Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Someone must have beat Tarks rear end on a regular basis when he was a kid in school for him to project so hard like this. He really views himself as some kind of Sage Reddit psychoanalyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
big nipples, big wife

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qtYi1nwcs

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

cool new Polack jokes posted:

14 companies. Nobody is taking the fall here.

This right here.

Star Citizen MVP and Squadron 42 Episode 0.5 will both release, and probably be very lovely.

No-one will get jail-time. No-one will lose money through private lawsuits. 14 companies will have obfuscated all the income and expenditure preventing any liability falling on those at the top: Chris Roberts and co.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I could be wrong but this guy is a sperg.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

I could be wrong but this guy is a sperg.

I think we have a winner folks.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

At least in the UK when I looked at the companies house listing , his name was titled as owner/president/CEO/chief of hand waving for all the entities incorporated there

Hard to say in the US as I don't believe we have any way to see those documents

Christian Roberts of Wing Commander fame, or one of the hundreds of other people with the name Chris Roberts? :tinfoil:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Christian Roberts of Wing Commander fame, or one of the hundreds of other people with the name Chris Roberts? :tinfoil:

I did point out while browsing all the documents , that both Chris and Ortwin's names change spelling a few times over the companies, and the syntax they use for date of birth

Could be an attempt to create confusion

I'd have to go back and look and honestly that's way too much effort for this

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Quavers posted:

This right here.

Star Citizen MVP and Squadron 42 Episode 0.5 will both release, and probably be very lovely.

No-one will get jail-time. No-one will lose money through private lawsuits. 14 companies will have obfuscated all the income and expenditure preventing any liability falling on those at the top: Chris Roberts and co.

Get a refund.

And furthermore, you must have a SomethingAwful Forums Platinum Account to read this message!
:twisted:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Crowd-funded hit squads.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

Someone will notice the entire catalogue of around the verses and 10 for the chairman slowly being culled from the Web , that will be the indication the ele is imminent

I had not considered this. But it is likely that the first and only warning sign will be CIG "going dark" and scrubbing its own presence (evidence) from the internet, like how they're closing down the RSI forums in favor of the paper trail-free Discord Spectrum. Nobody will be able to prove they promised anything, unless someone is archiving all the YouTube shows that nobody watches or all the other communication that nobody pays critical attention to.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

do the backers even play this broken tech demo anymore?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Someone did the math but this patch theres an average of 20 people playing AC, Arccorp, Star marine, and the PU at any one time.

Star Citizen is about half as popular as this subforum.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Someone did the math but this patch theres an average of 20 people playing AC, Arccorp, Star marine, and the PU at any one time.

And that's assuming CIG isn't inflating their "thousands of players have played X hours" claim. I know when I had Star Citizen a solid 60% of my "playtime" was spent waiting for poo poo to load or getting locked in menus.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I think someone pulled this data off the leaderboards which theoretically tracks everyone who managed to finish installing the game. A feat in and of itself.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
loving finally. Caught. Up.
Had a hope that Gorf would return. It will never be the same.

Someone in the know or the profession of how those money laundering / shifting schemes work ( VIP / CIG via DarkOff ), should kickstart a 'post for dummies'.
It is fascinating.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

I had not considered this. But it is likely that the first and only warning sign will be CIG "going dark" and scrubbing its own presence (evidence) from the internet, like how they're closing down the RSI forums in favor of the paper trail-free Discord Spectrum. Nobody will be able to prove they promised anything, unless someone is archiving all the YouTube shows that nobody watches or all the other communication that nobody pays critical attention to.

Now I love a good conspiracy circle jerk as much as the next guy, but let's be real here. All this poo poo is archived, first of all. And second, while Croberts & Co. are dumb for trying the impossible, I truly believe they have/had good intentions (although we all know what they pave). While this will likely end up being bad for those who have skin in the game when the music stops , it's just going to be another bankrupt company. Maybe the principals willl end up having to give back some money (fraudulent transfer actions and the like), but I don't see anyone going to jail. It's not illegal to be a bad businessman.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

This thing is like an onion- the more layers you peel, the more it stinks- and now I see we're dealing with a cold-hearted professional con-man.

'professional' might be stretching it, if he was any good at his job he would've been out of the public eye before the PU hit

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Sappo569 posted:

I did point out while browsing all the documents , that both Chris and Ortwin's names change spelling a few times over the companies, and the syntax they use for date of birth

I'd just chalk that up to sloppy lawyering. Happens all the time. And a lack of attention to detail ain't a stretch when it comes to these folks, right?

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Sappo569 posted:

At least in the UK when I looked at the companies house listing , his name was titled as owner/president/CEO/chief of hand waving for all the entities incorporated there

Indeed, I will admit that I found it interesting that the U.K. divisions of CIG/RSI are not subsidiaries of the U.S. entities, but are instead sister companies with common ownership in the form of the Robertses and their lawyer friend. It means an insolvent CIG/RSI in a bankruptcy in the U.S. would not gain control over the foreign entities....

It's not a bad idea, but it is an idea borne of concern over the solvency of the various divisions, IMNSHO.

EDIT: Cleaning up ungrammatical stupidity on my part.

MinorInconvenience fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MinorInconvenience posted:

Indeed, I will admit that I found it interesting that the U.K. divisions of CIG/RSI are not subsidiaries of the U.S. entities, but are instead sister companies with common ownership in the form of the Robertses and their lawyer friend. It means an insolvent CIG/RSI in a bankruptcy in the U.S. would not gain control over the foreign entities....

It's not a bad idea, but it is an idea borne of concern over the solvency of the various divisions, IMNSHO.

EDIT: Cleaning up ungrammatical stupidity on my part.

Artwork of Nebula wasn't the only thing CIG borrowed from CCP Games - EVE Online also inspired them when Chris and Ortwin began designing the companies structure:

See also the following post for further examples :v:

Tippis posted:

How cute.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Don't worry. I've created a hate-sub on Reddit to chronicle all the deceit, misdirects, and over hype from Chris Roberts. Check it out: /r/starcitizen

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Nellistos posted:

loving finally. Caught. Up.
Had a hope that Gorf would return. It will never be the same.

Someone in the know or the profession of how those money laundering / shifting schemes work ( VIP / CIG via DarkOff ), should kickstart a 'post for dummies'.
It is fascinating.

And Something Jones, he was a great poster with his transcribing.

Lost some greats over the time.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Percelus posted:

do the backers even play this broken tech demo anymore?

No. And I am still a backer. The reason I have not refunded as of yet is because it isn't a lot and I want to go down as someone that Crobberts will owe once this thing Hindenburg's in case the whales go class action, I want a piece of that pie.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Kosumo posted:

And Something Jones, he was a great poster with his transcribing.

Lost some greats over the time.

I miss the gently caress out of reading his posts. I lurked here for over a year before I joined. He was one of the best.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
big jpegs, big life

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/a9jLh7i.gifv

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Star Citizen is about half as popular as this subforum.

I did a leaderboard analysis and found an average of 21 people in Star Marine last week. I didn't look at Arena Commando or the racing module, but based on previous history I'd expect to see roughly the same number of people in those modes (combined) as in Star Marine. Unfortunately, I currently do not have a way to analyze usage of the hangar module, the social module (aka ArcCorp) or, most regrettably, the PU.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

boviscopophobic posted:

I did a leaderboard analysis and found an average of 21 people in Star Marine last week. I didn't look at Arena Commando or the racing module, but based on previous history I'd expect to see roughly the same number of people in those modes (combined) as in Star Marine. Unfortunately, I currently do not have a way to analyze usage of the hangar module, the social module (aka ArcCorp) or, most regrettably, the PU.

Would all of this seem to suggest, perhaps, that the number of "Star Citizens" listed on the pledge page be somewhat, shall we say, inflated?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

MinorInconvenience posted:

Would all of this seem to suggest, perhaps, that the number of "Star Citizens" listed on the pledge page be somewhat, shall we say, inflated?

Assuming no chicanery, the count of "citizens" corresponds to the number of RSI accounts. So any free-fly participant, forums troll, etc. will count in that total, not to mention multiple accounts held by paying backers. I think it's reasonable to guess that the total number of users who have actually given money to RSI at some point is around 800K or below. Many of those will probably just have gotten a basic package and aren't paying attention to the game until it's officially released. The size of the active core fanbase (who are actually paying attention to the development, making big purchases, etc.) is not clear. Let's say it's a few tens of thousands. What the leaderboard statistics would seem at first glance to show is that either these core fans are eager to opt out of the leaderboards, or that the "EA" games (SM, AC, racing) aren't holding much appeal for them in their current state. Since most of the ~dreams~ are related to the PU or SQ42 -- nobody really wanted a worse Call of Duty in a big tin can -- the a priori expectation would be for the EA games to have lower traffic, so it's hard to draw any firmer conclusions.

Actually, it would be a worthwhile exercise to compare the leaderboards against other metrics of user engagement (forum activity, user flair, etc.)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

boviscopophobic posted:

Any chance you could pm me how you're parsing the data from the leaderboard pages? Navigating what appears to be Javascript page/gamemode selection is beyond my skills. I fancy doing some basic spreadsheet charting and summaries using all the data

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Quavers posted:

Any chance you could pm me how you're parsing the data from the leaderboard pages? Navigating what appears to be Javascript page/gamemode selection is beyond my skills. I fancy doing some basic spreadsheet charting and summaries using all the data

:10bux:*1.5 is about as whaley as I care to get on SA, so I don't have access to PM's. You can find me on the goon-infested Discord instead.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

DapperDon posted:

No. And I am still a backer. The reason I have not refunded as of yet is because it isn't a lot and I want to go down as someone that Crobberts will owe once this thing Hindenburg's in case the whales go class action, I want a piece of that pie.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I backed for $10 to upgrade to an Aurora LN after a buddy gifted me a package. It's worth my tenner to stay a backer and watch from steerage as Chris takes this Titanic full steam into ice bergs. I'm not really expecting anything though, from the game or the aftermath.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Now that ME:A is out, is the ELE here yet?

Asking for a friend.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sappo569 posted:

The only reason Ortwin is sticking around is because he probably gets paid a ridiculous salary to basically sit in his office all day and take 3 hour long lunch meetings with clients

Wait isn't that every lawyer in history ?

Sorry lawyer-goon , no offense

His salary is not as high as you think.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ManofManyAliases posted:

His salary is not as high as you think.

Yeah he shells out most of it to his companies.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

This is the most fantastic post in this thread so far.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/843957089248706565
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/843957670772162565

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
*washes up on some lonely beach, with bearded men in ragged uniforms still tightly clutching issues of famitsu close to their chests*

the wars are long over my friends~