Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I keep meaning to ask, is the gender of Corrin's kid random, and/or can you get a second kid of the other gender at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Just like Morgan, Kana's gender is the opposite of the avatar's, so playing as guy-Corn gets you girl-Kana, the better one, and girl-Corn gets you boy-Kana.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ChaosArgate posted:

Just like Morgan, Kana's gender is the opposite of the avatar's, so playing as guy-Corn gets you girl-Kana, the better one, and girl-Corn gets you boy-Kana.

Are there any good supports that highlight this?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have one Heart seal for Kana and her choices are Swordmaster, Master of Arms, Hoshido Noble, Kinshi Knight, Falcon Knight.

I'll keep the other one for now, seems too early to heart seal someone when most of team haven't even learned their promoted class's first skill.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Well, since we banished Ryoma, we could do with a good Swordmaster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That stupid death renewed their spirit??? The hell did you tell them, Corrin?

Gee, I wonder who we'll meet in this chapter

The trees are blocking the whole sky. I can't even see the moon from here. It feels as though we've been walking in darkness forever.
They say this is the darkest region in the kingdom of Nohr. Which is precisely why we're here. Most Nohrians would have a hard time tracking us through this area. Once we make our way through the forest, we'll be just outside the capital.

The army is STILL chasing you? Is anybody bothering to attack Hoshido while literally the 4 strongest warriors are on the run?

Wait, the Dragon dimension is canon. Why can't they just wait out the army...

Don't worry, Lord Corrin. I know my way around this place pretty well. Flora and I used to camp in this area in the summers. Between the two of us, we had every nook and cranny mapped out.
Oh...Flora. *sob*
Felicia...I'm so sorry.
I'm sorry...I need a moment.
Of course. Take all the time you need. I can't imagine what you're going through.
Thank you, Lord Corrin. I know we're all suffering in one way or another. I'm just trying to hold it together.
We're all here for you, Felicia.

*Time passes as the group walks through the swamp*

But it feels like we've been walking in circles for hours.
Hmm? I don't think so. It probably just feels that way because it's so dark.
I hope you're right. Oh, wait. There's something different.
What is it?
I...I don't know. It's over there. Something glowing...
Is it some sort of animal?

No. It's giving off an unnatural light.
I don't like the looks of this...
Do you think they could be more of Iago's optical illusions?

Oh right, that thing. The thing that's literally never come up again despite being an overpowered ability.

I don't know, but I'd rather not find out. Let's get out of here!
It's too late—we're surrounded. Let's hope these...things...aren't hostile.
I...I think this place is a graveyard.

That would explain the ghostly spirits?

I almost forgot they were in this game.

We're in trouble, Ryoma—I can barely see anything, let alone defend myself!
There's something strange about these Faceless. It's almost like they're...waiting. Usually they attack anything in sight without hesitation.
Someone must be controlling them!
You may be right, but knowing that will do us little good when we can't see anything!

???: Hoshido has made you soft.
Who's there?!
???: That's quite an attitude to take with a voice in the dark, is it not? See for yourself. Can you still not see me...

I'm so shocked, person who was named in the chapter screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S2c7JUNoHo

The arena fills with darkness before he steps out on horseback and using Brynhildr to make the earth shake, reducing the graves surrounding him to rubble.

Nohrian law is blunt on the subject of traitors. There is only one punishment... The sentence is death.

Opening Dialogue, Part 2Edit

What, not gonna shake your butt at me too?

Yes, Brother. I'm here to settle the score once and for all. No more running or hiding. It's time to answer for your betrayal! I've even gone to the trouble of trapping you in a proper graveyard. After all, the brother I once loved is dead. It's only fitting.
That's some big talk from a reedy little bookworm! We won't back down until we defeat your father, King Garon. Why don't you come down here and fight us face-to-face?

Bookworm? Is that seriously the best insult you got

You're quite confidence for a coward who shoots his foes with arrows from afar. If you think you can best me, so be it. Let's see how long you can survive my game. You Hoshidans think you're a ray of light in the world, but you're all hypocritical fools. True power comes from a heart forged in darkness!

Aren't you a mage? You don't exactly have the high ground on cowardly long range tactics

Or literally cheating

Aaaaugh!
Takumi? What happened?
Ow! Eyaaah!
Ughhh...I'm getting so...tired. So...drained...
It's the swamp! Everyone, get out of the water right now!
Strange, it doesn't seem to be affecting me...

I have so many question on how that works.

No matter. There will be no escape today. In the dark forest, where even the moon and stars dare not shine... All sources of light shall be swallowed up in my darkness, because I will it so.
Hoshidans, who have spent all their days in the light, can't survive without it. I'm surprised it didn't work against you too. This only goes to show you were meant to side with us. You chose wrong, Brother.

Wait a second

There's a literal, physical application of light and darkness he's talking about. It's not a metaphor.

....I need a minute here

Please, Leo! Stop this! I don't wish to fight you, Brother!
Ugh, how annoying. I would love nothing more than to best you in battle. Xander always lavished you with praise while ignoring my accomplishments... Camilla was the same. She...she always loved you more than me! You were Xander's perfect little toy soldier and Camilla's dress-up doll!

Leo, did...did you want to be Camilla's dress-up doll...?

I've been keeping all this in for so long, but it doesn't matter anymore. Had I known you'd betray us, I wouldn't have bothered being intimidated by you!!

The double exclamation points is just making you look silly, honestly

Do...do you really mean that? Have you always resented me? I thought...we were so close. Did you never truly love me? Tell me!
...I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of answering that. I'm just going to kill you now.
Leo, no!

Super small map, and it's a Kill Boss mission so super short. I'm actually going to take this time to lock in party members so I don't have to keep typing the same name another 10 times.

Vote 5 times for who plays in this chapter, top 3 gets locked in for the rest of the game: http://www.strawpoll.me/12574238

Vote for Kana's new class: http://www.strawpoll.me/12574223

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 21, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tae posted:

Vote 5 times for who plays in this chapter, top 3 gets locked in for the rest of the game: http://www.strawpoll.me/12574238

Vote for Kana's new class: http://www.strawpoll.me/12574238

These are going to the same poll.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Tae posted:

Vote for Kana's new class: http://www.strawpoll.me/12574238

You posted the same link twice.
E. Sigh. Should have refreshed the page before posting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Corrected.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I dunno, seems like Kana going to Swordmaster is the only logical choice. I mean, not like we ever got any natural Samurai or Swordmasters right? :v:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Can we have current stats so we know what we're voting for?

Kana - Statistically? Pretty much a second Avatar, regardless of their genders. That "samurai" Tae showed on her class list is solely because his Corrin has Samurai; Kana always inherits the Avatar's secondary class since they share a default class (a common thing for child units). As a character... well, kinda like her, really. Only kinda though.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

BlackPersona posted:

I dunno, seems like Kana going to Swordmaster is the only logical choice. I mean, not like we ever got any natural Samurai or Swordmasters right? :v:

The other four classes are already represented, so may as well.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
No wonder Corrin looks like a vampire if Nohr has an affinity for darkness. It makes sense!

Now why do the rest of the siblings not look like vampires?

YOU SAY ONE THING AND BRING UP MORE QUESTIONS GAME :argh:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

No wonder Corrin looks like a vampire if Nohr has an affinity for darkness. It makes sense!

Camilla looks like a succubus. Does that count?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Leo's lines make me nauseous.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Leo's not even a sorcerer

his class can only use Anima magic

his personal tome summons a goddamn tree

what is with all this "darkness" poo poo

Seriously, he's the guy who spared the random prisoners at the request of his little brother, now he's going all necromancer on us? When the hell did this happen?

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

The initial idea for Nohr was a nation of vampires. They took a step back from making it literal, but did keep the fantasy gothic style.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Seriously, he's the guy who spared the random prisoners at the request of his little brother, now he's going all necromancer on us? When the hell did this happen?
We betrayed Nohr and now everyone there has to be insane and/or idiotic in order to justify Corrin fighting them because the plot says so. Except Charlotte and Benny, who were just working for their paychecks so they get to live.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well you see before you were Leos brother, but now you're a traitor.

And that's terrible.

All this traitor talk makes me wonder if anyone did Leo/Takumi in the style of TR-8R Stormtrooper from The Force Awakens yet.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AradoBalanga posted:

We betrayed Nohr and now everyone there has to be insane and/or idiotic in order to justify Corrin fighting them because the plot says so. Except Charlotte and Benny, who were just working for their paychecks so they get to live.

You say that like Corrin has to leave in order for everyone to start acting like a moron.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Leo's used the tree thing like 10 minutes into the game.

I even called him Treeo at one point.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
Sadly, there's a precedent for nationality seeking magic in this franchise. (Hello Blood Pacts)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...see, now I'm just imagining that the Hoshidan Ultimate Weapon is SUCH A NICE DAY OUTSIDE.

Or, uh, something.

Solar death ray? No, that's Suikoden.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tae posted:

Leo's used the tree thing like 10 minutes into the game.

I even called him Treeo at one point.

:cripes:

This is what I get for being distracted by Flora's death, followed by the Hoshidan Lannisters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You'd think at some point that the Hoshidans and Nohr families being dawn and dusk dragon descendants would explain the interactions, not "Hoshidans are like plants, they need SUNLIGHT TO LIVE MWUAHAHAHA"

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Kinda surprising how Rinkah's apparently getting locked in (as opposed to Ryoma, a higher-tier unit, getting locked out) considering how much trouble she was having before.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Kinda surprising how Rinkah's apparently getting locked in (as opposed to Ryoma, a higher-tier unit, getting locked out) considering how much trouble she was having before.

People love a good comeback story, and she's got a cool design.

As for Kana, I've tried to use her and given up. She's basically just shittier Corrin from a gameplay standpoint. Worse growths, no unique weapon, less class access. Plus you're sending a 12 year old out to kill people for you, and that just feels awkward.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

The double exclamation points is just making you look silly, honestly

We know what Pratchett had to say about people who talk/think with multiple punctuation marks.

chiasaur11 posted:

People love a good comeback story, and she's got a cool design.

As for Kana, I've tried to use her and given up. She's basically just shittier Corrin from a gameplay standpoint. Worse growths, no unique weapon, less class access. Plus you're sending a 12 year old out to kill people for you, and that just feels awkward.

Have kids mechanics changed? Because kids tended to be "parents but strictly better" in 4 and awakenings.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Omobono posted:

We know what Pratchett had to say about people who talk/think with multiple punctuation marks.

Have kids mechanics changed? Because kids tended to be "parents but strictly better" in 4 and awakenings.

A child's growth rates are an average of their base growths and those of their variable parent, and their starting stats are based off of these averaged growths. Kids are no longer superhumans here, and can be screwed if you give them a parent with poisonously bad growths.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

That's what happens to your brain on Garon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Omobono posted:

Growths are more specialized and kids are scaled based on story, so you don't have cases like robin and chroms lucina starting out super powerful at level 10.

Persona skills are also a factor. A lot of kids have awful pskills.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Persona skills are also a factor. A lot of kids have awful pskills.

Not all of them, admittedly, but they can be pretty bad. You'll see when Tae gets around to recruiting more of them, I'm sure; some are so situational that they may as well not have personal skills at all (like Kana's, with how we're voting), while others are just plain BAD.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

ajkalan posted:

A child's growth rates are an average of their base growths and those of their variable parent, and their starting stats are based off of these averaged growths. Kids are no longer superhumans here, and can be screwed if you give them a parent with poisonously bad growths.

I really think it's more interesting this way, since optimizing children is fun for nerds like me. Unfortunately, it does mean some kids will be mediocre at best and some parents will end up hamstringing any child they have.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

inthesto posted:

I really think it's more interesting this way, since optimizing children is fun for nerds like me.

No kidding. Messing around with the calculator was just about the only thing that kept me going in the months-long rift between the US and the worldwide release, and I'm gonna miss it when future games ditch kids because of the (not undeserved) reception to how they were handled here.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I fell that a problem is: why the hell are kids even in this game?
In 4 and Awakening, massive amounts of the plot revolved around the kids. Seliph and Lucina are there leading armies and taking names because the machinations of their respective Dragon Satan killed their dads and plunged their countries into chaos, and they're going to make right again what went wrong.
All the kids in both games bear the scar of their parents dying before their time, of having to hide from either Loptr cultists or the Risen.

You literally can't not have Seliph or Lucina, Sigurd auto-marries Deirdre and Awakenings will force an S-rank on Chrom with a nameless, faceless extra if it has to, because their kids are so central to the story.

Why is Kana here? What does she add to the story, to the point of justifying the Hyperbolic Time Chamber?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 21, 2017

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
The kids are here, because kids were in Awakening, were hugely popular in conjunction with the marriage system, so Fates needed to have them too. I'm sure that was as far as their thought process went before sitting down, realising they had to justify a reason for them to be there, and collectively went "Shiiiiiit".

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omobono posted:

I fell that a problem is: why the hell are kids even in this game?
In 4 and Awakening, massive amounts of the plot revolved around the kids. Seliph and Lucina are there leading armies and taking names because the machinations of their respective Dragon Satan killed their dads and plunged their countries into chaos, and they're going to make right again what went wrong.
All the kids in both games bear the scar of their parents dying before their time, of having to hide from either Loptr cultists or the Risen.

You literally can't not have Seliph or Lucina, Sigurd auto-marries Deirdre and Awakenings will force an S-rank on Chrom with a nameless, faceless extra if it has to, because their kids are so central to the story.

Why is Kana here? What does she add to the story, to the point of justifying the Hyperbolic Time Chamber?

Kids are in Fates because everyone really liked them (as characters and superfluous min/maxing), and IS likes making money and were afraid people wouldn't like Fates if it didn't have kids. At least that was the idea, since the general response was ambivalence and Fates sold gangbusters regardless.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Considering how Fates's writing has been going so far, not actively detracting from the plot is adding to the story at this point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

inthesto posted:

Considering how Fates's writing has been going so far, not actively detracting from the plot is adding to the story at this point
too bad that the kids actively do detract from the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
At least in this game the kids can be completely ignored; it is theoretically possible to beat the game and not even know the mechanic is in the game. (You may call bullshit, but I've spoken with a guy that was genuinely surprised that there were more child characters than just Lucina and Morgan.)

• Locked thread