Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

lol here's hoping she falls into poverty and heroin usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
The Reactionary Mind was great. He should do one for leftists.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Al-Saqr posted:

lol here's hoping she falls into poverty and heroin usage.

She's a hot blonde who can cut a promo. At worst she'll get a gig with the WWE.

E: Also I dig how THE REAGAN BATTALION is hitting every person in the OP of this thread one by one. I think Crowder and Shapiro are safe, but the rest are going to get wrecked by the RB.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

gipped. gipped again

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What milquetoast poo poo is this

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montasque posted:

She's a hot blonde who can cut a promo. At worst she'll get a gig with the WWE.

E: Also I dig how THE REAGAN BATTALION is hitting every person in the OP of this thread one by one. I think Crowder and Shapiro are safe, but the rest are going to get wrecked by the RB.

It's you isn't it? We demand the truth!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

American conservatism is perverted by its roots, since we founded the country on a constitution that was based on Enlightenment notions of liberty. It naturally tends to be a bourgeois reaction, as opposed to continental conservatism, which was a direct reaction to the French revolution.

That might be true for the elite advocates of conservatism but when it comes to actually garnering popular support American conservatism has always been hyper-reactionary. McCarthy is more important than Jefferson or Washington and the inchoate resentment of middle Americans who wanted to see uppity blacks punished and hippy students beaten by cops was the real animating force behind Reaganism and had more to do with the success of the ideology than anything that ever came out of the Chicago School.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
So who is up on the chopping block next?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Full criminal complaint for seizure-gif anti-Semite boy:

https://www.scribd.com/document/342463468/N-D-Tex-3-17-mj-00192-1-0

He's hosed

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Wikkheiser posted:

He's hosed

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/843950946271019008

I hate Kurt Eichenwald and don't believe he actually had a seizure caused by a meme. This also sets an insanely terrible precedent - assault by meme, that will go down as one of the dumbest cases in the history of American courts.

E: To be clear I'm no @JewGoldstein fan either, but my god... Eichenwald has zero credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Yeah, I would kill to be the attorney representing @Jew_goldstien

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Montasque posted:

I hate Kurt Eichenwald and don't believe he actually had a seizure caused by a meme.

Well if he didn't, then he got his neurologist to lie to the police about it. Paragraph 18 in the complaint.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Wikkheiser posted:

He's hosed

Oh poo poo there's a statute on point he is totally screwed. What the gently caress was this law actually designed to address? It'll be interesting to see whether the "deadly weapon" aspect will stick. I'm guessing it will show up in appeals unless there is some other case where a computer file is deemed an "object."

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I'm definitely not an expert, but I remember reading that it's actually really hard to trigger a seizure with a strobing screen. Not all people with epilepsy are effected, and those that are have to be under some pretty specific conditions for it to trigger. So yeah, I'm pretty skeptical that a 300x300 flashing Pepe gave Kurt a seizure.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/843311934661427200

Holy poo poo...

McGlockenshire posted:

Well if he didn't, then he got his neurologist to lie to the police about it. Paragraph 18 in the complaint.

My hatred for Kurt Eichenwald blinds me to science or reason.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Wikkheiser posted:

He's hosed

oh jesus, those DMs are pretty damning. it wasn't just a thoughtless "joke" that went horribly wrong: he really was trying to kill eichenwald. it's kind of the equivalent of sending cookies with peanuts in them to someone you know has an allergy.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the best part is that @jew_goldstein is a bit of a difficult name to rally around

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Kingfish posted:

Oh poo poo there's a statute on point he is totally screwed. What the gently caress was this law actually designed to address? It'll be interesting to see whether the "deadly weapon" aspect will stick. I'm guessing it will show up in appeals unless there is some other case where a computer file is deemed an "object."
Yeah that's what I'm wondering about too. The law is (intentionally) vague in that it's defined as "any object capable of inflicting death or serious bodily injury."

18 U.S. Code § 2261(b) which the fella is charged under imposes a maximum of 10 years "if serious bodily injury to the victim results or if the offender uses a dangerous weapon during the offense." Not "and if" but "or if." And Eichenwald didn't strictly have to have a seizure for the law to apply if he was placed "in reasonable fear of the death of, or serious bodily injury."

Kinda similar to that white couple that aimed a shotgun at the black family in Georgia and got put into prison. But obviously way more Snow Crash-y and weird. [Edit actually the peanuts thing ^ might be a better analogy...]

Eichenwald is a jackass but Pepeboy is going away.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 02:16 on Mar 21, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I wish I had unlimited time/energy to gently caress around on Westlaw and figure out how good the government's case is on the extended sentence. I wouldn't be surprised if he pleaded down from him but part of me hopes they go to trial just to read the case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
who is Kurt Eichenwald and why does everyone hate him, i assume he is some neoliberal liberal Clinton rear end in a top hat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I dunno. I'm thinking similar.

Interesting how the Cyber Cop :snod: caught him too. Got his IP and a phone number from Twitter. It was a prepaid phone registered to AT&T but also an Apple iphone, so Cyber Cop sent a search warrant to Apple and found all the goodies stashed in his iCloud. Doxxed as gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who is Kurt Eichenwald and why does everyone hate him, i assume he is some neoliberal liberal Clinton rear end in a top hat.
That about sums it up yeah

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jesus Christ I can't loving handle the schadenfreude flowing through me right now.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/4realPolitic/status/843324096087769089

The Eichenwald hole is deep and terrible.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

the complaint is also a great reminder about how easy it is to connect an online handle to the person irl

Not that Jew Goldenstein went particularly out of the way to cover his tracks or anything, but it wouldn't have occurred to me that using a phone number for a login on twitter could be crosschecked against an icloud account

iirc the Dread Pirate Roberts got caught when an irs agent managed to find a screen name that Roberts had used in a chatroom years ago, and then had used again in a post on a forum where he'd asked for coding help (just looked it up. Roberts actually had deleted the post since it contained his gmail with his real name, but someone else had already quoted it. Beautiful.)

edit: beaten by Wikkheiser

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Heaven Spacey posted:

Jesus Christ I can't loving handle the schadenfreude flowing through me right now.
lmao just quietly repeat the Litany Against Schadenfreude three times fast and you'll be OK. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oh i remeber him from from chapo house now. yeah isnt he possibly a pedo and now he is hurting the whole trump is helped by Russia thing?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Thug Lessons posted:

I'm definitely not an expert, but I remember reading that it's actually really hard to trigger a seizure with a strobing screen. Not all people with epilepsy are effected, and those that are have to be under some pretty specific conditions for it to trigger. So yeah, I'm pretty skeptical that a 300x300 flashing Pepe gave Kurt a seizure.
:shrug: I have no idea either. The gif seemed pretty bad though, but again I'm not a neurologist.

also here's the gif :siren: DON'T loving CLICK ON IT IF YOU ARE PRONE TO SEIZURES FOR CHRISSAKES :siren:

http://i.imgur.com/WxkzxOY.gif

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

American conservatism is perverted by its roots, since we founded the country on a constitution that was based on Enlightenment notions of liberty. It naturally tends to be a bourgeois reaction, as opposed to continental conservatism, which was a direct reaction to the French revolution.

This is a good and insightful post.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Wikkheiser posted:

:shrug: I have no idea either. The gif seemed pretty bad though, but again I'm not a neurologist.

also here's the gif :siren: DON'T loving CLICK ON IT IF YOU ARE PRONE TO SEIZURES FOR CHRISSAKES :siren:

SEE YOU IN COURT

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh i remeber him from from chapo house now. yeah isnt he possibly a pedo and now he is hurting the whole trump is helped by Russia thing?

I'm not sure if Kurt is a pedophile, but he handled the pedophile story sources in an extremely sloppy manor which lead to him getting in a lot of hot water with journalism ethics people.

As far as him loving up the Russia/Trump thing - No idea. He's extremely anti-Trump and as stated he is a sloppy journalist. He may be going down some conspiracy theory rabbit holes which lead nowhere hurting the broader case against Trump.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Wikkheiser posted:

HELL O THIS IS BALOOGANS WIFE TWEETING I WILL SEE YOU IN COURT AND MY MANY LARGE SONS WILL 'DEAL' WIT YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BONGHITZ posted:

SEE YOU IN COURT

Baloogan posted:

HELL O THIS IS BALOOGANS WIFE TWEETING I WILL SEE YOU IN COURT AND MY MANY LARGE SONS WILL 'DEAL' WIT YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJiBjfvltQw

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I forgot all about Kurt's LARGE KUNG-FU SONS!

And people wonder why I don't believe Kurt loving Eichenwald.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah nobody knows who he is aside from 'the guy who got his brain broke by a gif'

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
he voted for bush

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
he's a loving dumb rear end but a dude who deliberately tried to kill him by triggering a seizure deserves to be convicted of a crime

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah, but even if that part is manifestly untrue (which would mean that the neurologist lied under oath about it), it doesn't affect how hosed this guy is. As Wikkiheiser points out, all he needed to be is "in reasonable fear of death of, or serious bodily injury" and showing that GIF to someone that has photosensitive epilepsy is sure as hell gonna put them in fear of serious bodily injury, even if it didn't actually trigger a seizure. But they've got a neurologist on the record saying that it did, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that, even if it is difficult to cause someone to have a seizure with a flashing image, that this guy managed to pull it off.

Wikkheiser posted:

Yeah that's what I'm wondering about too. The law is (intentionally) vague in that it's defined as "any object capable of inflicting death or serious bodily injury."

18 U.S. Code § 2261(b) which the fella is charged under imposes a maximum of 10 years "if serious bodily injury to the victim results or if the offender uses a dangerous weapon during the offense." Not "and if" but "or if." And Eichenwald didn't strictly have to have a seizure for the law to apply if he was placed "in reasonable fear of the death of, or serious bodily injury."

Kinda similar to that white couple that aimed a shotgun at the black family in Georgia and got put into prison. But obviously way more Snow Crash-y and weird. [Edit actually the peanuts thing ^ might be a better analogy...]

Eichenwald is a jackass but Pepeboy is going away.
It's something that is gonna end up getting settled pretty soon, if not in this case, then in another. It's only a matter of time before someone commits murder using nothing more than a victim's own biomedical device and a computer (think sending a lethal dose of insulin by hacking into the device) and in that situation, either the computer or the software on the computer is a lethal weapon, at least in certain circumstances.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Montasque posted:

I forgot all about Kurt's LARGE KUNG-FU SONS!

And people wonder why I don't believe Kurt loving Eichenwald.

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/282150921645981696

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, but even if that part is manifestly untrue (which would mean that the neurologist lied under oath about it), it doesn't affect how hosed this guy is. As Wikkiheiser points out, all he needed to be is "in reasonable fear of death of, or serious bodily injury" and showing that GIF to someone that has photosensitive epilepsy is sure as hell gonna put them in fear of serious bodily injury, even if it didn't actually trigger a seizure. But they've got a neurologist on the record saying that it did, so I'm gonna go ahead and assume that, even if it is difficult to cause someone to have a seizure with a flashing image, that this guy managed to pull it off.

This is all as speculative as whether it actually caused a seizure, since in addition to not being doctors we're also not lawyers. He might be able to get out of it by, for example, showing there's no actual evidence the guy actually has photosensitive epilepsy. I do suspect he's hosed but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

wizard on a water slide posted:

he's a loving dumb rear end but a dude who deliberately tried to kill him by triggering a seizure deserves to be convicted of a crime

:agreed:

This wasn't a kid who sent a dumb tweet without considering the consequences, it was a malicious attack that he then bragged about

it's truly some black mirror poo poo.