Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

This is going to be great!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
No wami no wami no wami

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

no idea what to expect, or even how long it'll take. should be entertaining to get the big dawn reveal at the end, especially if it's another combatless session. but I don't know about that...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I wonder how closely you could guesstimate the number of chits on the board from how long adjudication takes. You'd have to control for a couple other variables ofc.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Good luck controlling for "he's decided to have his tea" or "someone just rang up asking him to do a rush job"...

By the way, here's a little preview!

That is (a) your 3rd Brigade; (b) a trench at top left; and (c) the end of the Movement Phase.

It was not expecting to find a trench there!

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 20, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

RIP 3bde, we hardly knew ye

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I tried to warn you about stumbling through the dark.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

looks like we're gonna have some fun down by the blob

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Something like this is what I was afraid of. We'd better not lose the entire brigade to whatever's waiting in the dark.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 20, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I guess if it's just an engineer or two things might work out, or if the people that made the entrenchments have gone elsewhere since. maybe! probably not! we'll find out soon!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If not this entire plan was for nothing.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

The Brits were just being good sports and setting up a defensive line for us, you'll see.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So that trench is on the British side I am guessing, somewhere between the forest and the river? Should we possibly check up north as ell when it comes to day light? We have already spotted some Armoured Cars so they could have or be bringing more troops to cover if not advance across the north.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

looking at the map i think that road is the one that lies south of the bois de blob on the west side of the river, which would put the trench on the southern face of the forest. but we'll find out shortly

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What puzzles me is why Trin would show us this in advance.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Probably because it's an interesting situation. Not only did they stumble upon a mystery trench, they also did so at the unlikely inopportune moment of end of turn. It perfectly encapsulates the night fighting clusterfuck.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Still strange that he would bother. He didn't do that last round, did he?

I'm going to have an ulcer when this round is over, haha.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Probably because there is nothing we can do about it and he did say that he went to get something to eat. SO it is something to excite/worry/annoy us while he finishes doing the write up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Hmm. I'll have to make sure I have a plan for whatever comes of this.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I say, Holmes! I do believe I've found a clue!

Flesnolk posted:

Still strange that he would bother. He didn't do that last round, did he?

And, if you'd care to inspect just along here...do you think the two happenings might be related?

quote:

I'm going to have an ulcer when this round is over, haha.

Oh, unquestionably, Watson. It's a quite elementary deduction, of course, but you're improving, you're improving! Now, I would draw your attention to the curious incident of the horse in the night-time...

(Update pending.)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah, he's just doing it to amuse himself, I believe. I think I saw him do this sort of ambiguous reveal once or twice as an observer last round but I can't remember who he did it to or why.

it certainly has provoked discussion!

edit: based on the above I think that we can specify a bit further: the method by which he is amusing himself is loving with our heads by giving us tantalizingly incomplete information, just enough for us to jump to amusing conclusions/second guessing/etc

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 20, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Dying in droves to establish obsolete intelligence of enemy positions is the sacred duty of the cavalry.

The real question is whether I hit one or two BEF divisions.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

Dying in droves to establish obsolete intelligence of enemy positions is the sacred duty of the cavalry.

The real question is whether I hit one or two BEF divisions.

Please refrain from picking BE(e)F without prior consultation with command

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
At least it isn't boring.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
You might ask, "Couldn't a few men with binoculars go and spot enemy positions without being seen?"

But could they do it with such stylish hats?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mossyfisk posted:

You might ask, "Couldn't a few men with binoculars go and spot enemy positions without being seen?"

But could they do it with such stylish hats?

That's one way to celebrate graduation.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Even the guy getting shot?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Even the guy getting shot?

He is scanning the horizon!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
You know what they say when you go off to war.

Come back with your horse, or on it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

fuckin :f5:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OK, OK, time to let you off the hook. I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc

Turn 25: 2000
Night falls
German initiative

Operation Sneaky Beaky Bridge begins.

The 3rd and 4th Brigades continue on their merry.

Turn 26: 2030
German initiative

The 3rd is, er, somewhere. (Get used to this, folks!)

Turn 27: 2100
German initiative

The 3rd thinks it's time to turn West.

The 4th approaches Stethoscope.

Turn 28: 2130
British initiative

The 3rd consults its map.

The 4th takes up positions around Stethoscope.

The 2nd fans out and begins digging.

Turn 29: 2200
German initiative

The 3rd is pretty sure that it should have arrived by now.

Turn 30: 2230
British initiative

The 3rd finds the road. Again.

Turn 31: 2300
British initiative

Er...

That's not gone well.

Turn 32: 2330
British initiative

The 3rd thinks it's sorted itself out now...

START OF DAY 2
Turn 33: 0000
British initiative

The 3rd nearly crashes right into the engineers, who have just appeared from an unexpected direction...

The engineering commander mutters some highly uncharitable sentiments about idiots with maps.

Turn 34: Day 2, 0030
German initiative

Nothing happens. People dig, the engineers build their bridge and wait to get shot at.

Turn 35: 0100
German initiative

The waiting goes on.

Turn 36: 0130
German initiative

This, incidentally, is the point at which we will be pausing for midnight orders the next time night comes around.

The bridge is finished! The engineers, without further orders, shuffle off to have a crafty fag and wait for the dawn.

Turn 37: 0200
British initiative

The 3rd Brigade rides boldly across the pontoon bridge...and then runs into something. It's moved too far too shoot on this turn! They hunker down and wait for the inevitable shitkicking to ensue...

But nobody came...

Turn 38: 0230
British initiative

The 3rd Brigade moves cautiously forward, into the trench.

The enemy engineer opens fire on you! A company is suppressed, and then you quickly shoot it down.

The eerie silence returns.

Turn 39: 0300
British initiative

The 3rd tries to pull itself together, and explores the rest of the trench, finding it clear of enemies.

[SCREENSHOT PENDING, APOLOGIES]

Turn 40: 0330
German initiative

Your trenches around Stethoscope are complete; the men redeploy.

The 3rd enters the Bois de Blob and attempts to clear it.

[SCREENSHOT PENDING]

Turn 41: 0400
German initiative

The 3rd reaches the end of its assigned route and falls back.

Turn 42: 0430
British initiative

The 3rd tries to adopt block formation; it doesn't go well.

Turn 43: 0500
British initiative

The 3rd achieves its block and settles down to dig and wait for the morning.

(Note: I flipped a coin to decide whether the brigade commander would prefer to follow his orders, or instead fall back into the vacant trenches; he chose to follow his orders.)

Turn 44: 0530
German initiative

But nobody came...

Turn 45: 0600
German initiative

Nobody came...

Turn 46: 0630
German initiative

Nobody came...

Dawn
Turn 47: 0700
British initiative

Nobody came...

Turn 48: 0730
German initiative

The 2nd Brigade finishes its digging and waits to see what will happen next.

It is now 0800. The 2nd and 3rd Brigades gain 1 Fatigue Point.

The sun has now fully risen and true daylight begins. Overview:

During the next update, you will introduce two infantry brigades on Turn 49 and two more on Turn 53. One of the brigades that enters on Turn 53 may do so from the northern end of the Chemin Creux. Additionally, 8 cavalry companies will enter the map and reinforce 2nd Brigade. The next infantry division to enter the field will begin to arrive from 2000 so that it can move up under cover of darkness. You may spend a fatigue point to have it arrive at 1600 instead; all brigades of that division will be eligible to gain fatigue points immediately they arrive. You also have one more spotter plane.

The soft deadline is 5pm Wednesday 22 March, although I am open to appeals for an extension of a day or two if you think you might need it.

Reinforcement map, exact brigade composition, and artillery details to follow.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 21, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

What did I tell you!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It seems like the Entente loves to leave their forces unsupported out on a limb.

Where the hell are they, and did they hear their little buddy getting shot?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Hahaha that was brilliant, all that worry and panic and it ends up with nothing worse than a BEF engineer dead, though any hope of keeping those troops hidden in there is likely gone now.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Y'know if a BEF division is turning up at that south road in the morning, I could just charge them immediately before they can go anywhere.

All my guys would 100% die but imagine the battle scenes.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Just for the hell of it, can you give us a map showing the tribulations of the 3rd brigade ? :v:

Also yeah this went pretty well. The bad news is that now I will have to play the game and put together order posts :ohdear:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So did I read this wrong (possible since I'm in class) or do we need to recruit another division commander and set of brigadiers?

We... might wanna get on that.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I winced at every inch I scrolled and still refuse to believe that that actually went okay. Show us the real map, Trin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

haha what a climactic anticlimax.

so we have done interesting orders to give, a lot of new people to bring into the workflow, and not much time. perhaps division commanders could put out some generic guidelines ASAP, so even if we decide to change the plan later on we've at least got something for new and old brigade commanders to start putting together orders off of?

we need to be proactive, both in putting together a larger organization on the fly and in requesting an extension of the deadline if we aren't happy with where we are in roughly 24 hours.

as for actual strategy, understanding that further details are pending from trin, it seems to me that 3bde should see if it can't maintain control of the blob, engineers should tear up the barbed wire down on the southern ford on the road, infantry should relieve cavalry in the trenches but also someone should get to 3bde, and maybe that brigade coming in from CC should scout and entrench right up north: the enemy's got to be somewhere and we know where they ain't

• Locked thread