Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bloodychill posted:

Final Fantasy 11 could be played on 360 and PS2 and I think server were completely platform independent. That would be the only time I could think of.

I was just going to say that's the only one i know of. Same servers regardless of platform.

e: more Blasto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Final Fantasy 11 could be played on 360 and PS2 and I think server were completely platform independent. That would be the only time I could think of.
And I guess somebody didn't like that, cause its never gonna happen for FF14.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Blasto Renaissance, brought to you by: an illiterate goon.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm sad to say I got the platinum for Horizon last night, so it's time for me to start another game. We have the following options.

Nioh (borrowed copy)
Uncharted trilogy -> Uncharted 4

I had been slogging through UC1 in order to make my way to UC4, before HZD stole my attention. I'm very tempted to start on Nioh, but I'll likely never get back to the Uncharted games. Oh what to do.

It would probably be more polite to play the borrowed game first. That's my justification!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Supposedly it's entirely on Microsoft not wanting cross-platform play without more restrictions than S-E was willing to eat.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

homeless snail posted:

I vaguely remember hearing that MS demanded their own servers for FF14 on the bone but it might just been their own fud to deflect away why they didn't want to put in the effort to convince SE to make any sort of port at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Play Nioh and see how you take to it, as it is probably a very divisive game. Then you'll know whether to stick with that or go back to the Uncharted series (which is also very good)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can think of at least three times I've heard a developer say "We would love to have PS4 and XB1 crossplay but Microsoft simply won't let us do it".

At this stage they kinda have nothing to lose though, right? I mean what's the player population on each system look like? XB1 is so far behind that I would think "having more people to play against" would only help them, especially if they institute some kind of "rivalry" system.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Play the Uncharted games some lighter story driven stuff is always fun between big long rear end RPGs and they are really good.

precision posted:

I can think of at least three times I've heard a developer say "We would love to have PS4 and XB1 crossplay but Microsoft simply won't let us do it".

At this stage they kinda have nothing to lose though, right? I mean what's the player population on each system look like? XB1 is so far behind that I would think "having more people to play against" would only help them, especially if they institute some kind of "rivalry" system.

Oh I'm sure Developers and publishers would love it. It would only be a net benefit to them. This is clearly on Sony/MS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

X-Box having (or having had) the 'bigger' online base is actually a major selling point of their system and supposedly a fairly good money maker for them. If that's changed then it is probably them not adjusting to the times.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

precision posted:

They lose developers leveraging Microsoft's cloud services, I'm guessing

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm sad to say I got the platinum for Horizon last night, so it's time for me to start another game. We have the following options.

Nioh (borrowed copy)
Uncharted trilogy -> Uncharted 4

I had been slogging through UC1 in order to make my way to UC4, before HZD stole my attention. I'm very tempted to start on Nioh, but I'll likely never get back to the Uncharted games. Oh what to do.

It would probably be more polite to play the borrowed game first. That's my justification!

Nioh is awesome, but is Souls like and not for everyone. UC is pretty standard 3rd person adventure game that have great setpieces and an enjoyable enough story. Both are really good.

ImpAtom posted:

X-Box having (or having had) the 'bigger' online base is actually a major selling point of their system and supposedly a fairly good money maker for them. If that's changed then it is probably them not adjusting to the times.

Is this really true, I thought the PS4 outsells the Xboxone 2 to 1 in console sales alone.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I would guess having sold about half the amount of Xboxes as PS4s probably affects the player numbers

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I got ending C of nier:A

Artists depiction of my mental state: :confused: :psyduck:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the 3rd playthrough is really good

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ImpAtom posted:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Picked up nier automata tonight to check out tonight if i can get myself to stop playing stardew valley
Still waffling on my mass effect pre-order

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Seedge posted:

There was talk of Rocket League doing it.

It technically exists in rocket league, but only for custom games, not matchmaking. I have played with my friend on my ps4 while he's on pc.

Edit: also, despite all the bitching about Nier yesterday, I'm starting to get into now that I'm on Route B. I understand the game mechanically pretty well and I know​ where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do. It's pretty cool.

The thread for it is also great and very supportive.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Regy Rusty posted:

I got ending C of nier:A

Artists depiction of my mental state: :confused: :psyduck:

You might as well go back to it and get ending D. Takes no more then 5 minutes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snak posted:

It technically exists in rocket league, but only for custom games, not matchmaking. I have played with my friend on my ps4 while he's on pc.

Edit: also, despite all the bitching about Nier yesterday, I'm starting to get into now that I'm on Route B. I understand the game mechanically pretty well and I know​ where I'm supposed to go and what I'm supposed to do. It's pretty cool.

The thread for it is also great and very supportive.

This make me extremely happy

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

Match-making at least used to occur between PS4 and PC players. Maybe they changed it or I hallucinated that whole thing. In any case, there are quite a few non-FPS games that have cross-platform play between PS4 and PC. Especially MMO's.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Still waffling on my mass effect pre-order

Friend, if ever there was a "maybe wait a bit and see how it shakes out" situation, this is that. You don't need the Deluxe Golden Pathfinder Pre-order Gun Nutz (Truck Nutz For Your Gun) Exclusively At GameStop, you really don't.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Friend, if ever there was a "maybe wait a bit and see how it shakes out" situation, this is that. You don't need the Deluxe Golden Pathfinder Pre-order Gun Nutz (Truck Nutz For Your Gun) Exclusively At GameStop, you really don't.

That and i got nier plus a 50 buck gift card to gamestop
I can grab bloodborne and last of us tonight without dropping a penny
Maybe doom

Not sure if I'll get pissed at bloodborne or not. Never played any dark souls

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
My experience with From Software was that I bought and played Dark Souls for PC and hated it. Then I got the 360 version for free on Xbox 360 and tried it again and loving hated it. Then I bought Bloodborne, and I loved it, and it somehow fixed my brain and made me realize how to have fun with the previous games in the franchise too.

Off-topic: Hbomberguy found my journey through the Soulsborne games so revelatory he made a feature-length YouTube video about it which half a million people have watched. Sometimes I remember that and I don't quite know what to think about it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Match-making at least used to occur between PS4 and PC players. Maybe they changed it or I hallucinated that whole thing. In any case, there are quite a few non-FPS games that have cross-platform play between PS4 and PC. Especially MMO's.

Street Fighter V has crossplay, not sure about any other fighters.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Instant Grat posted:

My experience with From Software was that I bought and played Dark Souls for PC and hated it. Then I got the 360 version for free on Xbox 360 and tried it again and loving hated it. Then I bought Bloodborne, and I loved it, and it somehow fixed my brain and made me realize how to have fun with the previous games in the franchise too.

Off-topic: Hbomberguy found my journey through the Soulsborne games so revelatory he made a feature-length YouTube video about it which half a million people have watched. Sometimes I remember that and I don't quite know what to think about it.

You are the person that hbomberguy was talking about in that vid? That is kinda great.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bloodychill posted:

You are the person that hbomberguy was talking about in that vid? That is kinda great.

Yeah we played through it while he was visiting me in the summer

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Play the Uncharted games some lighter story driven stuff is always fun between big long rear end RPGs and they are really good.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Play Nioh and see how you take to it, as it is probably a very divisive game. Then you'll know whether to stick with that or go back to the Uncharted series (which is also very good)

unlawfulsoup posted:

Nioh is awesome, but is Souls like and not for everyone. UC is pretty standard 3rd person adventure game that have great setpieces and an enjoyable enough story. Both are really good.

I will pick back up where I left UC1 and get to Nioh eventually. I expect something similar to Souls with Nioh, which might be a little too much coming off of HZD. UC1 is pretty brainless so it will be a nice pallet cleanse.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Endings D and E complete

Wow, that was

Wow

I'll come to the Nier thread with a few questions eventually once I'm done clearing up the rest of the stuff I want to do with the game.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok, I got Horizon and Nier

poo poo, what do I play first

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Horizon

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
gently caress me UC1 is clunky as gently caress coming off of Horizon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

uncharted 1 is 10 years old now, so that's a given

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

uncharted 1 is 10 years old now

:negative:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok, I got Horizon and Nier

poo poo, what do I play first

I got both within a few days of each other and they both seriously rule. But, i've played about ten times as much Nier.

I...i just can't stop.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

a kitten posted:

I got both within a few days of each other and they both seriously rule. But, i've played about ten times as much Nier.

I...i just can't stop.

Good. I love good button mashing ARPGs so I'm excited. They seem to be hard to find

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Play Horizon first it's loving amazing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Play Horizon first it's loving amazing.

Play Nier first it's loving amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Play Nier first. Horizon's open world and quality of life features will make it rough to get into Nier after it.

For me, going from Horizon to Nier made Nier seem ugly and obtuse. It's neither, but it's kind of like how seeing Grindhouse in the theatre made it harder to appreciate​ Deathproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Snak posted:

Play Nier first. Horizon's open world and quality of life features will make it rough to get into Nier after it.

For me, going from Horizon to Nier made Nier seem ugly and obtuse. It's neither, but it's kind of like how seeing Grindhouse in the theatre made it harder to appreciate​ Deathproof.

I second this. Horizon is so goddamn lush and vibrant and firmly "next-gen" looking that going from it to NieR was really rough, and for a while turned me off. I eventually decided that instead of pushing through with the main story, I'd just spend some time doing all the side quests. That ended up endearing me to the story and world, and I'm not firmly in "NeiR rocks" territory, but it was a massively uphill climb full of systems and features that aren't terribly well explained (and that open up a bunch more once you play more of the game). I'm into my second run-through now for path B, and I'm loving how the perspective change is more than just a few cutscenes.

So yeah, NieR is fantastic, but the shock of going from Horizon to it was such that I almost put it down and didn't pick it up again until "later" (read: months from now). I'm glad I didn't, but Horizon has an amazing ability to just pull you into the world, and it'll be a really tight, polished complement to what NieR is doing - especially because the story in both games is great for different, equally valid reasons.