despite how lovely they are. I'm the problem.

I have Civil War 2 and it seems like a mess, but I'm going to give it another shot before I shelve it.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Soon. Soon I'll get to play with my new toys, not just make them.
Yeah, an AA rating of 208 is too good for this thing, I think I made the 37mm FlaK a bit too close to the 40mm Bofors.
Also 50 Durability might be a bit low, but then again, 12k tons isn't that much even for a CA, and the armor is a bit meh.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Caconym posted:

Yeah, an AA rating of 208 is too good for this thing, I think I made the 37mm FlaK a bit too close to the 40mm Bofors.
Also 50 Durability might be a bit low, but then again, 12k tons isn't that much even for a CA, and the armor is a bit meh.

Make a Ticonderoga class missile cruiser next.

Or Iowa 1991 refit

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Make a Ticonderoga class missile cruiser next.

Or Iowa 1991 refit

I've spent quite enough time on navypedia and navweaps alrady tyvm. :colbert:
No, I just want a few more toys in my bathtub and to sink the Royal Navy.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Caconym posted:

Just don't be like my current Focus Pacific opponent, who is a good player, but walked a German commerce raider straight into Arizona and Nevada (he went with the Philippines opening) in mid-January.

Spoiler alert: It turns out Graff Spee doesn't last long fighting even slow old American battleships at night.

Believe me, from my perspective, it was beautiful.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You should be pitching as big a fit as humanly possible. Constant emails or forums threads. Demand a fix or a refund (even if you've had your products for years) because you literally cannot play your hundreds of dollars of their games. Threaten to put them and their poo poo system on blast.

Can they not revoke install tokens or whatever on their side? Seriously, be as much a pain in their rear end as possible because, somehow, they are the worst company in the genre.

I think I got it figured out, their key revoking tool wasn't doing anything because I'm stuck in the godless realm of WINDOWS 8.1.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Just don't be like my current Focus Pacific opponent, who is a good player, but walked a German commerce raider straight into Arizona and Nevada (he went with the Philippines opening) in mid-January.

Spoiler alert: It turns out Graff Spee doesn't last long fighting even slow old American battleships at night.

Believe me, from my perspective, it was beautiful.

:wtc:
NOW I learn what Focus Pacific really is.

Welp, I'll play my own expanded Scen 2 if it kills me.
I even made stole found art for italian Ro.43 float planes, now I'll bloody well see them in game.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
When someone asks me if I've spent money on AGEOD games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VomBuudIDsM

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Nenonen posted:

Yeah I still really like Combat Mission despite the annoying Battlefront fuckery. I've never had any trouble with the DRM or anything really. I'm going to say nice things about Combat Mission in the grog games thread:

a) They're grog games that are actually fun to play and watch
b) They can even look good and be pretty cinematic, especially with graphic and sound mods
c) The games are stable, don't crash, and run well for me, which is saying a lot for this genre. Compared to AGEOD Thirty Years War, which is an interesting game but crashes a lot and runs far worse than CM, despite it being a goddamn board game with a 2D map. Or compared to Scourge of War, which runs like garbage, not because of a bunch of complex AI calculations or numbers of units or anything, but because of the goddamn trees. If I press T to turn the trees off, it runs really smooth even with a gigantic battle going on. Just a small handful of 2D tree sprites brings my computer to its knees for some bizarre reason. Combat Mission runs really well for me even with really dense terrain and large maps and battalions of troops running around blowing each other up. It still has glitchy shaders, it's not perfect, and doesn't run like some big budget fancy game, but it's good.

Lichtenstein posted:

What's the 10% that you do like?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Kenzie posted:

a) They're grog games that are actually fun to play and watch
b) They can even look good and be pretty cinematic, especially with graphic and sound mods
There's a few people doing really great, and very cinematic, battles on YouTube. You never see the orders layer, it's just edited footage from the combat itself. I'd agree that if you remove the customer service/drm issues it's a pretty decent game. I just wish it wasn't so micro-managey at times. I'd love to be able to task an HQ Command Ops style and see it done in a half-rear end competent way. Some of the scenarios become horrid clickfests.

quote:

What's the 10% that you do like?

WarfareSims (CMANO people)
VR Designs (Decisive Campaigns People)
Panther Games (Command Ops)
Q Switched Games (Children of a Dead Earth dude)
2 by 3 Games (Grigsby)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Graviteam > CM

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Yooper posted:

WarfareSims (CMANO people)
VR Designs (Decisive Campaigns People)
Panther Games (Command Ops)
Q Switched Games (Children of a Dead Earth dude)
2 by 3 Games (Grigsby)

...this list checks out, honestly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Graviteam > CM

Yep, if you want a more cinematic and less micro managing CM it's Graviteam.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Looks like today is the day I learn what Graviteam Tactics is. gently caress yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yooper posted:

There's a few people doing really great, and very cinematic, battles on YouTube. You never see the orders layer, it's just edited footage from the combat itself.

Link to these people?