Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm so busy these days that an entire day spent gaming legitimitely feels lIke a productive use of my time.

It's hard to chip away at massive games when you only pop in for an hour or so every night, and newer, shinier games keep coming out every other week!

It's both amazing and terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

KingSlime posted:

I'm so busy these days that an entire day spent gaming legitimitely feels lIke a productive use of my time.

It's hard to chip away at massive games when you only pop in for an hour or so every night, and newer, shinier games keep coming out every other week!

It's botg amazing and terrible

i spent like five minutes going... breath of the gild... buy one, two get.... bump on the gop

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Is there going to be a summer drought this year for people to use to catch up with the ton of good releases over the past 6 months? I get the feeling a lot of people are going to need it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Well, Yakuza 6 and kiwami are supposed to be coming this summer. Then there's also splatoon 2, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the summer release schedule.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
that said, persona 5 is around the corner so we're all hosed either way

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The older I get the more I wish games were a bit more economical and respected my time a little more. Edit everything down, no filler, just smooth goodness that goes down easy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am kind of glad that ME:A seems bad, because it gives me a clear path from Nier to Persona 5. Then I guess I'll figure out what's next after that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Well, Yakuza 6 and kiwami are supposed to be coming this summer. Then there's also splatoon 2, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the summer release schedule.

Kiwami yes, they're holding 6 out for "early 2018" which is smart because it gives people time to play 0 and Kiwami and not be burned out.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Forgot to comment on this but

Quest For Glory II posted:

it's me, marga mon

That sure is a Man of Action cartoon alright

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's approximate game completion percentage, i.e. how often do you finish a game you start? (I guess being "finished" with a game is also pretty subjective and often dependant on what kind of game it is, but I dunno, make something up)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
5-10% maybe, leaning towards indies and shorter games

Longer games I tend to start and get my fill so to speak before moving on, as gaming is still in a rough undeveloped state when it comes to padding and sometimes the first 20 hours are better than the next 60 anyways

From soft games I always beat though

E: Oh yeah and I'm "finished" when I feel like it, some games I'm driven to do completion stuff but this is extremely scarce, most games I do beat these days I just try to see the credits

I favor challenging games that border on tedium at times though and I've noticed that the desire to go back for extras definitely suffers from this, cuz gently caress that

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 21, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have platinumed two games and beaten four others this year. At that pace this will be my most successful video gaming year in... well, probably ever.

If I play a game for more than a half hour I end up feeling compelled to see it through. So I guess my percentage would be pretty high, if you don't count the dozens of games I play for half an hour and then never play again. And in terms of actual number of games finished that would be pretty low, I barely could fill a top ten list last year

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

My wife watches anime almost literally every day on Crunchyroll and doesn't like a single show that has gross stuff. She just sticks to (...) Card Captor.

Um.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If i bought it (and actually started it, stupid Steam sales) i'll probably finish it. I don't really buy all that many games though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's approximate game completion percentage, i.e. how often do you finish a game you start? (I guess being "finished" with a game is also pretty subjective and often dependant on what kind of game it is, but I dunno, make something up)

I think I finish like 95% of the games I buy assuming I'm having fun with them (but I also only play games on consoles/handhelds so I don't have a huge steam backlog) I also like collecting platinum trophies which maybe helps too. There are times where I stop playing a game halfway through or only play the first hour but I pretty much always go back to it eventually (this exact thing just happened with FFXV which I bought at launch, and a couple months back I went back and platinumed Yakuza 5 2 years after importing it)

I think it's maybe the vita that has my lowest completion percentage because I'll buy games on sale then not play them and eventually need to clear space

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

If I start it, chances are at around 50% that I'll finish it. If I bought it on steam, chances are at 5% that I'll ever start it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

My wife watches anime almost literally every day on Crunchyroll and doesn't like a single show that has gross stuff. She just sticks to cute things like Chi (which is, in fact, the cutest thing) or kids' shows like Card Captor.

Cardcaptor is, uh, well,

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What's so gross about Card Captor, in the context of a 22 year old woman watching it? I legitimately don't know, I just thought it was a typical Magical Girl show with Tarot cards and a villain whose name is literally "Crowley" with two letters swapped.

e: goons expose the dark side of precision's "harmless" wife, film @ 11 :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

Hahahahaha

Less than 1% probably, I'm really good at moving on with a game or dropping it when I get distracted. Which is fine! I like dipping in and out of games and hacking away at them here and there.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

precision posted:

What's so gross about Card Captor, in the context of a 22 year old woman watching it? I legitimately don't know, I just thought it was a typical Magical Girl show with Tarot cards and a villain whose name is literally "Crowley" with two letters swapped.

Hell if i know, it's one of the most critically beloved manga and anime series around. I think there's a problematic teacher-student crush or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

It's like 80%+ with me. I only don't finish games I genuinely hate or are so boring I keep forgetting I'm playing them (Mario and Luigi Paper Jam), or if bugs prevent me from finishing them, like when my hookshot disappeared in the last stage of Darksiders, making it impossible to complete. Oh, and I guess some games are just too hard, like Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

The thing I almost never do is "platinum" a game by getting every achievement. I just don't have the willpower to do the really hard or annoying ones.

I do have a shameful amount of games I've never even started playing, though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Forgot to comment on this but

That sure is a Man of Action cartoon alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JNo0bcAMzM

This lasted over 50 episodes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
At least it looks like the games its based on

Which is the highest compliment any mega man cartoon can ever hope to receive, given the past track record

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Who gets married at 22

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nier is good.

https://twitter.com/UltimaBlues/status/843906346273689601

no spoilers or anything like that

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I have 4 games I've platted/100%'d. 3 of those were really fun and I only 100%'d them because I was enjoying them so much and wanted to keep enjoying every bit of them. 1 of those was a monstrous experience, and I can only attribute doing it to some form of acting out through self-harm. That game was Final Fantasy 10.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I think the only game i've ever platted (or w/e the 360 version would be called) is Dragon's Dogma, i came fairly close with Dark Souls though i guess.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I have 4 games I've platted/100%'d. 3 of those were really fun and I only 100%'d them because I was enjoying them so much and wanted to keep enjoying every bit of them. 1 of those was a monstrous experience, and I can only attribute doing it to some form of acting out through self-harm. That game was Final Fantasy 10.

That's a really fun game, but if you don't go hard for its combat and the story doesn't grab you, welp.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's a really fun game, but if you don't go hard for its combat and the story doesn't grab you, welp.

Oh it did and I really enjoyed the game for the most part, but 100%ing the game took me well beyond enjoying the game because of all the minigames. On top of that, I spent literally near two hours just filling out sphere grids. And I mean, just hitting the buttons to fill out the actual spheres and not including time spent farming the spheres necessary to fill them in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Oh it did and I really enjoyed the game for the most part, but 100%ing the game took me well beyond enjoying the game because of all the minigames. On top of that, I spent literally near two hours just filling out sphere grids. And I mean, just hitting the buttons to fill out the actual spheres and not including time spent farming the spheres necessary to fill them in.

D: Don't do that to yourself!

Also here:

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/844003140139540480

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

Virtually 100%, largely because I tend to stick to one campaign at a time. Especially in this generation with suspend and resume, when I hit New Game on something that something isn't leaving the console until the credits roll.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I really wish that Michael Pitt wasn't such an pain to work with because he's been amazing in almost everything I've ever seen him in but he keeps losing jobs because apparently he's a big ol' jerk.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I really wish that Michael Pitt wasn't such an pain to work with because he's been amazing in almost everything I've ever seen him in but he keeps losing jobs because apparently he's a big ol' jerk.

Who is Michael Pitt?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

StrixNebulosa posted:

Who is Michael Pitt?

He's who you hire when you can't afford Leonardo Dicaprio but want to eventually recast him for the next season.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Is there going to be a summer drought this year for people to use to catch up with the ton of good releases over the past 6 months? I get the feeling a lot of people are going to need it.

Injustice 2, Prey, and The Surge come out in May, and the only big games I know of that come out June/July/Aug are Tekken 7 and then Shadow of War 2 months later.

I think Splat2n and ARMS also come out during that timeframe but from June until like November I don't see any real confirmed big releases. It will give me enough time to finish Nier, Persona, and hopefully also play Horizon so I'm good with this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guilty Gear Rev 2 in May and Tekken and Splatoon are all I need for the rest of the year. Persona 5 alone will carry me for months most likely

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I forgot about Tekken and Prey 2. They're gonna be fun times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

Who gets married at 22

21 actually, we've been married 18 months.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

21 actually, we've been married 18 months.

Better luck next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'd like to thank Sapienza for teaching me how to play Hitman: the objective is not to stealth around the level and use quicksaves/loads to get myself out of scrapes, the objective is to have fun, and if that means taking potshots at everyone I meet with bricks, and learning how to escape from all of the guards in a level....then it's working!

...So I just went back to Paris and had a ball pulling off the challenge where I shoot the target while he's on the runway, and the one where I snap the lady's neck while she's fixing her laptop. I actually did it without much in the way of savescumming and it was fun and arghh I love this game!

• Locked thread