Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ZTD was my favorite of the three, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think a coin was flipped, I guessed correctly, and got a game over screen. That's where my story ends.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I haven't played ZTD but I'm familiar with all of the memes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My favorite was 999, my least favorite was VLR, and ZTD landed in the middle. They're all good games, though, in the sense that I stayed up late multiple nights in a row desperately reading them to find out what happens next. Absolutely fun experiences, please play them! :D

(I didn't like VLR because I didn't grow to love the characters the way I did in 999, as it felt like everyone was a jerk or hiding something, whereas in 999, well, I liked a bunch of those folks.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

999, VLR, and ZTD are all awesome.

Yeah

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jay Rust posted:

I played about five minutes of the third one, and it was so ugly and artless that I couldn't go on. I think 3D anime has to be done very carefully or it'll look like trash.

FirstAidKite posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1CYJHPW.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/UgdDCU3.mp4

I didn't watch avatar but I think it had better animation

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I still think it was rather lovely of the people who made ZTD to put the last game in a trilogy on Steam, alone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lizard Wizard posted:

I still think it was rather lovely of the people who made ZTD to put the last game in a trilogy on Steam, alone.

At least they're fixing it!

... I was really happy they didn't stick it on the 3DS exclusively. Now with the whole trilogy on Steam I can gift it to my friends and be an obnoxious friend about it. "Read this it's good!"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Isn't it at least on 3DS and Vita as well though?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Based on second hand knowledge I have no idea what that show's actual quality is supposed to be.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

Isn't it at least on 3DS and Vita as well though?

Nobody owns a Vita though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

At least they're fixing it!

... I was really happy they didn't stick it on the 3DS exclusively. Now with the whole trilogy on Steam I can gift it to my friends and be an obnoxious friend about it. "Read this it's good!"

Playing 999 on a handheld kind of annoyed me for reasons and I think/hope the trilogy on Steam will fix the worst issues I had. I'm looking forward to them!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

999 on iOS doesn't have any of the room escapes. It's baffling to me.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Which is better between Galciv3 and Endless Space 2

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Help Im Alive posted:

What didn't you like about VLR

This is a very straightfoward question for me to answer, as I think can pinpoint the exact things I hated. The loading screens/hallway bullshit was not fun and felt like a waste of my very limited gaming time, the plot didn't grip me, the character models were ugly as poo poo compared to the 2d sprites, the environments were generic drab sci fi hallways, the game felt like it dragged on, it wasn't a satisfying experience overall

I don't know, I really did enjoy 999 and even got all the endings but I explicitly remember playing VLR for an hour or two a night when I was in grad school, and to this day regard it as a complete waste of my time. I wasn't sure if I was enjoying myself but I figured I beat 999, may as well power through

I did beat it and the end game twists were kinda neat, just so not worth the slow grind to the payoff and it totally turned me off playing the last game

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 20, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Baron Porkface posted:

Which is better between Galciv3 and Endless Space 2

i only played galciv 2 but if 3 is like that its better than most other games you could name

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

Playing 999 on a handheld kind of annoyed me for reasons and I think/hope the trilogy on Steam will fix the worst issues I had. I'm looking forward to them!

I can only play those kinds of games on handhelds, mostly because I play them in bed a lot, but also playing a VN style game on a TV/monitor just feels weird to me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm with you there, visual novels on a TV? Sounds uncomfortable

Though I also feel the same way about 80 hour turn based RPGs on a big TV

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Nobody owns a Vita though

I do. In fact I use it almost every day.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't decide if ARMS looks really dumb or if it's gonna be the next Splatoon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I do. In fact I use it almost every day.

alundra is the killer app for me can't get enough

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

alundra is the killer app for me can't get enough

Genuinely the best game Working Designs ever touched.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Visual novels and horror games are only allowed to be played at night

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I watched a streamer play through Alundra once and this is about all I remember:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Alundra was one of those games that I regularly contemplated picking up back during my Vita owning days, but never got around to it

I see now that was clearly a mistake

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its like if a link to the past hated you a lot and the bosses took a long time to kill. its good

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
on another note, hollow knight

it's a little easy on the combat (though I am barely two areas in and I am Really Trained in these types of games so ymmv), but aside from that it has got to be my favorite modern 2d metroidvania (Bloodborne/DS3 still hold the title for 3d metroidvania).

The art is incredible, the music is atmospheric, and the game is hitting all the notes I had expected it to, which is fantastic. Looking forward to see what the rest of the game is like.

Also I beat Hyper Light Drifter, aside from the aimless wandering it was a pro loving buy. Also I saw a lore video after and wow everything went over my head lololol, I pretty much missed the entire plot aside from "Collect shapes, find super shape, destroy nightmare enemy haunting you since the first scene"

E: I wish the game didn't "freeze" when you took damage in hollow knight though, it's so overly melodramatic with the shattering screen animation and gets in the way of the game flow but I guess it's not a big deal

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 20, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

its like if a link to the past hated you a lot and the bosses took a long time to kill. its good

WD actually reduced the amount of health the bosses had from the JP version :staredog:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Anime is a state of mind.

waifu, husbando, it's all in the mind

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

WD actually reduced the amount of health the bosses had from the JP version :staredog:

:staredog:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

I can only play those kinds of games on handhelds, mostly because I play them in bed a lot, but also playing a VN style game on a TV/monitor just feels weird to me.

I usually agree because I like playing those kinda games while I watch movies. Same with things like Prof. Layton or Phoenix Wright.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The White Dragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMMWwqwRggQ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The origin rerelease on PS4 made me think about Ys again so I'm replaying all the Vita ones (except I won't play 7 again because I don't remember particularly enjoying 7). I'm working on memories of celceta which is still fun moment to moment but I forgot the insane amount of resource bloat this game has between the 12 different ways you can improve weapons, the 3 different shops that can craft and the large party you need to equally level up and train by swapping out characters relatively frequently

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAjtmwhcdwk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

I usually agree because I like playing those kinda games while I watch movies. Same with things like Prof. Layton or Phoenix Wright.

That's crazy to me. I can understand watching movies while you're button-mashing in an action game or grinding XP in an RPG, but reading a story and watching a movie at the same time is super genius poo poo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
More like you're not really properly engrossed in either and are missing all sorts of vital story bits or other info

Trust me I do the same thing....

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

The origin rerelease on PS4 made me think about Ys again so I'm replaying all the Vita ones (except I won't play 7 again because I don't remember particularly enjoying 7). I'm working on memories of celceta which is still fun moment to moment but I forgot the insane amount of resource bloat this game has between the 12 different ways you can improve weapons, the 3 different shops that can craft and the large party you need to equally level up and train by swapping out characters relatively frequently

i like all the resources because there doesn't seem to be any need to worry about strategy in crafting, you just add all the things you have that make the numbers go up in all 12 categories or whatever and wreck some monsters

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought that galciv 2 was the worst 4x game I've ever played. Total garbage.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
also all those systems in YS Memories are a lot funner if you're playing the game on nightmare because advantages matter more

in fact, playing the game with normal difficulty on probably makes it a pretty bland experience, I played nightmare from the getgo and it felt more engrossing than mindlessly wrecking enemies in pretty, repetitive enviironments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

i like all the resources because there doesn't seem to be any need to worry about strategy in crafting, you just add all the things you have that make the numbers go up in all 12 categories or whatever and wreck some monsters

Yeah it's just overwhelming coming from the Origin/VI/Oath games. They even backed off that stuff in VIII a litttle bit. Or maybe I missed it because I can't read Japanese.

• Locked thread