Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Sprite141 posted:

I'm getting this too, though it started about an hour ago for me.

Edit: I kinda feel bad for ignoring the orbfest, but half price dungeons is exactly what I need to get over this hump. I'm super far behind, and half of the stuff I need to do is from before the stamina consolidation. So everything is normally 80-100 stamina an elite stage. Knocking those out faster will let me pretend to play catchup I guess.

Orbfest drop rates are worse than the upcoming dungeons. Outside of getting XP and orbs at the same time they aren't that special.

Don't feel bad, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fister Roboto posted:

The FF2 U++ is pretty fun, it's kind of the opposite of a dps race because if you push him too hard you'll get super hosed. On the other hand, if you can bring an Mblink you can just ignore the scripted Holy XVI and Starfall XVI and beat him down fast, especially if you can also bring Raines' BSB.

You can actually burst him fast enough and force him to go into his second set of Dispel > Slow > Starfall commands before he even uses Holy, or even the first set of Slow. He's pretty soft outside of Flare XVI in his initial phase, so you can set things up without too much worry.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, this current Orbfest is nice as an all-in-one shopping destination, but the upcoming dailies are just better at the job, so if you have other things to do with your stamina like events or catching up on story dungeons thanks to the half stamina, feel free (though note, half stamina does last past the end of the orbfest, and the 5th phase of orbfest is just materials, so there's true dead time then).

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

make sure you get all the mythril from orbfest though

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

The animation for Kerplode XXXII is as hilarious as its name.

I'm so mad that someone else got Sephiroth's Supernova, I swear.

In other news, the worst thing ever is when you're playing on a phone and someone calls right as you start MP. Thanks, telemarketing rear end in a top hat, now I have to go find another pubbie group to do this with :argh:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Zurai posted:

Yeah, this current Orbfest is nice as an all-in-one shopping destination, but the upcoming dailies are just better at the job, so if you have other things to do with your stamina like events or catching up on story dungeons thanks to the half stamina, feel free (though note, half stamina does last past the end of the orbfest, and the 5th phase of orbfest is just materials, so there's true dead time then).

I have so much dungeoneering to catch up on that I don't have the xii cid mission dungeon unlocked. I think I might be about 1/3 of the way through them. I never really bothered keeping up since I had about 120 stamina and events gave far better rewards.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I took today off of Orbfest to clear the FF2 event. But I'll be right back on the grind soon. I just figured the phase that gives you the orb you likely have the most of (Power) is the one most useful to take a break on.

I have all of the dungeon stages cleared, so it's just event stuff that's bickering at me. They're not extending everything to last past Orbfest like they did last time, or at least not the FF2 event, so I had to get this done now. For fun I'm just trying to get every non-core character to level 80, and that journey's gone pretty well so far. There's going to be an EXP dungeon as part of the upcoming Cloud of Darkness event too, right? Keep it coming, DeNA, my grinding will never end.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Okay so Vanille & Y'shtola combo time update!

Holy poo poo this works really well, 160's aren't an issue and I haven't tried the torment dungeons yet.

RW - Onion Knight BSB Hastega/Boostga/Faithga

Y'shtola - Prot/Resist Breakdown & Curaja - Stoneskin 2 with instant materia < Uses RW BSB
Vanille - Shell & Diaga/Whatever Black - Instant Medica BSB, by time it's over it's back up
Emperor - Memento & Dark Zone - 8x Dark Single and Reflect Damage SSB < Dear God this works great with Vanille, always take the 5k to the face and then ask for another
Faris - Armor Breakdown & Thief's Revenge - Full Break+ BSB with instant materia

Depending on the fight:
Bartz - Lifesiphon & Spellblade/Tempo - Trueblade(Def up) and Light of the Four(BSB) < Phys Bosses
Beatrix - Lifesiphon & Saint's Cross/Banishing - 8x Phys Single and Party Magic Blink < Magic Bosses

Thanks a million guys for getting me fixed up after the 6 month break. I look forward to drawing something in the next week that will make me change all of this up.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

OneTwentySix posted:

Normally it doesn't shut me out this long, it's been a few hours for me.

The Android/google account error login fix that's 100% worked for me is to do the following:
close the game
Change your advanced date/time settings. make it manual and then change your actual time to be a few hours ahead.
Open the game, it should load normally.

Go back and fix your time.

I actually got the error today and this worked.

About the banners, definitely going to wait to see if Maria BSB appears on a fest banner before drawing here. I kind of want to, but there's a few upcoming banners I should probably save for.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Standard operating procedure for festival banners, in both global and Japan, is to exclude relics which have been on event banners in the previous month or so. We'll know the fest banner contents before the FF2 event goes away so it's no big deal, but don't expect any FF2 BSB or OSB to be on them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How much more free mythril is getting given away before the anniversary banners disappear, anyway?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zurai posted:

Standard operating procedure for festival banners, in both global and Japan, is to exclude relics which have been on event banners in the previous month or so. We'll know the fest banner contents before the FF2 event goes away so it's no big deal, but don't expect any FF2 BSB or OSB to be on them.

That's something I'm considering. You're probably right but I might as well wait until it's confirmed--Maria's BSB appeared in the original Japan Anniversary. Anyway, either way the quality of those banners will probably decide a lot of things. There's quite a few really good relics coming up in future banners (also Extreme Fest in Japan was ridiculous compared to their anniversary) so I might have to be rather judicious about my spending. I need synergy in I, II, IV, VI, XI, and XII still. I'm hoping for some luck this fest, as I could potentially start CM'ing more events if things go well.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How much more free mythril is getting given away before the anniversary banners disappear, anyway?

We'll get over 100 on the day of the anniversary. 50 from the Mythril Dungeon, 47 from the minigame rewards (assuming we hit the Find-the-Heroes game targets), plus a little from login bonuses and orbfest or record missions, etc.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Zurai posted:

We'll get over 100 on the day of the anniversary. 50 from the Mythril Dungeon, 47 from the minigame rewards (assuming we hit the Find-the-Heroes game targets), plus a little from login bonuses and orbfest or record missions, etc.

Oh wow, that's more than I was expecting. Thanks for the info!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'm getting antsy! I want poo poo to pull on!~

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 20, 2017

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I really wanted to pull on FFII banner 2 because I really want to get my hands on the Maria OSB or BSB, but when I have 3 dupes from it, and three copies of two of those, I'm not willing to risk it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm getting antsy! I want poo poo to pull on!~

Same. I keep hovering over the FF2 banners because I have a couple hundred mithril not counting what we've still got incoming, my 2 synergy sucks, and I haven't done the Red Soul mote dungeon or FF2 Torment yet, but...

show us the dang festival banners ffs

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

wizard on a water slide posted:

show us the dang festival banners ffs

They'll probably be mined either shortly before or during the lucky draws.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

KataraniSword posted:

They'll probably be mined either shortly before or during the lucky draws.

I might have to wait almost 48 more hours to know and that is just unacceptable

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The longer we wait the more likely I am to pull again on FF2.

Speaking of which, I'm finding it hard to find what the thresholds are for Firion's OSB. So far its been underwhelming, but a large part of that is due to just grinding him up the old fashioned way with orbfest since I ran out of growth eggs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Don't pull on ff2 unless you really like a character . Even Japan hasn't gotten a ff2 event since this one.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Welp, I spent 100 mythril pulling on the FFII Banner 2. I got my fourth and fifth Flame Shields, along with all 3 bursts available on the banner (Maria, Leon, and Gordo). So that plus the Healing Staff I already had got me what I needed to beat the Torment CM. The extra flame shields helped nicely with the fire damage.

Everyone should pull forever on this banner.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

The longer we wait the more likely I am to pull again on FF2.

Speaking of which, I'm finding it hard to find what the thresholds are for Firion's OSB. So far its been underwhelming, but a large part of that is due to just grinding him up the old fashioned way with orbfest since I ran out of growth eggs.

Multiplier is x11.25/12.50/13.75 changing at 9 and 22 "Attacks". There's a detailed description that appeared in game when the event started of what counts as an attack, but just consider them as damage dealing actions, and multi-hit abilities count as one action.

For reference the standard Physical OSB is a flat x12 (Cloud/Tidus/Squall ect.), and the standard Single Target physical SSB is x8.

It's in the OP, but as a reminder Enlir's FFRK Database is pretty much an amazing tool when you need to look up something specific.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 21, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok wtf is the strat for the apoc black knights? Why the gently caress doesn't Tauntaliate work?!?! :mad:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ok wtf is the strat for the apoc black knights? Why the gently caress doesn't Tauntaliate work?!?! :mad:

I went 2/2 with Pubbies at 160 and 200. If you can bring either or both Wall and Multibreak, that goes a long way into making the fight much more bearable. I also had my guys wearing KO resist accessories for that strong lower left knight's drat ultimate attack.

The 3 weaker knights have pretty low HP so if your team has any kind of decent AOE attacks (while still having someone focusing on one or two at a time to stagger their weak statuses) and medica BSBs it's pretty simple.

I brought Minfilia and Y'shtola with Wall/Asylum and Last Stand to ensure survival in the final wave.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

iamsosmrt posted:

The 3 weaker knights have pretty low HP so if your team has any kind of decent AOE attacks (while still having someone focusing on one or two at a time to stagger their weak statuses)

This seems to be a common misconception for some reason. There are no "weak" phases in this fight in terms of the individual enemy HP. All of the knights in waves 2 and 3 have forced AOE attacks at turn 4 and 3 (and repeating in that many turns), respectively.

I recommend killing the bottom-left (strongest) knight first on the first wave, and save AOE. Then on the second and third waves, use your AOE to kill the lower-hp knights as quickly as possible. If you don't, they will all eventually attack your team with AOE stunning attacks. One thing you do have to watch out for in this strategy is that if you hang around for too long in wave 1 you may end up with several people hit with debuffs (confuse/blind/sleep). The only one of these that is that problematic is blind on a physical character, or if confuse/sleep hit on one of your AOE users just before you transition to the next phase.

One of the problems with this fight seems to be that people use their bursts and buffs right at the start of the fight which seem to wear off right around the start of the third wave, which is absolutely the worst time for this to happen. If you follow the strategy above, you can cast wall and protectga at the start of the fight and then not really worry about them wearing off, since if you kill the other 3 knights quickly with AOE, the only knight left will have piercing attacks anyway so your defense won't matter. It might be wise to save bursts (particularly those that can't build enough gauge to be immediately recast) until near the end of wave 1 or even beginning of wave 2 so that your DPS doesn't suddenly halt when wave 3 starts.

I do agree with bringing ATK-debuff dance (exhausting polka?) and Multi-Break dance, as these will be immensely helpful. Also a stacking ATK debuff (like ATK/MAG or ATK/DEF etc) will be helpful, particularly against the stronger bottom-left knights who all have defense-piercing attacks.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ah, good points. I'll defer to your advice, that all adds up.

I remember a few people bashing Arise/Curaise a little awhile ago. I gotta say, it helped out in this fight. My Minfilia was halfway towards her Guts ability when she got nuked by like 3 counters in a row. Someone Arised her, and I was able to get Last Stand in just in time to cover everyone. Plus an Asylum afterwards,

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'll probably do a single pull tonight, I have VI synergy out the rear end but Edgar and Locke have both worked their way into my A Team rotation.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

iamsosmrt posted:

Ah, good points. I'll defer to your advice, that all adds up.

I remember a few people bashing Arise/Curaise a little awhile ago. I gotta say, it helped out in this fight. My Minfilia was halfway towards her Guts ability when she got nuked by like 3 counters in a row. Someone Arised her, and I was able to get Last Stand in just in time to cover everyone. Plus an Asylum afterwards,

Yeah I could see a place for raising abilities here, particularly since if only the bottom-left knights are left there will only be defense piercing attacks anyway, so the raised person's buffs don't matter as much.

Also since you brought up Asylum, one of the runs that I was a part of used Asylum very early in the first wave and this created a problem with gaining soul-break gauge since the bubble preventing damage also prevents gaining SB gauge when you're hit. So if you have someone using Asylum I would recommend to save it for the 2nd wave if possible. If you get mitigation up and kill the bottom-left knight in the first wave quickly enough then the damage is pretty manageable.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
When's the next time that Edgar's OSB comes up? I think it's the only AoE OSB so far.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

flowinprose posted:

One of the problems with this fight seems to be that people use their bursts and buffs right at the start of the fight which seem to wear off right around the start of the third wave, which is absolutely the worst time for this to happen. If you follow the strategy above, you can cast wall and protectga at the start of the fight and then not really worry about them wearing off, since if you kill the other 3 knights quickly with AOE, the only knight left will have piercing attacks anyway so your defense won't matter. It might be wise to save bursts (particularly those that can't build enough gauge to be immediately recast) until near the end of wave 1 or even beginning of wave 2 so that your DPS doesn't suddenly halt when wave 3 starts.

Yeah I saw this a lot, with party members going all out at the start and having Burst Mode running out at the worst possible time. To counteract this I gave Maria the Knight's Charge RM. You slowly build up your first SB gauge, so you'll be relying on your abilities for the first wave, but once you fire off your BSB you never run out of Burst Mode because you're getting hit often enough to keep the gauge full. Hell, by the end of the fight I had enough SB gauge left over to Kerplode the final lower left knight for 94000 and end it before things got too nasty.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

1st AD posted:

When's the next time that Edgar's OSB comes up? I think it's the only AoE OSB so far.
Never.

I think there was a 6* only Lucky Draw in the last Japanese Fest, but lots of 6*s don't reappear.

Next FF6 event in Japan is supposed to be Gogo and Umaro in April, so there's a slim chance it'll reappear there, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edit: I'm personally hoping Gau gets an OSB, mainly since a BSB is sorta incompatible with Rages. And he's gone like 2 events with no items.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 21, 2017

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

pichupal posted:

Never.

I think there was a 6* only Lucky Draw in the last Japanese Fest, but lots of 6*s don't reappear.

Next FF6 event in Japan is supposed to be Gogo and Umaro in April, so there's a slim chance it'll reappear there, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edit: I'm personally hoping Gau gets an OSB, mainly since a BSB is sorta incompatible with Rages. And he's gone like 2 events with no items.

I believe it'll be 3 with the one that just happened in Japan. Celes gets an awesome BSB that combines Runic with Burst mode though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

pichupal posted:

what about those chain relics? I'm fuzzy on how they work but they sound like a thing Gau would like

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Tauntaliate won't work because all of their attacks are NAT-typed. And for the same reason, any time a party member falls asleep you'll have to wake them up manually.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I also made the mistake of trying to tauntaliate. Luckily, I did it in the 160 fight instead of 200, so we still won, but I felt like kind of an rear end spamming the abilities after seeing it didn't work just so I could build up my BSB more quickly. Used a sword damage RM since I thought he'd be countering like crazy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

NGDBSS posted:

Tauntaliate won't work because all of their attacks are NAT-typed. And for the same reason, any time a party member falls asleep you'll have to wake them up manually.

What does NAT mean?

This seems like something that mages and summoners would be well suited for as long as the bottom left nerd gets picked on for each wave.

Thanks for the tips on waiting til after the first wave to press BSBs. I think that will help a lot.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Elephant Ambush posted:

What does NAT mean?

Not A Type, basically it fails to follow any ability type classification.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not A Type, basically it fails to follow any ability type classification.

Jury's out if it's "Not A Type" or if it's an abbreviation of 'natural', aka inherent abilities that aren't any particular class. Some SBs are classed as NAT, typically mage ones. This is important mostly if there's mastery conditions ("no black magic vs boss", for example, means you could use Rinoa's Angelstar but not Terra's Trance Fira)

Either way, NAT-type attacks don't trigger any normal reactions (recovering from Sleep/Confuse, being affected by Draw Fire/Magic, being soaked by Retaliate/Grand Cross) and can be keyed to either Attack or Magic (whereas all PHY-type attacks are always based off of Attack and all BLK/SUM are based off of Magic). NAT-type magic also ignores reflect, for what it's worth.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
With the knights if you're going solo, what helped me was to bring my best AOE team and build up my SBs in the first phase, like leave the heartiest one alive and lifesiphon up. Then put on your big atk buffs right before he dies then go bananas on the coming phases. You don't want them hanging around.

• Locked thread