Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

People can form emotional connections to things for all sort of bullshit reasons tbh. I definitely don't think that means anything with regards to how good a show is.

Right, and calling out the ways the show might come up short is healthy; if those people engage that criticism with ad hominem attacks, then you know the quality of those reasons. Until that happens, though (EDIT: and I'm not saying it hasn't, but as far as I've seen it's been the occasional fringe case and not something endemic, at least not here), I feel like it's best to assume good faith. If fans can miss (or willfully blind themselves to) what holds a show back, then it logically follows that detractors can miss what propels a show forward.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

People can form emotional connections to things for all sort of bullshit reasons tbh. I definitely don't think that means anything with regards to how good a show is.

You're kind of insisting there's some kind of objective truth here only you are privy to and it's really pissing me off.

I have always admitted JJ has flaws, but I really like the way that story is told.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Arist posted:

You're kind of insisting there's some kind of objective truth here only you are privy to and it's really pissing me off.

I have always admitted JJ has flaws, but I really like the way that story is told.

Well let's be fair: it's his truth. We all have personal reactions to what we see and sometimes it can be hard to express that. Don't feed into his negative perceptions by attacking him with a tone argument (which, admittedly, accounts for half the arguments I have).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

That doesn't sound very healthy on your part.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DivisionPost posted:

Well let's be fair: it's his truth. We all have personal reactions to what we see and sometimes it can be hard to express that. Don't feed into his negative perceptions by attacking him with a tone argument (which, admittedly, accounts for half the arguments I have).

I shouldn't have to defend my right to like something. Me saying "thing you like is bad" is annoying isn't a tone argument. Why does he even care?

Escobarbarian posted:

That doesn't sound very healthy on your part.

Oh, shut up.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm just talking about my own personal opinion dude. You seriously gotta calm down.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm just talking about my own personal opinion dude. You seriously gotta calm down.

I'm not actually that annoyed, because I'm used to it at this point, but you just have a tendency to post some incredibly patronizing bullshit. I get that it's your opinion, but can you at least try not to frame it in the most condescending way possible?

e: I guess this is a tone argument now, but it's over and over with you, man.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 20, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I missed the classic CC slapfights. Anyway it's just a TV show stop being a baby

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Man I missed the classic CC slapfights. Anyway it's just a TV show stop being a baby

Only if you stop with the whiny Occ poo poo whenever someone mentions a show you don't like.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please feel free to quote any of these supposedly whiny posts

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I didn't care for Jessica Jones, anyone wanna slapfight about it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is it because you hate women or because you hate white people?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Stop whining IRQ!!!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Whiny" might have been the wrong word, I admit, but my point was you have a tendency to jump into these arguments and indirectly insult people for liking loving TV shows. I'm done arguing this.

IRQ posted:

I don't care who likes it, every time Esco brings it up it's the most patronizing poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Is it because you hate women or because you hate white people?

It can't be both?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

It can't be both?

I'd prefer that, more for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sooooo......anyone else watching Crashing? Still sort of on the fence about it, although each episode has a bunch of funny moments.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Never heard of it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Crashing was ruined for me by Hollywood Handbook.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Lurdiak posted:

Well sure, everyone knew as soon as Punisher was involved in Daredevil that it was a backdoor pilot kind of situation.

At least Punisher's tendency to loving murder his enemies means they might not make him chase the same guy for 13 episodes, again.

I thought it was more of a test balloon. Like, Marvel/Netflix didn't want to commit to it until they saw the reception of the character. They didn't announce Punisher would be its own series until a few weeks after season 2 of Daredevil.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hey remember how nearly every single Netflix title sequence sucks rear end? Good news!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/17/technology/netflix-skip-intro-button/index.html

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

When is Netflix going to start including DVD only features such as commentary, deleted scenes and making of videos?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

Hey remember how nearly every single Netflix title sequence sucks rear end? Good news!

I will never skip this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIdFa1qLgNQ

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I hate this so, so much.

Yeah, I'm probably dead inside. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GreenNight posted:

When is Netflix going to start including DVD only features such as commentary, deleted scenes and making of videos?

Almost certainly never, as that would destroy one of the only reasons people still buy physical media and the studios would break out the pitchforks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah but Netflix could easily offer it for their own shows. I'd rewatch Jessica Jones for a Kristin Ritter commentary.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I always loved the Songify bits schmoyoho made about the news so this was kinda cool. :sigh: Still need to get around to watching this at some point. In the time I got one weekend, I did Orange is the New Black instead and regretted it immediately. I don't respond to shows where the main character and most of the cast are not a likable people. Just sours me on humanity for a bit. I watched all of season one waiting to love it as much as everyone else did, if I was missing something, but nope, not for me. The same thing happened with Girls too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Timby posted:

Almost certainly never, as that would destroy one of the only reasons people still buy physical media and the studios would break out the pitchforks.

Do the DVD sets of Orange is the New Black and House of Cards have special features?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but Netflix could easily offer it for their own shows. I'd rewatch Jessica Jones for a Kristin Ritter commentary.

This but for BoJack

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

Two posts above are very good except I would argue Killgrave wasn't great after they completely showed their hand with him in ep 8.

Seconding this. Kilgrave was only a good villain at first because they didn't show much of him, and the more screentime and backstory he got the less interesting he became.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

UKS is basically why I said only nearly all of them sucked.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

This is cool because I've got a weird thing for pre-title cold opens; to me, there's something about the way a show will go right into a story and let a killer line or moment lead into an awesome theme song (The Wire was actually pretty good at this, along with everything else), or Breaking Bad having what were, for all intents and purposes, mood-setting short films before its titles.

So Netflix already jumps past titles automatically if you're binging, but it can't do that if there are any cold opens on the show you're watching, and I always kind of worried that this could phase out cold opens to make room for a more "streaming-friendly" structure to programming. A "Skip Intro" button could go a long way in easing that burden on the creative.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Except that is kinda the purpose of a lot of entertainment, is to get the audience emotionally invested in something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DivisionPost posted:

This is cool because I've got a weird thing for pre-title cold opens; to me, there's something about the way a show will go right into a story and let a killer line or moment lead into an awesome theme song (The Wire was actually pretty good at this, along with everything else), or Breaking Bad having what were, for all intents and purposes, mood-setting short films before its titles.

Yeah, Breaking Bad was good about it. They have one of the better title sequences too, a less than thirty second title card and an iconic guitar riff, and on to the rest of the episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm binging Shameless on Netflix right now and its actually kind of annoying that it skips past the intro and moves right to the next episode because Shameless has both cute little pre-title segments and the occasional mid credits scene. I'd actually kind of like an option to make it go wire to wire before it moves on.

Ideally there'd just be "skip ahead" kind of button that jumps you right past the titles/credits if you're not interested.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I was initially interested based on the cast but it's a David E. Kelley show and he isn't really good anymore and reviews all said the cast was the only good thing

Oh poo poo, that sucks I loved Picket Fences and Boston Public a lot. Like a LOT, those shows were way ahead of their time.

I'm gonna ask again since nobody ever answered before: was thirtysomething ever good/does it hold up?

e: talking of Netflix and intros, when I binged Halt and Catch Fire S3 Netflix never skipped the intro, which is great because seriously that intro is boss as gently caress

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

Oh poo poo, that sucks I loved Picket Fences and Boston Public a lot. Like a LOT, those shows were way ahead of their time.

I'm gonna ask again since nobody ever answered before: was thirtysomething ever good/does it hold up?

e: talking of Netflix and intros, when I binged Halt and Catch Fire S3 Netflix never skipped the intro, which is great because seriously that intro is boss as gently caress

It's seriously one of the best works of modern graphic design and it was for a loving tv show. I adore H&CF's intro, it says EVERYTHING, it's about an idea being refined, or leaving your friends and going out on your own, however you want to interpret it, it most likely works. Then the wafers start lighting up, it's hard lines vector type art with this bit of ugliness and imperfection to it that makes it reminiscent of TRON or something once the beam of light starts shooting in a straight line with the faintest clouds moving past the camera in the foreground. It does all this under 30 seconds, not some drawn out 2 minute orchestrated dolly shot slog of a bunch of server rooms fading into PCBs

I love everything about it. it's perfect.

EDIT: ahh gad drat the music too. The little deetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeetdeets right at the end.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To say nothing of how good the music is.

DUH DUM
DUH DUM
DUH DUM
beepbeepboopboopbeepbeep
DUH DUM
DUH DUM

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Penelope Cruz is playing Donatella Versace on the new American Crime Story. If wonder if this is an Emmy grab for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Man, these Mass Effect memes just keep getting weirder looking

• Locked thread