Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thought of something else today. Walter was one of the original founders. Knew Carry when he was young. He likely knew Kerry as a teen /young girl making that even creepier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Production's moving to California.

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/legion-lucifer-oa-affair-california-tax-credit-1202010890/

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Who was responsible for flash frying all the soldiers in the swimming pool in the pilot?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Max posted:

Who was responsible for flash frying all the soldiers in the swimming pool in the pilot?
It's never been made explicit but we've seen the mutant powers of every named character but Melanie, so it was probably her.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was under the impression that Melanie isn't a mutant, she's involved because her husband is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's never been made explicit but we've seen the mutant powers of every named character but Melanie, so it was probably her.

I think there's another rando on the beach in the pilot, standing on the rock in front of Melanie when the rest of the characters come out to meet her, so I've wondered if it could be him.

I assumed the most recent episode revealed Melanie to have plant based powers, given how fast those flowers she was tending grew.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Probable I'm dumb and don't remember important plot details moment, but why was Syd in the nut hut with David in the pilot? Sneaky operation to break him out? Or was it some weird coincidence?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Coincidence. She only met the Summerland people when they took "David" when they were body-swapped, and then she was in the car with them when they switched back.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Ah OK, thanks. For some reason I thought she had been with the Summerland people for longer. Bad TV show watching from me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tbh, I've been wondering if they've been setting up that reveal with Syd.

It'd redeem some of her really full on, weirdly motivated lovey-dovey stuff that she's been spouting -- she claims she loves him the episode she meets him, and episode two has her so desperate to keep him at Summerland that she promises that he can touch her (despite earlier pointing out that it makes her deeply uncomfortable to even to be touched through her gloves). She's really intense about her connection to him, but seems completely unphased about a lot of the weirder poo poo that's happened, including killing Lenny. Plus the Summerland people are letting her lead missions and are treating her like a high level operative, which is an awful lot of confidence to put into a new recruit. Even Syd's very first scene seems calculated to gain David's trust, with her monologue seemingly more designed to appeal to David than describing anything she's actually experienced. Hell, until the most recent episode we've barely learnt anything about her. She's been pretty closed off from us, narratively.

Going off this logic, I'm guessing that Melanie Bird sent Syd undercover specifically to find David, with the intention of using him to rescue Oliver from the Astral Plane.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I don't know what the gently caress the first 15 minutes of E6 was but Aubrey Plaza killed it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Would be way better without the text

Just gonna go with that I think.

Chokes McGee posted:

SHADOW KING

*click*

But this is so good....

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is there like, a sparknotes for this show?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Open Source Idiom posted:

seems completely unphased about a lot of the weirder poo poo that's happened, including killing Lenny. Plus the Summerland people are letting her lead missions and are treating her like a high level operative, which is an awful lot of confidence to put into a new recruit. Even Syd's very first scene seems calculated to gain David's trust, with her monologue seemingly more designed to appeal to David than describing anything she's actually experienced. Hell, until the most recent episode we've barely learnt anything about her. She's been pretty closed off from us, narratively.
Summerland folks scooped up David's body soon after he blasted Clockworks. It was Syd's brain, and her body eventually caught up, leaving him wandering around the hospital where he evaded Ptolomy/Carry and got scooped up by D3. There's some reference to "weeks," Summerland had 3+ weeks to train and understand Syd before sending her out to collect David. It's not clear when they jammed memories into him, but he trusts her at that point. She's around to be a trusting face, "don't surface until you see me," not necessarily leading the mission.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

Summerland folks scooped up David's body soon after he blasted Clockworks. It was Syd's brain, and her body eventually caught up, leaving him wandering around the hospital where he evaded Ptolomy/Carry and got scooped up by D3. There's some reference to "weeks," Summerland had 3+ weeks to train and understand Syd before sending her out to collect David. It's not clear when they jammed memories into him, but he trusts her at that point. She's around to be a trusting face, "don't surface until you see me," not necessarily leading the mission.

No, I understand that's what the show's implied. I'm not sure we're not being led up the garden path though.

Or, honestly, that's what I hope is happening. Like I said, Syd's relationship seems really, unbelievably intense, and Melanie seems to be putting a lot of faith in her despite only knowing her for a few weeks.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Here's a link to the Choir and Crickets song that Lenny played over the headphones and PA system in the last ep.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sweet! I remember how much better the scenery was in X-FIles after the move, instead of pacific northwest woods all the time.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Everyone from Summerland (well, everyone who isn't just an extra in the background) with the possible exception of mr telekinetic man (whom we haven't really met) is some form of mentally unwell. And they aren't being treated, or in some cases no one is even aware of it, because their gifts (that is, the things they can do) are being used to minimize, or totally ignore, their issues.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Sweet! I remember how much better the scenery was in X-FIles after the move, instead of pacific northwest woods all the time.
Really? I always thought the overcast skies set the perfect mood for a show like X-Files. By the time they moved the show it was already dwindling though, so maybe it's appropriate. Still, Vancouver can double for almost anywhere, so it was kinda dumb that after the production move a whole lot of Mulder and Scully's cases just happened to be in California.

Maybe it's appropriate for Legion though - they try to go for a more idyllic setting despite darkness lurking under the surface.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

:catdrugs:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

No, I understand that's what the show's implied. I'm not sure we're not being led up the garden path though.
Ah, gotcha! Them grabbing David's body wasn't clear to me at first, but the scenes where he's in the car replaced by her are straightforward. Most of the back-propagating reveals have been pulled at this point, any huge revamps would feel a little cheap.

Or, honestly, that's what I hope is happening. Like I said, Syd's relationship seems really, unbelievably intense, and Melanie seems to be putting a lot of faith in her despite only knowing her for a few weeks.
Melanie doesn't strike me as having a plethora of options. Syd's a little more difficult, but I think I'd fall for "the only human that I can hold hands with" pretty hard too.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm probably guilty of investing far too much time and effort into a Marvel show, but is there anything specific that's confusing? Most of the dots have been connected at this point.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011
Yikes! I just rewatched the opening montage of episode 1, where David grows up.

I already knew that the Devil With Yellow Eyes appears as a doll on young David's floor -- but he's in that sequence somewhere else too! Just as David starts to hang himself, the DWYE saunters by in the background. It's incredibly obvious and I have no idea how I never saw it before. Gah!

Has he made any other weird background cameos through the series? Especially in flashbacks?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

IS IT 10PM EDT YET

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shadow King namedrop!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Syd knows what's up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

His real accent!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This show somehow even makes an exposition dump unbelievably good.

My god. That classroom sequence.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That classroom sequence was amazing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

What the gently caress

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was a great episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's still so weird to me that former Grantland tv critic Andy Greenberg has a co-producer credit for this show.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The silent movie sequence set to bolero was so good

Imagine reading that sentence before ever watching the show

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Sooooo close to saying who David's dad is.

Once again Plaza steals every scene she's in.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

So It Goes posted:

The silent movie sequence set to bolero was so good

Imagine reading that sentence before ever watching the show

I just did! Fuuuuck I wish it was Sunday now. I'm contemplating visiting my mother-in-law just to get access to her digital cable :shepicide:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

What a loving episode of television.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

cochise posted:

Sooooo close to saying who David's dad is.

Well, they technically did.

They showed Professor X's wheelchair at the beginning.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
That was utterly brilliant. I mean I'd go on with hyperbole but what the hell would the point be? Best thing I've seen in years.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I got a real kick out of David doing a dubious Patrick Stewart impression in the classroom when talking about his father.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Good episode. Getting a real Helena Bonham Carter vibe there.

Also, I jumped like a chicken poo poo when Big Head flashed at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm enjoying it, though I do feel like the show gets too stylish and deliberately abstract for its own good sometimes. There's a fine line between a cool/unique aesthetic and a masturbatory one, and at times it feels like the latter. It's the Tarantino Effect.

I really feel as if this show is doing something amazing right now, and part of that is by taking what would traditionally be imagined in a very samey / simplistic way - a comic book story - and showing that if you take it seriously, you can do anything with it.

That's the point, right? The comic books provide *good stories*, and good stories are based on well-drawn characters trying to adapt to a situation - ridiculous as the situation may seem to us. Once you focus on the characters and the story, genre becomes malleable - you can play around and try new ways to present story beats that in other shows have become too attached to their traditional tropes. We've all seen 'Someone more powerful takes over for who you thought was in power before' - but when have you seen it done like this?

That was exceptional. The silent movie chase mixed with the musical shield scene was brilliant. And while it's true brilliant can sometimes be showey, this earned it.