Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Felicia Day is apparently a huge MST3k fan and her response to Joel asking her to be a Mad was supposedly "omg plzzzzzzz"

There are cynics who would label that as branding, but I think it's her real and honest feelings on it, because both her and Patton are in a place where this isn't exactly the path of least resistance in terms of advancing their careers. I think they're both MSTies who got to be on a show that they loved, and part of me hopes they break about as much as the original cast did just so we can sometimes see how often the occasionally think "Hell, Mystery Science Theater 3000 is back, and I'm acting on the show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Bicyclops posted:

There are cynics who would label that as branding, but I think it's her real and honest feelings on it, because both her and Patton are in a place where this isn't exactly the path of least resistance in terms of advancing their careers. I think they're both MSTies who got to be on a show that they loved, and part of me hopes they break about as much as the original cast did just so we can sometimes see how often the occasionally think "Hell, Mystery Science Theater 3000 is back, and I'm acting on the show!

I hope this starts a dynasty - a world where MST3k never ends. Like Doctor Who but with even worse special effects.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope this starts a dynasty - a world where MST3k never ends. Like Doctor Who but with even worse special effects.

:hellyeah: I want to see the giddy, incredulous faces of grown rear end adults in publicity stills when they realize they grew up to be the puppeteers for the puppet show they laughed at with their moms and dads when they were little.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
I was watching Teenagers From Outer Space for the first time in years, even though it's one of my favorite episodes. I got to this sketch that I probably watched 5000 times (Joel is so loving adorable in it) and I forgot that I had always wanted to see the source for it. So I youtube-doubled them and holy gently caress they NAILED it.

http://youtubedoubler.com/kBzj

Edit: According to the MST3K wiki Derek and Joe were lovers IRL. Joe wrote and directed the movie, and Thor was a major investor who sued to get his money back when the movie bombed.

Pleasing Shape fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 17, 2017

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

There was an interview with Joel where he basically said this was the main idea when it came to the hosts, to have a regularly changing cast like SNL. It didn't really pan out that way at the time, but I'm glad Joel is getting to see his vision realized.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

One thing that really struck me about that telethon they did was how many of the "young" (compared to Joel, like aged 20-30) acts said that they liked the show as kids.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bicyclops posted:

Recently I was at a party where I met an actress who saw my MST3K shirt and mentioned that she was good friends with Jonah. She said that he completely broke down when he got the news that he'd be hosting the new show. :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Felicia Day is apparently a huge MST3k fan and her response to Joel asking her to be a Mad was supposedly "omg plzzzzzzz"

Not exactly, she IS a a fan, but her brother's the superfan. The way she told it in the interview I saw was that she took the job almost as much to make him jealous as anything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gavok posted:

Recently I was at a party where I met an actress who saw my MST3K shirt and mentioned that she was good friends with Jonah. She said that he completely broke down when he got the news that he'd be hosting the new show. :unsmith:

If you ever listen to the Nerdest podcasts when Jonah is on, he basically says the same thing. Joel actually met Jonah for the first time on Nerdest and because of that meeting, thought he would be an excellent host.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gaz-L posted:

Not exactly, she IS a a fan, but her brother's the superfan. The way she told it in the interview I saw was that she took the job almost as much to make him jealous as anything.

that is the most in the spirit of MST reason to take a job, really.

"Well I do like it, yea...but taking this job will make you jealous, so that makes it even better."

GreenNight posted:

If you ever listen to the Nerdest podcasts when Jonah is on, he basically says the same thing. Joel actually met Jonah for the first time on Nerdest and because of that meeting, thought he would be an excellent host.

Jonah gets a lot of poo poo on his assorted media for being the uber-hipster who never shows any genuine enjoyment and all, so yea hearing him genuinely get all emotional and hyped up over this job was sweet. I like him a lot as a comic already so I'm really looking forward to see him in such a passion project situation.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Was there always a small gap on the right side of the silhouette in Catalina Caper?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

We Know Catheters posted:

Was there always a small gap on the right side of the silhouette in Catalina Caper?

Most likely yes, but no one saw it back in the day because of overscan.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Ah, yea when they walk off they don't show up in the small gap.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Diabolik900 posted:

You see this a lot on the DVD releases.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Jonah posted:

It’s hard to understand it in my own brain. It’s a literal dream come true. It’s not a version of a thing. Like we’ve all kind of had a version of our dreams coming true, in doing comedy for a living. But this is a legit one-to-one… There’s no analogy. It’s just straight-up a dream come true.

http://splitsider.com/2017/03/building-on-sacred-ground-with-the-new-cast-of-mst3k/

:unsmith:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I think what's gonna make the new season of MST3K really awesome is that I can easily imagine everyone from the cast and crew ranking MST3K as their #1 dream job scenario.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

loving :lol: at "Uh, this is Pizza Hut, sir" in Time Chasers. I had remembered this being one of my favorites but it's soooo good.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

"It's like this movie is equipped with airbags."

😁

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think Overdrawn at the Memory Bank[/i] is my second most watched MST3K. I realized while re-watching it that I know so many of the jokes ahead of time. I was trying to explain to my wife why it was one of my favorites, but I think I came off as some kind of disgusting, incompetent anteater.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bicyclops posted:

I was trying to explain to my wife why it was one of my favorites, but I think I came off as some kind of disgusting, incompetent anteater.

Sounds like you bungled or bobbled the Fingal dopple.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I watched Future War last night and was legit shocked to discover when I googled it later that it was made in 1997. It looks ten years older than that, minimum.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

LesterGroans posted:

Sounds like you bungled or bobbled the Fingal dopple.

Perhaps they've only dabbled in dopples?

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Bicyclops posted:

I think I came off as some kind of disgusting, incompetent anteater.

Whoa, huge slam on anteaters out of nowhere!

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
You must remember this
My liver has been pierced!

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Fingal! You are mine!

With béarnaise sauce

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mom...My nuts.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I sure hope he said 'peanuts'.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
While this isn't to poo poo on the older B movies because there are some classics there, but I feel like MST3k's best work might have been with those later films like Final Justice, Future War and Merlin. I suppose it might be because I'm able to focus more on the film as it's more familiar to me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Atarian posted:

Whoa, huge slam on anteaters out of nowhere!

Best post/avatar combo in forever.

I'm currently working on an article about the landmark episodes of the show. Talking about all the ones with some kind of historical value. First appearances, characters leaving, series finales, etc.

At the end of it, I want to briefly go over the novelty episodes as an aside. Stuff where there's some kind of unique gimmick to it all, presumably with who's riffing in the theater. Off the top of my head:

- Timmy
- Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank
- Pearl
- Gypsy
- Eddie Nelson
- Puppet Mike

Any other ones come to mind?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

OldTennisCourt posted:

While this isn't to poo poo on the older B movies because there are some classics there, but I feel like MST3k's best work might have been with those later films like Final Justice, Future War and Merlin. I suppose it might be because I'm able to focus more on the film as it's more familiar to me.

It also helps that later films are more likely to be silly pet projects and not boring, padded crap pumped out to feed the studio system.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
For me the perfect season of MST3K would be a focus on the newer (80's-90's) B movie schlock and then a couple 50's movies in the vein of I Accuse My Parents in there as well. I always preferred the absurd films that over the sci-fi 50's films as they let the guys focus more on 50's culture/teen culture at the time.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gavok posted:

I'm currently working on an article about the landmark episodes of the show. Talking about all the ones with some kind of historical value. First appearances, characters leaving, series finales, etc.

At the end of it, I want to briefly go over the novelty episodes as an aside. Stuff where there's some kind of unique gimmick to it all, presumably with who's riffing in the theater. Off the top of my head:

- Timmy
- Pearl
- Gypsy
- Eddie Nelson
- Puppet Mike

Giant Tom Servo!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of the reasons I'm glad Baron Vaughn is playing Servo is that, looking at his stand-up, he seems like he'll nicely fill in for one of Kevin Murphy's strengths, which is just cheerfully singing along with the movie at just the right time. "You can't always get what you wa-aaaant..." really slew me, and he seems to do that at least once an episode.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Some of it is that when the late 50s/early 60s stuff is badly made, it can be hard to see or hear what's happening, whereas something like Werewolf, even though it's made about as incompetently as you can expect it to be and and still see release, at least has the sound synced up, basic volume and lighting that, while bad, still allows you to see it. A lot of the late 60s-early 70s stuff is bad because of the dubbing too, which I think Joel was better with than Mike (they both have their strengths, but with stuff like Godzilla, it feels more like Joel is celebrating with the movie a little, whereas the "Destroy the entire island of Japan" jokes seem a little more prominent in stuff like Prince of Space).

A lot of the comedy from the older films for me comes in suddenly going "Wait a minute! That's Clint loving Eastwood!" or "That's the doubting detective from Rear Window," or "Holy poo poo, they cast the creepy cereal husband from []Niagara[/i] as some kind of hard-boiled detective romantic lead, and thought his voice was a good choice to narrate the film."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah Joel in general comes off as a bit more good-natured and innocent, and his riffs tend to be a bit less harsh. Mike can be really spiteful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

- Timmy
- Pearl
- Gypsy
- Eddie Nelson
- Puppet Mike

Off the top of my head:

-Dark Crow (assuming that's not Timmy - I don't remember his name).
-The time Cambot does an overlay onto the film.
-The time Joel opens an umbrella to cover the film's nudity

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, the Godzilla movies were infinitely better films than either Prince of Space or Invasion of the Neptune Men

Especially Invasion

ESPECIALLY

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
That guy just fell down!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

To be fair, the Godzilla movies were infinitely better films than either Prince of Space or Invasion of the Neptune Men

Especially Invasion

ESPECIALLY

Yeah, the Godzilla ones they watch are kind of self-aware as to their goofiness and relish in it. Neptune Men is really hard to watch. Prince of Space feels a little like Jack Frost or Santa Claus vs. the Martians to me in that it feels like it was designed for a young audience and that excuses some of the preposterous wackiness.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bicyclops posted:

Off the top of my head:

-Dark Crow (assuming that's not Timmy - I don't remember his name).
-The time Cambot does an overlay onto the film.
-The time Joel opens an umbrella to cover the film's nudity

In "Girl in Gold Boots," Mike pulls out a pool cue to "play" on a table that's in an otherwise unwatchably tedious scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Girl in Gold Boots is such a weird drat movie. It's like two totally difference films pasted together. The road trip part is...light hearted? enough but then the whole part in Vegas is dark as hell.