Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I mean there's a whopper of a revelation at the end, don't get me wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StringOfLetters posted:

There are a lot of robots who gradually become self aware, and then kill themselves.

Yeah, almost right away, you meet an android who is concerned about being a living "Ship of Theseus". I'm new to the series and have only finished Route A, but I would existential horror, and more commonly, existential dispare, are the central themes of the game. Which I dig.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

StringOfLetters posted:

Moves that I didn't discover until way too late:

Hold (light attack) to taunt.

only with a taunt chip equipped afaik

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The biggest horror of the story to me is still Devola and Popola being programmed to feel eternal guilt for merely existing just out of spite by the other androids while simultaneously being mindwiped to not know why and how it gets so bad they seek death to make up for it. It's a scenario that's still sci-fi but not so removed from reality you couldn't imagine how horrifying it'd be.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

StringOfLetters posted:

Moves that I didn't discover until way too late:

Hold (light attack) to taunt.

emdash posted:

only with a taunt chip equipped afaik
Actually I think this is a minor late-game spoiler because only A2 can light attack taunt, the others can only pod taunt :ssh:

Storm One fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 20, 2017

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm always disappointed when streamers have JP vocals on, the soundtrack just isn't the same for some fights :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You have to farm them from the stubby legs machines. It's annoying because the game doesn't exactly tell you to do this, it just says "oh these guys drop them" with no map update. It would've been nice if they indicated they were a rare drop instead of leaving the player wondering if they're doing it wrong. I had to look up a walkthrough.

edit: Also invest in item drop chips. I did it in hard mode which maybe also added more enemies in the city areas.

I've been doing that but no luck. Is it any and all subbies in the city? Do I have to progress the plot? Because this is driving me nuts.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm always disappointed when streamers have JP vocals on, the soundtrack just isn't the same for some fights :smith:

Oh, that probably changes the lyrics too, doesn't it?
That sounds like it would cut out a lot of emotional impact.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I dunno I think KAMI NI NARU flows better

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

OddObserver posted:

Oh, that probably changes the lyrics too, doesn't it?
That sounds like it would cut out a lot of emotional impact.

KONO MAMA JA DAME

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is hard mode something I should save for NG+ or what?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think the EN dub is actually a good effort so I'm not bashing it for no reason for once, but the JP versions of the songs are all better for certain. Except maybe that one at the shop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Very Hard actually possible?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

is hard mode something I should save for NG+ or what?

Definitely don't start with it on Hard, it expects you to know game systems quite well.
Turn it up when you are ready to.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes. Someone is doing it with no buffs, pod or chips, but the m/p shields on all three of your pods can give a very large amount of uptime on your immunities.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think the one thing that has really disappointed me in this game so far is that weapons don't change their model when being upgraded, and honestly most of the effects on them are pretty samey and uninteresting. I always liked the weapon collecting and upgrading of the Drakengard games and the fact that each weapon was visually distinct at each upgrade level and often had some sort of unique aspect to it really helped. In this game the weapons are just kinda there. I was briefly excited to get not-Hymir's Finger but it's just not the same if I'm not upgrading it from a broken down hilt to a full sized megasword.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes, but not in a way where it requires absolute mastery over the system in the same way that games like DMC3 require. Nier is a little too clunky to properly reward absolutely perfect play, and there's so many attacks that come from off-screen or will chip damage you in a really visually vague AoE that what instead ends up happening is you suck all the fun out of the game and it just turns into a pod only playthrough.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't say I was really disappointed by weapons not growing, but a little for sure.
I'm quite surprised we didn't get Zero's Sword too, considering it's pretty good looking and it was the main weapon of the protagonist of Taro's previous game. DLC please.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm pretty sure weapons do change as you upgrade them? I got one of the fist weapons to level 4 and it had an electricity all over it effect I'm sure it didn't have before at least.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

That's a visual effect from the extra effect you got on upgrading it to level 4. All the Type 4O weapons have that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I wouldn't say I was really disappointed by weapons not growing, but a little for sure.
I'm quite surprised we didn't get Zero's Sword too, considering it's pretty good looking and it was the main weapon of the protagonist of Taro's previous game. DLC please.

Some DLC where you get the past protagonist's swords would be awesome. Even though the beast line of weapons and the iron pipe are what Nier is most associated with, he started with a different lovely sword. Being able to get Caim's sword would be cool too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm pretty sure weapons do change as you upgrade them? I got one of the fist weapons to level 4 and it had an electricity all over it effect I'm sure it didn't have before at least.

The Type-40 weapons do that, yeh. But it doesn't change their model so much as show an effect and they're the only ones that do so.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Yeah, almost right away, you meet an android who is concerned about being a living "Ship of Theseus". I'm new to the series and have only finished Route A, but I would existential horror, and more commonly, existential dispare, are the central themes of the game. Which I dig.

This is a very, very existentialist story. The central question of this game - what it's all really concerned with - is, "What is a human being?"

(All ending spoilers ahead):

Ultimately, I think the game errs on the side of, "A human being is someone who makes connections with others." Most of the machines and the androids don't get that. They're instead obsessed merely with imitating humans: like the men chained in Plato's cave, they see humanity's shadow and think it to be the real thing. The robots dress up in masks that don't mean anything; they uselessly bump non-existent genitals into eachother; they form a substanceless religion; and so on. The YoRHa androids aren't much better: they create models of every shape that are deadly with weapons and dress like hookers, because the two things that they know humanity was obsessed with were love (sex) and violence, and they, in a cargo cult way, think that wearing sexy outfits and slaughtering thousands will somehow make them more human. It's a world of dolls playing house together, and none of them are aware of it, trapping them in a ruinously pointless war, fighting over nothing for no one.

Like in the works of Hideaki Anno (whom Taro's obviously a fan of), connections hurt. Pascal's connections run so deep that he can think only of either dying or erasing his soul when those connections are gone. 9S's love for 2B is such that he goes insane at the loss of her, something mirrored by Eve going berserk over Adam's death. A2's loss of her companions turned her into a hard, embittered woman obsessed only with killing. But it's connections that end up ultimately providing them with salvation: the connections that the Greek chorus of the Pods have made with the main cast pushes them beyond the rules that bind them. Perhaps more importantly, the connections you, the player, have made with other players, playing the same game and sharing the same experiences, propels you above and beyond the game's boundaries, allowing you to succeed where it would otherwise be impossible to do so alone. The act of being human - of connecting to others - is what gives the protagonists a real chance at being human themselves, free of the burden of their design. It's an elegantly powerful statement.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tarezax posted:

That's a visual effect from the extra effect you got on upgrading it to level 4. All the Type 4O weapons have that.

The Type-40 weapons do that, yeh. But it doesn't change their model so much as show an effect and they're the only ones that do so.

Oh :(

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Vermain posted:

This is a very, very existentialist story. The central question of this game - what it's all really concerned with - is, "What is a human being?"

A game where people bitterly shout things like "Your existence is meaningless!" at each other, but when the protagonists literally meet Jean-Paul Sartre they ignore everything he says.

:allears:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

A game where people bitterly shout things like "Your existence is meaningless!" at each other, but when the protagonists literally meet Jean-Paul Sartre they ignore everything he says.

:allears:

I think you mean ****-Paul Sartre, right?

(It turns out that the Sartre estate is obnoxiously litigious. Ol' ****-Paul probably wouldn't be too impressed.)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wow, so...okay.
After first being allowed to walk around the moon base I pressed L3 and R3 and immediately got an alternate ending. This game is already off to a good start

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Vermain posted:

Good post, thank you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I think the EN dub is actually a good effort so I'm not bashing it for no reason for once, but the JP versions of the songs are all better for certain. Except maybe that one at the shop.

Nah, the second chanting version of Birth of a Wish and Possessed by Disease are way better in English.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

How do I trigger those insta kill moves? The prompt for me is to press B on a 360 controller. They seem to happen randomly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So at the beginning of A/B, what is required to start the main quest line? Do I have to help the shop guys?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

municipal shrimp posted:

How do I trigger those insta kill moves? The prompt for me is to press B on a 360 controller. They seem to happen randomly.

You gotta stagger the enemy into a vulnerable state, I've found it most consistently happens when I shoot a guy a bunch. It also isn't an instakill, just does a ton of damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

So at the beginning of A/B, what is required to start the main quest line? Do I have to help the shop guys?

Yes. Once you finish the item shop/weapon shop quests proper, the main quest advances.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

Yup, for the item shop dude you probably already have the stuff you need, the weapons shop one you have to do though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Snak posted:

Yeah, four dots on the diamond is "main quest."

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm kinda bad at hacking and miss heavy attack :saddowns:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

I'm kinda bad at hacking and miss heavy attack :saddowns:

You will get good at hacking trust me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yeah, four dots on the diamond is "main quest."

Right, but there are no main quest objectives visible. There are 2 points of interest that spawn single diamond sidequest markers.

Hence why I asked.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

So regarding ending E: when I first got to it, I didn't realize that I would have to wipe my save to get the real ending, and there was a lot of stuff that I hadn't done yet that I still wanted to do, so I said no. I'd like to experience the ending, but the credits sequence, while pretty amazing the first go around, was kind of long and I'd rather not go through it again to see the ending. Should I just YouTube it, or spend the time backing up my save to a flash drive and going through the whole end sequence again?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Not gonna lie I used hacking mainly to cheese stuff I found too obnoxious to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Pierson posted:

Not gonna lie I used hacking mainly to cheese stuff I found too obnoxious to fight.

loving flying snakes :argh: