Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've never had good McDonalds fries around here. I got them in South Carolina once and they were amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Haven't had Mcdonalds in at least 5 years. My business partner has never tried Taco Bell and only recently did he try Mountain Dew for the first time (not a fan).

My buddy used to eat taco bell multiple times a week just for Mt Dew Baja Blast (it was a TB exclusive for a while)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

How fun a film is to mock in inversely proportional to how long it is.

I'll admit to not understanding hate-watching any more than I would hate-eating, but, buddy, of all the things to not know about a movie in advance, they tell you how long it is on the cover.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

a pot with some oil in it?

Luckily I'm too lazy. I'd rather wait 18 minutes waiting for something to cook in the oven while I veg out than spend five minutes standing over the stove.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Confession: I eat taco bell at least twice a week. But I only ever get bean burritos, or sometimes chalupas with beans instead of beef.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I haven't had a Big Mac in ages, but I loving love science McDonald's breakfast. Even their lovely hash brown parties always hit the spot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Confession: I eat taco bell at least twice a week. But I only ever get bean burritos, or sometimes chalupas with beans instead of beef.
Taco Bell is one of those places I'll eat once a year, convince myself it's not as bad as I thought it was, get it a couple more times that week, realize I hate it and repeat the cycle the next year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

When I was in high school and was a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I lived off cheesy bean and rice burritos.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Filet-o-fish is alright, but Wendy's is better in terms of fast food fish. Plus, they make you pay extra if you're gross and want cheese on it. That used to be my go-to for Lent, except I decided to go vegetarian for Fridays since I love seafood and it's hardly giving up anything.

McDonald's isn't terrible, it's just mediocrity in a box. Five Guys is a joke. Especially in a world with Steak n' Shake. (Also, finally tried Shake Shake, but still need to try out Whataburger and In N' Out).

Taco Bell keeps putting out garbage instead of sticking to what they're good at like simple tacos and burritos. My go-to lunch there is the 7-layer burrito and dinner is usually the burrito bowl. Chipotle is too much drat food for one person.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm a fiend for Five Guys. Shame they're slightly too expensive. Gotta convince a friend to go to split the cost of fries and a drink.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
is it time for a pissing contest about who's the most revolted by fast food or are we chill because i'll bust a whopper any day you fat fucks

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm revolted by fast food when I'm not hungry.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

is it time for a pissing contest about who's the most revolted by fast food

it me

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Shockingly I really like local places, tend to avoid franchises for the most part. Research best food places of areas I will visit, rather then find the closest/easiest alternative. I have a problem, it tends to annoy people.

Actually a news organization here just did a study proving that the chicken in subway is more soy then chicken, subway was not happy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

Filet-o-fish is alright, but Wendy's is better in terms of fast food fish. Plus, they make you pay extra if you're gross and want cheese on it. That used to be my go-to for Lent, except I decided to go vegetarian for Fridays since I love seafood and it's hardly giving up anything.

Wendy's fish sandwiches are seriously a treat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, I'm gonna rant about this briefly, because it's a part of me that is just never going to go away.

McDonald's food is, or course, not that great. It's mass-produced, super-processed, and the portion sized keep getting smaller as the price keeps going up.

But one thing it is, is designed to be tasty. McDonald's has all kinds of procedures to help insure quality of the food. They use hot-holding cabinet system of rotating trays to "ensure" that food is always fresh. Through computer tracking of sale statistics, hourly production levels are generated. This tells the cooks how many patties they should cook at once. So if there are 4 trays in the cabinet, the assemblers (people who make sandwhiches) will always take out of the oldest tray of meat. Meat is only to be kept for 15 minutes. So during a slow hour, the production level might be like, 4 patties per tray. So the meat person will be constantly working, even though it's slow, to keep those trays full, since 2 mcdoubles will wipe out a tray. This ensures a constant rotation of fresh product. Yeah, a patty that was cooked 15 minutes ago isn't as good as one that was cooked 5 minutes ago, but it's still pretty darn good.

So why is McDonalds food so lovely? Well no one follows that system. If you have a really good manager in the morning/lunch shift, they will make you follow it. I've worked with maybe 3 managers over 8 years who cared about this. No matter how good you store, as soon as 2-3 oclock roles around the garbage slacker night shows up, and the first thing their manager does is "load up the cabinet". They don't use the rotating tray system. At 3-4pm, when business is really starting to die off, they put 16-32 pieces of meat in each tray so that they don't have to do any work for the next 3 hours. This has been true at 4 different stores that I have worked at.

And you can't do anything about it. Because if you crack down on that night manager, good luck finding someone to replace them.

That's at a good store.

At the worst store I ever worked at, things were much, much worse. McDonald's starts serving lunch at 10:30 am (this story predates the current 24 hour menu insanity). So we needed to have all of the fried chicken products up and ready to serve by 10:30. There's also a food safety procedure (haha), where all the food has to be temped and recorded in a log book. So any reasonably organized store will start cooking their fried products between 10 and 10:15. Fried products have more variable hold times than burger meat, but most of them were still 20-30 minutes. At this store, there was a manager who liked to start cooking fried products at 9:15 am. So by time they started being served, they were already over an hour old.

Corporate can train and make policy and formulate food as much as they want, but it doesn't matter because these are the types of people that work in fast food.

Even when you have an "A-team" that really cares about good service and food quality, say, 5-8 people including a manager or two. Sometimes even including the store manager, they can't do much to change the overall dynamic of "most people who work min wage fast food at lazy and incompetent". And the lazy people will band together if you try to make them the jobs they are being paid to do. People who try to actually do things like serve fresh food, quickly become the most hated "bitchy assholes" in the story, and everyone works to make their life a living hell until they either stop trying to make people do work, or they quick. I've seen it happen to good employees and good managers. Nepotism and favoritism are rampant.

And what's crazy is that McDonalds is one of the most efficient and optimized fast food places. Working at other fast food places is like a joke. McDonalds has production methods and communication systems designed for optimum efficiency. Other places have horribly inefficient systems and procedures. So I know the reasons why the place with the most efficient systems to get fresh food the custom still can't do it, getting fresh food anywhere else is an even slimmer shot.

tl;dr: only get fast food during peak rush hours, when the grill is struggling to keep up. It's your best chance of getting food that was cooked the same hour that you ordered it.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Mcdonalds I will not try again (or at least really make an effort). It never fills me up and makes me feel sad after, emotionally and such.

Wendys I like for fast food and a franchise up here called Harveys

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I once thought about fast food and literally died on the spot, that's how disgusted I am by pleb food.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I mean I eat fast food, but not franchise food, there is a difference.

E: plus why pay 10 bucks for a combo when I can get AYCE Indian lunch buffet?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I found out today that they are actually opening the first Taco Bell in The Netherlands at the end of the month, which will be in the city where I work and watch movies. I have a soft spot for Tex-Mex so I look forward to helping them win the Franchise Wars. Too long have we suffered under the reign of Pizza Hut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpRzusd9Yi8

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yo the double whopper with cheese is a thing of beauty. I wish I could buy the pickles they use at BK retail.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I was once in the same city as a Wienerschnitzel and a kale-eating witch hexed my entire family.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's probably one of my favorite details about Demolition Man.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Middle Eastern fast food is the best fast food. Like mega greasy kebabs and stuff.

Are there any big American chains that sell shawerma and/or Doner kebab?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 20, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo the double whopper with cheese is a thing of beauty. I wish I could buy the pickles they use at BK retail.

There's a reason He's the King.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This is interesting. As mediocre as McDonald's is, I've always praised its drive-thru efficiency. My average wait time at my normal Taco Bell is at least ten minutes. The McDonald's right next to it is like 90 seconds. And it's not for lack of customers, those guys just run a super tight ship.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah they really crack the whip at maccas.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

Nope.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My favorite part of The Founder was when they explained how they designed the original McDonald's restaurant on a tennis court. Here's a clip of it.

Edit: Uh, I mean The Founder, not The Fountain.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 20, 2017

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I once thought about fast food and literally died on the spot, that's how disgusted I am by pleb food.

My former friend, who is Chinese, used to give me constant poo poo for getting down with Panda Express. Because, you know, it's not authentic. Fair enough only she ate at Chipotle drat near daily and was totally oblivious to the cognitive dissonance.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

My former friend, who is Chinese, used to give me constant poo poo for getting down with Panda Express. Because, you know, it's not authentic. Fair enough only she ate at Chipotle drat near daily and was totally oblivious to the cognitive dissonance.

Did you ever point it out?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Criminal Minded posted:

What, you don't like sichuan chicken feet?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Middle Eastern fast food is the best fast food. Like mega greasy kebabs and stuff.

They are, but the local shawarma place around us has a stupid policy. if you order the plate they refuse to give you any vegetables on it (no turnips, tomatoes, eggplant, pickles, onions etc...) or even hummus and tahini. When you ask for it they get indignant and start berating you, need a new shawarma place. Yes the plate is just rice, chicken, and garlic sauce.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

MacheteZombie posted:

Did you ever point it out?

Several times to no avail. She'd just double down and "Whatever" me.

In retrospect she was an awful person and that was a pretty minor instance of her awfulness but boy was it annoying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Spatulater bro! posted:

What, you don't like sichuan chicken feet?

Chicken feet are loving legit.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
On the subject of fast food, does anyone have a good Subway in their area anymore? I find all the ones here use low quality meat and veggies and try and compensate for the poor taste by drowning everything in sauce.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

On the subject of fast food, does anyone have a good Subway in their area anymore? I find all the ones here use low quality meat and veggies and try and compensate for the poor taste by drowning everything in sauce.

No such thing exists.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Chicken feet are loving legit.

I'll take your word for it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Surprised Subway isn't out of business yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

Surprised Subway isn't out of business yet.

It's the largest restaurant chain in the world.

• Locked thread