Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I think I rather object pokemon over "normal type bird/mammal with a funny haircut or angry eyes" or "mono water type pokemon that's literally just a fish or sea creature"

you best not be talkin poo poo about my friend toucannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Golurk's pretty heavy, at 700lb+. Golurk's also one of the few unambiguously heroic ghosts though, so it's already kind of running in exception territory.

golurk is a golem, so it's a ghost inhabiting a statue, which explains the weight

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

you best not be talkin poo poo about my friend toucannon

I am talking mess about Toucannon.

Why is he so angry?

Chill out Toucannon!

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Linkite et al. was one of the designs I alluded to earlier. :allears: I agree that the concept of Linkite itself wouldn't be out of place amongst all the ghosts that try to steal souls or are souls of dead humans, but at the same time I feel that within the context of Uranium, it's just one more brick in the house they built. Good to see we didn't have to go too far in for things to start blowing up.

CoffeeAvenger posted:

You can tell Uranium's trying to get all grimdark when that nuclear explosion theme makes absolutely no attempt to sound like Pokemon music. It's just "DUN DUDUN DUN DUN DUN"

To be fair, it's the same music used when Kyogre goes on a rampage in S/E/AS. Considering how many people think that Groudon's theme is Even Spookier, I wouldn't be surprised if that one comes up at any point too, unless it already did and I forgot :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

mandatory lesbian posted:

golurk is a golem, so it's a ghost inhabiting a statue, which explains the weight

Also, it learns Fly :hellyeah:

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016

MiracleFlare posted:

To be fair, it's the same music used when Kyogre goes on a rampage in S/E/AS. Considering how many people think that Groudon's theme is Even Spookier, I wouldn't be surprised if that one comes up at any point too, unless it already did and I forgot :v:

Ah, I played Ruby, so that explains why I haven't heard it then. Never mind me.

Still doesn't excuse Uranium, though.

Also, I'm okay with object pokemon because they add variety. Bronzong and Klefki are my buddies!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Honedge, the pokemon who is a sword, is the best and rules

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

CoffeeAvenger posted:

Ah, I played Ruby, so that explains why I haven't heard it then. Never mind me.

Still doesn't excuse Uranium, though.

Also, I'm okay with object pokemon because they add variety. Bronzong and Klefki are my buddies!

There are a lot of problems with Uranium. The soundtrack isn't one of them.

Really can't get over how hard they hosed the pooch on that ghost pokemon though. It looks stupid as poo poo. Like the concept is fine but they went with about the dumbest possible design. And that evolution is even worse holy poo poo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hammurabi posted:

There are a lot of problems with Uranium. The soundtrack isn't one of them.

Really can't get over how hard they hosed the pooch on that ghost pokemon though. It looks stupid as poo poo. Like the concept is fine but they went with about the dumbest possible design. And that evolution is even worse holy poo poo

The soundtrack is as bad as that second evolution :laffo:

There are a few good tracks but most of them are just way too...busy? Like there's way too much going on in them, even the more easy-going themes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't think the ball and chain connecting them to the pokeball is meant to be 'caught pokemon = slavery!!' but 'they are chained to the ball because they died in it,' like how ghosts haunt houses or whatever

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Endorph posted:

i don't think the ball and chain connecting them to the pokeball is meant to be 'caught pokemon = slavery!!' but 'they are chained to the ball because they died in it,' like how ghosts haunt houses or whatever

I've never played pokemon, but I know enough about it that now I'm suddenly expecting there to be a haunted computer pokemon from ones that were never picked back up.

Or something along those lines if I'm not horribly mistaken.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why we are talking so much about it. It is bad, OFS isn't evening using it and it is barely a pokemon and more a substitute doll poorly programed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Golurk's pretty heavy, at 700lb+. Golurk's also one of the few unambiguously heroic ghosts though, so it's already kind of running in exception territory.

Golurk is who it chooses to be.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Herr Tog posted:

I don't know why we are talking so much about it. It is bad, OFS isn't evening using it and it is barely a pokemon and more a substitute doll poorly programed.

can't say that without explaining

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Endorph posted:

Yeah, chains are a common enough ghost motif that I'm surprised they haven't appeared as part of a real pokemon's design yet, given they're the most literal possible metaphor for "attachment". Jacob Marley, for example.

The actual problem with Linkite's design is it has too many gimmicks. It uses a substitute doll; alright, I guess that's kind of an interesting idea. But it's also got that long, attention-drawing chain, and a prominent pokeball that takes up half of its design space, making it even less conventional. There are three separate ideas in play competing for attention, and they just don't gel.

I like weird and unusual pokemon, but you have to really narrow and focus your concept when you're doing something out of the usual, otherwise it just comes off as loving incomprehensible.

EDIT: It's not even a Ghost/Normal type. What a rip.

Classy Hydra fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 20, 2017

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

loquacius posted:

Honedge, the pokemon who is a sword, is the best and rules

Then it gets even better when it evolves. What could be better than a sword? TWO SWORDS!

And what's even better than two Swords? A really BIG SWORD!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GeneX posted:

Tomb of Horrors is actually fun though

Everybody who plays Tomb of Horrors knows 100% what it is and what they're getting into. It's not pretending to be normal D&D it was literally "Hi, I'm Gary Gygax, and I designed a module with the explicit intent of killing your characters. Let's see if you can beat me!"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SirPhoebos posted:

Also, it learns Fly :hellyeah:

He's one of my favorite Ghosts, but it's too bad Golurk can't learn Drill Run. :kamina:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Shugojin posted:

Everybody who plays Tomb of Horrors knows 100% what it is and what they're getting into. It's not pretending to be normal D&D it was literally "Hi, I'm Gary Gygax, and I designed a module with the explicit intent of killing your characters. Let's see if you can beat me!"

"What? You took the adamantium doors off and sold them for more treasure than exists in the dungeon? poo poo. Well, next time they're just valueless illusions!"

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

can't say that without explaining

Its stats and moves are not very good

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The ghost sub could work if the rear legs and ball were dropped. The chains are actually an alright ghostly touch but it's way too much in combination with the poke ball. The message is too muddled with all those elements.

That is really the problem with this fangame, mechanical issues aside. The dev hurled too many themes and concepts in rather than choosing a couple things to focus on and develop. As a result, the tone and mood whip around and the game winds up goofy rather than touching or dark or whatever.

But on ghost types... Drifloon is the cutest ghost but gastly is still my fave. :shobon:

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

And again, when talking about fanmade games, Pokemon Sage takes the concept (pokeball mimic) and executes it a lot better.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

LupusAter posted:

And again, when talking about fanmade games, Pokemon Sage takes the concept (pokeball mimic) and executes it a lot better.

wanna pet that fish :3:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I think the names are doppole and artifish offhand

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GeneX posted:

Tomb of Horrors is actually fun though

I still remember reaching into the demons mouth to pull the "hidden switch" only to have my arm ripped off by the mini-portal in there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

"What? You took the adamantium doors off and sold them for more treasure than exists in the dungeon? poo poo. Well, next time they're just valueless illusions!"

If I recall correctly it was more like "these are ordinary valueless doors, with an enchantment on them that causes them to behave exactly like adamantium unless they're removed from the dungeon." Which always struck me as kind of a cop-out, but I guess you need that kind of thing to keep the players from just disassembling the entire dungeon using high-yield mining magic or something.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly it was more like "these are ordinary valueless doors, with an enchantment on them that causes them to behave exactly like adamantium unless they're removed from the dungeon." Which always struck me as kind of a cop-out, but I guess you need that kind of thing to keep the players from just disassembling the entire dungeon using high-yield mining magic or something.

If I ever run this, I'm speccing out a cloud of adamantium nanites. Adamantites.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

LupusAter posted:

Okay, that's just adorable, both forms. Though I'm guessing it'd be more frightening once it's mouth is open.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The whole thing was a dick move against people who just wanted to roll dice to check for traps, declare traps found, avoid traps, find boss, roll dice to kill boss, get loot.

You had to REALLY think outside the box to get through it all.

The final "boss" of the classic ToH was a skull that could only be hurt by +5 Weapons (really loving powerful weapons), literal gemstones being used as weapons (1pt of damage per 10k value!), Wizards casting spells from the Astral Plane (which was chock full of demons in the area) or Clerics smiting evil (of which they had limited uses per day)

It also didn't fight back at all but if you tried to touch it it would insta-gib you and eat your soul. If 8 people got eaten it would teleport the remaining party members loving miles away from the tomb with a curse making every attack made against them ALWAYS hit. Also if you were smart enough to ignore the skull and just go straight for the loot you would encounter a phantasm that wouldn't actually STOP you from taking the stuff but would threaten you enough that if the players preemptively hit it; then it would power up to a level-draining monster and ruin your face.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Genocyber posted:

The soundtrack is as bad as that second evolution :laffo:

There are a few good tracks but most of them are just way too...busy? Like there's way too much going on in them, even the more easy-going themes.

Bells aren't supposed to pitch-shift, that's not how bells work :negative:

Like, I can kind of see what they were going for with some of it but it just hits this sort of musical uncanny valley for me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LupusAter posted:

Oh my god, that angler fish is adorable. :swoon:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Okay, that's just adorable, both forms. Though I'm guessing it'd be more frightening once it's mouth is open.

according to the pokedex it's very friendly and plays with other pokemon using the lure, if nothing else

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

LupusAter posted:

I love this fish

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

LupusAter posted:

No, I'm sorry, these are real rear end pokemans.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 21, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That is a wonderful fish :3:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

LupusAter posted:

That's a cute fish. :3:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Then it gets even better when it evolves. What could be better than a sword? TWO SWORDS!

And what's even better than two Swords? A really BIG SWORD!
Aegislash looks like a Kirby boss and I love it.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

LupusAter posted:

Oh my god that fish :3:

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016

LupusAter posted:

I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him and call him George! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CoffeeAvenger posted:

I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him and call him George! :neckbeard:

Her name is clearly Bitey

• Locked thread