Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

survivalstrategy posted:

With cover letter and resume, my submissions are 3-4 pages, depending on how much is asked for on the posting. I always submit covers, try my best to target specific people for attentions, mention as many points from the posting (reworded) in relation to my own experience, and stress that

Those are good things to do, but 3-4 pages is too long. Cover letter one page (if even needed) and resume one page for the work you are targeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

survivalstrategy posted:

I'm just at a complete loss. I've never experienced this kind of non-response before. If it will help, I'd be willing to share my cover / resume for critique. I'm trying to just tell myself that job hunting is just like that, you just keep trying until someone bites. But it's probably something that I'm not doing! :(
Yes, do this and post it please.

pumped up for school posted:

Those are good things to do, but 3-4 pages is too long. Cover letter one page (if even needed) and resume one page for the work you are targeting.
A 2-page resume is actually fairly common in Canada. I agree that 4 pages in total is too long, but a cover letter plus a 2-page resume isn't going to get you immediately binned unless it otherwise sucks. That said, shorter is often better too -- we'd have to see the resume to figure out for sure.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 24, 2017

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

survivalstrategy posted:

Hi everyone! I recently moved to Calgary, AB from Winnipeg, MB (Canada), due to my husband's job (he got a promotion).
[...]
I realize I've moved to a city that is experiencing a recession and is in the middle of bouncing back,
[...]
I'm just at a complete loss. I've never experienced this kind of non-response before. If it will help, I'd be willing to share my cover / resume for critique. I'm trying to just tell myself that job hunting is just like that, you just keep trying until someone bites. But it's probably something that I'm not doing! :(

I can't really give any advice about your input to your job hunt, but having recently left Calgary because I couldn't even get a call back anywhere, I got one rejection email and that was almost worth celebrating, is to keep your chin up. Its brutal. Talking with my friends back home, I only know one person who was hired in their field recently. Everyone else is either going back to school or settling for a job with lower pay or no growth capacity.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A recruiter got in touch with my wife about a position at an office in our city. She has done a few interviews at their firm here as well as at least one (but I think two) interviews at their HQ a couple hours away. These were spread out over the first half of February and from what she told me it sounds like they went well. During Valentine's week, her recruiter asked her to provide references (seven :psyduck:) to send over to the firm, which my wife did promptly. The recruiters claims to have sent them over the Friday after Valentine's, and told her to wait a week. "A week" was last Friday, and nothing new has come up. We can't seem to agree on what she should do:

I'm of the opinion that she should contact the firm directly, and see if they need any more information and (more importantly) to reaffirm her interest and enthusiasm in the company and the position. My wife has also, on more than one occasion, called her recruiter an idiot and wondered how much she should rely on him, so why not skip the middleman if it's your career on the line?

Her opinion is that she should be patient and wait it out, as she does not want to breach protocol and doesn't want to come off as desperate. Obviously they haven't begun salary negotiations with her, and her fear is that she will be seen as weak and command a lower starting pay. She also has a professional mentor/contact who we hung out with yesterday and who said she should approach it this way.

How would you all handle this? She has an offer from another company, and while it's not the one either of us want (lower pay range and we'd have to move) it means that she doesn't need the local offer to come through; she'd rather take either of these than what she has now and both would pay way better for her. The only caveat is that she told this lesser offer that she'd have an answer to them by Friday, hence my feeling that she should take the initiative. What do you think?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
How verboten is it to take an interview after you've accepted a job offer? In a working community where everyone knows everyone, how likely would the discovery of this be to cause offense, and what would be the response of the company that extended the offer?

Natty Ninefingers fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 28, 2017

survivalstrategy
Oct 19, 2012

Let's see how many people you can kill with the power of love.
Hey everyone, back with some great news: after posting my frustrations last week, I received three interview calls. I interviewed all day Friday and two of the three companies were very interested in me, setting up second interviews and moving forward with some aggressiveness, or at least that's how it seemed to me when I did a first interviews on Friday and was asked to do second interviews Monday.

One of the companies ended up impressing me more than the other one and fit a lot of my criteria. What ended up happening was that instead of a second interview panel, the people who sat in ended up being introduced as "some key people you will be working with" and it took me a few minutes to process that this wasn't a second interview really, it was just a formal meeting that ended with them offering me the position! We are going through the paperwork / background checking process and I was given an official 24hrs courtesy to think things over, but as of tomorrow, I will formally accept the position. :woop: :woop: :woop:

Thanks to everyone who offered advice or some pep! I'm so relieved! :woop:

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
What do recruiters think about non-accredited online courses for relevant job skills? Are they worth doing and how should I present them on my CV?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Today in job application hell:

A question requiring a Vine video response. Vine closed in January.

An application that closed 6 hours early.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

8 Ball posted:

What do recruiters think about non-accredited online courses for relevant job skills? Are they worth doing and how should I present them on my CV?

Sometimes you have to work with what you've got. If you have a bunch of relevant experience, maybe mention it in an interview as a way to keep relevant rather than your actual accreditation on the subject.

If you're me:
I was hired on one phone interview alone for a job I had no direct prior experience in. The online job description was basically *generic company bullshit* + niche subject, electronics, software tools. The knowledge I gained from watching 40 hours of NASA-sponsored video lectures on niche subject and working through video tutorials for a software made me absolutely kill it in an interview.

That said, I didn't represent what I learned as knowledge bestowed upon me by schooling, rather just things I knew because I liked to study and their needs were important to me.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I wish interviews weren't so sparse. I started applying when I graduated last May. Had no interviews for months then had 6 between November and January. Now haven't had one since early January.

Trying to keep my spirits up and keep applying but holy getting an entry level lab job seems impossible at this point. Plus the more time that passes between graduation and now just makes me think I'll get passed over even faster.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My hospital lab is still hiring if you're interested in a medical lab for some experience.

E: sorry thought this was the Boston thread

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

BadSamaritan posted:

My hospital lab is still hiring if you're interested in a medical lab for some experience.

E: sorry thought this was the Boston thread

Sent you a PM

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

survivalstrategy posted:

Hey everyone, back with some great news: after posting my frustrations last week, I received three interview calls. I interviewed all day Friday and two of the three companies were very interested in me, setting up second interviews and moving forward with some aggressiveness, or at least that's how it seemed to me when I did a first interviews on Friday and was asked to do second interviews Monday.

One of the companies ended up impressing me more than the other one and fit a lot of my criteria. What ended up happening was that instead of a second interview panel, the people who sat in ended up being introduced as "some key people you will be working with" and it took me a few minutes to process that this wasn't a second interview really, it was just a formal meeting that ended with them offering me the position! We are going through the paperwork / background checking process and I was given an official 24hrs courtesy to think things over, but as of tomorrow, I will formally accept the position. :woop: :woop: :woop:

Thanks to everyone who offered advice or some pep! I'm so relieved! :woop:

Glad to hear things worked out as I'n in almost the exact same situation with the same type of experience (office manager/admin assistant, just moved from San Jose to San Diego). Every job wants to pay way too little, even the ones that require a degree (I have one in business management). Almost right away I had an interview for my absolute dream job, and they brought me in for 3 interviews total... And then rejected me. To add insult to injury, a day later, I noticed the job ad posted again with reduced pay (although still within the range I wanted). So not only did I not get the job, someone else wasn't picked over me - they just didn't want me at all. That was crushing.

I'm still getting interviews, but it's getting harder and harder to keep up the motivation to keep applying. Now it just seems like any job I'm excited about is an opportunity for disappointment. And I'm having trouble finding things I want to apply for - I feel overqualified for all the entry level jobs, but my lack of HR or bookkeeping experience (or any specialty) blocks me off from most better ones. That's what I get for working for a small business for so long - I became too much of a generalist.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Does anyone have some nice-ish Indesign resume/CV templates they like?

I've been looking for something just a bit nicer than Word to work off, and I've got a little bit of InDesign skill under my belt, so I figured there must be some nice go-to ones people in this thread would rate.

A lot of the ones on google are explicitly targeted at creatives, and have a lot of those skill competency pie charts, which I find a little weird. I just want a nice looking page to put words on.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I know that the OP has "don't call back" as a cardinal rule but man, it is frustrating. Companies in this area are bad about telling you anything. You can have a positive interview, lots of interest and they may say "We'll call you when we've made a decision" but what ALWAYS follows is silence. Seriously, Is it that hard to call and tell me I didn't get the job?

I think the worse one was when a truck company asked me to make some sample graphics for their flyers. The didn't even acknowledge that they received them. No thank you, just nothing.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 9, 2017

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Brain In A Jar posted:

Does anyone have some nice-ish Indesign resume/CV templates they like?

I've been looking for something just a bit nicer than Word to work off, and I've got a little bit of InDesign skill under my belt, so I figured there must be some nice go-to ones people in this thread would rate.

A lot of the ones on google are explicitly targeted at creatives, and have a lot of those skill competency pie charts, which I find a little weird. I just want a nice looking page to put words on.

Mine's InDesign, unfortunately my computer that has InDesign installed on it died and it was a student license which is now expired so I can't transfer it to my new computer.

InDesign resumes are great assuming the jobs you're applying to accept PDF resumes. You're probably still going to need a backup Word version for those that do not accept PDFs.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

I know that the OP has "don't call back" as a cardinal rule but man, it is frustrating. Companies in this area are bad about telling you anything. You can have a positive interview, lots of interest and they may say "We'll call you when we've made a decision" but what ALWAYS follows is silence. Seriously, Is it that hard to call and tell me I didn't get the job?

I think the worse one was when a truck company asked me to make some sample graphics for their flyers. The didn't even acknowledge that they received them. No thank you, just nothing.

This has happened to me a lot. They lay out a timeline of when they will contact and then literal silence. I've even called and emailed and never hear anything. It's super degrading

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have someone review my resume for grammar, sentence structure, all that. I think I have all the relevant information in there so I don't need a total resume writing service, just someone who better at words than me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

life is a joke posted:

Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have someone review my resume for grammar, sentence structure, all that. I think I have all the relevant information in there so I don't need a total resume writing service, just someone who better at words than me.
just post it here

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Oh ok, I thought that would be against the rules for some reason :shobon: I'll edit out some stuff and post thtnks.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I currently work for a wireless company and am applying for a district management position in another state. I am required to apply through our website which will go to HR and then to the Regional Manager. These are all sales positions.

Should my resume be an average of my numbers for the past 3/6/12 months and any accomplishments I made in that time? Should I even include my previous jobs? Is this situation as complicated as I'm making it? I'm not a known quantity in the region I'm applying.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

dkj posted:

I currently work for a wireless company and am applying for a district management position in another state. I am required to apply through our website which will go to HR and then to the Regional Manager. These are all sales positions.

Should my resume be an average of my numbers for the past 3/6/12 months and any accomplishments I made in that time? Should I even include my previous jobs? Is this situation as complicated as I'm making it? I'm not a known quantity in the region I'm applying.
Yes, include your accomplishments. Yes, include your previous jobs. Treat it like you're applying for a job with any other company.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

Yes, include your accomplishments. Yes, include your previous jobs. Treat it like you're applying for a job with any other company.

Thank you.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Does anyone have experience with this recruiting firm? http://revealglobal.com/

I was contacted by them via a colleague for a job in the states, and wonder how seriously I should take them.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

creatine posted:

I wish interviews weren't so sparse. I started applying when I graduated last May. Had no interviews for months then had 6 between November and January. Now haven't had one since early January.

Trying to keep my spirits up and keep applying but holy getting an entry level lab job seems impossible at this point. Plus the more time that passes between graduation and now just makes me think I'll get passed over even faster.

I'd start changing up my resume if that is the case. I noticed a huge increase in interviews I was getting after going in and changing out some things. Also it rains when it pours, I went 6 months without anything and then I had three solid interviews come in at the same time at three different companies that are world leaders in my industry.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 16, 2017

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Enigma89 posted:

I'd start changing up my resume if that is the case. I noticed a huge increase in interviews I was getting after going in and changing out some things.

Yeah I recently did this. Moved some stuff and reworded sections. It's also tough because I am looking for entry-level work in biology, and now the political climate is a little uneasy with regards to funding.

Also that the science field takes anywhere from 4 days to 8 weeks to respond to applications doesn't really help.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This isn't entirely related to interviews, but if you have contacts you can prevail on even for informational interviews - career tips and poo poo - use them. You never know how it'll turn out! Worst comes to worst you just get more advice to use or discard.

At best, well. I went for lunch yesterday with a few old coworkers at a company I used to intern at looking for advice on breaking into tech as a career and walked out with, barring disaster, a full time permanent job offer in September as a SysAdmin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dear company that called my wife to tell her they were preparing an offer letter: hurry up you fuckers :argh: No HR rep is scummy or incompetent enough to tell someone on the phone "we're writing up your offer right now" and then not actually write it up, are they? My wife got that call last Friday and the company has yet to get back to her.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

C-Euro posted:

Dear company that called my wife to tell her they were preparing an offer letter: hurry up you fuckers :argh: No HR rep is scummy or incompetent enough to tell someone on the phone "we're writing up your offer right now" and then not actually write it up, are they? My wife got that call last Friday and the company has yet to get back to her.

consider that perhaps the company's top priority isn't writing your wife's offer letter

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It's been less than a business day?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It was a week ago as of that post, they said "we're working on your offer!" on the 10th which seems like enough time to plug a name a maybe a pre-determined salary into your offer letter template. Plus if they end up not actually sending her this offer she has to scramble accept the other one on the table (already a few weeks old), and we'd have to move by May 1 for that one. It's just annoying and it has her (and thus me) on edge.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Hey goons,

I'm just getting out of college, graduated for fine arts, and wanted to do a skill trade job in painting. I get it's not a glorious high entry thing, but I still want to make sure I play my cards right and make a personal impression that gets me in the right direction. I don't have much experience writing resumes.... ECT.

Here's what the ad says:|
Custom Spray Painter - *Great for Auto Body
Art School Grads, Creative and Dependable Individuals Looking for Full-Time Work – We Want You!

DCL is a custom builder of architectural products (signage, light fixtures, other specialty elements) located at the Design Center building in South Boston, and we're looking for motivated and like-minded spray painters to join our 2nd Shift Paint department (2pm-10/12pm).

-----

In my initial email this is what's written:

Hi,
I’m a graduate of (insert my local art school). Having worked with spray cans, paints and various other materials I feel qualified based on my past experience and ease of using art products. I live locally, have an eye for color theory, color mixing, various paint methods and drying techniques. During college I volunteered at the Franklin Park Zoo, gaining experience working as a mural painter there, and have a studio I work in currently. There ‘s a lot I know about painting, and a lot I’m still willing to learn. I work physically, messy, and don’t mind the grime. I’m Looking for full-time work, can work holidays, over-time, and any days currently.

The resume isn't anything special typical nice format, intro paragraph. Is this an applicable direction to go in for this position? What do I add, take away for professionalism?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

C-Euro posted:

It was a week ago as of that post, they said "we're working on your offer!" on the 10th which seems like enough time to plug a name a maybe a pre-determined salary into your offer letter template. Plus if they end up not actually sending her this offer she has to scramble accept the other one on the table (already a few weeks old), and we'd have to move by May 1 for that one. It's just annoying and it has her (and thus me) on edge.
Just email or call HR with a gentle reminder. I had the same problem, the HR person simply forgot about it.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

C-Euro posted:

It sounds like both parties have done a poor job of managing each other's expectations. On there end, if they say they are writing up an offer and for whatever reason it gets delayed, then there is no good reason for them to not follow up. On the flip side, your wife should have set the expectation when the verbal offer was received that she has other interviews and possibly offers on the table and needs to make an informed decisions by x date or something to that effect. From the recruiter's side, I've had offers get delayed up to a week by red tape BS, but it was my job to keep the candidate warm while management got whatever sign off it needed.

Side note: I took a few months off from responding as I've been adjusting to (and getting my rear end kicked by) recruiting at a "large financial institution". Can now offer corporate recruiter advice as well as agency. It's a whole different ballgame here... Learning that like agency, there are good corp recruiters and bad ones, luckily a lot of good ones where I am.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Her recruiter has been checking in with her at least once a week throughout the whole process, which is nice. And I have told her to reach out to the company directly once or twice but she's convinced that she'll sound desperate if she goes to the company and says "hey where's that letter?", and that it'll hurt her during salary negotiations. I've told her that there is no salary to negotiate until they've put ink to paper :v:

At any rate they had her complete a form for a background check yesterday (again, why wait this long?) so things are moving again, and my employer took like a day or two to do mine so hopefully this gets done soon.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been using a resume that could potentially have sensitive numbers in my qualifications sections such as how much money I've saved my department, total money spent on projects etc. Numbers that my previous employer may find inappropriate to include in my resume. I've since taken those numbers out but with that same resume I've received interviews with some of the top companies in the US. However, I've also received a lot of rejections.... what are your thoughts on this?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I've been using a resume that could potentially have sensitive numbers in my qualifications sections such as how much money I've saved my department, total money spent on projects etc. Numbers that my previous employer may find inappropriate to include in my resume. I've since taken those numbers out but with that same resume I've received interviews with some of the top companies in the US. However, I've also received a lot of rejections.... what are your thoughts on this?

Can you use percentages instead?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah talking about a project that saved X percent or Y percent or had a payback time of Z months or whatever is pretty kosher.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Oh boy, just got an email for phone interview. It states that I will be phoned at some point next week and I cannot ask for any specific day/ time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dugong posted:

Oh boy, just got an email for phone interview. It states that I will be phoned at some point next week and I cannot ask for any specific day/ time.

Cool. To Voicemail it is.