Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

So the video Danny sees in episode 10 is basically confirmation that yes, Danny, you really do suck at this whole Iron Fist thing. I mean just look at how glowy this other dude is. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bruce Wayne leaves the actual running of Wayne Enterprises to Lucius Fox. He just stays on as the official CEO in order to maintain his secret identity, and to maintain access to Wayne Enterprises resources should he need them in his fight against crime.

Christian Bale actually played that roll really well. Sleeping through meetings and barely giving a poo poo about the company beyond getting him more money actually fit what people expected of him.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Serious question, because the more I think about the Meachums the more I think I only liked Ward. Did Joy do anything besides look at other people incredulously? All I can remember is she would show up, look confused, then she or the other person would walk away to do whatever it is they wanted to do before talking to her. Did I forget something besides giving Danny the bowl?

Quiet Feet posted:

So the video Danny sees in episode 10 is basically confirmation that yes, Danny, you really do suck at this whole Iron Fist thing. I mean just look at how glowy this other dude is. :ughh:

I love how the old Iron Fist had two glowy hands and Danny could only barely make one work. Danny just sucks hardcore

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

I actually really really dug Kingpin being tough as gently caress in his own way. He's all about brute strength and totally dominating a fight. In the comics it's the same, he's not fat, he's a big as poo poo dude who can beat the hell out of you. It's been a while since I watched season 1, but I feel like him being able to take Daredevil, especially when he's relatively new to the superhero game, makes a lot of sense.

I can see where you're coming from, but I guess I felt more like his own strength was more of an unfocused childish rage that wouldn't really stand up in a serious fight. when he threw his financier into a hole for trying to double cross him, that made perfect sense; mano a mano combat not so much. It's probably something that could have been better explained through his origin story, which showed how he got his world view well, but not so much how he got his power base.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Basically all this talk is making me wish for a Netflix series of The Last Dragon instead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best laugh was how even the random henchmen seem to get that Danny is complete failure

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Bruce Wayne leaves the actual running of Wayne Enterprises to Lucius Fox. He just stays on as the official CEO in order to maintain his secret identity, and to maintain access to Wayne Enterprises resources should he need them in his fight against crime.

Yeah, and Bruce Wayne uses Wayne Enterprises and his own influence heavily to help Gotham City, even if he isn't as involved in the day-to-day decisions of the business. There was a really good Batman one-shot I read a while back called 24/7 that went on a bird's-eye trip through Gotham and showed all the good that Batman accomplishes through Wayne Enterprises, like giving out college scholarships, low-income housing, that sort of thing. Even Arrow had a better sense of that than Iron Fist -- (e4)the first time I got the sense that he cared about the company at all was when he balked at giving up the Rand name, and I still have no idea why he cares. It's nice to make knee-jerk decisions and give medication away for cheap, but he had no idea about the medication before that very instant, so it's not like he's even been looking into the company and trying to steer it towards helping people.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think we can all agree though that the least believable part was a no-knock swat raid on a white billionaire

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

"The only reason anyone is interested in me is because of the Fist."

Finally, the superhero I can relate to! :wiggle:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Which episode is WW2 Iron fist in because that sounds pretty rad but I don't want to watch this entire series.

Venuz Patrol posted:

daredevil s1 had the same problem. (spoiled since it would kinda spoil the same thing the quoted post is talking about) kingpin's advantage is supposed to be his resources, not his own power, but when he and daredevil fight in the last episode they're put on even ground for no god drat reason. it would have been an interesting ending in its own way if apprehending fisk was super easy for daredevil when he finally caught up to him, but the netflix marvel writers are locked into this absurdly simplistic notion of what a climactic finale is supposed to look like.

My introduction to Kingpin was in the Spider-Man Saturday morning cartoon where he would regularly beat down on Spider-Man with his fists explaining that its muscle bulk not fat, so I didn't have a problem with this. I like the idea of a mob boss whose his own muscle.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 21, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The first few episodes could've been completely avoided if he had immediately told Joy some personal stories. Nope, just gonna stammer and flip over this car.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Venuz Patrol posted:

I can see where you're coming from, but I guess I felt more like his own strength was more of an unfocused childish rage that wouldn't really stand up in a serious fight. when he threw his financier into a hole for trying to double cross him, that made perfect sense; mano a mano combat not so much. It's probably something that could have been better explained through his origin story, which showed how he got his world view well, but not so much how he got his power base.

Yes, but even childish rage coupled with someone who is INCREDIBLY strong is still very loving dangerous. Thinking about it now it even makes sense from a thematic perspective as well. Daredevil moves past his childhood trauma, his youthful rage and anger and is able to beat Kingpin by evolving into someone who fights with finesse and pure skill. Kingpin loses because he never truly grew up past his hosed up start. He's still a child with a lot of power but with no real way of using it beyond hurting people.

Daredevil learns to protect and not just hurt the bad guy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

massive spider posted:

Which episode is WW2 Iron fist in because that sounds pretty rad but I don't want to watch this entire series.

its probly on youtube by now, it was from a chinese ww2 film reel you see for 5 seconds or so

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

massive spider posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZzKc39ttFY

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

massive spider posted:

Episode 10, about 16 minutes in.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

There's sort of a reason for that, but the main problem are the arbitrary power rankings and the complete and utter lack of personal development for Danny.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I'm guessing this show isn't too popular based on the last few pages. I'm surprised how many people watched the whole thing and still hated it. I can get hatewatching, and I can get bingewatching, but binge-hate watching seems like a really unusual way to spend a weekend to me.

Anyways, watched the first episode, very meh. I can't figure out why, but every time I see the guy playing Ward all I see is Fred Armisen. They don't really look the same, but something about the eyes and the facial expression, especially when he looks incredulous, which was a lot in episode one. It makes him impossible to take seriously.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I'm guessing this show isn't too popular based on the last few pages. I'm surprised how many people watched the whole thing and still hated it. I can get hatewatching, and I can get bingewatching, but binge-hate watching seems like a really unusual way to spend a weekend to me.

Anyways, watched the first episode, very meh. I can't figure out why, but every time I see the guy playing Ward all I see is Fred Armisen. They don't really look the same, but something about the eyes and the facial expression, especially when he looks incredulous, which was a lot in episode one. It makes him impossible to take seriously.

Sometimes something is just the right level of mediocre where you think 'I'll keep watching and it will either get better and I will have made the right choice, or it will get worse and I'll stop' and it never manages to do either.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

counterfeitsaint posted:

Holy crap that's who he looks like, I saw the same thing but didn't know the other guy well enough to put my finger on it.

But yeah, Saint Freak kind of hit it for me. I work nights on the weekends and needed something to watch, then I had nothing else to do when I woke up. It didn't piss me off when I was watching it, but it leaves a bad aftertaste, if that makes sense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ramadu posted:

why would he be

this is a terrible reason not to do it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The drunken master fight was confusing to me because the dudes accent kept moving all over the place. He seemed to keep slipping into Cockney and Jack Sparrow.

Apparently the actor is from Manchester, which just raises more questions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

I noted the "young Fred Armisen" thing too, but it went away after a few episodes.

I wasn't hate-watching, I was hope-watching. :(

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Saint Freak posted:

Sometimes something is just the right level of mediocre where you think 'I'll keep watching and it will either get better and I will have made the right choice, or it will get worse and I'll stop' and it never manages to do either.

This is how I felt too put much more elegantly than I ever could.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still think he looks he could be Meachum from House of Cards's cousin.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Where the gently caress is daredevil tho

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jimmy Hats posted:

Where the gently caress is daredevil tho

You'd expect Claire to say "Hey I have a friend that went up against these guys, he might be able to help" at any point during their interaction.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So aside from her name and her being played by Sigourney Weaver is there any real info on the main villain of Defenders?

Calling it now she's Mephisto

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Apparently the actor is from Manchester, which just raises more questions.
I just took it to be a British and Chinese accent.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Saint Freak posted:

I watched it in the background while doing other stuff, rarely paid too much attention to it. The show as a whole was just mediorce. the core character just was not interesting or even well portrayed, the Meachums and Coleen were far better but they were still undermined the more Danny became part of their storyline.

People sort of dismiss the physical complaints but I think they absolutely suck the life out of the screenplay. It's already bad enough to have poor choreography and stunts, but having the actors talk about power and control while exhibiting none of it completely undermines how you're supposed to use a visual medium. The acting and screenplay was already pretty bad (Joy, Ward and Harold aside) so they probably should've got better prepared performers who could've sold their role visually without 50 cuts in a fight scene.

It was so laughable watching Danny and Coleen symmetrically perform their little dance with the camera pulled in close to avoid showing the lie more than they were already. It's like the John Wick directors say, the capability of your lead is the major limiter on your ability to shoot action well, so they invested in Keanu Reeves to make it happen. You either get someone with capability for the role or prep them properly, it seems folly to commit to anything less in a visual medium, but either way this is the series they did.

But whatever, it's just some TV show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched episode 5. ugh

"I'm not good at this stuff"
"what stuff?"
"talking"

The takeout scene is a disaster. Danny is a creep. Buying her building to put himself in a position over her is the creepiest loving thing. Interrupting her class to demand that she eat with him and making the meal a big thing so she couldn't say no is loving creepy. This is not a cute romance. This is horrible. Bribing her into fighting heroin dealers with him is not cute, it's crazy. And Colleen walking in on Danny pawing through her things is not the beginning of a cute romantic sequence, it's creepy as gently caress

There was a point where the show was looking up. When they were sneaking through the giant spools and over the containers, that was good. I thought that clearly, they were establishing the setting for a fun action sequence using the spools and the containers and stuff. BUT OF COURSE NOT. This is Iron Fist, there will never be any fun or inventive fights. Why would I expect such a thing, my brain must be stupid.

but on the other hand, Claire's back. her legs too.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Kheldarn posted:

That's goons.txt for ya. The internet told them to poo poo on this show, so they blindly follow along.

Or it's just poo poo

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Stunt Rock posted:

Or it's just poo poo

It's not. Goons just expect everything to be 1,000%+ Perfect, including matching everything they have in their head as to how it should be.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Kheldarn posted:

It's not. Goons just expect everything to be 1,000%+ Perfect, including matching everything they have in their head as to how it should be.

Heh yeah man, those goons. Not like us right? We're the cool ones ~holds up hand for the most radical of high fives~

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Kheldarn posted:

Good. Because Danny's not Asian.

:lol:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Episode 5: Holy poo poo even Rosario Dawson is not great. It is almost as if the director told her to be more robotic and less human when she is speaking.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

notthegoatseguy posted:

Episode 5: Holy poo poo even Rosario Dawson is not great. It is almost as if the director told her to be more robotic and less human when she is speaking.

Yeah, she's kind of just shoehorned in for 'worldbuilding' reasons. She doesn't really fit into the story very well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I kind of wish she had hightailed it out of there the moment the phrase "the Hand" was mentioned.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It should have been foggy. Same exact role and fighting and possibly wardrobe.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Claire's pretty much there to talk about how much she doesn't want to be there. Maybe they wanted her to be an audience surrogate?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It should have been foggy. Same exact role and fighting and possibly wardrobe.

I would have been totally OK with this. Foggy was so under-used in Daredevil season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yakmouth posted:

Yeah, she's kind of just shoehorned in for 'worldbuilding' reasons. She doesn't really fit into the story very well.

But the story sucks as well. That whole scene was just bad.