Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

KingSlime posted:

also all those systems are a lot funner if you're playing the game on nightmare because advantages matter more

in fact, playing the game with normal difficulty on probably makes it a pretty bland experience, I played nightmare from the getgo and it felt more engrossing than mindlessly wrecking enemies in pretty, repetitive enviironments

I usually play Ys games on Hard which I usually find is a fun balance. The times I've tried Nightmare and higher just feel like a slog rather than a fun challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

The origin rerelease on PS4 made me think about Ys again so I'm replaying all the Vita ones (except I won't play 7 again because I don't remember particularly enjoying 7). I'm working on memories of celceta which is still fun moment to moment but I forgot the insane amount of resource bloat this game has between the 12 different ways you can improve weapons, the 3 different shops that can craft and the large party you need to equally level up and train by swapping out characters relatively frequently

I gotta just play Ys 1&2 again soon to remind myself why I fell in love with the series in the first place. No loving crafting, no dumb 'parry' system, party mechanics, or bad story getting in the way constantly. Just bump and fireball, that's all you need.

Snak posted:

I thought that galciv 2 was the worst 4x game I've ever played. Total garbage.

I can see why it might appeal to people but every time I try and play it it's just the most absolutely boring poo poo and I can't even remotely get interested in it.

In Training posted:

I usually play Ys games on Hard which I usually find is a fun balance. The times I've tried Nightmare and higher just feel like a slog rather than a fun challenge.

Same. Nightmare rarely adds any new (or meaningful, anyway) mechanics to the bosses, so it's just the same thing as Hard except now you take 3x as much damage and the bosses take 3x as many hits to kill. Which is literally the opposite of good design.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Memories does go borderline slog on nightmare when traversing areas but it's manageable, though the bosses were a little more frustrating than I cared for

I never tried Hard, might be the perfect balance from the sounds of it

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

KingSlime posted:

on another note, hollow knight

it's a little easy on the combat (though I am barely two areas in and I am Really Trained in these types of games so ymmv), but aside from that it has got to be my favorite modern 2d metroidvania (Bloodborne/DS3 still hold the title for 3d metroidvania).

The art is incredible, the music is atmospheric, and the game is hitting all the notes I had expected it to, which is fantastic. Looking forward to see what the rest of the game is like.

Also I beat Hyper Light Drifter, aside from the aimless wandering it was a pro loving buy. Also I saw a lore video after and wow everything went over my head lololol, I pretty much missed the entire plot aside from "Collect shapes, find super shape, destroy nightmare enemy haunting you since the first scene"

E: I wish the game didn't "freeze" when you took damage in hollow knight though, it's so overly melodramatic with the shattering screen animation and gets in the way of the game flow but I guess it's not a big deal

The lore in Hyper Light Drifter is kinda dumb because the whole game is so into nonverbal/written storytelling through the environment and those illustrated speech bubbles... and then they put a bunch of obelisks in the game with a ciphered text on them that just explains the whole backstory. And it sucks you outta the game because realistically you're just gonna go look up what the obelisks say on reddit instead of deciphering them yourself, because you signed up for a hack n slash exploring game and not a game about solving word ciphers.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I thought nonverbal storytelling was supposed to be intuitive for it to work

Either way the story still boils down to "find shapes, find super shape, kill monster," so I guess it wasn't a big deal. Sucks if you're a fan of flavor text or background lore (which I usually am)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Huh, having never looked it up til now, I assumed that Hollow Knight was some Shovel Knight DLC. The Shovel Knight devs should sue

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
everyone buy hollow knight though

it's the metroidvania we deserve (full disclaimer, only 3 hours in)

the game really isn't afraid of having a buncha branching paths and letting you get lost (even if some paths do lead to dead ends requiring later powers), some see this as a con

those people can gently caress off

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looks grey and salt & sanctuary-y, not super interested in that stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I gotta just play Ys 1&2 again soon to remind myself why I fell in love with the series in the first place. No loving crafting, no dumb 'parry' system, party mechanics, or bad story getting in the way constantly. Just bump and fireball, that's all you need.

I can see why it might appeal to people but every time I try and play it it's just the most absolutely boring poo poo and I can't even remotely get interested in it.

Same. Nightmare rarely adds any new (or meaningful, anyway) mechanics to the bosses, so it's just the same thing as Hard except now you take 3x as much damage and the bosses take 3x as many hits to kill. Which is literally the opposite of good design.

I like the simplicity of 1&2 but I also like a lot of the stuff they've piled on since, even if they've stumbled in places. I love that the series is still kicking around all these decades later

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Looks grey and salt & sanctuary-y, not super interested in that stuff

I hear you on this but apparently there is a lot more graphical diversity past the first few areas

the second area alone is nice and green (though still underground), reminds me a lot of the art style used in the environments for viewtiful joe

I was okay with the similar aesthetics all through out but apparently that's not the case and the art really is stunning, especially when you see the backgrounds in motion

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's ok but I stopped playing it like five zones in or something because it's perfectly happy putting the respawn point three platforming rooms away from a boss and that gets real old after a while, considering there's like, 30 bosses and they are all kinda difficult. It's an ok game but it has some flaws and it's not for everyone, but I'm happy a lot of people can enjoy it :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

That's crazy to me. I can understand watching movies while you're button-mashing in an action game or grinding XP in an RPG, but reading a story and watching a movie at the same time is super genius poo poo

I mean I don't do it with movies or shows I'm watching for the first time or paying a lot of attention to. I'm talking more of like, putting on The Great British Baking Show. And Phoenix Wright games are so slow (not plot-wise, I mean the games are literally slow with 3 second animations for every line of dialogue) that it gives me plenty of time to pay attention to both.

I also sometimes read books while I watch TV. I don't understand people who can't do this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Galciv 2 mechanics range from completely boring, to completely broken. For example, there is no differentiation between citizens and soldiers. So military buffs buff you entire population. So the easiest way conquer enemy planets is to build every infantry upgrade, then switch to agriculture focus and create a baby boom. That put most of your planet's population on dropships and drop them on an enemy planet. Repeat on each planet you conquer. Combat is hilariously​ simplistic and the economy even more so. The ai is not very good, and there's no multiplayer. The tech tree is completely linear, uograding from​. Laser 1 to laser 2 to laser 15.

To this day it baffles me how this game got any praise from anyone.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Red Bones posted:

It's ok but I stopped playing it like five zones in or something because it's perfectly happy putting the respawn point three platforming rooms away from a boss and that gets real old after a while, considering there's like, 30 bosses and they are all kinda difficult. It's an ok game but it has some flaws and it's not for everyone, but I'm happy a lot of people can enjoy it :shrug:

I can see that. It really does feel like a love letter to metroidvanias, which is right up my alley!

We'll see how warm I am towards the devs once I get to the later areas

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I like the simplicity of 1&2 but I also like a lot of the stuff they've piled on since, even if they've stumbled in places. I love that the series is still kicking around all these decades later

Yeah I like them all really, it's just that the games have gotten so big and lengthy and full of 'stuff' with the recent entries. Need to go back to the beginning for a palette cleanser before 8 hits.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
maybe it's cuz i didn't play the older ones but I really like the party system

it's a fun way to mix things up rather than play as red haired Adventure Boy yet again, and there's something so addicting about unlocking new skills/leveling them up

not that the series has particularly compelling character designs but still...

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You also don't really need to 'mix things up' so much when your games are 8-12 hours long instead of 30-40.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the character switching but MoC was my first ys game

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Were the latest YS games 30 to 40 hours? I forget but I wanna say they were a brisk 20

Either way I never felt that 7 or Memories dragged on, and in general multiple characters are fun if done well

Charlotte! Jonathan! Charlotte! Jonathan!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

Galciv 2 mechanics range from completely boring, to completely broken. For example, there is no differentiation between citizens and soldiers. So military buffs buff you entire population. So the easiest way conquer enemy planets is to build every infantry upgrade, then switch to agriculture focus and create a baby boom. That put most of your planet's population on dropships and drop them on an enemy planet. Repeat on each planet you conquer. Combat is hilariously​ simplistic and the economy even more so. The ai is not very good, and there's no multiplayer. The tech tree is completely linear, uograding from​. Laser 1 to laser 2 to laser 15.

To this day it baffles me how this game got any praise from anyone.

There was a drought of space strategy games

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'd have to check my save files but I definitely clocked over 30 on my first run of Ys7, recall Celceta being pretty close to that but it might have been a bit shy of 30. Celceta felt a lot less lengthy though, 7 was just dragging it's rear end over the finish line.

Genesis Ys3 was my first Ys game :downs: And then PS2 Ys6 after that :downs:

(I actually like Ys6 a lot though, just not the PS2 version)

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 20, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Is Night in the Woods one of those games where my responses are subtly affecting the world state in ways I'm unaware of, or am I mostly just down for the ride?

It's a good story so far but hella depressing, as expected.

the main thing is just that there's only so much time to spend so if you are with one friend you're not with the others

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There was a drought of space strategy games

yeah it came out in like 04 or whatever and was very cool then.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every time people bring up Ys I remember it as a side scrolling not very good game series but I rarely look any further into it and now I'm seeing that apparently I was thinking only of Ys 3?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

precision posted:

Every time people bring up Ys I remember it as a side scrolling not very good game series but I rarely look any further into it and now I'm seeing that apparently I was thinking only of Ys 3?

Yep that's the original Ys 3. You probably played it on SNES or Genesis like most people did.

It was pretty bad, but Oath is a remake of it that is very very good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Red Bones posted:

I just ran into this issue with Momodora 4 yesterday. Luckily the bosses are all easy enough to get on the third try at most. Still, it's frustrating when games put tough platforming in between big bosses and save points.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I just ran into this issue with Momodora 4 yesterday. Luckily the bosses are all easy enough to get on the third try at most. Still, it's frustrating when games put tough platforming in between big bosses and save points.

Yeah I'm not sure why it's in the game really. Beating bosses to me just involves trying them over and over and learning how to fight them and I enjoy that learning process, and repeating the same platforming section over and over doesn't add anything to that, it just adds busy work. I'd rather just respawn outside the boss room.

Anyway I have complained about it in this thread before and I got bored with the game and stopped playing, so I don't wanna be whining about it over and over. I dig that the game is about bugs and I hope there's more games about bug people in the future because it makes for really fun character designs.

Red Bones fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 21, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

:newlol:

Lizard Wizard posted:

when it's 8am and you haven't had your chaos emeralds yet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes, things like putting Duke Nukem into Bulletstorm, sounds great to me

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Red Bones posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why it's in the game really. Beating bosses to me just involves trying them over and over and learning how to fight them and I enjoy that learning process, and repeating the same platforming section over and over doesn't add anything to that, it just adds busy work. I'd rather just respawn outside the boss room.

I very much feel this. I get why people like platforming sections and fall deaths (I like them too, they increase the tension) but in games where most of the focus is on the boss fights in a Souls-y way, this specific scenario is just needlessly frustrating.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, things like putting Duke Nukem into Bulletstorm, sounds great to me

Did you know that Gearbox recently took the original release of Bulletstorm off of Steam to try and get people to buy their remaster?

Did you know that they did the same thing with their Duke Nukem 3D remaster, and it still only sold around half a million copies?

Did you know that Randy Pitchford is totally not mad, and that it is in fact you who is mad for making fun of him?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Randy Pitchford standing outside of people's houses holding up a boombox playing "baby come back."

Please play Battleborn.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm doubtful that Gearbox working on any project could be considered an optimal outcome tbh.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I got a hankering for a good city building game. Was Anno 2205 really bad? I feel like no one talks about it at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll check my playtime on VIII but it's a pretty bigass game but it also has totally insane new developments like "camera control"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Propaganda Hour posted:

I got a hankering for a good city building game. Was Anno 2205 really bad? I feel like no one talks about it at all.

i played whatever one came out after 1404 and i didn't like it nearly as much. also cities: skylines is good of course

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven't tried it but Planet Coaster seemed cool

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

oddium posted:

i played whatever one came out after 1404 and i didn't like it nearly as much. also cities: skylines is good of course

2770. Yeah, that one was fine but not as good as 1404. I have like 300 hours in Cities: Skylines and I think I'm done.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Had an unexpected day off from work, figured i could get all sorts of stuff done.

And i did, assuming playing Nier:A all day counts as "lots of stuff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Propaganda Hour posted:

yeh it was

• Locked thread