Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

SickZip posted:

There's already mods that have made Undead horde factions. There's one that takes Krell from regular VC and makes him the leader of a horde that starts near Brettonia

What mod is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Losers' bracket update: RipVanWinkle vs Zearoth

Game 1:
Greenskins (RipVanWinkle) Vs Empire (Zearoth)
Winner: Zearoth

Game 2:
Beastmen (RipVanWinkle) Vs Chaos (Zearoth)
Winner: Zearoth

Results: RipVanWinkle 0 - Zearoth 2

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Hryme posted:

How do you guys deal with all the armies running around in march mode just outside of the range of being able to be attacked? I feel all I do in this game is chase armies around. I am only able to fight siege battles. I guess the only chance is the block army action?

Use an agent to foul up their movement. Get a weaker army with a strong one in ambush stance near it, or put your army in ambush stance near a juicy undefended town.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gallant uses a combination of planning, ambush stance, and agents to deal with AI forces that are avoiding conflict.

Goofus never builds garrison structures and mods the problem away.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Chomp8645 posted:

Gallant uses a combination of planning, ambush stance, and agents to deal with AI forces that are avoiding conflict.

There are definitely ways to deal with the AI playing keep away constantly, but it's legitimately really annoying to deal with sometimes. Both Ambush and Block Army are heavily RNG based - you can be detected while ambushing and Block Army fails quite often unless you're blocking lords dozens of levels below your blocker heroes. I've played coop campaigns with a friend where he's failed to block an army 7 times in a row on coinflip chances with Waystalkers, who are good at it. Garrison buildings are also pretty lovely because they're so mandatory that every satellite town might as well have one less building slot by default.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The mod i use makes it cost 100% of base movement to enter March stance. This means that on the first turn you only move half of your normal movement and it only makes sense to March if you will be marching for several consecutive turns.

Adhibhautika
Feb 28, 2004
Evil Beast of a Thousand bodies
Oh, I have an extra copy of the base game here:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=XdVv8r3TXbDNazAr

Have fun!
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE and all that!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mukip posted:

I'm inclined to give it another go, actually. Maybe I'll do a diplomatic Empire legendary LP.

I'd also like to see this.

Does anyone know why Marienburg has a 'trespass' diplo penalty against the Empire? I just started a Volkmar playthrough and they had it despite my never entering their territory. Until I invaded them because they refused any diplomatic contact. They didn't even have 'Imperial Distrust'.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's simply a beginning of the game modifier so they'll like you less straight off.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chomp8645 posted:

Gallant mods the game to enhance and add features he likes and remove or alter features he dislikes

Goofus smugs out on the internet because he enjoys or tolerates mechanics that Gallant doesn't

Ambush stance sucks bc it promotes static reactionary play and bc ambush battles are only fun if they're rare.
Agents on the campaign map suck for so many reasons. The coinflip, the fact that it detracts from using them where they're fun in battles, the fact that you have to choose between campaign and battle skills, the fact that you're expected to send some to the furthest-flung corners of the map for quests.

I get why the AI needs perfect campaign map movement but finding it frustrating is very valid, agents are sloggy and dicey and setting obvious repeated ambush traps is not fun or especially tactical. It's double frustrating when it's like Grimgor playing keepaway. COME AT ME, the campaign is a justification for fun battles.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think you are misunderstanding how ambush stance works. You're using it for strategic invisibility, not actual ambushes. You're best served by using it to *attack*, by sneaking up on enemies.

I don't really get the complaint that agent usage detracts from using them in battles. It's actually a good complement? Using them on the map builds their exp levels at a vastly faster rate, which boosts their effectiveness when they participate in battle. In turn when they are low on hp, or just happen to have move points left, you can pull them out of the army and still get usefulness out of them. The best agent use is not to keep them in an army or out of an army, but to bounce them in and out.

It's okay to mod for a smoother experience, I just wish gallant would make the effort to figure out what the mechanical significance of what they are complaining about actually is before modding it out.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You don't sneak up on them, you hide by a comically obvious target and let them blunder into range, and the same faction will fall for it again and again. Also you might just be spotted and waste your turn. Tactics!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

vintagepurple posted:

You don't sneak up on them, you hide by a comically obvious target and let them blunder into range, and the same faction will fall for it again and again. Also you might just be spotted and waste your turn. Tactics!

I sneak up on them.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'd also like to see this.

Does anyone know why Marienburg has a 'trespass' diplo penalty against the Empire? I just started a Volkmar playthrough and they had it despite my never entering their territory. Until I invaded them because they refused any diplomatic contact. They didn't even have 'Imperial Distrust'.

it's a nod to the lore. Marienburg was the capital of an Empire province, the Westerlands, that bought it's independence from an extremely corrupt emperor. As such they generally play a neutral buffer between Bretonnia and The Empire. They're sort of a historical nod to The Netherlands. I imagine they start at war with Bretonnia for balance atm.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the smartest AI isn't capable of playing like a human, so you need to give them advantages like being able to stay out of reach or annoying rear end agents that slow you down. Obviously it's not always ideal from a gameplay perspective, but even on legendary every campaign basically boils down to "how many turns until I win?"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Heroes of Might and Magic series had the same issues where the AI knew exactly how close it could get to you without you reaching them, and would pounce on your towns without mercy the moment you were 1.1 turns away from racing back. At least that game had a lot more ways to boost your movement,and every race didn't suffer movement penalties when moving through their 'native' terrain.

Tier 3 Logistics all day, every day!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the smartest AI isn't capable of playing like a human, so you need to give them advantages like being able to stay out of reach or annoying rear end agents that slow you down. Obviously it's not always ideal from a gameplay perspective, but even on legendary every campaign basically boils down to "how many turns until I win?"

Being able to stay out of reach by doing calculations on move distances isn't an artificial advantage, it's basically one of the only ways to make the AI harder purely by making it smart. An AI that suicides stacks into yours, or leaves easy targets within your reach would require compensating buffs to maintain the challenge.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Does anyone have some quick tips for playing as the Bretonnians? I played as everyone (except Empire for some reason) when this game came out, got the DLC on sale recently and charged into an elf campaign, couldn't really get a decent income going, ended up annoying too many French sounding knights who came and burned the forest down. Time to start again as a new faction.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Brasseye posted:

Does anyone have some quick tips for playing as the Bretonnians? I played as everyone (except Empire for some reason) when this game came out, got the DLC on sale recently and charged into an elf campaign, couldn't really get a decent income going, ended up annoying too many French sounding knights who came and burned the forest down. Time to start again as a new faction.

Regardless of what faction you are, spend the first 20 turns beating down the greenskin incursions to level up your lord(s), then seek fights outside of Bretonnia. Work your way to the point where people start to confederate with you - once you get one or two of them, they tend to snowball and you can confederate most or all of them in short order.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just fought off the chaos incursion

wiped out most of the stacks sent against me, archaon managed to escape and flee into the wastes where i couldn't pursue without disgusting attrition. so i had five stacks parked in kislev for a bit until i remembered to put them onto Ambush stance

archaon then slowly and gingerly minced back into the old world, whereupon i assassinated him with a witch hunter (the same witch hunter had previously assassinated the lord of change) and auto-resolved his stack using balthazar gelt

i mean sometimes you just don't want all that drama, y'know?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Don't be too scared of being unchivalrous once in a while. Sacking a town or two, or raiding a bit, or hostaging somewhat really helps.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fangz posted:

Don't be too scared of being unchivalrous once in a while. Sacking a town or two, or raiding a bit, or hostaging somewhat really helps.

Yeah if you do nothing unchivalrous you can easily get the required chivalry amount by turn 100 or so. You have plenty of leeway to do unchivalrous stuff and still progress/win just fine.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah if you do nothing unchivalrous you can easily get the required chivalry amount by turn 100 or so. You have plenty of leeway to do unchivalrous stuff and still progress/win just fine.

How do you make money as carcassone? I had that problem when I played. Farms and Windmills didn't seem to do it.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Exmond posted:

How do you make money as carcassone? I had that problem when I played. Farms and Windmills didn't seem to do it.

As Carcassonne you're perfectly placed to take Estalia and then all those ports make you lots of cash (and owning it all makes it even easier to confederate the rest of Bretonnia).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

If you want to cheese it, you can be unchivalrous and hit maximum chivalry by turn 40, as soon as your province rebels kill it and have a lord start raiding it to trigger the next one immediately and you'll soon have super combatant lords to boot.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 20, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you want to cheese it, you can be unchivalrous and hit maximum chivalry by turn 40, as soon as your province rebels kill it and have a lord start raiding it to trigger the next one immediately and you'll soon have super combatant lords to boot.

This is and chain-sacking is also how you get the "have three level 30 heroes" achievement, by the way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you find two settlements you can drive in between every turn just sacking and fighting their small garrisons, then baby, you got yourself a stew.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm trying to figure out a reasonable 20 stack to take on Chaos as the Empire.

Halberdiers seem like an obvious choice but I've read online that they attack so slowly that their damage ends up being worse than swordsmen against armor. I tried a few test battles and it seems like all imperial infantry is equally terrible.

So far I've narrowed it down to a minimum of two units of crossbows, one for each flank to deal with marauder horse archers and no rockets because they kill more of my infantry than my opponents. Otherwise at a loss.

Also planning a second expedition north to raze more nord settlements before the invasion begins. One stack exhausted itself by the third village. Thinking of bringing two this time with some warrior priests providing improved reinforcement %.

I've limited myself to 3 provinces, as per the thread recommendation (took the wastelands in war, confederated with nuln), and it has made defense a lot easier since things aren't so spread out. It is also kinda nice not triggering the chaos invasion really early.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 20, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Halberdiers seem like an obvious choice but I've read online that they attack so slowly that their damage ends up being worse than swordsmen against armor. I tried a few test battles and it seems like all imperial infantry is equally terrible.

So far I've narrowed it down to a minimum of two units of crossbows, one for each flank to deal with marauder horse archers and no rockets because they kill more of my infantry than my opponents. Otherwise at a loss.

Also planning a second expedition north to raze more nord settlements before the invasion begins. One stack exhausted itself by the third village. Thinking of bringing two this time with some warrior priests providing improved reinforcement %.

I've limited myself to 3 provinces, as per the thread recommendation, and it has made defense a lot easier since things aren't so spread out. It is also kinda nice not triggering the chaos invasion really early.
Bring guns. You want cannons, handgunners, and then a mix of halberdiers and greatswords for your line infantry. Greatswords won't win against Chaos infantry in a head-to-head but you need them to pin the enemy down for your guns, demigryphs, and steam tanks to do their work.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've limited myself to 3 provinces, as per the thread recommendation (took the wastelands in war, confederated with nuln), and it has made defense a lot easier since things aren't so spread out. It is also kinda nice not triggering the chaos invasion really early.

Are you facing Chaos proper or Norsca? For the latter you want lots of crossbows, and swordsmen, and some other cheapo stuff.

Against Chaos proper, you want AP. Handgunners, greatswords, demigriffs, great cannons, steam tanks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fangz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8f9PytRCU0

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fangz posted:

Are you facing Chaos proper or Norsca? For the latter you want lots of crossbows, and swordsmen, and some other cheapo stuff.

Against Chaos proper, you want AP. Handgunners, greatswords, demigriffs, great cannons, steam tanks.

Both! In my experience the simultaneous invasion of both Nord factions does just as much damage as the actual forces of chaos. I'm planning on sending two armies north, one via sea to deal with Nords and one by land to fight Chaos. Since my holdings are small it'll take a long time to reach my destination, which means screwing up army composition could be disastrous.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Whatever you go with I'd consider backing up each stack with a reserve stack, upkeep be damned. Doesn't have to be anything incredible, lots of handgunners and halberdiers will do, but it gives you a little backup if you run into several chaos stacks at once, which you will. My first campaign was an Empire game that ended with a huge climactic battle of Karl Franz and his elite stack, an allied garrison force, and a reserve stack against a mess of monstrous chaos stacks. Archaon, Big Bird, lost track of how many chaos giants they had, that kind of poo poo. Karl Franz and his elite units did great work but the chaos units just kept pouring in and eventually all the steam tanks and demigryphs and artillery were dead and all we had left was a grim line of the Empire infantry volley firing into the nastiest poo poo imaginable as the enemy charged and broke and charged and broke. We won, eventually. But I never would have survived without the reserve.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Definitely have an agent scouting ahead of you, you do not want to get stuck with your pants down against a bunch of full stacks.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Please don't kinkshame, getting caught by multiple chaos stacks with my pants down is how I do warhammer

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah, a slaanesh cultist

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JQKJ7Ym9g-c2tvSGNFX3ZFVTg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JQKJ7Ym9g-eXNfdThWWFRfcFU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4JQKJ7Ym9g-eGpubTlaUVc1MU0

Congrats to ChickenWing. Good luck with the rest of your games!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm new to the Total War games and I'm getting pretty pasted my first few campaigns.

What should my early game look like? How do I get better at the tactical layer? Any let's plays worth watching?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Game 1: Dwarves v Orcs. I went with a longbeard front line, dragonback slayers for big damage against big dudes, and hammerers for the inevitable black orks, spiced with some quarrelers for good measure. Two units of cannon promoted to level 4 in case of giants/arachnaroks, which proved insanely useful when queen spider came around. Micro issues led to a whole bunch of squigs and wolves in my back line, but luckily quarrelers can stand their own. Once again, I proved that I cannot be trusted with caster lords, as my runelord blew his load and then promptly got owned by two goblin big bosses. Longbeards pulled their weight in the front line though, which took ages to break and only really did so in the center. Game ended once I realized that my cannons were just waiting for my dudes to get the gently caress away from the last remaining heroes so they could get cannoned.

Game 2: Empire v Chaos. Sometimes I get into a fight and just have no idea how I managed to pick quite so badly. This was one of those times, as I realized that BadOptics had fully double my unit count. Four units of greatswords does not a front line make vs a whole fuckton of chaos infantry with dragon ogres (including big daddy kholek). My handgunners did not pull their weight, and doubly so for my helblaster. I think I may just give up on trying to micro light wizards + handgunners in general.

Game 3: Vampire Counts v Beastmen. Vlad is a motherfucker. I chose a mixed frontline of skeletons and cairn wraiths and gave all my heroes nehek + raise dead. I figured I'd be able to keep everything healthy, and keeping nehek up on the cairn wraiths would let me cruise to victory against beastmen, who I figured didn't have much magic damage. I then promptly tunnel visioned and horribly mismanaged everything and only won because necromancers on corpse carts are surprisingly durable, raise dead is loving amazing, and max regen Vlad will never die and in fact will kill all of the minotaurs forever. Shoutout goes to the wind of death that I thought I aimed really well, but in fact hit almost nothing and completely owned a previously pretty healthy chunk of skellingtons and zombies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cCxc4mKxyWeERGbmlaWWtnZVE - Game 1

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cCxc4mKxyWYnZxVGlHOEtuOEk - Game 2

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1cCxc4mKxyWdDFsVzhhOTA4QzQ - Game 3

Game 1: Bretonnia v. Von Cartsein
I went with a full cav composition. Cav archers to lure or wittle segments, shock cav to flank and grail guardians and knights to do the heavy dmg while my lord and one unit of hippos control the sky. came close but couldn't smash his ROR or heroes and there was a sudden chain rout and I have NO clue why. perhaps someone can check this one?

Game 2: Empire v Dwarves
This had to be done as Bad Optics accidentally chose 2 RORs, giving me a chance to replay my terrible game. I went for 2 cannons, and 4 hand cannoners and 2 skirmish cav to carve up the dwarves. My cannons got lucky and blew him away, forcing him to the field while my cav harassed him from the flank and handgunners shot his charge down. I'm not sure what he could have done unfortunately.

Game 3: Dwarves v. Beastmen
This one almost wrecked me, I had a decent basic line with some ranged/siege and gimmick units on the side his beast hounds flanked me and rendered me unable to fire while he forced his advance. my Ironbreakers, rifles and flames eventually prevailed despite my lord dying. I think he would have done much better if observers hadn't caused lag :/

Godlovesus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread